Gundam Plamodel Thread III

That is actually a great idea! Getter-1 combined with the O Raiser....good thinking! But to waste the Fastpack?...hmm...

But seriously - this is a great idea! Thanks!

Pete

wondering if he has the skill to pursue this custom...

If you mean the Bandai Chogokin Gundam (GA-100?), like 50 bucks... eventually I'd like to get the GM and Zaku... they seem pretty sweet.

It's a 1/144 "20th Anniversary" Gundam. It says "GD-16" on it. It is pretty sweet; has a lot of accessories & it's highly articulated (it's no revoltech, but it's nice.) Even has a bit of diecast in it, too.

just some i decided to build

I really like what they did with the MG wing. I like the wing mechanism more on the MG then the PG (actually doesnt have it all so there is nothing to like on it). It seems they did a much better job on the MG than did on the PG

DSC03750.jpg

DSC03753.jpg

DSC03747.jpg

Yep. That seems to be the general consensus on Wing Zero custom MG - that it's better than the PG.

I sold mine - but it was crap anyways. The Wing Zero MG was the first gundam I ever built in my whole life. I broke the yellow crown taking it off the sprue. I also think I assembled something wrong on it - or maybe not... but I didn't panel line it, didn't put the markings on... it was so....well...not well done :)

This is one I must reacquire and build, along with the Wing KA.

I remember watching Endless Waltz on Anime night or whatever the hell cartoon network had running at night when I was in college. We would also watch Tenchi Muyo which was fun.

Pete

Yep. That seems to be the general consensus on Wing Zero custom MG - that it's better than the PG.

I sold mine - but it was crap anyways. The Wing Zero MG was the first gundam I ever built in my whole life. I broke the yellow crown taking it off the sprue. I also think I assembled something wrong on it - or maybe not... but I didn't panel line it, didn't put the markings on... it was so....well...not well done :)

This is one I must reacquire and build, along with the Wing KA.

I remember watching Endless Waltz on Anime night or whatever the hell cartoon network had running at night when I was in college. We would also watch Tenchi Muyo which was fun.

Pete

I remember when i attempted my first kit the shenlong gundam which was a no grade and i snapped all kinds of pieces. Now knowing the difference between grading and choosing only MG

i take care and attention when building. As for the ka. I just ordered that one. I like the design but was weary of ka kits after the disaster known as unicorn, but viewing the reviews and using dalongs as a benchmark to decide to purchase it i think this kit will be nice

I remember when i attempted my first kit the shenlong gundam which was a no grade and i snapped all kinds of pieces. Now knowing the difference between grading and choosing only MG

i take care and attention when building. As for the ka. I just ordered that one. I like the design but was weary of ka kits after the disaster known as unicorn, but viewing the reviews and using dalongs as a benchmark to decide to purchase it i think this kit will be nice

What's so bad about the Unicorn? I built it about a week ago and didn't have any issues with it, though I haven't tried transforming it yet...

I'm building the Astray at the moment, which I'm finding to be very tedious due to the dumb way Bandai has used to attach many of the parts to the sprue :angry:

What's a good PG to get? Was looking at the 00 but the general consensus here seems to be that its not so great...

Over at Ngee Khiong there is a preview image of MG Unicorn Gundam OVA Ver.

and immediately this caught my eye...

post-4055-1262799494_thumb.jpg

Apart from that, there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference, maybe the V-crest looks slightly different.

Over at Ngee Khiong there is a preview image of MG Unicorn Gundam OVA Ver.

and immediately this caught my eye...

post-4055-1262799494_thumb.jpg

Apart from that, there doesn't seem to be that much of a difference, maybe the V-crest looks slightly different.

its hard to tell. What are you trying to point out. A crack in the plastic?

Explain

What I wanted to point out was that Bandai changed the leg armor to allow for better knee articulation.

This was originally one of the biggest complaints about Unicorn Gundam.

Anyway Ngee Khiong updated his post with the following info:

* New color for the body

* New design elements incorporated, including the Vulcans on the head.

* Improved joints for the waist and leg - waist can rotate for 360 degrees, leg's movable range upgraded by 150 percent.

* New customized cage (? - 専用ケージ) included. Extra parts can be stored in the cage. The beam saber can be stored at the back of the base.

