Kaiyodo Revoltech 2G Thread

IXTL

Does Kaiyodo have an itinerary regarding which characters they'll do first for the Revoltech line?

EDIT: How do they pick which characters they're going to make figures of?

They flip a coin: heads its an EVA, tails its something from Gurren Lagann! :ph34r:

V.4 Kos-Mos sucks. It's all they ever make merchandise of now, but it's the worst design, and the only version I won't buy at all.

While I love the V4 design, it's true that she's practically the only thing on the market related to the Xeno-series... :( The other characters and mechs don't get as much love unfortunately.

Anyway, I went looking up Almecha and I guess they are by Alter. I guess they don't have a long track record to look up for poseables... though the Arbalest from FMP looks mighty good (and expensive).

Edited by shiroikaze

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, I'm surprised that it looks like Revoltech was outdone by Bandai on the Arbalest ARX-7. The Robot Damashii version has shoulder parts that Revoltech lacks. Plus the latest magazine scans show that Bandai is doing other Full Metal Panic! figures too. Revoltech's looks nice, but the only way I'll buy it is if the Bandai one turns out to be trash.

Dancouga looks nice.

But I have the Soul of Chogokin, and really don't see the need for a little Revoltech that isn't capable of transforming and all that...

Besides...I still need to open my v.2 Evas... :0

Pete

I got one with Gurren and Lagann. It's also in the new Eva movie units.

Apparently the mini Assembleborgs have been packed inside all of the NEW Yamaguchi reboots.

I don't care for them.

I got one with Gurren and Lagann. It's also in the new Eva movie units.

Apparently the mini Assembleborgs have been packed inside all of the NEW Yamaguchi reboots.

I don't care for them.

I got one with Gurren and Lagann, but none in my Arc Gurren or Super Galaxy Gurren Lagann. The mini-assembleborgs are absolute jokes. They make me want to not get any assembleborgs. I'd rather have them spend the money they wasted on these developing a real figure.

I concur. The Assemble Borgs are ridiculous. I can only hope they cost a penny to make because if it turns out Kaiyodo actually invested real money in developing these than that has got to be the absolute DUMBEST business decision since solar powered flash lights.

Aside from the fact that the Assemble Borg is random, has no tie to any anime that anyone might like and has no back story I know of, it's also utterly ugly.

Packing ugly things with Revoltechs, whose biggest selling point next to poseability is aesthetic value, is stupid.

It's like Guchi offering pre-prepared used tissues in their hanbags, or Toyota offering pre-filled puke bags with each car purchased.

Plus, the damn things are full of sharp edges ready to kill you.

Pete

Yeah, you're in the minority :-)

Although, then again - in all fairness - I have to get around to actually watching Patlabor.

I think the problem is that the Revoltech Patlabor's fell victim to being some of the "first" Revoltechs. I dunno about anybody else, but I have the feeling that Kaiyodo has been getting better and better at doing these figures - to the point where the first batch of Revoltechs truly PALES in comparisson to newer ones.

They'd effectively need to redesign most of their patlabor line, I think. Also, Patlabor is hard to do as a Revoltech due to those...er...baggy..elements?...dunno how you call them...that cover the joints on the mecha...

Heck, even taking something like Revoltech Rei Ayanami and comparing it to Revoltech Yoko shows how far they've advanced...

Pete

Revoltech is overall hideously underused. If I owned Kaiyodo, I'd be buying licenses and pumping out mecha left and right. And I'd have continued the Street Fighter line! Hello, Cammy figure? Dark Stalkers?

Instead, the line spends the majority of its resources on idol-anime, and nigh-hentai stuff now...

Revoltech is overall hideously underused. If I owned Kaiyodo, I'd be buying licenses and pumping out mecha left and right. And I'd have continued the Street Fighter line! Hello, Cammy figure? Dark Stalkers?

Instead, the line spends the majority of its resources on idol-anime, and nigh-hentai stuff now...

