Tytania. Coming October 2008!

UN Spacy

New to this thread. I've just watched the trailer and I must say I'm with the skeptic crowd: There's nothing appealing to that trailer.

I wasn't expecting any technical breakthroughs, but some good and original art, the kind of visuals you expect from veteran anime masters. Everything in that trailer is cliche: the ships, the characters, the backgrounds, the color palette, the noble ruler seated on his golden throne. It'd surprise me if the story was any good.

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

Okay it has Ishiguro, Mikimoto and Miyatake involved. Preview is done in classic space anime look. I'm sold. This what I like to see. At least from the first visual peak.

Ok now here's a question: Is there some underline reason why Ishiguro, Mikimoto, Miyatake, and Kawamori don't get together on a new Macross? I mean did they have a falling out or did Kawamori not want to work with them anymore? :unsure:

Edited by aerocombatpilot

Mikimoto has changed his style a bit. I wouldn't have guessed this is based on his designs.

Well... it's not that he changed his style - if you've read any volume of Gundam L'Ecole du Ciel, you'll see he hadn't... Mikimito still does Mikimoto. However.... if you read carefull "The preview site confirms that Haruhiko Mikimoto [...] will be in charge of the original character designs. Noboru Sugimitsu [...] will adapt those designs for anime."

"Original character design" being the keyword - it means he did illistrutations for the characters but didn't work on the series per se... which is probably why the end result looks somewhat different from what you would expect with a more "hands-on" approach from Mikimito. Whenever Mikimoto only does the original chara design... it never end up quite like Mikimoto's work (indeed you can just look at Macross 7 - while you can still feel Mikimoto's original design behind it... you clearly see an obviou differnce between the characters in the anime, and the illustrations done by Mikimoto).

Ok now here's a question: Is there some underline reason why Ishiguro, Mikimoto, Miyatake, and Kawamori don't get together on a new Macross? I mean did they have a falling out or did Kawamori not want to work with them anymore?

Good question. I've never heard of a falling out. Some time it's just that people goes sperate ways, or it can also be that schedules don't fit (Mikimoto for instance was meant to do the character design of Macross Plus... but ended not doing it because it proved to be too much to do both Plus and Seven at the same time and Seven had started production before it). Or perhaps they're not that interesed in Macross anymore who knows and want to do other venue. As I said before, Mikimoto isn't that interested in character design anymore... he always considered himself more of an "illustrator" and got into character design somewhat by accident - which is why for the last decade he's been doing little character design, and focused more on his mangaka carrier.

Also there is some willingness on Kawamori's part to do something different... as I recall that was the reason he chose not to use Mikimoto for Macross Zero.

As for this new anime, we'll see... it does indeed look a look like Legend of Galaxy Heroes. Pehraps it'll be okay.

-Sergorn

The trailer looks horrible. Doesn't look flashy with tons of action like Macross or Gundam nor does it present anything interesting.

However.

Its what I completely expected. Legend of the Galactic Heroes was literally talking heads and ship-of-the-line naval clashes. I say its probably a better idea going with CG...might have enough movement to please those who like a bit of action here and there like myself.

To be honest, it's what LoGH would probably look like in the 21st century sans the mediocre character design. Can't judge it yet considering the story and dialogue was what made LoGH a fantastic anime.

Edited by smith

To be honest, it's what LoGH would probably look like in the 21st century sans the mediocre character design. Can't judge it yet considering the story and dialogue was what made LoGH a fantastic anime.

That's pretty much it... It looks to be another LoGH.

For people who want that same kind of epic story, you should probably be excited. For people looking for action or a giant robot series... you're going to be disappointed.

I'm not really getting the complaints about the character designs. Do people need them to have giant, rainbow-colored hair to make them stand out from one another? If I had to make a complaint about the trailer, and this applies to nearly all anime these days, its that it didn't need to be drenched in generic J-pop. Because nothing says vaguely 19th century space opera like trendy J-pop. :rolleyes:

Hey, Japanese animation studios: sell the computers and buy some talent. Yes, people actually move when they talk. Animation 101.

Are you new to anime? That's the only explanation I can come up with for this post. FYI, characters have always been somewhat static in non-action scenes. Anime 101.

Hey, Japanese animation studios: sell the computers and buy some talent. Yes, people actually move when they talk. Animation 101.

I get so tired of hearing people complain about how the computers supposedly are to blame when the artwork is below standard. The computer is only a tool. The blame belongs entirely on the artists using them. Take away the computers and the poor results would still be poor.

Okay, I've rewatched the trailer carefully, and my first reaction was pretty over the top. It's nowhere near as bad as I made it out to be. I'm not sure what I was thinking.

I would like the characters in a "talky" anime to be a little more expressive, though.

Edited by danth

So the first episode is out. It certainly has a LOGH feel to it, and even the story of the first episode seemed very familiar. Overall I'd say I enjoyed it enough to download the next one. If it can keep up the space opera feel without being too derivative it might well be one of the only shows I watch this season. Its certainly a welcome break from emo teenagers piloting one-of-a-kind super robots.

