Gundam Plamodel Thread III

I've been keeping an eye on that 1/48 Gundam. Pretty cool concept but the detailing is pretty bland, or course I guess that's to be expected at that price point. It would probably look great next to Yamato's Scopedog.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished my HGUC MS-06F2 Zaku F2 Zeon Version. Killer killer HGUC kit, I'm impressed with how far they've come even in recent releases. I believe my last HGUC was the MS-05L Zaku I Sniper and the F2 is crazy how much they've improved it. Extremely posable. I'm quite impressed.

Now I need to get the D-50C Loto set.

Just finished my HGUC MS-06F2 Zaku F2 Zeon Version. Killer killer HGUC kit, I'm impressed with how far they've come even in recent releases. I believe my last HGUC was the MS-05L Zaku I Sniper and the F2 is crazy how much they've improved it. Extremely posable. I'm quite impressed.

Now I need to get the D-50C Loto set.

I normally don't build HGUC anymore, but I got a steal on a set of Unicorns (Destroy and Unicorn mode) and was pretty impressed. Still prefer PG's though, although I hope the PG 00 Raiser isn't a sign of things to come. Not bad, but disappointing for what it was, and more importantly disappointing for the price.

I normally don't build HGUC anymore, but I got a steal on a set of Unicorns (Destroy and Unicorn mode) and was pretty impressed. Still prefer PG's though, although I hope the PG 00 Raiser isn't a sign of things to come. Not bad, but disappointing for what it was, and more importantly disappointing for the price.

Normally I stick to the MGs but I like HGUCs because they are quick and fun to play around with, more like action figures than the MGs. They also have more of the "unusual" models that I like. I have yet to do a PG unfortunately, I've always wanted to but never got around to it.

Edited by Vostok 7

I don't know, I'm disappointed with the two new plamo lines Bandai's released lately.

1/48 has poor articulation for kit that size. And no, you do not need an inner frame to make it more pose-able.

Double jointed knees and elbows should standard for something this big.

Real Grade annoys me that it's 1/144 scale.

If they packed the simplicity of HG, articulation of MG and detail of PG into 1/72 scale subjects it would have been so much better.

1/48 looks disappointing. Looks are good, seems to improve on the original RX-78's lack of fine details. The hands bug me, I'd rather have had posable fingers. Maybe I'll pick one up eventually, but it's not high on my list.

On another subject: Anyone ever figure out how to get a 1/60's fingers to stay in the ball socket? I have a PG with a left ringfinger that keeps popping out. It's tolerable, but annoying.

1/48 looks disappointing. Looks are good, seems to improve on the original RX-78's lack of fine details. The hands bug me, I'd rather have had posable fingers. Maybe I'll pick one up eventually, but it's not high on my list.

On another subject: Anyone ever figure out how to get a 1/60's fingers to stay in the ball socket? I have a PG with a left ringfinger that keeps popping out. It's tolerable, but annoying.

I usually just apply some Tamiya Extra Thin Cement, clear lacquer, or superglue when something is loose on a gunpla.

Edited by Vifam7

MG and PG overall has served me well and I will continue only with those lines. Everything else is a poor facsimile

On another note.

I flat coat my first gundams and really... wow. Makes a big difference

However I have read that its best to seal in paint detailing, Decals be it stickers, water slides, or Pressure Decals, with the former are the worst for setting no matter how you follow the instructions with a clear gloss 2 coat procedure and then a flat coat. My Test will continue the WIP Kotobukiya Telus unit. I also tried Mark Setter/Softer on stickers which blends in ok but you can still see sticker outline. While on Water Slides works great and really seals it in without damaging the plastic as the Nail polish did. I m not sure you can see it with the pics but the body and legs of the Telus unit are flat coated while the shoulders and arms are not. Now i read that flat coating bleeds the Panel Lining, mine did not. The OofO is detail painting, Clear gloss, decal and panel Lining, second clear gloss, then a flat coat. The flat coat makes the model look almost professional and the panel lining is beautiful

PS I wore a Filter mask used for taping and sanding and did it outside and still found my self choking on the aerosol particles, next investment will be a hobby painting fan

regards

DSC03884.jpg

DSC03885.jpg

DSC03882.jpg

DSC03880.jpg

DSC03879.jpg

DSC03878.jpg

DSC03875.jpg

DSC03873.jpg

looking at the pictures I dont know how to capture and show you how great flat coating gundams and other models looks.

But its something I can recommend someone considering becoming a gunpla pro

I've been retired from Gunpla collecting for nearly a decade, so over the weekend, I decided to go to my local hobby store and check out all the MG kits, only to see at least 7-8 variants of the RX-78-2 alone. So I have to ask: which is the absolute definitive version of the MG RX-78-2 Gundam?

I took a look at the page and noticed that both 2.0 and One Year War (OYW) versions have nearly the exact same articulation. Does the OYW version have any drawbacks that would favor the 2.0?

From what i can tell, the OYW has better proportions than the 2.0 but the legs uses the old 1.5 inner frame.

It also doesn't have a Core Fighter or the new double jointed fingers.

I suppose the 2.0 comes off as superior because of its inner frame & extra accessories, but the armor is "cartoony". It's strange that they pushed for the super real inner frame, then used the animation style armor. Not as imposing as the OYW.

