25th Anniversary G.I. Joes, Wave II

Mog

Hmmmn. G.I. Joe Modern Era Cobra 5 Pack. http://www.toyark.com/news/gi-joe-toy-news...artanviper-230/

Depending on price, I may snag it. I don't have a hooded CC yet (I'm picky about paint apps) but I really prefer the darker blue. But this one has staff AND cape. (but it's not a movie-style black and red cape). Good Baroness, good (if generic/bland) SS, but most importantly--a chrome-masked Lackey Viper. And they painted the goggles---though incorrectly IMHO. Must have chrome-masked Lackey Viper.

PS--when is the chrome-masked CC coming out? I know I saw pics a while ago, but I can't even remember if he's a 2-pack or 5-pack or what.

PS--when is the chrome-masked CC coming out?

In the last DVD pack, I think the online stores have already started shipping them out.

good (if generic/bland) SS

After studying the pics more, he has a lot more new pieces than I thought he did initially. Looks like he no longer has slippers, has new feet, lower legs, sleeveless upper arms, new forearms that swivel at the wrist instead of breaking the sculpt of the forearm wrappings and swiveling in the middle, nunchuks, and the grappling hook shown with Baroness is actually meant for Storm Shadow.

I haven't seen ANY battle packs in stores since the first 2. (though all I really want from the last couple is a red-masked BAT---I really have no desire for the others from that set, presuming a better Dusty comes out---the face paint is just too thick/heavy, plus the random dark brown head-wrap thing)

PS---is there another "normal" Scarlett coming in the future? I didn't like the original face sculpt, and the new pilot one---I just don't like all the "pilot" stuff, honestly.

::edit:: Gah, and now I just find out about this pack: http://yojoe.com/magazine/2008/11/14.shtml With a truly "toon-accurate" Lady Jaye. Heck, looks to be mostly new parts. Maybe I can trade my DVD-Jaye for something (her filecard and stand are still sealed) (I pretty much only want 1 version of each character--the "best" version--which to me is generally "animated movie appearance") Man, I really only want the Lady Jaye from that set---but I assume everyone else has the same opinion, and she'll probably sell loose for almost what the 5-pack costs. I gotta stop buying "good enough" and wait for "perfection" since it seems Hasbro is going to do every subtle variant possible. (still waiting for a brown-shirt animated Flint, and same for Falcon--and need dark green vest V2 Roadblock)

I made a run to Big Lots today. Now is a good time as they are gearing up for the holidays and they seem to be freshly stocked.

They had the following 1:18 scale items:

Combat Helicopter ($12)

http://www.joearmory.com/ptemiblittlebirdhelicopter.aspx

Combat Tank (M1 Abrams)($20 or $30 something, can't remember)

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Team-Elite-Mil...k/dp/B0006N8WUG

Patrol Boat (US Marines version) ($14)

http://store.foxholetoys.com/1scpoteelpus.html

Lookout Tower(couldn't have been more than $10 IIRC)

http://store.foxholetoys.com/1scpoteelplo.html

They also had several different 1:6 scale dolls for SWAT and Marines. IMO they didn't look very good, but they were around $10.

I picked up the helicopter. I see on the back that there is suppose to be an F/A-18 Hornet. Does anyone know if it's any good?

FYI, I think this weekend is good time to hunt for things because I would assume that all the stores will be geared up for after Thanksgiving shopping. Just as Big Lots seemed to be freshly and fully stocked, I'm sure all the usual stores you shop at will be newly stocked.

Edited by sharky

I still don't have a Firefly, mainly because they are too close to Beachhead---but this new one looks to be even more Beachhead than the others! Seriously, could they make a Firefly that has at least 10% unique molding? Look at the Blowtorch fig--he has plenty of new parts for a far less popular character. (unless those legs are used somewhere else)

Seriously, could they make a Firefly that has at least 10% unique molding?

Just buy the wave 3 Firefly(or comic pack one), and comic pack Beachhead, comic pack Beachhead has all new heads, weaponry, and accessories such as a v1 accurate vest.

Look at the Blowtorch fig--he has plenty of new parts for a far less popular character. (unless those legs are used somewhere else)

Eventually the legs may be used later on, Hasbro likes to plan ahead, making sure one mold can be used for another character, at least this is the case with Transformers but I would not be surprised if they are doing this with all their other lines. The Resolute comic pack of Tunnel Rat and Storm Shadow has a swappable mask for Storm Shadow that is a match for Ninja Force Dice, as are the weapons.

is the "red goggles" Firefly the best one?

Yes. It doesn't have the v1 accurate gear, but it makes up for it by having awesome gear and weaponry, and having a darker color scheme overall, with a nice vest added too. The comic pack Firefly is honestly more geared toward sabotaging something, the wave 3 single pack version looks more like a commando. The comic pack version has more playability, and the accessories are excellent(the wave 13 single pack Firefly just has the same backpack, not the other accessories like the awesome gun, goggles, etc). Honestly the wave 4 comic pack of Storm Shadow vs Firefly was worth getting, I was very hesitant because Storm Shadow is shirtless and it didn't look right, but ultimately the comic was good, the accessories were awesome, and Storm Shadow isn't so bad, I do have white paint now, so I will be painting him eventually. Once painted(which really there isn't many parts that need to be painted, the torso for one, maybe the lower arms), it will be a better figure.

I went to another Big Lots a little further from work today. I found one A-10 among the Little Birds, Marine Patrol boats, guard towers, and tanks that seem to be out right now. The packaging was not new and crisp leading me to think it's been there for a little while. It was priced at $30.

