Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

Looks like MvC2 might be due around June 29th

In reporting its Q1 2009 financial results, Marvel Entertainment has revealed a short release schedule for its upcoming licensed products, including those that require the frantic mashing of buttons. Though the dates are noted as being subject to change, the fine purveyors of POW! indicate that Capcom's PSN and Xbox Live Arcade release of cross-company brawler, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, is currently set for release on June 29, 2009.

A quick flick through our Official Age of Apocalypse Calendar reveals that June 29th falls on a Monday, and since neither Xbox Live Monday nor PSN Monday exist, one may speculate that the game may be due sometime during the week of the 29th. We've asked Capcom for further information, though suspect that we'll receive little more than a 768-hit combo of non-commentar

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/05/report-m...une-29-release/

and this too

We'll definitely be looking at a lot of titles that have things like Street Fighter and Resident Evil in the title," Kramer said. "We're thinking about putting together a long list of the titles we're looking at, and then releasing it on Capcom Unity and having people vote on them. Ultimately we're looking at bringing between 20 and 40 titles to the PSN over the next several months."

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/04/capcom-p...and-psp-titles/

Edited by bandit29

Looks like Sony's doing some massive douche-baggery for Europe's Ghostbuster 3 release

So what? MS did the same thing for some of their games. As I see it Sony is finally showing a commitment to pushing the PS3 as a game console. Business as usual for the game companies.

That said, Valkyria Chronicles is really really good. Gameplay is fun, character development is awesome, and storyline is interesting. I've just finished Chapter 13 last night and

Alicia gets shot by a sniper bullet! Noooooo!!!!!

The two movies after that were kinda satisfying. Poor Welker.

is there a way to download updates from the net and then add do your ps3 via a USB?? I'm trying to download one of those required updates for COD world at war but I don't know if there's a problem with my WiFi or not, the download stops on my ps3 cause of an error after a few minutes...

i checked on the COD homepage but there isn't any

So what? MS did the same thing for some of their games. As I see it Sony is finally showing a commitment to pushing the PS3 as a game console. Business as usual for the game companies.

I don't like it when it happens period. There are reasons why there's no Politics genre of games.

I don't like it when it happens period. There are reasons why there's no Politics genre of games.

Can't argue with that but what can you do? As long as one company does it (Sony, MS, Nintendo) the others are going to do it.

Where'd you get your PS3? I'm seriously considering joining the club too and hearing how awesome Valkyria Chronicles is, sounds like a great game to jump on board with. Getting that FFXIII demo wouldn't hurt either :lol:

Got it from one of the local shops over here. =)

Bought SF4 a few days back. All the memories started coming back and I felt like a kid again... and I realized how much I still suck at it :p Ah well, still fun!

Anybody bought the Wolverine game? Seems the reviews are saying it's a pretty decent movie game and true to wolvie's nature... lotsa flying body parts ;)

Bought SF4 a few days back. All the memories started coming back and I felt like a kid again... and I realized how much I still suck at it :p Ah well, still fun!

Anybody bought the Wolverine game? Seems the reviews are saying it's a pretty decent movie game and true to wolvie's nature... lotsa flying body parts ;)

Ah man, I was hoping you'd ordered it from somewhere! :( Guess I'll just go to Wal-Mart or Best Buy to get it. Was thinking about getting the Cloud Edition PS3, but that's alittle more than I'm willing to spend :D

I'm playing Valkyria Chronicles right now, wow this game is extremly fun, I'm glad i checked this thread and overcame my reluctance to buy it. When i saw the ads I was sure I would dig it, but for some reason I just couldn't pull the trigger, boy am I glad I did.

I wonder what the odds are of some Gallian Chronicles model kits coming out, I would really like to build a model of the Edelweiss. I did a quick search all I could find was a few trading figures. With the anime out / coming out has anyone heard anything?

Played the Woverine demo...not bad. Its like playing God of War. The demo was more violent than the movie.

So I broke down and threw my money into Sony's billion dollar hole.

I don't have it yet, wifey bought it for me while visiting her parents (Oregon, no sales tax, YAY!) and she's not back yet. Not a bad deal, got the 80gb version with Motorstorm and Resistance included and a free second wireless controller for $399 and then an HDMI cable. I probably got raped and they'll probably drop the price by $200 within a couple months as is per usual whenever I buy a Playstation product, so this thing better be worth it!

