Gundam Plamodel Thread III

The only problem is just how to do that.

Well that's actually pretty easy given that the proto-velocity level at G3 thrust is within the range of proportional oscilatory sequencing (POS). All they'd really need to do given all of this is use a tampon and three pairs of nike sweat socks to create a gravitational intertialization mechanism. It's child's play when you think about it.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Well that's actually pretty easy given that the proto-velocity level at G3 thrust is within the range of proportional oscilatory sequencing (POS). All they'd really need to do given all of this is use a tampon and three pairs of nike sweat socks to create a gravitational intertialization mechanism. It's child's play when you think about it.

Pete

Oh, ok. That makes perfect sense. :blink:

Hey - tech commentary is what I live for ;)

Anyways...I've ultimately decided I'm not going to build the Blue Frame Astray MG. In the words of that Italian dude from that movie with that babe who goes to live in Tuscony..."That's nice."

And yes, it is nice. But it's just not for me. Ultimately, I'm just not into the wierd proportions. Was very tempted...maybe I'm making a mistake? Maybe I'll build it a few months from now...beats me...

I'm so indecisive :o

Pete

That's not a good sign, hope the cracking ends there!!

Not quite, some of the C-clamps cracked as well. One of them hold the rear knee plate and I actually had to drill the clamp and use a thin wire to wrap pin to the clamp to hold it together. :ph34r:

I can't help but feel that Bandai has really lost a step or two.

Cracking plastic on a Perfect Grade Gundam?? :o

Sad...

I think they rushed it.

Look - I know it's been like 5 years or more since the last PG - but when did the OO Raiser design come out? It's pretty recent.... so you gotta figure that they spent only a year doing this glorified 1/60 NG ...which is what it looks and sounds like.

Pete

Not quite, some of the C-clamps cracked as well. One of them hold the rear knee plate and I actually had to drill the clamp and use a thin wire to wrap pin to the clamp to hold it together. :ph34r:

I can't help but feel that Bandai has really lost a step or two.

WOW....unbelievable. So whats your rating on this.

I havent had any cracks yet... keeps fingers crossed or any other problems outside of it not be able to stand even bare bones!

The only mod I had to do is Crazy Glue the Data band cover to the should ball joint as the tension from the data band would pop off the piece that held it in place.

The other thing that worries me is the posing. You have to remember to use the clutch system otherwise you may break the clutch teeth inside and it wont pose anymore. it will be a raggedy ann puppet. Right now i may have to nailpolish the wrist because it cant hold the gun/sword upright. It either just pops out of the wrist or the wrist starts to sag and the sword falls out of his hand. But as the gun its pretty secure because the is a latch to attach to the forearm

Good thing we have this thread and website to stop shi t like this from selling until the arseholes that rushed this thing through fix it for other peole

Cracking plastic on a Perfect Grade Gundam?? :o

Sad...

I think they rushed it.

Look - I know it's been like 5 years or more since the last PG - but when did the OO Raiser design come out? It's pretty recent.... so you gotta figure that they spent only a year doing this glorified 1/60 NG ...which is what it looks and sounds like.

Pete

I have never regretted a PG purchase. Not until now or least the price that I purchased it for. I fell into the ooooooh aaaaah of it all and I should have been more patient. I would have more acceptance for its faults if it was a lower price point. Much lower. Maybe they should have sold it under the 1/60 HY2M line and worked on making it more sturdy and better built for the PG line.

That said my build is rather slow for the PG GP01 which in comparison is way beyond the 00

Too bad really. This has left a sour taste with me and the next PG will be a very long deliberation before i buy

Edited by nugundamII

WOW....unbelievable. So whats your rating on this.

I havent had any cracks yet... keeps fingers crossed or any other problems outside of it not be able to stand even bare bones!

The only mod I had to do is Crazy Glue the Data band cover to the should ball joint as the tension from the data band would pop off the piece that held it in place.

