Krull

areaseven

krulldvd.jpg

Krull ( 銀河伝説クルール )

Columbia Pictures, 1983, 2008

Directed by Peter Yates (Bullitt, Murphy's War)

Written by Stanford Sherman (Any Which Way You Can, The Ice Pirates)

Running Time: 121 minutes

Rated PG for violence.

Cast

Ken Marshall (Eddington in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine) as Prince Colwyn

Lysette Anthony as Princess Lyssa

Lindsay Crouse (Professor Walsh in Buffy the Vampire Slayer) as Princess Lyssa (voice)

Trevor Martin as The Beast

Freddie Jones (Thufir in Dune, Dallben in The Black Cauldron) as Ynyr

Francesca Annis (Lady Jessica in Dune, Jacqueline Kennedy in Onassis: The Richest Man in the World) as Lyssa, Widow of the Web

Alun Armstrong (Garrow in Eragon) as Torquil

David Battley (1935-2003) as Ergo the Magnificent

Bernard Bresslaw (1934-1993) (Varga in Doctor Who) as Rell the Cyclops

Liam Neeson (like nobody here knows who he is...) as Kegan

John Welsh (1904-1985) as The Seer

Graham McGrant as Titch

Robbie Coltrane (Zukovsky in GoldenEye, Hagrid in the Harry Potter series) as Rhun

Michael Elphick (1946-2002) as Rhun (voice)

"This it was given me to know, that many worlds have been enslaved by the Beast and his army, the Slayers. And this too was given me to know, that the Beast would come to our world, the world of Krull, and his Black Fortress would be seen in the land; that the smoke of the burning villages would darken the sky. And the cries of the dying echo through deserted valleys. But one thing I cannot know: whether the prophecy be true, that a girl by ancient name shall be queen, that she shall choose a king, and that together, they shall rule our world, and that their son shall rule the galaxy..."

Synopsis

In the distant planet of Krull, the evil entity known as the Beast makes his presence known by planting his Black Fortress and invading the lands with his army known as the Slayers. Prince Colwyn and Princess Lyssa are to wed as a means to unite two rival kingdoms against the Beast. The ceremony, however, is disrupted by the Slayers, who abduct Lyssa and leave Colwyn for dead.

Aided by the elder warrior Ynyr, Colwyn journeys to retrieve the legendary weapon known as the Glaive. They are soon joined by the magician Ergo, the cyclops Rell, the blind clairvoyant known as the Seer and a band of escaped criminals, as they embark on a perilous adventure to seek the Black Fortress and use the power of the Glaive to stop the Beast from marrying Lyssa and enslaving all of Krull.

Lowdown

It's a classic tale of good vs. evil - a young hero goes on a quest to rescue his damsel in distress from the villain. The difference is its setting, which takes place in a medieval timeline mixed with futuristic elements. And if this feels like a role-playing game, there's good reason - Krull was originally planned as a Dungeons & Dragons movie. However, during production, the D&D license was dropped.

What a shame, as the real Dungeons & Dragons film really sucked.

This 1983 film boasts tons of breathtaking set designs, outstanding cinematography, dazzling special effects and an epic orchestral score by James Horner (Braveheart, The Rocketeer). The acting itself is, at most, average. As a matter of fact, a couple of characters had to be re-dubbed with different voices for reasons unknown. Nevertheless, Krull is still a fun movie to watch after all these years.

And for under $10, it's a steal. Pick up Krull today. It's one of the best guilty pleasure films ever made.

Rating: B+

DVD Extras: B-

To celebrate the film's 25th anniversary, Sony Pictures remastered it in High Definition. The result is vibrant picture quality and rich colors not seen since the film was issued on laserdisc ages ago. The Glaive has never been shinier.

On the other hand, the extras are limited to two types of commentary - Cast & Crew and Behind-the-Scenes. In addition, the DVD includes a digital copy of the film you can download to your laptop or PSP.

"A girl of ancient name shall become queen. She shall choose a king, and together, they shall rule our world. And their son shall rule the galaxy."