Now, is GT5 coming out sometime this century or...?

Vostok 7

I don't have it yet, wifey bought it for me while visiting her parents (Oregon, no sales tax, YAY!) and she's not back yet. Not a bad deal, got the 80gb version with Motorstorm and Resistance included and a free second wireless controller for $399 and then an HDMI cable. I probably got raped and they'll probably drop the price by $200 within a couple months as is per usual whenever I buy a Playstation product, so this thing better be worth it!

Vostok 7

i think that the price drop will only be a hundred dollars, not $200. they probably won't drop the price until either july (start of third quarter) or october (start of fourth quarter).

sony just lost over a billion dollars

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/business...ml?ref=business

so i would expect them to postpone the price drop for as long as they can (but they need to drop it this year to get the holiday sales). that is what all of the analysts are saying 'cause they weren't able to get sony to drop the price back in april of 2009 (start of the 2nd quarter).

i'm waiting for gt5 too. from what i hear, it won't be out until 2010.

http://www.importtuner.com/features/impp_0...mo_5/index.html

the article is from august 2008.

i guess that i'll get me a ps3 when gt5 comes out. i'm still on the ps2 tho'. i only had gt4 and gta san andreas for the ps2 for years... but i finally bought tokyo xtreme racer zero and 3, tokyo xtreme drift 1 & 2, gta 3 & vice city, kingdom hearts, the devil may cry trilogy, jet li's rise to honor, tomb raider legend & anniversary, tenchu: wrath of heaven and the d1gp drift game from gamestop used (tomb raider anniversary, tokyo xtreme drift & the devil may cry trilogy were new) (i still need to get kingdom hearts 2) after i got my tax refund (i built a quadcore pc for music/video editing too). i started the games just to see if they worked and see how much room i had on my memory cards, so i have some catch up to do. i beat the speed king in tokyo xtreme racer zero and i got lost in the first stage of devil may cry, but kingdom hearts just got me addicted to it (i know tomb raider is a short game so i'm saving those for last). my ps2 collection almost turned out like my ps1 collection, all that i have is gt2, 007 tomorrow never dies and tomb raider (i bought tomb raider factory sealed in 2008 off of ebay 'cause we had no memory cards back in 97-98 and never beat it, lol).

anybody know when kingdom hearts for the ps3 comes out??? i went from 2 must have games (gt and tomb raider) to 3, lol. gta is not on that list 'cause i didn't own any gta games until san andreas.

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

i think that the price drop will only be a hundred dollars, not $200. they probably won't drop the price until either july (start of third quarter) or october (start of fourth quarter).

sony just lost over a billion dollars

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/15/business...ml?ref=business

so i would expect them to postpone the price drop for as long as they can (but they need to drop it this year to get the holiday sales). that is what all of the analysts are saying 'cause they weren't able to get sony to drop the price back in april of 2009 (start of the 2nd quarter).

Yeah, I was holding out for a price drop but when Sony came out officially and said "not any time soon", I lost hope. Found a good deal and just decided to run with it. I was using hyperbole though because this is my history with the Playstation:

Playstations 2s are $299 (this was ages ago), so I finally decided to get one. So I went and bought one, at $299. Within two months, they knocked them down to $199. Within a couple months of that they released the updated model with the quiet fan (the + model). I bought a JDM Ceramic White model (the one that came with GT4 Prologue) which had the quiet fan and other improvements, liked it a lot so I sold my old PS2 and decided to buy a new quiet one, at $199. What do you know, they came out with the Slim PS2 within a couple months of that :wacko: This time I was smart though, I waited for the Slim PS2 to drop to $99 before I bought it.

So yeah. PS pricing hates me.

I assume that the PS3 will drop in price a few months before Christmas, that seems to be the usual price dropping time. Either that or they will come out with some good bundles for a reasonable price. Either way, the Xbox 360 has had like two price drops since the PS3's last price drop so they got to do something or they will keep losing sales.

Vostok 7

Yeah, I was holding out for a price drop but when Sony came out officially and said "not any time soon", I lost hope. Found a good deal and just decided to run with it. I was using hyperbole though because this is my history with the Playstation:

Playstations 2s are $299 (this was ages ago), so I finally decided to get one. So I went and bought one, at $299. Within two months, they knocked them down to $199. Within a couple months of that they released the updated model with the quiet fan (the + model). I bought a JDM Ceramic White model (the one that came with GT4 Prologue) which had the quiet fan and other improvements, liked it a lot so I sold my old PS2 and decided to buy a new quiet one, at $199. What do you know, they came out with the Slim PS2 within a couple months of that :wacko: This time I was smart though, I waited for the Slim PS2 to drop to $99 before I bought it.

