Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

it's a really short game if you don't stop to look for all the treasure items, shouldn't take long for an experienced gamer to run through.

Been playing the multiplayer... it really makes me appreciate Live and how much control you have over who you play with and who you don't... Multiplayer plays a lot like metal gear solid online but with a more robust cover/climbing mechanic.

In a recent interview, Hideo Kojima states that ZOE3 is on the top of the list of games he is looking to develop.

It better be longer than the last one! When people were saying that ZOE 2 would be twice as long as the original, I was expecting 6-8 hours since the first one took me just under 4 hours. I was pretty pissed when I finished ZOE 2 in about 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Have still playing NBA2k10 but will move on to Uncharted 2 sooner rather than later. Was wanting to finish Platinum on Uncharted 1 first. Guess I'd have to finally get around to starting it on crushing first, though huh? :o

I was pretty pissed when I finished ZOE 2 in about 2 hours and 45 minutes.

I remember the old days if u complete Resident Evil 1,2,3(nt sure abt 3) under 2h30min u will get some sort of bonus, and no one was complaining about the length of the gameplay. I don't know, I remember playing ZOE2 for many hours before completing it for the first time.

I remember the old days if u complete Resident Evil 1,2,3(nt sure abt 3) under 2h30min u will get some sort of bonus, and no one was complaining about the length of the gameplay. I don't know, I remember playing ZOE2 for many hours before completing it for the first time.

I think in RE1 it was finish under 3 hours and get infinite rocket launcher. i think my best time without rocket launcher was just under 1:15. it was so sad that i could be at work and people would call me and say, I'm in the red hallway, I just killed the dogs that jumped through the window, what do I do next, and I could answer. Same with Tomb Raider 1.

oh to be young again...

Back then nobody was paying $60 for a game... ^_^

btw, awesome avatar.

Edited by shiroikaze

Yeah, they did do that. And I don't have a problem with a game rewarding you for completing it in a certain short period of time, because that's incentive to replay it. You have to play a game several times before you'd be good enough to do it in the time limit (normally). I know it took me a lot longer than that to finish RE2 (closer to 8 hours). Likewise, I can finish Megaman 2 from start to finish in about a half hour, but I can promise you that it took me longer than that to finish one level my first time playing it.

But when you open a brand new $50 game and finish it in under three hours on your first try (I replayed it without saving in about an hour and a half later, for the record), I'm sorry, you're just not getting your money's worth.

Back then nobody was paying $60 for a game... ^_^

btw, awesome avatar.

Games were always 50-60 bucks, even around NES times. Why do you think the RAGGGGGEEEEE over ATARI's ET game is known to this day? Plus nobody finished a Resident Evil first-time in 3 hours, more like 8 if they actually finished. I got pissed off at so many of my friends wanting me to beat it for them but being too cheap to get a memory card. But they did have some replay value, if you got to be so good at it.

Games were always 50-60 bucks, even around NES times. Why do you think the RAGGGGGEEEEE over ATARI's ET game is known to this day? Plus nobody finished a Resident Evil first-time in 3 hours, more like 8 if they actually finished. I got pissed off at so many of my friends wanting me to beat it for them but being too cheap to get a memory card. But they did have some replay value, if you got to be so good at it.

But aren't those just special incidents where you have some sort of uber-limited-edition game in a muddy gold cartridge and whatnot (or some company up its own ass)?

I mean, normally they aren't consistently $60. I may not remember the Atari's and NES generation's pricing but I do remember the generations afterwards.

Edited by shiroikaze

Games were always 50-60 bucks, even around NES times.

You just remind me of Super Street Fighter II: The New Challangers on Sega 16-bit. I remember clearly the cartridge was US$85, and because it was an import game or due to whatever reason we need to get a "Regional"(don't know the term for it) cartridge for US$25 to play the game. I think someone mentioned this awhile ago in this thread too. What piss me off was, after I bought it for like a week or so, Super Street Figher II: The Great Grand Master(Akuma/Gouki was added into the game for the very first time) was released... :huh:

Missed the old days.

"High-end" SNES games cost more. You could tell by weight. More weight=more chips=more RAM. (Nintendo controlled/produced every part, so there were never any "refinements"). Chrono Trigger was possibly the most expensive of that category, $80 IIRC. Megaman X2 and X3 might have cost more than standard as well, due to being among the few with their chip/feature (can't remember the name, but they are among the few that use the 2 small slots aside the main slot---go look at the cartridge, they're pretty unique among SNES games).

"High-end" SNES games cost more. You could tell by weight. More weight=more chips=more RAM. (Nintendo controlled/produced every part, so there were never any "refinements"). Chrono Trigger was possibly the most expensive of that category, $80 IIRC. Megaman X2 and X3 might have cost more than standard as well, due to being among the few with their chip/feature (can't remember the name, but they are among the few that use the 2 small slots aside the main slot---go look at the cartridge, they're pretty unique among SNES games).

Nope, I think Phantasy Star IV was actually the msot expensive cart, didn't it retail 99.99?

Games were always 50-60 bucks...

I remember clearly the cartridge was US$85...

Chrono Trigger was possibly the most expensive of that category, $80 IIRC. Megaman X2 and X3 might have cost more than standard as well...

Nope, I think Phantasy Star IV was actually the msot expensive cart, didn't it retail 99.99?