Can combine with Action Display Base 1, all arms are movable. (Something like the factory container as seen in PG GP01/Fb I think)

* 3 figures in 1/100 scale included: Banagher Links, Audrey Burns, and Marida Cruz

* 3 types of antenna included: transformable, opened and closed types

* Weapons: Beam Magnum, Hyper Bazooka, shield, beam saber (didn't say anything about the double beam Gatling)

* 25 runners in total. Foil sticker, clear sticker and dry transfer decal included.

What I wanted to point out was that Bandai changed the leg armor to allow for better knee articulation.

This was originally one of the biggest complaints about Unicorn Gundam.

Anyway Ngee Khiong updated his post with the following info:

* New color for the body

* New design elements incorporated, including the Vulcans on the head.

* Improved joints for the waist and leg - waist can rotate for 360 degrees, leg's movable range upgraded by 150 percent.

* New customized cage (? - 専用ケージ) included. Extra parts can be stored in the cage. The beam saber can be stored at the back of the base.

Can combine with Action Display Base 1, all arms are movable. (Something like the factory container as seen in PG GP01/Fb I think)

* 3 figures in 1/100 scale included: Banagher Links, Audrey Burns, and Marida Cruz

* 3 types of antenna included: transformable, opened and closed types

* Weapons: Beam Magnum, Hyper Bazooka, shield, beam saber (didn't say anything about the double beam Gatling)

* 25 runners in total. Foil sticker, clear sticker and dry transfer decal included.

Nice! If thats the case which was a problem for me for an MG it was a stiff hero gundam. Overall it may be a better buy in this case than the GFFMC if it has no articulation. Will wait for VFTF-Pete to buy it and review it. Thanks for the info!!!!!!

On a side note. I wanted something to protect the dry on sticker on my gundam models. I used to use nailpolish but that is way to strong for the dry stickers. I was at the hobby shop the other day and they have glossy or matt clear coat spray. Since i only detail paint my gundams as I like the factory paint rather the usual mat finish a lot of gunpla fans like. Which one do I use on unpainted gundams???

On a side note. I wanted something to protect the dry on sticker on my gundam models. I used to use nailpolish but that is way to strong for the dry stickers. I was at the hobby shop the other day and they have glossy or matt clear coat spray. Since i only detail paint my gundams as I like the factory paint rather the usual mat finish a lot of gunpla fans like. Which one do I use on unpainted gundams???

Use the matt clear coat spray. For those of us who do not do full paint jobs on gunpla, matt coat or clear flat spray is our big cheat. :) Testor's Dullcote, Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear, or Gunze's Top Coat will all do the job. I personally like Tamiya's TS-80. Keep in mind, it's a matt finish clear coat, so once sprayed on, the shiny factory plastic color will be dulled down. But that's what makes the model look so much better IMO. Make sure to spray the entire model (save the clear parts area). Otherwise some areas will be shiny and other areas won't.

Now if you want to keep the factory plastic as is as much as possible and JUST want to protect the decal (ie. not spray the whole model), I guess what you could do is get semi-gloss coating in a bottle and simply brush it lightly onto the decal.

Will wait for VFTF-Pete to buy it and review it.

It's not gonna be much of a review! :)

All it'll say is one of the following:

1) STUPIDF#%%CKINGBANDAICAN'TFU#%@MAKEUNICORNLEGBENDGRRBLLGRRR!!!

or

2) Everything that was ever perfect about the Unicorn ver KA + excellent poseability at the knees! Recomended.

That said...

I personally still think the best Unicorn Gundam is the Titanium version that I have. That shining metalic glow is AWESOME!!

You haven't built Unicorn or enjoyed it unless it's titanium Unicorn :)

Besides - then regular Unicorn's inner frame bends his knees just fine... it truly is just a matter of the armor platting inhibiting the joint.

In fact - if you have enough experience as a modeler - I'm sure you can save yourself some money and just carve away some of the leg armor to free up the knee joint.

Pete

Well, y'know, nothing you're asking is exactly new information. Use google and check out other places and you'll find tons of resources about the exact thing you want to do.

sure but i prefer to hear it from folks here if i have your permission to do that......i know eugimon also paints his kits and with so many different view points i want to make sure i dont destroy a 300 model kt

It's not gonna be much of a review! :)

All it'll say is one of the following:

1) STUPIDF#%%CKINGBANDAICAN'TFU#%@MAKEUNICORNLEGBENDGRRBLLGRRR!!!

or

2) Everything that was ever perfect about the Unicorn ver KA + excellent poseability at the knees! Recomended.

That said...

