Whats Lying on your Workbench MKIII

HWR MKII

REALLY AWESOME WORK!!! That thing needs a sound chip in it; "Autobots, transform and rool out - or I'll squash you because I'm so big!" :lol: - MT

Actually it does have sound chip inside.

I built in a voice recorder/speaker just below the chest. There is a button on top of the chest, and Optimus speaks out.

I can record whatever phrases I want; from the tv show or movies.

post-6518-1243269076_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1243269100_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1243269125_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1243269166_thumb.jpg

I built in a voice recorder/speaker just below the chest. There is a button on top of the chest, and Optimus speaks out.

this just gets better and better. inconceivable!

OK, the sound chip thang was a great idea Maiden Japan!

I took a couple days break from the Daedalus and worked on one of two 1/200 scale Harriers I bought from Helmet Models UK. You can see the difference in improving the details. The cleaned one has NO DETAILS or engraved panel lines yet. These are lead based models which meant I used LOTS of solder to add or fix areas. Clean up is a mess and hazardous!

post-2518-1243277544_thumb.jpg

With panel lines and details. Note the clear canopy (that still needs painted frames to look accurate. The cockpit was hollowed out and basic cockpit added.

post-2518-1243277724_thumb.jpg post-2518-1243277808_thumb.jpg

And yes, it comes with gear and ordinance! post-2518-1243277895_thumb.jpg. - MT

OK, the sound chip thang was a great idea Maiden Japan!

I took a couple days break from the Daedalus and worked on one of two 1/200 scale Harriers I bought from Helmet Models UK. You can see the difference in improving the details. The cleaned one has NO DETAILS or engraved panel lines yet. These are lead based models which meant I used LOTS of solder to add or fix areas. Clean up is a mess and hazardous!

post-2518-1243277544_thumb.jpg

With panel lines and details. Note the clear canopy (that still needs painted frames to look accurate. The cockpit was hollowed out and basic cockpit added.

post-2518-1243277724_thumb.jpg post-2518-1243277808_thumb.jpg

And yes, it comes with gear and ordinance! post-2518-1243277895_thumb.jpg. - MT

That's just Miclone crazy!! I love tiny stuff... way to go!! Microscopic insanity...

Maiden Excellent work. I am in awe of your work.

HWRII You know I love your work.

Mechtech Solder work on lead figures/ models is a hard thing. Get the temp too high and you have a pool of solder too low and it wont take. Then you gotta sand it down. Add to that 1/200 scale and you just raised the bar.

WOW just trawled though all 32 pages & you guys are GODS in modelling. Not really a transformer fan BUT damn if that Optimus Prime is the Greatest piece of modelling engineering skills i`ve seen. It Transforms as well,My God Maiden Japan You are a GOD.

AWESOME WORK!

inconceivable.jpg

That Optimus is the most epic thing I've seen in a long time (and I see some really crazy stuff on a given day).

Here is an update on my GM Spartan kitbash, took a two week break due to real life unavailability, but aiming to wrap this thing up by next weekend:

DSCF2087.jpg

DSCF2089.jpg

Edited by Ghost Train

Thanks guys! I finished the canopy frame, and flare/flare pod, the rest just needs painting whenever I get to it some day.post-2518-1243370285_thumb.jpg

Like EXO said, never get in a land war with China! (you know what I mean if you saw the movie).

The GM is coming along nicelyGhost Train. - MT

Got a few left over paint cans from ALSA corp that a friend gave me after using it on the wheels for his car. Its suppose to be the best chrome paint on the market short of actual chrome itself. He ordered something more like a pewter finish .... theres wasn't alot so I used it on a Halo 3 Spartan figure. The toy now looks like skynet made it!!! I wasn't sure to leave it as is or add some color here and there --which was my first intention, but I don't want to screw up since the paint is really expensive. Does anyone know of a free photoshop style program that I could use to edit the picture with a few different paint schemes?

post-586-1243640080_thumb.jpg

Got a few left over paint cans from ALSA corp that a friend gave me after using it on the wheels for his car. Its suppose to be the best chrome paint on the market short of actual chrome itself. He ordered something more like a pewter finish .... theres wasn't alot so I used it on a Halo 3 Spartan figure. The toy now looks like skynet made it!!! I wasn't sure to leave it as is or add some color here and there --which was my first intention, but I don't want to screw up since the paint is really expensive. Does anyone know of a free photoshop style program that I could use to edit the picture with a few different paint schemes?

This is John Connor. If you're listening to this... You are the resistance.

