Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

I just wish it had a larger library of unique titles.

That does seem to be the bane of this console generation, eh? It's not like we have Mario and Sonic as flagship titles to two very unique game libraries anymore. Now games cost so much time and money to develop that most studios simply can't afford to be console-specific and still expect to see a profit, except in some very rare cases. And even then, most games eventually come out to the PC as a third platform.

Kinda makes me wonder if Denis Dayak wasn't right about how the consoles are going to be even more commoditized in the future.

Is it wrong for me to still be mightily pissed off, because there is still no BC with the new PS3 Slim?!

Understandable, but in all honesty I never play ps2 games anymore.

I do have a few unplayed ps2 games and of course anyone with a library

Of ps2 games has a ps2 anyway...ps3 has a lot of exclusives or a new sequel

Of a franchise like gt5 , gow or tekken. I don't think bc will really be missed once

You start getting new games imo. Eventually they'll add bc, but ps2 still makes money

For them. Now I could be wrong, but until the ps3 can prove itself to be very succesful, expect the ps2 to be around for a while longer and no bc for ps3.

I have a huge library of PS2 games. When I got my PS3 is put the PS2 away. I don't have the room for two consoles and the PS2 was a launch unit with a slightly problematic laser. My wife couldn't play her Harvest Moon game anymore. I still buy PS2 games to this day.

There are some rumors that Sony will released an update with en BC emulator for all PS3.... rumors

I just read this article. Sheds some interesting light on the BC thing but at the same time seems pretty inaccurate considering all the people I have talked who don't own a PS3 to want BC and is the biggest reason they DON'T buy it. Granted, we're only talking 20 some odd people but if this rumored firmware hits I think Sony will see a jump in sales all over the place.

well, I have the MGS edition of the PS3 from launch day (of MGS edition) and I have not once tried to play any PS2 games. I still have my PS2 and I haven't turned that on in a long time. I was tempted to trade in my MGS PS3 towards the PS3 slim, but I thought better of it since I don't play with the PS3 much. I don't even own any blu-ray discs. Right now, the PS3 is in my living room acting as the DVD player.

I was wondering about how the PS store games work. For example, I was tempted to d/l FF7 and play it on the PS3. Do the PS store games run on PS3s without BC?

Just wondering if it is worth it to keep my PS3 with the BC when the slim comes out. Hoping the slim runs cooler.

well, I have the MGS edition of the PS3 from launch day (of MGS edition) and I have not once tried to play any PS2 games. I still have my PS2 and I haven't turned that on in a long time. I was tempted to trade in my MGS PS3 towards the PS3 slim, but I thought better of it since I don't play with the PS3 much. I don't even own any blu-ray discs. Right now, the PS3 is in my living room acting as the DVD player.

I was wondering about how the PS store games work. For example, I was tempted to d/l FF7 and play it on the PS3. Do the PS store games run on PS3s without BC?

Just wondering if it is worth it to keep my PS3 with the BC when the slim comes out. Hoping the slim runs cooler.

Yes, it will play the PS store games even without the BC. PS One games can be played on any PS3 still. It's PS2 games that can't be played on PS3's w/o BC. There are only PS3 and PS one games on the store too.

And the Slim will run much cooler than the full size models.

I just read this article. Sheds some interesting light on the BC thing but at the same time seems pretty inaccurate considering all the people I have talked who don't own a PS3 to want BC and is the biggest reason they DON'T buy it. Granted, we're only talking 20 some odd people but if this rumored firmware hits I think Sony will see a jump in sales all over the place.

Yeah, I don't really buy into their line of reasoning. I can think of only a handful of Gamecube or Xbox original games I still feel like playing, but I can think of a crap ton on the PS2 (Onimusha, Devil May Cry, the MegaTen games, the Fatal Frame trilogy, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3, the Ratchet & Clanks, Ace Combat 4, 5, and Zero, the God of War games, Mega Man Anniversary Collection, and Mega Man X Collection, just off the top of my head...).

Some games, like Persona 4 and Devil Summoner 2, are relatively new games.

I don't know how much money Sony's saving by not including BC in the PS3, but it seems like it couldn't be worth it. Unless they expect people to buy PS2's? As far as I know, PS2 sales are actually still very strong.