So yeah. PS pricing hates me.

I assume that the PS3 will drop in price a few months before Christmas, that seems to be the usual price dropping time. Either that or they will come out with some good bundles for a reasonable price. Either way, the Xbox 360 has had like two price drops since the PS3's last price drop so they got to do something or they will keep losing sales.

Vostok 7

oOo, i got my ps2 late. i must have the quiet fan model. i just know that my version is better than my friend's older models. their models won't play my gt4 game without freezing but my ps2 plays it perfectly. the slim ps2 version came out a couple months after i got mine. i never wanted the slim ps2 'cause i was going to buy the hard drive for the ps2. then, it turned out that the only game that needs the hard drive is ffxi, which i was thinking of buying at one time (my friend bought it and said that it was good). i almost bought the jdm version of the ps2 (not the slim version) so that i could play the sdf macross game. but i never bought it 'cause i never had the money for either the game or the system (lol, i was so broke in college). i never did buy the network adapter either 'cause i never bought socom 1 or 2. i wanted socom though 'cause my friends started a clan on there.

i finally have the money for the ps3 but i'm still waiting for gt5 (ok, not really, i'm saving it in case i get a teaching job overseas). i found out that tokyo xtreme racer is now import showoff on the xbox360... but i never did like the controller layout on the original xbox (i've played gta4 on my friend's xbox360 and it's just not the same w/o the ps controller).

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

Vostok 7

Hopefully this doesn't ruin your day. ;)

Slim PS3 revealed?

The box for the alleged PS3 model indicates a 120 GB hard drive. So far there's been a 20, 40, 60, two 80's (one with backwards compatibility, one without), and a 160. I wonder how many more hard drive variants Sony is going to come out with?

Ragdoll Kung Fu is free to download on PSN courtesy of Sprint. It looks like a neat game when you're realy bored and it's worth a look.

Anybody know what the latest update 2.76 does? "Fixes the playback quality of some PS3 format software". What the heck does that mean? Is MKV finally supported? (that last ones rhetorical.)

I wish.

I guess the update is for the Backwards Compatible capable PS3s?

Edited by shiroikaze

Slim PS3 revealed?

The box for the alleged PS3 model indicates a 120 GB hard drive. So far there's been a 20, 40, 60, two 80's (one with backwards compatibility, one without), and a 160. I wonder how many more hard drive variants Sony is going to come out with?

i think some of those hard drive decisions were made 'cause the hard drive's manufacturer stop making those smaller hard drives sizes.

i think those are pics of the bs3, not the ps3... lol, bootleg...

Ragdoll Kung Fu is free to download on PSN courtesy of Sprint. It looks like a neat game when you're realy bored and it's worth a look.

I almost paid money for that game a couple weeks ago. Been having a bunch of buddies over and we've been doing drunken Mortal Kombat versus DC (basically you have to take a swig of your beer whenever you're the victim of an uppercut) and thought RagDoll Kung-Fu would be a funny supplement. Good thing we've all been kinda busy recently and I didn't cause I just got this free download.

Game is pretty entertaining. Hilarious near parody of the 70s Kung-Fu/Martial Arts genre. Had to make my bare-chested Afro-wearing black guy. I'm wicket with the num chucks, too. :lol:

I thought there would be online multiplayer but just online at hte same console it appears (which is perfect for it's intended purpose, especially free). Get it while you can! Already have a couple trophies from it, which is bonus.

Slim PS3 revealed?

:blink: Deja vu.....deja vu...

I agree that a slimmer PS3 is the next logical step, but I don't think those pictures are legit. It's way too early for a slimmer PS3, the system isn't even 3 years old yet. I could believe that the plastic case might be an early prototype, but the mocked up box is just too much to swallow.

Finally Fallout 3 DLC for the PS3. The only reason I didn't buy it. I'll wait for the GOTY edition

http://kotaku.com/5260907/fallout-3-dlc-an...new-dlc-for-all

The wait is finally over for Playstation 3 owners, this morning Bethesda announced that downloadable content will be coming to the PS3 version of Fallout 3. They also revealed two new DLC packs for all.

