Ride Armors, Legioss and Treads! Oh my!

EXO

I must be in the minority that thinks Toynami valks LOOK good. The QC is crap, but I think they look very good and fairly sleek. The old Imai kit has a special place in my heart b/c it was one of the first I ever painted, but the wings on it are way too small and the canopy is too big, though those faults give it a SD/chibi like charm.

I agree. Totally love the two Toynami "Alphas" I have (Fuke & Dark), but they've got some bugs. Nothing horrible, but they're not perfect and would likely justify a return if they were a mainstream retail product. For the $70 or so they cost, they were a pretty good deal.

They're on display with my Artmic Starship Trooper powered armors, Takatoku Dorvack mecha, and some Orguss pieces and they fit in perfectly.

I do pick them up and toy with them occasionally. Fuke's stays in Soldier mode all the time, because I really like it that way. The Dark tends to be displayed in one mode or another depending on my mood. Right now its in 'Stalking Fighter' mode with the canopy up to show off the figure.

The one thing that consistently bothers me about them is how difficult it is t to collapse and pull apart the legs properly, which I've found is due to paint and poly-caps binding inside of the legs. (Requires some dis-assembly to fix.) And also that the upper arms pull down from the shoulders in such a way that its so tight most people actually miss the full extension range.

I'm hoping to pick up the Maya Sterling one at some future point. The color combo is interesting, and I'm expecting the QC will be really good unless the tooling is damaged from Aoshima's mishandling of their manufacturing run. (No smear on Aoshima. They just wound up in a position where they had to rush the production of their first runs, and the product absolutely doesn't do well on a rushed line. "Fast.... good... or cheap. Pick any two.")

Edited by AcroRay

Hi everyone,

Well i got home and i found this on my door step. I mean the betafighter not the tv ben hehehehe. The only thing i don't like about this is the legs they are a bit loose but everything else is (Great). This piece is heavy and it's worth the money i spend on it. Just wanted to share this info.

SD

post-3380-1229132669_thumb.jpg

post-3380-1229132699_thumb.jpg

Wow! The hands look like they're backward, though...

What scale Valk is that next to it?

More pictures, please!

Edited by AcroRay

Ugh, kinda wishing the head was a little bit taller (like in my avatar) and less flattened/mashed down.

But we'll see what happens when I finally get my hands on it.

EDIT: After looking at the head in my avatar, the production version looks pretty similar. Don't drink and post, kiddies! :)

Edited by Mog

FYI...

Toynami Beta is shipping from RT.com on Friday. I wonder why they are waiting another day to ship? The ebay listing shown above states they have it on hand right now and are ready to ship today.

Man, I guess we can expect hell to freeze over. Never thought it would ever come out.

Hi everyone,

Well i got home and i found this on my door step. I mean the betafighter not the tv ben hehehehe. The only thing i don't like about this is the legs they are a bit loose but everything else is (Great). This piece is heavy and it's worth the money i spend on it. Just wanted to share this info.

SD

Thanks for the pics!

I have some questions for you (or anyone who owns a Toynami Beta):

- is there any easy way to hide or remove that cockpit in battroid mode?

- what do you think about the QC?

thanks

Hi everyone,

SD

more pictures please!!!!!! :wacko:

Toynami had the hardest time trying to figure out what to do about the cockpit in soldier mode... then they apparently gave up. They also probably took quite a while figuring out the connection between the two toys. I'm curious to see how that turned out. The Alpha also looks really plain without its stickers... Toynami doesn't exactly do a lot of tampo stuff.

Toynami had the hardest time trying to figure out what to do about the cockpit in soldier mode... then they apparently gave up. They also probably took quite a while figuring out the connection between the two toys. I'm curious to see how that turned out. The Alpha also looks really plain without its stickers... Toynami doesn't exactly do a lot of tampo stuff.

its not so much tampo printing or details, its literally the toy's design.

even though its 2008, it still look rather 80's ish you know what i mean?

i know its a 80's design mecha but it just doesn't look like it has much to it.

in any case, i don't have money for these luxury items as of late.

real life stuff has put macross in the back seat...actually more like the trunk.

its not so much tampo printing or details, its literally the toy's design.

even though its 2008, it still look rather 80's ish you know what i mean?

i know its a 80's design mecha but it just doesn't look like it has much to it.

in any case, i don't have money for these luxury items as of late.

real life stuff has put macross in the back seat...actually more like the trunk.

That's just it though. The Beta wasn't intended to be super complex. It was a booster unit that was an afterthought in the overall show that got incorporated. The toy looks very close to the show, minus the screwed up cockpit. Toynami failed on the cockpit even if QC is perfect. But hopefully a little custom work will make for an easily attached piece to hide it in battroid mode.

maybe i'll break down and pick one or the other after the holidays but right now, no.

toynami, CMs, it doesn't matter, i think i'll be instantly disappointed as soon as i open either box. :mellow::lol:

It depends if you're a mospeada freak like me ^_^

I'm really happy with the crew:

post-557-1229198810_thumb.jpg

You still skate gene? It's good to hit it up once in a while!!!

It depends if you're a mospeada freak like me ^_^

I'm really happy with the crew:

post-557-1229198810_thumb.jpg

You still skate gene? It's good to hit it up once in a while!!!

i know you are! and i knew you'd get them all, haha!

don't get me wrong, i want one, really i do. i just feel i'd be disappointed with either of them.

yes i've been skating alot, thats why you haven't seen me around here.

i converted my living room into a skateshop and working with the NYC parks dept and my sponsors throwing skating events in NYC. its a lot of work organizing everything but tons of fun and the kids really appreciate it. i actually got redbull, emerica, and volcom to sponsor my last event back in october. about 600 kids showed up from all over the tri-state area for a fun filled day of skating, i was super stoked to say the least. :)

if/when i make it down there, we'll have to link up and hit some spots!