References

The Internet Movie Database

Wikipedia

I posted in this thread and my post has been deleted... Any mod want to tell me why?

I think all I said was that A7 rated Krull as if he was rating it when it came out, not comparing it to today's standards.

Hardly a post that should disappear.

I eagerly await Areaseven's review of other 80's gems like Megaforce (??????) and Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn (??????????).

Hold your horses! He's gotta do Space Hunter, Ator: the Fighting Eagle, and Yor: The Hunter of the Future first! :lol:

Edited by Gubaba

**BAN RISK**

MEGAFORCE!!!!

"Deeds, not words!"

megaforce6.jpg

"Rockets! Motorcycles! Motorcycles firing rockets! Coolness!"

"Because the good guys always win.....even in the 80's!"

Heh. Back to Krull, I always liked it but it is NOT a good movie. It looks very dated now, unfortunately. However the glaive is and always shall be cool. :D (a recent South Park episode had Jesus using the glaive!) A neat part of the story that I always liked was how the Beast tricked the cyclops's people. He gave them the power to see into the future, but the only event they could see was the time of their death. Try to avoid it, and they die an even worse death.

Are you sure it was actually posted? There's no record of it. Unless whoever deleted it subsequently deleted it from the "archive" as well---which is rare and very paranoid behaviour for a mod.

Only a Jedi would have the ability to delete something from the archives. :p

Could never really get into Krull. A member who rarely posts here these days was (still is?) a big Krull fan and has IIRC even has an original movie prop Glaive.

For me, Space Hunter is what it's all about - love that movie.

Graham

Hehehe... That movie rocked... I like it too a lot... ^_^

Btw... Somebody told me that Krull was named one of the worst "sci-fi" films ever by some mag or tv show... I think that's pretty stupid, since Krull is actually a fantasy film... :rolleyes:

Hold your horses! He's gotta do Space Hunter, Ator: the Fighting Eagle, and Yor: The Hunter of the Future first! :lol:

I recall watching Space Hunter and Yor several times as a kid. Actually, I've probably watched Space Hunter bits and pieces a bunch of times. Space Hunter was fun. Yor? Wow. A good really bad movie.

Back to the topic, Krull was great. Saw it a few years ago when we had some family over for a party. Fun movie. I'm still mad that the guy just left the boomerang in that thing's neck. It didn't look that stuck ;)

Krull is one of my childhood favorites, right up there with Bill and Ted, The Last Starfighter, the Star Trek films and Star Wars and Back to the Future trilogies, and the classic Disney films. Loved the Glaive, the music, and so on. It's tops on my list of "Why do I not own this film?"

So a new DVD is out? Sounds like they cut some of the extras from the old release.

**BAN RISK**

MEGAFORCE!!!!

"Deeds, not words!"

megaforce6.jpg

"Rockets! Motorcycles! Motorcycles firing rockets! Coolness!"

Nah, I enjoyed the novelisation of Krull (Alan Dean Foster, I think), but the movie was *missing* something. We need reviews of really good films like STARCRASH, BATTLE BEYOND THE STARS and FANTASTIC PLANET!!!!!

TAKSRAVEN

I watched this movie for the first time a few years back when a buddy said "Holy crap, I just found Krull on DVD!" "Really?" I asked, "Let's watch it" not admitting I had no idea what the hell he was talking about. Then we watched it... I got bored with it half way through and got so hammered I ended up hooking up with a horrendous looking girl at some point during the evening. About a year later the hideous girl introduced me to her gorgeous sister (seriously, it's like Arnie and Danny D from Twins). I thought I was getting places with the cute one when she pulled the "Wait, you don't think we're going to hook up do you? I can't hook up with a guy who hooked up with my sister" line. In short: watching Krull ruins your odds of sleeping with hot girls.

Oddly enough, I randomly kissed a girl a few months after being shot down by that cute sister during a Rambo commercial and have been dating her ever since. So, Rambo is the good in this world that cancels out the evil which is Krull.