Operation: Anchorage will hit the PS3 in late June, followed by the release of The Pitt and Broken Steel four to six weeks apart. In addition, a new patch will be released for the PS3 that will let gamers download and play the new DLC.

As rumored, there are also two new DLCs planned for the PC, PS3 and Xbox 360:

Point Lookout – Explore a massive new swampland area filled with new quests and content. Point Lookout will be available in late June for Xbox 360 and PC. Cost will be 800 points or $9.99. It will be available through Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live and through token cards available at retail. Point Lookout will be available on PS3 after the first three DLCs have been released.

Mothership Zeta – The aliens have returned, and they're pissed. Experience an alien abduction first hand and find out if you're tough enough to survive. Mothership Zeta is scheduled for release in late July for Xbox 360 and PC. Cost will be 800 points or $9.99. It will be available through Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live and through token cards available at retail. Mothership Zeta will be available on PS3 after Point Lookout.

Finally, Bethesda plans to release some of the DLC on disc this summer and a Game of the Year edition this October.

Fallout 3 Game Add-on Pack #1 includes The Pitt and Operation: Anchorage on a disc and will be available for Xbox 360 and PC on May 26. The Fallout 3 Game Add-on Pack #2 includes Broken Steel and Point Lookout on a disc and will be available for Xbox 360 and PC in August.

Retail versions of the game add-on packs for PS3 are not possible and the DLC will only be available for download online via PlayStation Network.

A Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition will be available in October. It will include the original game plus all five add-ons for $59.99 for Xbox 360 and PS3, and $49.99 for PC.

Stay tuned for our impressions of Point Lookout, which will be playable at E3 this year.

The makers of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus "announces" new project.

It was a closed door announcement from Last year's E3.

I'm going to love this. So. Much.

ME TOO! And man does that baby gryphon look cute. You killed giants in the last game, now you get to ride on one. ^_^

And i just played about 30 mins of inFamous. Not sure what to make of it yet....but i got motion sickness that's why i stopped. Will try more tomorrow.

Anyone planning to get inFamous? The game looks awesome and got a 9.2 rating from IGN.

This one, too. B))

So I've been playing with my PS3 for the past couple days. I have to say, despite being a Xbox fan through and through, I really enjoy the PS3. The interface is nicer (especially compared to the Xbox NGE Wii-clone), Home is a nice touch (being an old school fan of 3D chat/explore programs), and I like that the shop uses real money rather than confusing "points".

So far so good!

Also, my PSN is Vostok7. Anyone can feel free to add me.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

I've tried, but am having problems sifting through 20 pages of thread, and the search function finds too many false hits...

Q: Anyone have any ideas on why my PS3's fan is ramping up now after 2 minutes of play? DVDs, BDs, PS2 games, PS3 games, it doesn't take long until my fan is whirring away at high speed.

This is a recent change, starting about a month ago. I don't recall it happening along with a firmware update, either. The unit stands vertically on wire shelving with no other heat source around and has plenty of breathing room. It has been vacuumed per Sony's recommendations to no effect.

???

:(

The one-year warranty is up in a couple of weeks, so I don't know if I should bug Sony about this or not.

Does anyone have any problem with Life with Playstation running? Like PS3 recognizes Six Axis but the controls don't respond while the Life with Playstation is running? Home button is the only button working for some odd reason...

Q: Anyone have any ideas on why my PS3's fan is ramping up now after 2 minutes of play? DVDs, BDs, PS2 games, PS3 games, it doesn't take long until my fan is whirring away at high speed.

This is a recent change, starting about a month ago. I don't recall it happening along with a firmware update, either. The unit stands vertically on wire shelving with no other heat source around and has plenty of breathing room. It has been vacuumed per Sony's recommendations to no effect.

???

:(

The one-year warranty is up in a couple of weeks, so I don't know if I should bug Sony about this or not.

Honestly, I still say it could be dust. The PS3 is an unbelievable dust magnet. Do you have pets by any chance?

Edited by shiroikaze

Honestly, I still say it could be dust. The PS3 is an unbelievable dust magnet. Do you have pets by any chance?

Nope, unless you count my wife... HAR HAR, um... har.

Seriously, no. But we're in a very pollen-ridden area. It gets everywhere, even indoors.

Maybe I'll give it a twice-over, but the vents themselves seem clean. There could be dust deep down, though.