Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

I'm thinking of trying out a FPS for the PS3, narrowed it down to two actually: Resistance2 and Killzone2... any comments which is better?

Don't have R2. Played R. Have KZ2. Haven't played it yet.

CoD4. NAZI ZOMBIES!

Don't have R2. Played R. Have KZ2. Haven't played it yet.

CoD4. NAZI ZOMBIES!

You mean CoD4.5 World at War. :p

I like Resistance. Even though the characters and gameplay feel like cookie-cutters, I had a blast with the game playing co-op with my brother. Killzone 2 is pure eyecandy with some substance.

Resistance 2 has 8 or 16 co-op (forgot which), and 60-man online multiplayer. Killzone does not have co-op, its online play is standard stuff; however is reminscent of Team Fortress 2.

Both games (and TF2) are decent purchases. :p

Although there is no demo for Resistance 2, try the Killzone 2 demo, see if it justify your purchase.

Get it for Valkyria Chronicles, trust me you won't be disappointed!

game spoilers follow:

Isara's death took me completely by surprise. Haven't felt that way for any video game character since Aeris... :cry:

Well! First time I ever regret looking at a spoiler...

Edited by shiroikaze

Don't know about KZ2. Felt too generic FPS to me and the AI felt really clunky and unrefined. I couldn't finish the 1st one and the same with the 2nd. You don't get the same "Oooooh aaaah" like you did with Halo.

Don't know about KZ2. Felt too generic FPS to me and the AI felt really clunky and unrefined. I couldn't finish the 1st one and the same with the 2nd. You don't get the same "Oooooh aaaah" like you did with Halo.

I wish I could say the same for Halo 3... I get only kicks from the multiplayer aspect...

I never really liked FPS games on a console... though there are some exceptions, Bioshock being one of them...

Edited by shiroikaze

COD5 was boring as all hell on PC. COD4 was better, but also got a little stale. I dont know why people would like it on a console.

Because we totally disagree with you? I played CoD4 on both the 360 and the PC, and I think it's still probably one of the better split-screen multiplayer games on the console. As for CoD5, which I only played on PC, I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed it, even if it was Treyarch and not Infinity Ward.

COD5 was boring as all hell on PC. COD4 was better, but also got a little stale. I dont know why people would like it on a console.

Because it's fun sitting side by side with a friend blowing crap up(NAZI ZOMBIES!!) on a nice soft comfy couch on the big screen tv? I'd rather just yell at a friend in the same room instead of yelling at him/her through a mic.

I'm not saying that consoles games are worse than their PC iterations, but rather I'm saying: taking a bad pc game and playing it on a console does not make it fun.

COD5 Zombie gives you the same zombies in a repetitive wave after wave system. Very limited map movement (and even fewer maps to choose from. Originally it was just 1... Now its.. 2 with the paid expansion pack?) COD5 zombie mode was an afterthought, yet still shamefully the best part of the game. COD4 is still lightyears more fun than COD5's normal modes as well.

I guess if you like forking over money for such limited gameplay depth and content, you can place your preorders on L4D2 already. >_> What happened to value?

I'm not saying that consoles games are worse than their PC iterations, but rather I'm saying: taking a bad pc game and playing it on a console does not make it fun.

COD5 Zombie gives you the same zombies in a repetitive wave after wave system. Very limited map movement (and even fewer maps to choose from. Originally it was just 1... Now its.. 2 with the paid expansion pack?) COD5 zombie mode was an afterthought, yet still shamefully the best part of the game. COD4 is still lightyears more fun than COD5's normal modes as well.

I guess if you like forking over money for such limited gameplay depth and content, you can place your preorders on L4D2 already. >_> What happened to value?

Maybe Call of Duty just isn't your thing? I know I haven't really liked a Zelda game since A Link to the Past. But I know I'm in the minority, and if someone was asking about good games for the Wii, I'd probably recommend Twilight Princess anyway, since most people seem to like it. I certainly couldn't say that it's a bad game.

And most people do like Call of Duty, both Modern Warfare and World at War. I'm sorry that they don't live up to your standards of perfection, but I don't think it's really fair to call them bad games. If the person they're being recommended to hasn't played them yet, odds are better that he'll like them than he won't.