-Master Chief Petty Officer SPARTAN-117

(For those who don't get it, Master Chief from Halo's name is John)

Did I hear someone say Spartaaaa?

I just finished mine. The GM-Spartan that is :p. I call this the RGM-79S2 GM Spartan High Mobility Type. This is my first attempt at kitbashing - though admittedly it's really easy with Master Grade kits since they all share a lot of similar build features like the polycaps.

SpartaFinal1.jpg

SpartaFinal3.jpg

SpartaFinal2.jpg

Yep... the visor flips up and down.

Edited by Ghost Train

Sorry about the long absence. Work really got in the way of any new projects. :( But here's the newly finish ARII 1/160 Destroid Monster HWR-00-MK II.

Since this is an extremely rare kit, I took great care into building this and added Yellow Submarine ball joints at the hip in place of the standard bar hip joint. Custom decals and stickers were used along with some of the standard decals that came with the kit. The reason for using other decals is that the standard ones were a little too large and rough for the 1/160 scale size. Lots of sanding and putty were applied as this is a kit from the 80s with many ill fitting parts.

So here is the final product after two months of work.

post-7534-1243716603_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1243716617_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1243716679_thumb.jpegpost-7534-1243716687_thumb.jpeg

post-7534-1243716731_thumb.jpeg

Detail of the hip joint replacement.

post-7534-1243716795_thumb.jpeg

More photos in the Macross Model Gallery. ^_^

That's a great build Ron, I've been eye balling one myself but the prices I have seen so far keep me away from it. Can you tell me the dimensions of the completed kit at 1/160 scale?

It is approximately 10 inches (25cm) long, 6.5 inches (16cm) high and 6.5 inches (16cm) wide. Either way, it is pretty large for a Macross kit. I have seen the 1/160 kit go for about $65 to $140.

It is approximately 10 inches (25cm) long, 6.5 inches (16cm) high and 6.5 inches (16cm) wide. Either way, it is pretty large for a Macross kit. I have seen the 1/160 kit go for about $65 to $140.

That's actually pretty big, bigger then I thought it would be. I haven't seen any for $65, most I have seen have been going for $100+, if I ever see one at $65 I am snatching it up first chance I get. Thanks for the reply.

I have one of these that is already built from the 80's, back then they were about £10 in the local model shop.

Mine needs a bit of a remake and re-decaling, to get rid of 25 years of neglect. I may well do the ball joint thing too.

My only trouble may be the decals some of the white ones could be a pain to reproduce :)

Great build by the way, this is my favorite macross mech with the VF1.

I just got back from Botcon show and it was a blast!

Got autographs from peter Cullen, played Guitar Hero with Stan Bush singing next to me,

oh, and I met Solscud and he was little surprised to know who I am.

But the best of all I won the grand prize "The Best of Show" for my 24 inch Optimus Prime.

Well this project is all done now, I will start next project which I really don't know what.

May be 24 inch Starscream...or Macross II... we'll see.

post-6518-1243890401_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1243890425_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1243890442_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1243890491_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1243890517_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1243890549_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1243890580_thumb.jpg

Awesome work MJ! The whole project was an awesome execution from start to finish. The blue lights are a nice touch too! CONGRATULATIONS! - MT

Awesome work MJ! The whole project was an awesome execution from start to finish. The blue lights are a nice touch too! CONGRATULATIONS! - MT

Totally justified in your first place, it would have been a travesty not to get it.

Another year another missed BotCon....... One day I will get to one.

Sounds like you had fun though.

Come on all you scratch builders get building iconic 80's transforming mecha in 24 inch scale. :)

Thank you everyone. I truly enjoyed this project, and very happy to add a new prize to my collection.

I want to show you pictures of Optimus Prime before shadowing and weathering.

I actually had a very difficult decision if I should weather this or keep it clean and shiny for the contest.

But my goal was to make this a realistic look, so I decided to add weathering. What you guys think?

post-6518-1243961845_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1243961889_thumb.jpg

post-6518-1243961910_thumb.jpg

Thank you everyone. I truly enjoyed this project, and very happy to add a new prize to my collection.

I want to show you pictures of Optimus Prime before shadowing and weathering.

I actually had a very difficult decision if I should weather this or keep it clean and shiny for the contest.

But my goal was to make this a realistic look, so I decided to add weathering. What you guys think?

That looks incredible as you have it pictured. I think that people who haven't been following your build would be amazed if you showed a common object in the picture with the finished product to get a size of scale, that's such a fantastic piece, one of the best scratch builds I've seen on the internet.

Thanks for posting and sharing your build.