The other thing that worries me is the posing. You have to remember to use the clutch system otherwise you may break the clutch teeth inside and it wont pose anymore. it will be a raggedy ann puppet. Right now i may have to nailpolish the wrist because it cant hold the gun/sword upright. It either just pops out of the wrist or the wrist starts to sag and the sword falls out of his hand. But as the gun its pretty secure because the is a latch to attach to the forearm

Good thing we have this thread and website to stop shi t like this from selling until the arseholes that rushed this thing through fix it for other peole

Yeah, the shoulder data band cover is a lame design. The shoulder armor actually hits the edge of it so when you lift up the shoulder armor to get to the lock there's a good chance you'll pop that little cover off too. And I don't mind the other locks, but the shoulder lock sucks. Having to move the drives out of the way and then swing the shoulder around just to pose it is a stupid design decision. And why are some locks on the outside and some on the inside, it's just needlessly confusing. I agree about the locks in general. If they were going to do that they should have made the teeth of metal instead of this ridiculously brittle plastic. Speaking of metal, I wish the center body ring were metal too, it's the least they could have done after going CHEAP and using plastic instead of metal for the hip joints.

I sent HLJ a parts request for the hand runner, hopefully they can fill it for me, otherwise I'm going to have to ask my friend in tokyo to check out that one store and see if there's parts there. It really doesn't matter to me that the detailing isn't right, I'll take the Strike hand over the 00 hand.

I like the kit, only because I like the way the naked 00 looks but I'm not thrilled with how feature poor the suit is and the overall quality and materials choices of the kit.

Well, finished the suit, haven't done Raiser or the weapons yet though

_DSC0537.jpg

still needs some touch up painting and to be finished up though

did you paint yours or is that how the blue really looks in person? (that looks damn good by the way, I wish I still had the money to buy this one)

did you paint yours or is that how the blue really looks in person? (that looks damn good by the way, I wish I still had the money to buy this one)

Thanks!

I repainted it... I toned the color scheme down, navy blue with "racing blue" for the accents and light grey for the white.

Did you over do the clear coat because I can see a lot of white flakes on the blue of the 00's chest. Otherwise, looks good so far.

actually that's just the way "racing blue" looks, has little sparkley bits in the paint. but yeah, I need to redo some stuff like the red on the waist and the clear coat it.

1/48 scale RX-78 Gundam kit.

4213751632_47ec62e512_o.jpg

Dear Bandai:

Why do you make a 1/48 scale kit with 1/144 scale hands?

To answer my own question - I expect that the gun and beam weapons are too heavy at this scale and therefore the Gundam needs closed fists with no poseable fingers for stuff not to fall out. I expect he also will have hands with poseable digits. Would be shocked if he did not.

Still - the more 1/60 and 1/48 stuff I see from Bandai, the more I think that nothing can surpass the Mastergrade line which is just the right scale for everything (or so it seems).

Pete

Dear Bandai:

Why do you make a 1/48 scale kit with 1/144 scale hands?

To answer my own question - I expect that the gun and beam weapons are too heavy at this scale and therefore the Gundam needs closed fists with no poseable fingers for stuff not to fall out. I expect he also will have hands with poseable digits. Would be shocked if he did not.

Still - the more 1/60 and 1/48 stuff I see from Bandai, the more I think that nothing can surpass the Mastergrade line which is just the right scale for everything (or so it seems).

Pete

To be affordable.

Does anybody own the 1/400 White Base and can anybody vouch for it being the best thing in the universe?

Pete

I own one. Actually, I stole it off ebay for 95 USD + 15 for shipping. Not a bad deal.

Now, is it the best thing in the universe? Absolutely not. It's massive, yes. It has cool features, yes. But it's really nothing to write home about. If I had to choose between the 1/144 Dendrobium or the White base, I'd take the Dendrobium any day. The figures are really lame too. Warping gunbarrels, poorly detailed. As a matter of fact, for being as big as it is, the details on WB aren't that impressive either. Basically, it's an attention getter, that's about it. You're money would be spent better elsewhere, I wouldn't pay more than 100-120 USD for one now though. I almost wish they'd redo one in 1/200 scale for the HCM pro line. Now that would be the best thing in the universe!

actually that's just the way "racing blue" looks, has little sparkley bits in the paint. but yeah, I need to redo some stuff like the red on the waist and the clear coat it.