I think the "perfect" MG RX-78 might be a combination of the 2.0's inner frame & the OYW's armor.

From what i can tell, the OYW has better proportions than the 2.0 but the legs uses the old 1.5 inner frame.

It also doesn't have a Core Fighter or the new double jointed fingers.

I suppose the 2.0 comes off as superior because of its inner frame & extra accessories, but the armor is "cartoony". It's strange that they pushed for the super real inner frame, then used the animation style armor. Not as imposing as the OYW.

I think the "perfect" MG RX-78 might be a combination of the 2.0's inner frame & the OYW's armor.

I understand that most Gundam fans make a big deal about the Core Fighter, but personally, I wouldn't care. I'm more inclined toward the overall detail and poseability. The 2.0 has mad articulation, but its cartoonish armor design is an acquired taste, and it somewhat clashes with the other MG kits.

I'm near complete on my MG Ver2.0 RX-78. Need to do the weapons and shield. Painted the chest to a more darker subdued blue. I just didn't like that turquoise blue color of the plastic even though it's anime accurate. :p

I have to say, this was a rather difficult build. I made a few of mistakes along the way and had to make repairs. I still can't seem to close the front hatch fully. :(

IMG_1172.jpg

I understand that most Gundam fans make a big deal about the Core Fighter, but personally, I wouldn't care. I'm more inclined toward the overall detail and poseability. The 2.0 has mad articulation, but its cartoonish armor design is an acquired taste, and it somewhat clashes with the other MG kits.

Since the core fighter isn't a factor, I would definitely recommend the OYW over the 2.0.

The only nitpick i have about the OYW is the lack of articulation in the thighs. You can only rotate the legs outward as far as the hip ball joints will allow. Some additional rotation would've been a big plus.

Gundam Store and More sells parts.

Not anymore. Their Webmail seems to be down for a long time. I have wrote to them repeatedly with no response. Their parts ordering system is odd. I even tried calling them and the phone is disconnected. HLJ is your best place for Parts.

As for RX-78-2 Version 2 is best for an MG model. If you want Aesthetics go with the GFFMC version Ka.

great lines

Time for some Q&A:

What was your very first Gundam model kit?

Back when I was in high school in 1993, I went into a toy store and saw that they had some dusty Gundam kit boxes on a shelf. I didn't know what a Gundam was at the time, but I thought they looked cool; so I picked up a 1/144 HG Zeta Gundam for roughly US$6. In retrospect, the kit is flawed for having inaccurate wing designs (as they were based on the ZetaPlus kit from Gundam Sentinel), but it got me hooked on Gunpla for the rest of the 1990s.

Other than that, these are the Gundam kits I've owned in the past:

1/100

RX-178 Gundam Mk. II (non-MG)*

RX-93 Nu-Gundam (non-MG)

HG Victory Gundam

HG Victory-2 Gundam

HG Wing Gundam Zero

HG Gundam Epyon

HG Gundam Deathscythe Hell Custom

HG Gundam Heavyarms Custom

MG RX-78-2 Gundam Special Coating Edition

MG MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam Special Coating Edition

MG RX-78 GP01 Gundam GP01

MG RX-78 GP01Fb Gundam GP01 Full Burner

MG RX-78 GP03S Gundam GP03S

1/144

MS-06S Char's Zaku II (non-HGUC)*

Core Fighter & Core Booster set*

MSA-005 Methuss (non-HGUC)*

RMS-106 HiZack (non-HGUC)

RGM-79R GM II (non-HGUC)

RX-93 Nu-Gundam (non-HGUC, without Fin Funnels)

RX-78 NT1 Gundam NT1 (non-HGUC)

MS-14J Gelgoog Jaeger (non-HGUC)

HG RX-78-2 Gundam

HG MSZ-006 Zeta Gundam

RX-78 GP01 Gundam GP01 (non-HGUC)*

RX-78 GP02A Gundam GP02A (non-HGUC)*

RX-78 GP03S Gundam GP03S (non-HGUC)

Gun Blastor

Shining Gundam

Wing Gundam

1/550

RX-78 GP03 Gundam GP03 Dendrobium

(*Do not buy these kits if you see them. They are absolute crap!)

Edited by areaseven

Time for some Q&A:

What was your very first Gundam model kit?

I want to say both the old 1/144 GM Command kits from 1994(?), my memory is a little fuzzy and I've since got rid of every model exlcuding my MG Ez8 and GM custom. The command kits were pretty terrible even at the time IMO but it's not like there was a huge selection at my local hobby shops to choose from anyway. What I am sure of is that I really loved the utilitarian features of the general designs.

I want to say both the old 1/144 GM Command kits from 1994(?), my memory is a little fuzzy and I've since got rid of every model excluding my MG Ez8 and GM custom. The command kits were pretty terrible even at the time IMO but it's not like there was a huge selection at my local hobby shops to choose from anyway. What I am sure of is that I really loved the utilitarian features of the general designs.

You mean the ones from the 0080 series? I almost bought one of those, but went with the Gelgoog-J instead.

Yeah, the ones from 0080. I eventually got a Rick Dom II later as well. Of course now new HGs are like older MG quality so I'm sure I'd be more impressed by current releases. Still loved most the basic look/feel of the designs though.