COD4 is fine. I used to play it a lot, and was very good at it. In fact, I got banned from a lot of servers in it. >_> <_<. I got bored of it after a while, but it was played very thoroughly. COD5 (normal) is nearly identical, but feels inferior on most aspects, especially the weapons handling. Long time FPS players will understand that weapons have a very specific 'good feeling' to them when they are made and designed properly in FPS games. COD4's weapons felt great, whereas COD5s were mostly crap. I only remember a few exceptions.

On the same note COD2 was great.... So no, I have nothing against Call of Duty, its a good series.

Edited by Cent

Ah I figured out what you are. A die hard fps pc player. You probably spent hundreds of hours learning the maps, memorizing the weapons layout, specing out systems, gaming rig etc etc etc. I did that back when I had time in school. I played Wolfenstein3D back when it was originally released on a demo FLOPPY disk so I think I qualify as a long time fps gamer. Now I'm more then happy to console play for less "value" because I don't play each game to death. Single player mode, couple hours online, coop is all I need. I could care less about Internet ranking or whatnot. The game they put out fits exactly what I need so has the perfect "value" for me and my friends. So I'm more then happy to buy them and recommend them and to those I have agreed they're fun great games.

Nazi zombies: the whole premise is that you're stuck in a building defending against hordes of zombies. What the heck kind of AI do you want for zombies? These aren't your new fangled running zombies. It's almost a perfect remake of the original Night of Living Dead except you're killing Nazi zombies.

L4D2: I'll wait for the special sale deals. I'm having too much fun with the original.

A die hard FPS PC player will play nothing but FPSes on the PC. I don't do that - I'm originally a RTS PC player. But I do do everything else you listed, so count me guilty. If you spend only 5 hours tops a week gaming, then sure, these games won't get stale quite so fast. But then I wouldn't be expecting to pay $50 (or $70 for console games here) for them. I haven't had as much time as when I was in highschool (recently out of uni and now starting a career) but I still seek good dollar-to-hours-of-gameplay-depth ratios from my purchases. I've played plenty of survival-only (hold out for waves until you finally die) zombie games where the zombie AI ranged from straightforward to human controlled... but guess what, they were all free. Brain-dead survival-only not something worth paying for, even now that I don't play games that often.

On a side note, I'm not buying L4D2 until it drops below 50% original price. The value isn't there either.

Edited by Cent

A die hard FPS PC player will play nothing but FPSes on the PC. I don't do that - I'm originally a RTS PC player. But I do do everything else you listed, so count me guilty. If you spend only 5 hours tops a week gaming, then sure, these games won't get stale quite so fast. But then I wouldn't be expecting to pay $50 (or $70 for console games here) for them. I haven't had as much time as when I was in highschool (recently out of uni and now starting a career) but I still seek good dollar-to-hours-of-gameplay-depth ratios from my purchases. I've played plenty of survival-only (hold out for waves until you finally die) zombie games where the zombie AI ranged from straightforward to human controlled... but guess what, they were all free. Brain-dead survival-only not something worth paying for, even now that I don't play games that often.

On a side note, I'm not buying L4D2 until it drops below 50% original price. The value isn't there either.

there's always the used game market. i finally bought all of the ps2 games that i couldn't afford while in college for about $5-$15 (i did get a couple of them new from amazon and gamestop tho'). now, if only i had the money for a ps3. the only games i want to so far is gt5 and ffviii (and maybe tomb raider and gta4). those are long games to start off with so i don't mind buying them new.

i got cod4 & company of heroes free with my xfx 8800gts g92 video card and farcry 2 free with my intel q9550 processor but i haven't even installed them yet. i prefer the ps2/ps3 controller over the mouse and keyboard (and i paid for cs 1.6, cs zero and cs source from steam but i also haven't installed them yet too).

i hear that gt5 will be out by october. but i will be in korea by then. does anybody know if i could buy a ps3 there, bring it home after my contract is over and buy/play u.s. ps3 games or is it region-locked?

About L4D2,

Valve responds to L4D2 boycott, vows support for original

keyword is "interoperability", so L4D1 players can play with L4D2 players?

Also, FFXIV art YUM!

there's always the used game market.