Well I saw the first episode. I certainly enjoyed it. It is reminiscent of LOGH of course... but also different in some aspect. Admitingly the animation isn't really up to today's standards, but that's good enough, and the space battle looks pretty neat. The story looks interesting as well so I'm looking forward to the next episode. I'd agree it's a nice change from the usual sci-fi stuff we get in anime.

Well, it certainly is different, and looks rather, well... dated. If you had told me this originally came out 15 or 20 years ago, I would not have questioned it.

Let's not exagerate. All the 3D space-ships and al wouldn't have been possible 15 years ago :p

-Sergorn

I also saw the first episode, and enjoyed it. I share the same sentiment that animation is not as fluid some of the recent shows, but it is still pretty good. Mitatake's designs are still cool. When I saw the Tytanian ships, I was reminded of the Thurvel-Salan and the Varauta Battleship. Hope there is more epic space battles in the future.

Watched this 1st ep yesterday and I liked it. I didn't think the animation was as much substandard as some say but I agree it could have been better, especially for a 1st ep; the 3D looks good but in the same time it's hard to go wrong with spaceships made of only one piece (no movements of independant parts to animate make the process easier, obviously); I had some difficulties to recognize the Mikimoto style in the character design (yes, I know his designs are too much complex to be used 'as is' and they're reworked a lot before being animated) but this may become more obvious in the next eps

It looks promising so far: I'll give it a serious try

The only subs are in .mkv :unsure:

Psst....ANBU with an LQ *.avi. I'm really surprised though if this anime is so epic as some are saying in variuos boards why the lukewarm reception from fansubbers? Is it beecause its dialogue heavy? :huh:

Caught the first episode. The animation was a lot better than I expected from that teaser trailer. Nothing to write home about, but LotGH was the same way. I liked the ship designs in LotGH though, not really digging the designs here, but maybe they'll grow on me. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Saw the first episode, designs and pacing did not disappoint. The cast did not grab me as much as those of Crest of the Stars did but it's promissing enough to keep following.

• 2 weeks later...

Fan Hulic is a typical anti-hero type, much like Yang Wenli.

Btw, (Warning, heavy spoiler)

I wonder how Lyra will end on the TV series, I heard in the novel, Lyra is captured by Tytania in the end of the series and was raped to death O.O.

Edited by Morpheus

watched the first episode, and well it didn't grab me. The characters were flat and boring with no real emotion, and for the most part were just a bunch of elitist jerk offs. The space battles were pretty and impressive to watch, but show the completely wrong way to wage war, and shows that the Tytania has such a tech advantage over the fleet that there is no reason that they shouldn't just walk right over them, given their more powerful weapons and shield tech. The only thing that the other fleet had was those big guns, but they detontated after use, that is no way to make a giant killer weapon system, it is hugely wasteful and would quickly bankrupt any government using them. I may give it one or two more episodes, but unless the characters or story really starts to grab me I will let it go.

Eh, I think thats probably one of the best parts of Yoshiki Tanaka's series. Warfare today has become a routinized process, with the creation of joint staffs, rules of engagement and doctrine ect. Tytania heralds back to an earlier era of warfare, not completely dominated by "professional" soldiers, but by uneven talent, with genius and ineptitude mixed together.

I think thats the best part of the attack. The battle wasn't really supposed to be a battle; it was a political spectacle; for Lord Ayabart to show his superiority over his brothers, For Tytania to show its dominion over space, and even for Euria to give its token resistance to Tytania. It wasn't good enough for Ayabart to destroy the Eurian fleet from afar, letting a portion to escape; he wanted a complete and utter victory with the complete destruction of his enemy that could be shown to all. It was a political, not a military act. They never thought Euria could win, which reflects their arrogance and disregard for caution. Hulick understood this and created a strategy which took advantage of that hubris.

Knight, you might like to check out the Legend of the Galactic Heroes... its a bit more realistic than Tytania, even though it has all the same trends.

Edited by Noyhauser

It's got one of those retro old fashion space battle feels, like way back in the days of pirates and navy ships in the sea duking it out.

I got a bit of hope for this show as it does interest me a bit. But 4 episodes in and not much of anything.

I wonder if this'll end or if they'll leave ya hanging like in the novels since they weren't finished.

Watched the first episode

I like the character designs and the look but not the animation. CGI ship look alright when it is just one ship on the screen. Characters aren't very animated. It very limited animation. Could have a really great story but it animation is mediocre. If it was Macross I keep watching. If Tytania in film comic form I'd likely check it out.

Alright, as of the 4th episode I'm officially a fan. It's a lot like LotGH in a lot of ways, without being the same thing all over again. I like the characters a lot, too.

I agree with Roy, though. The animation certainly isn't what has me looking forward to each episode.

• 2 weeks later...
Was there this much build up between space battles in LOGH?

Yes. The Amlitzer starzone encounter, one of the main battles of the show, has a three (even four) episode build up and covers three episodes. By comparison this isn't that much. I get the feeling that Tytania is intended to be "LOGH lite" designed to keep some of the deeper themes of LOGH, but without the hard core history that the story had. I just noticed but this is playing on NHK, so its probably designed to appeal to a wider audience.

Edited by Noyhauser