Ranka Lee - Innocent naive teenager or Evil war criminal

taksraven

Now because this might be a really big spoiler if I'm right, spoiler tags (also, it's just me rambling, so it might seem a bit disorganised):

IMHO, the 117th Research Fleet did research on how to improve humans (eugenetics).

Ranka is likely to have been one of the test subjects (following the grand anime tradition of unscrupulous scientists using their kids as test subjects). Probably she is part human, part zentradi, and part Varja. The Varja bits might have come from a carcass found somewhere. I suspect that the 117th fleet was unwittingly destroyed by their own research. They probably created something that exerted a massive attraction on the other Varja (read: Ranka/Sheryl), and lost control.

Now I bet Ranka is 'version 1', and Sheryl 'version 2'. Sheryl is more mature, and by giving her an infection with the V-type virus (or at least suggesting she has it), she may be controlled by whoever wants to make use of it (note chance of backlash with this strategy).

Ranka is more impulsive and follows her own path. Which gives her a purpose, next to being a potential obstacle.

Now where does Macross Galaxy come in?

As shown, Galaxy has very advanced technology and uses mind-controlled aircraft (VF-27). Its cyborgs are very human-like and also feature some kind of cyberspace-like control system.

Now the Varja. The Varja have no mind of their own, or at least that is what we are told. They are controlled by 'queens', which on their turn are controlled by a 'true queen'.

Now connect Galaxy and the Varja. What do we get?

Galaxy + Varja = mind-controlled armies where the 'brain' resides on another planet!

I think that the 117th fleet was a tool of Galaxy/NUNS to create a 'Ghost'-like remote controlled army using the Varja. Except that they were not able to replicate the mind-control system of the Varja in a controlable way.

So they create a first test-subject, which is Sheryl. She will be the controlable Queen. Then they create another one, who will lead them to the Varja home-planet: Ranka. The disappearance of the 117th fleet is probably orchestrated.

Then it's just a matter of wiping out both the Little Queen and the True Queen, and controlling the Varja using Sheryl. The V-type virus is the control.

However, I think this is not going to work out, because as Ai-kun showed the Varja are also capable of non-aggressive behaviour (and perhaps individuality?). One doesn't need a (central) nervous system to react to things. Frankly, the scientists on board Frontier have never looked at plants... :rolleyes:

Also, controlling humans never works out in anime :D . I suspect we might be in for a surprise as to the nature of the True Varja Queen.

Please note that I've not watched Macross Zero.

"ta daa" my ass.. Did some bug impregnate her Grandmother or something? Is everyone forgetting the Varja are MINDLESS BUGS?

If I stick a bug in a girls Vaj, she isn't going to have half bug children... She will probably be pissed at me and thats about it.

-_- I didn't mean like hentai-tentacle-rape product of Vajra... No, I meant she is a test-tube baby with spliced DNA.

@Salamander:

Sounds plausible enough.

Thanks! Still... Wondering how Varja can have compatible DNA.. I mean they are mindless bugs. Or are they like going through some kind of evolution change??

It's like Genesis Climber Macross.

Complete with a cross dressing performer / pilot as a love interest!

:lol: @ Agent ONE's post.

Agent ONE: You know, I couldn't help but wonder if her origin about being a quarter Zentrandi is just another makeup memory, told by Ozma to hidden her true origin. After all, she did have a memory block during her young age, and I think her real origin might be a major revelation during the final episodes of MF. (I suspect that will got to do with Grace and that fishy Macross Galaxy...)

the zentraedi lineage must be true, otherwise she would haver suffered some damage after her space-exposure in ep2.

on the other hand, if she's part vajra, that could also explain it. hehe.

AgentONE,

I'm not disscounting the vajra possibility just because of an inter-breeding impossibility. the science of genetics is a surprising thing in the macross universe. after all, didn't the protoculture fool around with the genetic makeup of earth's fish creatures (or whatever local life form) to create humans?

AgentONE,

I'm not disscounting the vajra possibility just because of an inter-breeding impossibility. the science of genetics is a surprising thing in the macross universe. after all, didn't the protoculture fool around with the genetic makeup of earth's fish creatures (or whatever local life form) to create humans?

Well, fish were mentioned in Zero, but in DYRL we are supposed to be derived from the Protoculture race that lived on earth under the ocean.

Well, fish were mentioned in Zero, but in DYRL we are supposed to be derived from the Protoculture race that lived on earth under the ocean.

nope, far as i know, the protoculture didn't live "under the ocean". that island was above sea-level. the earth-dwelling protoculture sunk it to hide it from the zentraedi eons ago before they left.

as for the fish, based on the old origin/folk stories of the mayans (Nomes), the birdman protoculture cut off the fish's head and turned him to a human. while it shouldn't be taken literally, we can assume that it was based somewhat or loosely on fact. we can hyptothesise that the protoculture experimented genetically with a sea-based living creature and turned it into a man. would also tie in with the scientific that all life on earth started as sea-based living things.

nope, far as i know, the protoculture didn't live "under the ocean". that island was above sea-level. the earth-dwelling protoculture sunk it to hide it from the zentraedi eons ago before they left.

Also considering the shifting of the continents it could be possible that the city originally was like an island in a lake or in the middle of the super continent and due to millions of years of continental drift.

while it shouldn't be taken literally, we can assume that it was based somewhat or loosely on fact. we can hyptothesise that the protoculture experimented genetically with a sea-based living creature and turned it into a man. would also tie in with the scientific that all life on earth started as sea-based living things.

I wouldn't say Macross Zero is asserting humans in Macross evolved from the fish. That was just meant to differentiate original humans from Protoculture.

FV

I wouldn't say Macross Zero is asserting humans in Macross evolved from the fish. That was just meant to differentiate original humans from Protoculture.

FV

I believe that the Compendium clearly establishes as Macross canon the fact that humanity is the product of mutation of the already existing life on Earth by the Protoculture... We weren't entirely created from scratch by them... ^_^

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I believe that the Compendium clearly establishes as Macross canon the fact that humanity is the product of mutation of the already existing life on Earth by the Protoculture... We weren't entirely created from scratch by them... ^_^

I don't think that means we started off as fish-men, either, any more than the Protoculture probably resembled actual bird-men. Considering that the source for the whole fish business is Mayan oral tradition, you have to take it all with a grain of salt. Not saying that the legend isn't true, but it's myth and meant to be taken metaphorically. Tampering is a fact, but the nature of the tampering isn't clear. Mankind originated in the oceans, ultimately, but maybe not directly from fish.

(Also, I've changed my mind again and decided Ranka is an evil war criminal. But not by choice! The Vajra made her do it!)

Edited by DeeBot