Playstation 3 Thread Round 3

Gaijin

Well had a call with Sony, went on hold, had to point things out to them, went on hold again and finally got some where. A request is being sent to the proper department. I guess they can fix it all from remote. Problem is they do that even look at those type of requests till Friday. Early next week we'll know.

Well had a call with Sony, went on hold, had to point things out to them, went on hold again and finally got some where. A request is being sent to the proper department. I guess they can fix it all from remote. Problem is they do that even look at those type of requests till Friday. Early next week we'll know.

Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, was removing the hard drive before sending the system in an option? While that may not have helped in this situation, with the whole music rights thing, it at least would have left you not having to redownload everything.

Ive seen the uncharted 2 teaser, pretty cool! I'm pretty anxious to see how Killzone 2 does, the way that it's being hyped up it'll either go down as the best game ever or the biggest flop in history. As for the RE5, I preordered the limited edition set because im a RE whore.

Edited by dizman

You guys seen the teasers for Uncharted 2 & God Of War 3? They look like they're gonna be awesome games! :o

Uncharted 2 definately, never played GOW, so I'll have to think about that one.

Uncharted 2 definately, never played GOW, so I'll have to think about that one.

Pick up and play the original God of War, and then it's sequel..(both are completely worth iit) and try to imagine that on a PS3. Hell, play Heavenly Sword, and imagine it less fussy and more brutal, gory, polished, and spectacular. :lol:

Just out of curiosity, was removing the hard drive before sending the system in an option? While that may not have helped in this situation, with the whole music rights thing, it at least would have left you not having to redownload everything.

I only have the one PS3, but what happens if I take my 320GB out of my current PS3 and just put it in another one? Would it just run or would that PS3 have to format it and then I'd have to do a restore? I am planning on a second PS3 anyway for the bedroom (if they ever come out with a silver one in North America, before I have to go and import an HK or JP satin silver!) anyways, so might find out about this myself one of these days anyway.

Edited by Uxi

Well I thought the rumors of PS3s getting the YLOD(or 3 red blinking in my case) were untrue, but last night while playing Valkyria Chronicles my PS3 shut down during a cut scene. Damn She was a 60GB upgraded to 320GB, with all the card slots, ps2 BC, and 4 USB ports she was a real beauty, barely a year and a half old, im gonna miss her. :( does anyone have any suggestions what i should do?

edit: Roy: u sent your ps3 in for repairs? did u have a 60 gig? did you get a 60gig back? hows it working so far any problems? how was the condition of the refurbished ps3? how fast was the repair time from when u sent it and got it back?

Edited by Murphy

Natural first question, what kind of ventilation did you give it?

Also out of curiosity, was it a launch 60 gig, or a tail end 60 gig? I picked up mine right when they went oop, and the price dropped. So far, haven't had any problems whatsoever (aside from the web browser occasionally crashing with high content, but that's to be expected). Of course I haven't put a ton of mileage on it either, but I play a fair share of MGO with it.

Edited by Keith

pretty well ventilated on all 5 sides (front, back, both sides and top) i have it on a tv stand that is not enclosed and air can flow on all 4 sides, and the back is about a foot away from the wall. I also keep it petty cold in my apartment due to living in SF. I got my ps3 in aug of 07, during the first price drop so i dont know if it was a launch or a later made ps3.

post-623-1232934612_thumb.jpg

Edited by Murphy

I got my PS3 I think in the same month & same year.

To answer your question I sent in my 60 gig and got a refurbished 60 gig. It looked like it was in new condition. Time frame works like this 3 days for them to mail you the coffin. 1 day for you to mail it back and another 3 days for it to get mail back to you. It may take longer as they & ups don't work weekends. I think they sent me a new system without checking it. As they sent the replacement out the same day. Only issue I had since was redownloading paid connect that's been fixed.

There is a different issue. Which I may have had before. Signing on the PSN. When I turn on the PS3 it automatically connects. As soon as pop in a game that you play online like MGS 4. I get this DNS 80710102 error. I googled it and found a variety of causes & solutions. One cause I read had to do with the PS3 and your computer fighting over the same connection or something of that nature. Could be possible as I tend to lose my computer's connection when the PS3 is used a the same time. As I said I think there was already some connection problems before this. I am in a trial and error phase now.

thanks 4 the reply, i got another question, did you erase your harddrive b4 sending it in? because i have a crap load of pictures on my 60 gb HD, because since i cant turn on my ps3 i cant erase the hard drive, i dont own a laptop so i cant erase it that way.

thanks 4 the reply, i got another question, did you erase your harddrive b4 sending it in? because i have a crap load of pictures on my 60 gb HD, because since i cant turn on my ps3 i cant erase the hard drive, i dont own a laptop so i cant erase it that way.

Just erase the pics through the PS3's menu in the photos tab.

Just erase the pics through the PS3's menu in the photos tab.

Might be difficult for him.

because since i cant turn on my ps3 i cant erase the hard drive

Do you have a desktop computer? You can try buying a 2.5" SATA hard drive enclosure (for turning internal SATA notebook hard drives into portable external hard drives), and erase it that way. As an added plus, if you buy a bigger hard drive for your replacement PS3 down the line, you'll still have the enclosure to use with the old hard drive. The only other option is, if the photos aren't too embarrassing or compromising, just send it it. If they repair and refurbish the unit, they'll certainly reformat the hard drive.