It has sort of a grey low-viz finish which is nice. My favorite paint scheme would have been a flying tiger paint scheme, but this one is my second favorite. One small thing is that the canopy panel lines are not painted. Both the front canopy section and the hinged top are completely clear. The panel lines are molded in though, so I can paint it later. For $30 I'm not complaining.

Also, this Big Lots had some small $3 figure sets that had one 3-3/4 figure, a large accessory, and a few other small accessories. The sets I saw were of a camel, horse, kayak, or parachute.

I also went to Toys R Us and picked up the GI-Joe comic pack with Wild Weasel and Ace. So, now I can put Wild Weasel in the A-10 and he can fight my Wild Bill who is piloting my Little Bird. :D

Edited by sharky

Yeah, I saw that on Hisstank. Slow down, Hasbro, please!

Ghost H.A.W.K. and Sting Raider were sighted today.

So, now I can put Wild Weasel in the A-10 and he can fight my Wild Bill who is piloting my Little Bird.

Not without modification, you need to cut away some plastic from the interior of the A-10's cockpit for Wild Weasel to fit. I forgot which thread I saw it in, but it isn't much plastic to cut away.

Yeah, I had to modify the A-10 cockpit to get Wild Weasel to fit. The problem I had was that his legs were too long for the cockpit. The wheel well for the front landing gear was in the way. I took the A-10 apart and hacked away at the bottom plate that makes up the floor and wheel well portion of the cockpit. Now his feet can be inserted further into the cockpit and he can sit normally. His feet actually don't interfere with the front landing gear wheel when it is retracted. Removing the wall between his feet and the wheel did the trick for me. I also shaved off a little ribbing on the sides underneath the control panel assembly to allow for smoother entry of his legs.

Another way to modify the toy would be to cut away at the side panels of the seat. I said that his legs are too long, but actually the problem is that his gun holster and knife sheath make his thighs too wide for the seat. I simply pushed him a little more forward so that the holster and sheath clear the side panels of the seat. He sits a little more reclined, but it doesn't look bad at all. This causes his legs to hit the wheel well wall. I preferred to cut away at the wheel well since it is completely concealed by the control panel assembly. I didn't like the idea of hacking at the side panels of the seat since you would be able to see it through the canopy.

Overall it is a nice looking toy. I think perhaps the wings are wee bit short, but if you are not so familiar or you don't compare it to an actual A-10 photo you would never really know it. It's a good looking and large toy for $30. The paint scheme is nice and has weathering.

One nit pick would be that the wings are only molded as a top, and there is no bottom half. If you view it from the top you would never know. From the bottom you can obviously see that the wings are a single wall of plastic. That and the canopy panel lines not being painted are the only things I see wrong with an otherwise good value.

I still prefer this toy over the Rattler toy.

HISSTANK put up new pictures of some upcoming GI JOE movie figures.

http://www.hisstank.com/gi-joe-news/gi-joe...viper-set-7837/

I'm personally not too excited about the movie, but I can't say the same for the figures. Looks like Hasbro is doing a somewhat decent job on the figures/toys so far.

Edited by Veritas

Finally found an Eel. Also, found a Snow Serpent painted much better than I've seen before, so picked one up. Pilot Scarlett seems to be a pegwarmer, which is good for me, as I decided I want one (only for parts for customizing) but they all suffer from the most common of 25th Joe problems---flashing around the jaw. And you can't trim it off, as it'll reveal the base plastic color. Just gotta keep hunting for one with a "smooth jawline". (far more important on female figs than guys). When/if I find a really good one, I'll buy it. (paint around the knees is also very sloppy on many, as is the white on the harness)

The last 2 days I,ve seen or bought a ton of Joes.

I bought:

Airborne

Cobra Flint

Cobra Eel

Zartan

Pilot Scarlett

Cobra Trooper (Resolute)

I passed on

Cobra Commander(Resolute)

Dreadnok Torch

Duke (Resolute)

Firefly

Cobra Officer (Python)

Matt Trakker M.A.S.K.

Several vehicle sets

The latest wave I have found is wave 11 and remnants at that. I hope I find the Ghost HAWK and Sting Raider before xmas, I love what Hasbro has done with the Ghost HAWK, and always wanted a Skyhawk with a glass canopy, now I finally get my wish! This will also be my first time ever owning a Sky HAWK mold too. What made me want it? The first story lines in the Marvel books.

For wave 11 I bought Zartan and Matt Trakker. Trakker has a great face sculpt, one of the best in the line, the gear is great, but the elbow movement is hindered. That took me by surprise, and is the only disappointment I have with him. Zartan, if you wanted a classic one all along, and the wave 3 version didn't do it for you, look no further, this one rules! The only bad thing is the fact that he uses Gung Ho's torso so his ab movement is inadequate, and the swamp skier is severly out of scale. Maybe the Combat Heroes figures will look..........., actually no they would look too big for it. The figure himself was worth the wait, the face sculpt is great. I like this figure much more than the wave 3 Zartan. The backpack stays closed much easier too, on my wave 3 version the backpack does not want to stay closed at all!

I'm actually more interested in getting Lift Ticket than the vehicle he comes with (some of his parts look very promising for a custom I wanna do).

If I somehow miraculously come across a Ghost Hawk (just barely saw a Firebat today for the first time), I'd be willing to part with it (sans Lift Ticket).

As for Wave 11, I love the Eels, but I absolutely hate how criminally short their breathing tubes are. You can't really turn the dude's head with the helmet on. Also, I had to paint his feet black; the grey feet just didn't look right on the black fins.

Zartan's definitely a cool addition, but I had to use his upper arms and upper legs for a far greater purpose. ;)

Pilot Scarlett is alright, but part of me wishes they sculpted her hair in a ponytail like the card art.

I'd comment on Airborne, but none of the damn stores near me seem to have him. :angry: