Whats Lying on your Workbench MKIII

HWR MKII

Well, this was my birthday present to myself---my first "real" model kit in over 12 yrs. The FineMolds 1:48 Scale X-Wing. I recently completed the Yamato 1:60 Fan Racer as a warm-up practice run, so now it's time for a real model. Last time I was building there wasn't this cool thing called the internet for help! :D I will try to post updates as I go, wanna take my time on this one as the weathering will make or break this kit....

post-11393-128360441471_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

Oh wow, that's a completely different kit. 1/72 scale too!

this is the kit available at starship modeler:

post-2535-128370517164_thumb.jpgpost-2535-128370524913_thumb.jpg

and this is the one I built from scratch:

post-2535-128370536297_thumb.jpgpost-2535-128370544722_thumb.jpgpost-2535-128370549638_thumb.jpgpost-2535-128370663637_thumb.jpg

The world needs more MG Rex kits :)

Edited by UN_MARINE

Well, this was my birthday present to myself---my first "real" model kit in over 12 yrs. The FineMolds 1:48 Scale X-Wing. I recently completed the Yamato 1:60 Fan Racer as a warm-up practice run, so now it's time for a real model. Last time I was building there wasn't this cool thing called the internet for help! :D I will try to post updates as I go, wanna take my time on this one as the weathering will make or break this kit....

I have an older Revell X-Wing that is pretty close to 1/48 scale. It is about 12.5 inches(31cm) from nose to tail booster. This X-wing is displayed above a 1/48 VF-1J which has a similar white with red trim color scheme.

Maybe Luke Skywalker will fit into the cockpit of a VF-1.

Edited by ron5864

Wow. That's tiny. And impressive!

I'm working on the Trumpeter 1:32 P-40. I saw a hobbycraft reboxing that came with the Flying Tigers decals, and I picked it up. Not correcting the cockpit, as it looks OK to me. Since I'm on vacation this week, I'm trying to get it done.

Yes, that's the 1/144 Falcon; it's only a tad larger than an A5 size paper. Perfect for limited display space, but with all the details. Fine Molds really set the mark for IP SF kits with this release.

(and I deliberately photographed it to look small, using a higher focal length)

WOW! That looks perfect! I love that tiny falcon.

Makes me want to look at my 1/72 FMMF now... oh, well, someday... What does the rear engines look like? I hate the curved plate with the squares cutouts in it, there must be a better looking engine detail.

Makes me want to look at my 1/72 FMMF now... oh, well, someday... What does the rear engines look like? I hate the curved plate with the squares cutouts in it, there must be a better looking engine detail.

I've built most of mine (only taken 2 years of off-and-on again motivation), but I don't think I will be putting in that square plate with the cut-out in it, it's quite awful. What engineer would put baffles right behind the engine anyway?

Here's a sample of my scratchbuild Taiidan Interceptor progress...

DSC06838.jpg

I think the engine detail is the same as on the large kit. I can take a picture of it tomorrow.

It's remarkable for 1/144 scale and you've done a superb job on it! I don't think it's got quite the level of detail of the 1/72 scale though.

I totally agree with PetarB, the square cutout baffles are just beyond me - I'll leave it out too whenever I get around to it, just a massing all the resin and PE upgrade parts for it in the meantime ;-)

Hey PetarB, when are you going to get back to the 1/72 scale Macross pilots and sculpt that Minmay in the back seat of the VT-1 with her helmet off for me? You did remember right?

A question: Has anybody tried using waterslide decals as paint masks? I'm working on an AVG Flying Tigers P-40, and the painting diagrams show that the green splotches on the wings have a circular cutout where the old RAF roundel used to be. I'm thinking of applying the RAF roundels, masking off the brown, and then spray the green on. When it has dried a bit, I'll peel off the decals with some tape.

I'm wondering if it's going to work perfectly, or am I just heading for a HUGE headache?

I'm wondering if it's going to work perfectly, or am I just heading for a HUGE headache?

I've never tried it but I'd be inclined to say huge headache. I just can't imagine getting the decal applied such that it won't fall off/fall apart while your painting, but still come off cleanly afterward without messing up the paint somehow.

I've never tried it but I'd be inclined to say huge headache. I just can't imagine getting the decal applied such that it won't fall off/fall apart while your painting, but still come off cleanly afterward without messing up the paint somehow.

I'm in the same boat as anime (never tried it) and I agree that it sounds like a headache. You might be better off applying the decal (if the size isn't too small or complex) to some tamiya tape then cut it out to make a mask.

Since I been recovering I had some time to do some custom 1s head with detail lens and removable visor. Also adjustable arms and new hands maybe for production soon still cleaning up some rough edges but here it goes. Sorry pics taken from my phone enjoy.

SD

post-3380-128462255667_thumb.jpg

post-3380-128462257645_thumb.jpg

Edited by SILVERDRAGON

I've been getting back into flying model rocketry this summer after about 30 years... I just finished this - a 17" rocket by Custom Rocket Company. Stock name is "Ion Pulsar", but I did this one up in darker colors. The rivets give it a really 'classic SciFi' look. I call it "Iron Horizon", and will probably fly it next month at the local rocketry group launch. Pretty good for cardboard, balsa, primer and putty I think. (Nosecone is plastic, though)

post-1561-128529852122_thumb.jpg

post-1561-128529874469_thumb.jpg

SilverDragon Nice to see your back. Your work looks great.

Nice to see all the activity on this thread, makes up for my lack of anything on my workbench, unless you count the massive house renovation I have on the go.

Edited by big F

That ship is awesome Petar! Your scratchbuild and sculpting skills amaze me and keep getting better. You have a great talent!

Acro Ray that rocket looks sweet as well. Very stylish and retro Sci-fi. I hope it holds up during the launches!

Thanks everyone for the filling this thread with great content.