*grumble...* :(

Okay, cartridges could get mighty expensive. Nintendo's use of cartridges on the N64 is one of the things that hurt them back in the late 90's.

But this debate got started because I complained that ZOE2, fun while it lasted, was too short to justify the price tag. Which was $50.

Issues of the costs of other games are largely irrelevant, although the majority of disc-based games since the debut of the original PlayStation have been $50, with $60 games popping up on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

The other issue that was brought up was rewards for speed runs through games. My counterpoint is that being encourage to run through a game as fast as you can is an incentive to replay a game that probably took you a lot longer than that to play through the first time. It's not really the same thing as taking your time and enjoying a game, only for it to be over in under 3 hours. You can justify that kind of crap in a $15 Xbox Live Arcade/PlayStation Network game, but I think when you do that in a $50 retail game, especially after claiming that it's twice as long as the previous one, I think Konami owes me $25.

I love Phantasy Star series, played 2 and 4 on Sega, just too bad that Phantasy Star Universe/Online weren't as good as I expected on PS2. Hope they will make new one on PS3, in the old and classic RPG style.

"Dodongo dislikes smoke."

:lol:

In other news, I went to CD Warehouse today. I'm not sure how many areas they're in, so for those of you that don't know they started as a place to buy and sell used CDs, but they've branched into games and DVDs too. I managed to find Uncharted 2 for $39.99 there, plus I had a $10 off coupon. Score!

I have to say, uncharted 2's multiplayer is a lot of fun. being able to scale walls, roofs... anything with a ledge adds a level of strategy and tactics just not found in other shooter type games.

Mind you, I'm usually in the middle of the pack but just last night I climbed the back side of a tower to snipe a sniper on a nearby roof, ran along another roof, grabbing a sniper rifle and taking out another 2 guys, jumped to yet another roof when I noticed someone following me, doubled back and jumped down behind him and took him out with a melee attack, sniped another guy, ran out of bullets so grabbed a shotgun and shot a guy in the face before being sniped myself.

I have to say, uncharted 2's multiplayer is a lot of fun. being able to scale walls, roofs... anything with a ledge adds a level of strategy and tactics just not found in other shooter type games.

Mind you, I'm usually in the middle of the pack but just last night I climbed the back side of a tower to snipe a sniper on a nearby roof, ran along another roof, grabbing a sniper rifle and taking out another 2 guys, jumped to yet another roof when I noticed someone following me, doubled back and jumped down behind him and took him out with a melee attack, sniped another guy, ran out of bullets so grabbed a shotgun and shot a guy in the face before being sniped myself.

Hmm, MGO has been full of infinate laggers & glitchers later. Maybe I'll check out Uncharted online..

Bought Beatles Rock Band & the Rickenbacker 325 controller this week. If you're a fan of music by The Beatles, this is a worthwile addition. Nice selection of songs (with more to come, soon hopefully) and the 'dreamscape' song visuals are fantastic B))

I played Beatles Rock Band at a buddy's house the other night. I suspect there was either something wrong with my buddy's mic or that there's something wrong with what notes that game thinks Paul was hitting. We had to have people scream out in the shrillest tones ever to get the game to think we were singing properly. It was the most hilarious night of playing video games I think I have ever experienced. Otherwise, I prefer Rock Band 2.

If you're a fan of music by The Beatles

Although I seem to be a minority, I'm not.

I prefer Rock Band 2.

Yep. I'm going to pick up the Lego Rock Band, too. At least when I get tired of it I can import the songs into Rock Band 2.

Sounds like a mic problem Jenius, I've done vocals without having to sing stupidly high. I didn't own any of the Rock Band title so for me it was a good place to start and I'll pick up RB 2 sometime in the future. On the subject of music games, what do you think DJ Hero is going to be like?

On the subject of music games, what do you think DJ Hero is going to be like?

Not so good. Activision has the money to throw around and get the big names, but they can't seem to get a crew on a music game that's as good as Harmonix. And I'm not sure how much fun the controller will be. It doesn't look fun. I'm not sure how closely it mimics real DJ-ing, but I suppose that there was a reason why I'd always dreamed of being a rock star and not a DJ.

Not so good. Activision has the money to throw around and get the big names, but they can't seem to get a crew on a music game that's as good as Harmonix. And I'm not sure how much fun the controller will be. It doesn't look fun. I'm not sure how closely it mimics real DJ-ing, but I suppose that there was a reason why I'd always dreamed of being a rock star and not a DJ.

Well I do a little bit of DJ-ing and the controller looks like it may mimic the real thing reasonably well but it's hard to judge by just looking at a picture. The buttons on the turntable look a bit funny as well, I'll definately have to try it first before I even consider buying the game.

haven't had a chance to check out batman yet, is it as good as they say?

It actually is. I'd go so far as to suggest that it might be the game of the year, although that might have as much to do with the number of triple-A titles delayed until 2010 as with the quality of the game itself. Long story short, though, it's a great game.

Anyone picking up Tekken 6?

Probably not. As much as I played the crap out of Tekken 2, 3, and Tekken Tag, I barely touched Tekken 4 or 5. Likewise, I played the crap out of Soul Calibur 2, but I didn't care much for 3 or 4. I'm just not into fighting games as much as I used to be. Probably because I don't have friends coming over to play them like before, and I don't have the time to invest in them to make playing online any fun (I still have a perfect record in Street Fighter IV... which is to say, I've never won a match online).