You're absolutely right. They are pumping out garbage loli-ish crap. I just can't bring myself to believe that the idol characters are big sellers?

I guess I'm the only person that likes the assemble borgs? I handled some at SDCC and they're really nice but I already have too much stuff so I have to pass. They kind of remind me of micro men/kikaider/Sentai/etc.

I really like Patlabor but the initial offerings from Revoltech where not as good as my old Bandai pre off shoot in action Ingram. Better for dynamic poses I suppose but like most revoltechs they can't really stand straight and the first versions didn't have the ankle holster, all the extra accessories or even the opening cockpit the Bandai did. I have most the Patlabor releases already and I almost bought a Brocken I saw at SDCC for $18 but it's hard to justify considering it has like no accessories. I'd really like some better anemies/villians to display with my Police Labors, sometimes the Griffon (flight/aqua) just doesn't cut it.

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I think all the human figures from revoltech are hideous even the new ones. They should really just stick to mecha IMO.

Hideous? I thought the revoltech's take on Fist of the north star was pretty awesome! love em! =) Pity i cant afford to nab the horse and raoh 2 pack....

also quite fond of yoko movie version, but love figma figures more for the anime ladies, just sleeker/cooler IMO

I just can't bring myself to believe that the idol characters are big sellers?

I dunno. Hardo to gauge what sells well and what doesn't when the economy is so crap. Generally nothing sells "well" these days IMO :-)

As for the human-revoltechs being "hideous"... well... I dunno. I mean - true, if I compare Kaiyodo asses to VFM Yamato asses - hideous. But Yamato is 3 times more expensive, so it's like complaining that a cheap hooker looks like a cheap hooker rather than like a more expensive hooker.

On the whole, I think Kaiyodo's fraulein is great. The Evangelion girls turned out well for the most part, Yoko is fab. The SOS Brigade girls are nice too. Figmas also look good and certainly are competitive with what Kaiyodo offers.

I think they HAVE been buying licenses left and right. The problem is - and this is just my personal opinion - that they have a bit of the same problem as Yamato in terms of high production costs and a lower quantity produced than say, Bandai does of its' stuff.

The market's been saturated for a while, and I'm not surprised Kaiyodo took a bit of a break and might be being more selective in terms of what they do right now.

But eventually they WILL probably do EVERYTHING and in multiple versions.

The concept is a winner - semi-affordable action figure with extremely good poseability, lots of accessories and an anime-accurate, dynamic sculpt.

But even winning concepts run into trouble in an economic depression, and this creates problems.

Pete

I thought the revoltech's take on Fist of the north star was pretty awesome! love em! =) Pity i cant afford to nab the horse and raoh 2 pack....
I forgot about those. I was actually kind of surprised by them when I first saw them in person. They're pretty good but I wouldn't say they're awesome. they're more the exception than the rule IMO. Hey there's hardly any FotN merchandise usually so I guess that defaults them to awesome B))

I guess I'm the only person that likes the assemble borgs? I handled some at SDCC and they're really nice but I already have too much stuff so I have to pass. They kind of remind me of micro men/kikaider/Sentai/etc.

I really like Patlabor but the initial offerings from Revoltech where not as good as my old Bandai pre off shoot in action Ingram. Better for dynamic poses I suppose but like most revoltechs they can't really stand straight and the first versions didn't have the ankle holster, all the extra accessories or even the opening cockpit the Bandai did. I have most the Patlabor releases already and I almost bought a Brocken I saw at SDCC for $18 but it's hard to justify considering it has like no accessories. I'd really like some better anemies/villians to display with my Police Labors, sometimes the Griffon (flight/aqua) just doesn't cut it.

I know I'm probably in the minority here but I think all the human figures from revoltech are hideous even the new ones. They should really just stick to mecha IMO.

I don't think we've been dissing assembleborgs. We've been dissing "mini-assembleborgs". They are more or less fixed pose small scale assembleborgs that come with a few of the revoltech toys. I personally think Assembleborgs are a pretty decent off-shoot, just not the "mini" versions.