Not viable for PC games really. :(

ffxiii

Just fixing typos. :p

i hear that gt5 will be out by october. but i will be in korea by then. does anybody know if i could buy a ps3 there, bring it home after my contract is over and buy/play u.s. ps3 games or is it region-locked?

All PS3s should be region-free for PS3 games.

Edited by shiroikaze

About L4D2,

Valve responds to L4D2 boycott, vows support for original

keyword is "interoperability", so L4D1 players can play with L4D2 players?

Also, FFXIV art YUM!

Not viable for PC games really. :(

Just fixing typos. :p

i don't know if this was a "legal" sale but i bought heavy gear II used from a used pc games retail store. luckily, the game isn't tied to one pc and i've been able to install it on my various pc builds. but i did lose my original content from one of my pc crashes (i was stuck on one certain level so i'm sure that i can make it back there).

anyways. i too don't buy used software anymore. i'm sure that the pc software companies now have ways to prevent this (and the reason why i never registered the sims or the sims hot date expansion pack (but i saved my game data this time around).

are dvd's and blu-ray's region-locked or will i have to add a region-free blu-ray player to my collection (i already have a region free dvd player).

are dvd's and blu-ray's region-locked or will i have to add a region-free blu-ray player to my collection (i already have a region free dvd player).

Unfortunately yes, they are locked. I do not know why they still do it...

However there are lists of Blu-Rays known to be region-free:

http://bluray.liesinc.net/

http://regionfreemovies.com/

Edited by shiroikaze

thanks. japan, korea, taiwan and most of s.e. asia is in the same region as the u.s. i just have to worry about chinese and european blu-rays

bluray_map.gif

snip..... I haven't had as much time as when I was in highschool (recently out of uni and now starting a career) snip

Just out of Uni.....god that was a long time ago.....

That's "suggested" region lock because IIRC Fox wanted it. Basically almost all Bluray movies you buy will not be region locked except I believe for the new releases by Warner and Fox, which will eventually be released without region coding when they're no longer "new" releases.

DVD's remain region locked because well it's old tech and there's no point in trying to undo tech habits.

• 3 weeks later...
There's an expansion pack for WipEout HD coming out soon called Fury, trailer is up on the PSN store

Can I get a "It's about damn time!"?

Seriously, I was hoping that they'd be shoveling out tons of DLC like they did for Pulse.

Edited by mikeszekely

I have an extra new copy of BlazBlue Limited Edtion up for auction

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320394810093

Awesome 2D fighter. If you like Guilty Gear you'll like this. Ya the game is every anime cliche in the book but its still fun.

Sure, I'll go for it!

[edit; 2 days later] Nevermind!

Edited by shiroikaze

• 2 weeks later...

OK, seriously... I've read a bunch of posts about this online, but I trust my MWers more than anyone else, so...

... does the 80gb US PS3 have a universal power supply?

A lot of people are saying that the specs on the bottom (110v/60Hz) are BS, and that Sony just did that to make moolah, but that inside there is a true universal power supply.

Any info? I'm moving to France in less than a month, but only have two weeks to put together a converter/regulator system if this is not the case.

Thanks in advance, guys!

OK, seriously... I've read a bunch of posts about this online, but I trust my MWers more than anyone else, so...

... does the 80gb US PS3 have a universal power supply?

A lot of people are saying that the specs on the bottom (110v/60Hz) are BS, and that Sony just did that to make moolah, but that inside there is a true universal power supply.

Any info? I'm moving to France in less than a month, but only have two weeks to put together a converter/regulator system if this is not the case.

Thanks in advance, guys!

BTW- I know we discussed this a few months back, but I want to be entirely sure. I also looked into voltage converters (w/ enough wattage to cover the PS3), but have heard some bad things about the less expensive ones.

Found this from a PS3 power supply thread:

"Hi

I am an Amercian living in the UK.

I have a PS3 though I have it plugged straight into the UK mains, which is 240v. Even though both the Japanese and US PS3 have 100v on the sticker on the bottom the Power supply inside is universal inside.

I have buddies who running both Japanese and US PS3's here in the UK. One of my buddies was brave enough to remove the case on his US PS3 and look at the power supply which clearly had 1 100v-240v. In the same way as the PSP charger is universal."