I personally still think the best Unicorn Gundam is the Titanium version that I have. That shining metalic glow is AWESOME!!

You haven't built Unicorn or enjoyed it unless it's titanium Unicorn :)

Besides - then regular Unicorn's inner frame bends his knees just fine... it truly is just a matter of the armor platting inhibiting the joint.

In fact - if you have enough experience as a modeler - I'm sure you can save yourself some money and just carve away some of the leg armor to free up the knee joint.

Pete

Don't the sprue marks on the titanium version look horrible? I can't imagine there would be a way to fix them either.

Edit: My judgement is made from pics seen on dalong.net.

Edited by protostar8

sure but i prefer to hear it from folks here if i have your permission to do that......i know eugimon also paints his kits and with so many different view points i want to make sure i dont destroy a 300 model kt

Destroy a 300 dollar model kit with paint?! How? If you mess up, Pine Sol is your friend. I do it all the time. Just drop them in a bucket and let them soak a couple of days, paint comes right off.

Destroy a 300 dollar model kit with paint?! How? If you mess up, Pine Sol is your friend. I do it all the time. Just drop them in a bucket and let them soak a couple of days, paint comes right off.

This is part of the reason why I use Tamiya paints. Sure, they're not as durable as other types of paint, but if you screw up, just dunk the parts in windex, and come back in about 15 minutes. Just a little light scrubbing with an old toothbrush, and a rinse, and you're back to a nice clean piece of plastic.

Don't the sprue marks on the titanium version look horrible?

No.

2luz6zq.jpg

213jehf.jpg

Meanwhile - I now have clarity as to what Gundam I'll be building next! :)

For my next project - Hi Nu Gundam

followed by Guntank

and Victory Gundam.

But starting with Hi Nu, which I've had my eye on for quite a time!

Pete

Wow! The 1/48 Gundam looks awesome. Hopefully it's not absurdly expensive because it doesn't have a real internal frame.

?????? ITS HOLLOW. And has the flexibility of a regular 1/60. The 1/60 pictured here looks better. Im not sure what that is but it seems a revisit of a PG V2.0

Thanks for the tips.

I was kind of dissapointed about the V-fin not being able to really stay aligned when transformed to Unicorn horn... and I guess now with your warning I'll just stop transforming it all together.

Although technically, constant removal of the horn and replacement with the V-fin is bound to wear something or other out :( ...

I generally get the feeling that the transformation to Psycho mode is very smooth. I've finished everything except the legs, backpack and weapons now and transformed the uper body, arms and head to get a feel for it.

At first, it kind of annoyed me that you have to seperate all of the parts to transform him - but then, I guess it makes sense and it's better than the Gundam falling apart when you start to transform it...

Personally, I prefer it in white Unicorn mode. It reminds me a little bit of the YF-19, but also has a distinct EVA-01 feel to it - and even the "psycho" mode feels EVA-01... after all, EVA also had a "psychotic" mode of sorts....

All in all, this is my fourth MG Gundam and I'm enjoying it like the rest.

The one thing that kind of annoys me is that my Turn-A-Gundam is fairly loose - it holds its' poses, but the shield is too heavy for the arm and so that kind of limits the kind of poses I can put him in... a pity, since Turn A is probably my favorite Gundam design next to Unicorn.

Crossbone I like just because he's a pirate, but really he's pretty mundane. Wing Zero is also mundane; but I like his...err...well wings :)

But only Turn-A and Unicorn have designs which I can appreciate in their totality.

I'm considering whether to build the Force Impulse Gundam next - all those nifty jet/aircraft/space ship modes look tempting, but he is also kind of one of these "UBER FIRE SUPER POWER UP BANG BOOM" Gundams which I get the feeling dominate Seed and which I'm not too fond of...

Zeta version 2 is also tempting me - but... I dunno... generally I'm more drawn to the really unorthodox Gundams; I like them to really stand out and stand apart from the rest... Turn A and Psycho Unicorn do this.

EDIT: Finished everything but the gun and bazooka. Happy with him:

2nuhlpt.jpg

6qy8mx.jpg

Pete

Hmm looks like the Wing MG Custom doesnt look to bad. .....if you panel lined it and added the stickers it you would be perfect. BTW the Pirate one. Is it any good

Hmm looks like the Wing MG Custom doesnt look to bad. .....if you panel lined it and added the stickers it you would be perfect. BTW the Pirate one. Is it any good

crossbone was one of my favorite mg's, get the cloth version though.