I like Sony stuff alot but I wouldn't have bought any PS3 that wasn't backwards compatible.

When I heard that Sony was phasing out all the BC-capable consoles and that the MGS4 bundle was going to be last SKU to be backwards compatible, I was kinda miffed since either I will be dropping half-a-grand on a console or I totally missed out on BC. Luckily Ebay (and *cough* shitty Walmart) were running their respective promos at the time, so I was able to get backwards compatible PS3 for less :).

Anyway, I still play a lot of PS2 games on my PS3. My old PS2 can no longer play CD-based games and is having trouble playing DVD games as is, now I just run an exploit on it and play whenever and whatever games I could never get anymore.

Also, I never liked the idea of buying multiples of the same thing, Especially for games, movies, software, and music... It fees like a waste.

If the rumor of Sony bringing back BC at some point is true, kudos to them.

Edited by shiroikaze

I figured as much. At this point, I don't believe it's supposed to be a cost-saving measure anymore. If future gamers want to play classic PS2 titles, Sony would rather have them purchase them from the Playstation Network rather than run over to GameStop and pick up cheap used copies.

I'm really just going to have to chalk that no bc statement to pr talk. Bad pr anyway. He

Probably shouldn't be talking period lol. Sony says a lot things. They still want ppl to buy

Ps2, its competing with the wii.

Also even if they did release downloadable ps2 games, wouldn't the ps3 STILL need to have

Bc emulation??? Reading dvds has never been a problem, just ps2 software on it.

I don't really care for a slimmer form factor or the power savings really lol waste, though if they come out with a satin silver slim I may have to consider it. I decided to buy a Drake's Fortune bundle rather than the Slim. $399 was a good price for Drake's and PAIN, neither of which I had yet. Coupled with teh Force Unleashed patch that added trophies and the Hoth levels, I'm going to be on my PS3 alot.

Hopefully I'll get my 60GB back soon so I can pop my 320 back in there and have my PS2 BC and SACD.

Well since PSP seemed to be the new domain of Macross games. I decided to get one. Found a good used 3000 edition that came with extra cables and games. The PSP works and all. I figured out how to transfer media files from my computer on it it. I just have two technical issues.

TV Connection

Assuming the guy didn't give me a defective cable. I connect the cable. Change the channel to right one. When I got to which from the PSP monitor to the TV I get at the most a split second of audio/video before my TV says Mode not supported.

Wireless Connection

I search for wireless connections with the PSP. It finds mine put it on the top of the list at 100% but won't let me use it cause 'Security is not supported' I guess I have to manually input my data. Crap I don't know my wireless Key! Figure that out. Input the data to the PSP. Tested connection and get "adjust your security settings" or something like that. I start googling. Guess I need to log in to my Router. I type the Router number I get the User & Password access point. I don't know it. I tried the default but that is not working. Why don't I know these passwords and wireless key you ask? I bought this lap top went to high speed a few years ago from Best Buy. Got my their Geek Squad guys to set things up at reduced cost special promotion thingy. They came over created my wireless network and gave my an invoice of everything they did. I don't think they even gave me all my pass words. Only thing I remember them telling that it was important was not to hit the reset button if I didn't want to lose all the work that they did. Why wasn't I smart enough to make sure I got all that information then? I'm not a totally nerd. Like most boobs I just know plug and play. Only when some thing doesn't work do I learn about things.

Now I'm thinking if I can't access my router. Should I reset it and create a new network on my own so I can use the PSP. What if I screw up this process and can't get wireless at all. I know I can still use the computer through a cable connection but wireless is so important to me. I work early in the morning so I get to miss most prime time TV. I watch the previous nite's shows online in my bed room when I turning in. Computers cable connection is in the living room. If I lose my wireless I lose that wind down with some prime time tv time and I get very grumpy.

Well since PSP seemed to be the new domain of Macross games. I decided to get one. Found a good used 3000 edition that came with extra cables and games. The PSP works and all. I figured out how to transfer media files from my computer on it it. I just have two technical issues.

TV Connection

Assuming the guy didn't give me a defective cable. I connect the cable. Change the channel to right one. When I got to which from the PSP monitor to the TV I get at the most a split second of audio/video before my TV says Mode not supported.