Damn you guys for buying at the same time as me!

Cheer up, Keith. I got my PS3 when you did, during the summer when the 60GBers dropped. Mine has had zero issues. In fact, it seemed to me that there might have been a spike in the number of people having (or at least complaining of) issues, so I unhooked my PS3, thinking to check the vents for dust, and was pleasantly surprised to find that while there was a thin layer of dust on top of the unit, the vents were remarkably clean.

I had to send my launch-60GB PS3 in because the Blu-Ray laser stopped working, and I should be getting in back within a week.

For the record, I think Mercenaries 2 was what killed it. I mean, the first Mercenaries caused the laser on my PS2 to unalign, and I had to fix it. Now, after spending some time on WiF, my PS3 stops reading discs.

I think it is my router.

I have a router & modem. If I have PC on & turn on the PS3. I get a DNS error or loose connection on both. Turning on just the PS3 got an error too. Today I discounted the router & connect the PS3 directly to the Modem. Finally can use the PSN and play online. When I go to use the computer it takes some time restarting things up again. I really enjoyed being able to use both my PC & PS3 at the same time.

I think it is my router.

I have a router & modem. If I have PC on & turn on the PS3. I get a DNS error or loose connection on both. Turning on just the PS3 got an error too. Today I discounted the router & connect the PS3 directly to the Modem. Finally can use the PSN and play online. When I go to use the computer it takes some time restarting things up again. I really enjoyed being able to use both my PC & PS3 at the same time.

Check your router's settings, sometime's changing the broadcast channel on it (goes from 1 to 11 I think) can fix interference problems. I had a similar problem when first using my blutooth headset, it'd knock out my router's connection.

You know what sucks about that? I think I lost all my password to access my router. In any case. I think switching the cables & turning things off worked. Everything plugged back in the right way and had both the PC & PS3 on at the same time. I'll have to use them both a few more times to make it is it not a fluke. Next issue trying to figure out how to host a game.

Finally made 4th Level on MGO. Great session. I actually saw getting rewards. Capture the base with pistols only. Encountered one jerk 12th level who cuss people out for "stealing his kills."

I love those guys. Same answer as always, if it was your kill, you would have made it already. I'm teetering between 10-11 right now, and keeping a sharp eye out for dizman's croc cap!

As for your router, check the manufacturer page for it. All have a reset button that clears out any passwords, but you'd need the first log in information from the manufacturer to make sure you can set up new ones.

Finally, information has appeared on my PS3, and it turns out that it's being shipped back to me today. So I should have it back on either Saturday or Monday, depending on whether UPS actually goes by 3-day shipping or not. I gotta admit, taking less than two weeks to get the box, send it in, and get it back doesn't seem half-bad, and at least Ace Frontier has kept me busy until I'm able to play AC:FA again.

I got my PS3 I think in the same month & same year.

To answer your question I sent in my 60 gig and got a refurbished 60 gig. It looked like it was in new condition. Time frame works like this 3 days for them to mail you the coffin. 1 day for you to mail it back and another 3 days for it to get mail back to you. It may take longer as they & ups don't work weekends. I think they sent me a new system without checking it. As they sent the replacement out the same day. Only issue I had since was redownloading paid connect that's been fixed.

There is a different issue. Which I may have had before. Signing on the PSN. When I turn on the PS3 it automatically connects. As soon as pop in a game that you play online like MGS 4. I get this DNS 80710102 error. I googled it and found a variety of causes & solutions. One cause I read had to do with the PS3 and your computer fighting over the same connection or something of that nature. Could be possible as I tend to lose my computer's connection when the PS3 is used a the same time. As I said I think there was already some connection problems before this. I am in a trial and error phase now.

I can vouch for this. I have a Dell Desktop that I customized and use as a media center that's hooked to my TV. That's got the modem hooked to it. I have a wireless router that feeds 2 laptops, and another modem connection for a desktop in my bedroom. Anyhow, I was downloading a system update today, and it was taking forever and at the same time my laptop was freezing up, which it rarely does. As soon as it was done with the DL, my laptop suddenly at that exact moment went back to normal.

Do you have a desktop computer? You can try buying a 2.5" SATA hard drive enclosure (for turning internal SATA notebook hard drives into portable external hard drives), and erase it that way. As an added plus, if you buy a bigger hard drive for your replacement PS3 down the line, you'll still have the enclosure to use with the old hard drive. The only other option is, if the photos aren't too embarrassing or compromising, just send it it. If they repair and refurbish the unit, they'll certainly reformat the hard drive.

ok i bought a HDD enclosure, since i have a mac its giving me choices to to erase the data and volume reformat it(whatever that means), which one do i choose to reformat? Mac OS Extended, MS-DOS file system or Unix? does it matter or should i just choose any because does sony care?

ok i bought a HDD enclosure, since i have a mac its giving me choices to to erase the data and volume reformat it(whatever that means), which one do i choose to reformat? Mac OS Extended, MS-DOS file system or Unix? does it matter or should i just choose any because does sony care?

I'm not sure if Sony cares, but the closest should be MS-DOS (since I believe that's Mac for FAT32).