Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

Half the reason I'm getting Tekken 6 is that it seems to have the elaborate create-a-fighter that SC 4 lacked. (SC 3 had bettter options IMHO).

A good create-a-fighter is nice, but Namco's last couple of fighters haven't really given us much to do with our created fighters, nor much to do at all except pick a character, run through a couple of fights, and watch a weak ending movie. It's like they figure that we should be happy shell out $60 for the most basic of modes, just because we have the ability to play online now... except that like I already said, I don't want to play online because I don't have the time to invest in mastering fighting games anymore. Is it too much to ask that the games be either cheaper, or have a more compelling single-player component? I mean, what ever happened to Weapon Master Mode? That's what kept me playing Soul Calibur II longer than any other fighter (save maybe DoA2 Hardcore, but I'm a sucker for unlockables).

To re-frame my rant another way, as a fan of past Tekkens, I probably will get Tekken 6 at some point. Just not the $60 point.

Tekken 6 is something of an enigma. I am a huge Tekken fan and have been for years and have been religiously playing since Tekken 3, and now we have 6. The story alone of why Jin is running the world was more than enough for me to pick up the game. Well I have it, and myself and other long time players are having trouble. They have changed a lot of the game. It is all subtle tweeks but to those of us who have played every game we notice the difference. They have changed many characters move list and changed tons of moves. It is almost like playing the first time and trying to learn how characters work again.

One a good note, tons of character 40 in all, cool and interesting new characters, and most if not all the fighters seem to be a lot more realistic in their movements than ever before. So there is a learning curve to it but i feel this is one of the best fighting games ever. Now to learn Bob and Lars.

I think most people stick with Asuka because they are used to her, I have only practiced with Lars but his move list is awesome, he even does a Naturo Style Chidori attack, and his alternate costume is designed by the naruto manga artist. Once more people use him and learn him we should see more of him online, I know he is a current favorite, as well as Bob as far as new characters go.

I find Asuka(and Hwoarang) annoyingly cheap. Asuka's just a Jun replacement, and I liked Jun much better----she was the only member of the whole Mishima/Kazama group I ever used. I may try Lars now. Jun was my all-time best character for getting 10-hit combos, I knew almost all of them. I still miss that.

Originally I was a Law/Jack player, but now more Law/Anna. Definitely going to learn Alisa--she's like KOS-MOS' little sister.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got Batman Arkham Asylum, Dragon Age Origins, and The Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition. For some reason I cannot stop myself from (double dipping) playing a game I beat the hell out of already just because you get to kill stuff with lightsabers. So Batman and Dragon Age continue to sit unplayed on my shelf...

So, I got Batman Arkham Asylum, Dragon Age Origins, and The Force Unleashed Ultimate Sith Edition. For some reason I cannot stop myself from (double dipping) playing a game I beat the hell out of already just because you get to kill stuff with lightsabers. So Batman and Dragon Age continue to sit unplayed on my shelf...

Hurry up and re-beat it then! Arkham and Dragon Age are both great games. So much so that I was thinking Arkham was the best game of the year... right up until I started playing Dragon Age.

On an extremely rare note for me, I bought a game for my PS3 B)) I got Demon's Souls, despite the employee warning me that it's a tough game. The game is merciless in regards to mistakes, and new players better get used to dying oftenly. Really liking the weapon animations, even the variety of wielding a weapon with 1 or 2 hands, with or without shield, etc. The funny thing is that the game has a western style of artwork / theme, but it's made by a japanese development team.

I really wish they would just go ahead and do a PS3 1080p port of MUF, if not a native PS3 game. Hell, I'd be happy with a basic SDF:M era game like the one Max beat Milia at. :D

Hell, I'd be happy with a basic SDF:M era game like the one Max beat Milia at. :D

There's always the NES game.

And Keith, although we won't be able to use the US version of AdHoc Party, if we could get someone to find out how to play MUF on the Japanese version, it'd be possible. All you need to do is get a Japanese PSN account and then download AdHoc Party, and there's instructions online on how to do that.

And Keith, although we won't be able to use the US version of AdHoc Party, if we could get someone to find out how to play MUF on the Japanese version, it'd be possible. All you need to do is get a Japanese PSN account and then download AdHoc Party, and there's instructions online on how to do that.

I already have the Japanese adhoc party, last time I tried to host a game, I got some kind of error, and it kicked the whole room out.

I could actually envision something like Max/Milia (or even the NES version) as something playable inside a Macross space in Playstation Home. Hopefully Bandai will do it! I have a JPN account.

• 3 weeks later...
Anybody know if there's a patch on the way that will make PS2 games playable on the PS3 Slim?

Oh wow I didn't know this was an issue. Looks like I'm sticking with my chunky monkey system...

Definitely stick with the a console that's backwards compatible if that's important to ya. Sony has been on and off about that patch. Originally they were gonna do it, then they said no dice, now it's up in the air.

IMO it was lame to remove the feature, especially if it can be PATCHED back in and has nothing to do with hardware.

Yeah, especially since my PS2 kicked the bucket. I can't afford to lose backwards compatability, so I'll stick with my 'emo-equipped 60G unit from way back when...

I don't think we'll see backwards compatibility again until the PS2 line dies once and for all.

I don't think we'll see backwards compatibility from Sony again until the first batch of PS4 consoles play PS3 games. Best bet is to look for an older 60GB PS3 with an Emotion Engine, or to hang on to your PS2.