Wireless Connection

I search for wireless connections with the PSP. It finds mine put it on the top of the list at 100% but won't let me use it cause 'Security is not supported' I guess I have to manually input my data. Crap I don't know my wireless Key! Figure that out. Input the data to the PSP. Tested connection and get "adjust your security settings" or something like that. I start googling. Guess I need to log in to my Router. I type the Router number I get the User & Password access point. I don't know it. I tried the default but that is not working. Why don't I know these passwords and wireless key you ask? I bought this lap top went to high speed a few years ago from Best Buy. Got my their Geek Squad guys to set things up at reduced cost special promotion thingy. They came over created my wireless network and gave my an invoice of everything they did. I don't think they even gave me all my pass words. Only thing I remember them telling that it was important was not to hit the reset button if I didn't want to lose all the work that they did. Why wasn't I smart enough to make sure I got all that information then? I'm not a totally nerd. Like most boobs I just know plug and play. Only when some thing doesn't work do I learn about things.

Now I'm thinking if I can't access my router. Should I reset it and create a new network on my own so I can use the PSP. What if I screw up this process and can't get wireless at all. I know I can still use the computer through a cable connection but wireless is so important to me. I work early in the morning so I get to miss most prime time TV. I watch the previous nite's shows online in my bed room when I turning in. Computers cable connection is in the living room. If I lose my wireless I lose that wind down with some prime time tv time and I get very grumpy.

You should be alright if you reset the router. The worst-case scenario I ever had setting up a network for anyone was that when I tried to use the password the router generated for a key, the computer gave me an error connecting. But I got around that by manually typing in the entire long key.

As for the TV cable, were you trying to play a game, or a video? Videos should be fine either way, but if you were trying to play a game on the TV there are two absolute musts:

-You must have a component cable for the PSP, not a composite.

-The TV you are connecting to must support progressive scan.

If you're meeting both of those requirements, I don't know what the problem is.

Edited by mikeszekely

How odd. I double checked that I had the right cable and TV. I did. Tried it again and it worked. I tried it several times last night and nothing. Now it works.

Better late than never, I suppose? :huh:

The 3000 actually doesn't require that you have a prog-scan tv, but a setting for it may need to be adjusted. As for your router, look up your manufacturer's page, and search your model number, they should have all the info you need to set it back up (default passwords & what not to log into the router for a first time setup). After that, it's a simple matter of selecting your encryption type (don't think DS will take above wep, but PSP/PS3 will take about anything), setting up your password, re-running the connection scan, and you're good to go.

Also, pre-order your copy of Ultimate Frontier!!

Edited by Keith

Is Ultimate frontier only in japanese? wonder if i will be able to figure it out if i order it from play asia...

also need to figure if having the limited edition is worth extra 30AUD to buy!!

FOSTER CITY, Calif., September 1, 2009 – Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) announced today a new and exclusive PlayStation®3 (PS3™) offering for the critically acclaimed God of War® franchise, God of War® Collection. Scheduled for release this holiday season, God of War Collection will feature reworked versions of both God of War® and God of War® II on a single Blu-ray Disc™ at full 1280 x 720 resolution. Both critically acclaimed games, which were originally developed for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, have been remastered with anti-aliased graphics running at 60 frames per second for a smooth gameplay experience on the PS3 system. Additionally, the Blu-ray Disc compilation will bring PlayStation®Network (PSN) trophy support to the franchise for the first time (included for both games). God of War Collection offers substantial value to PS3 consumers, the compilation of both best-selling games costing just $39.99 MSRP.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/08/31/...son/#more-15448

hell yeah

Edited by bandit29

I finally get to play MGS4 after getting my slim. It's a good game, but doesn't strike me as the killer-app to end all games. It's like 90% CG movie, 10% game... the CS' at the end of the Europe act literally went on for almost an hour <_< . I also didn't like the game structure, would have been better with 1 big map like the previous MGS'.

Is Ultimate frontier only in japanese? wonder if i will be able to figure it out if i order it from play asia...

also need to figure if having the limited edition is worth extra 30AUD to buy!!

Lots of Japanese text, with mostly English menus. You'll won't have too much of a problem.

I wish Play-Asia would extend that 20% off everything promo to preorders as well...