Hey man, can you post some pics of the defects on 00? I'd like to see if there are any preventative measures I can take to avoid any problems.

Hey man, can you post some pics of the defects on 00? I'd like to see if there are any preventative measures I can take to avoid any problems.

Just watch out for the 'c' clips and the hand assembly. The digits snap into each other and then the upper part of the palm that takes the ball joint of the fingers. The plastic is brittle (at least on my copy) and cracks easily.

Both c clips on the rear knee armor failed and the armor pops off when using the upper knee joint (the one with the ratchet). The ratchet has also failed after time as well... still enough tension to hold a pose thanks to insert but it no longer makes the "tack,tack,tack" sound.

The ratchet is DESIGNED to fail BTW. The teeth and the ratchet are the same material and the ratchet isn't spring mounted. So you're just dragging the teeth against an equally hard piece of plastic. Eventually they'll just wear each other out.

Edited by eugimon

Just watch out for the 'c' clips and the hand assembly. The digits snap into each other and then the upper part of the palm that takes the ball joint of the fingers. The plastic is brittle (at least on my copy) and cracks easily.

Both c clips on the rear knee armor failed and the armor pops off when using the upper knee joint (the one with the ratchet). The ratchet has also failed after time as well... still enough tension to hold a pose thanks to insert but it no longer makes the "tack,tack,tack" sound.

The ratchet is DESIGNED to fail BTW. The teeth and the ratchet are the same material and the ratchet isn't spring mounted. So you're just dragging the teeth against an equally hard piece of plastic. Eventually they'll just wear each other out.

i second that. although i already figured this out during assembly which is why i havent posed it. when the stand arrives it will just sit on the stand in one pose of my choosing and never again will i touch it. sad really. and there is no real mod you can do the ratchet ie add a coating of nail polish or paint cause that particular plastic will crack and crumple faster. the only thing i can think of to increase the hardiness of the ratchet teeth is add ball bearing grease. enough to not add so much stress yet still retain the tack tack tack foundation.

boy i just finished the pg gp01 monster. took me 3 days total. i must say next to the mkII the rx-78 and wing its my favorite. i was looking at my pg zeta and mg v2 zeta and the pg zeta is just too fat looking :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I own one. Actually, I stole it off ebay for 95 USD + 15 for shipping. Not a bad deal.

Now, is it the best thing in the universe? Absolutely not. It's massive, yes. It has cool features, yes. But it's really nothing to write home about. If I had to choose between the 1/144 Dendrobium or the White base, I'd take the Dendrobium any day. The figures are really lame too. Warping gunbarrels, poorly detailed. As a matter of fact, for being as big as it is, the details on WB aren't that impressive either. Basically, it's an attention getter, that's about it. You're money would be spent better elsewhere, I wouldn't pay more than 100-120 USD for one now though. I almost wish they'd redo one in 1/200 scale for the HCM pro line. Now that would be the best thing in the universe!

Thaks for sounding off. Permit me to nitpick a bit if you don't have any pictures....

When you say that you'd take the 1/144 Dendrobium any day...is that because it's a better kit...or because you don't like the White Base itself as a design?

Sad to hear about unimpressive details...

Oh well...

I generally really like the White Base and what with how important a role it played in what appears to be the only Gundam show I actually like (MSG)...I figure I should have one...

What about the Bandai reissue 1/2000 kits? Are those hopeless?

Pete

Thaks for sounding off. Permit me to nitpick a bit if you don't have any pictures....

When you say that you'd take the 1/144 Dendrobium any day...is that because it's a better kit...or because you don't like the White Base itself as a design?

Oh well...

I generally really like the White Base and what with how important a role it played in what appears to be the only Gundam show I actually like (MSG)...I figure I should have one...

Pete

Couldn't tell you about the 1/2000 kits, but the Seed EX kits of Archangel, Minerva and Argama are awesome.

Dendrobuim is a total MUST own for a Gunpla builder. 3 feet long, massive, and really, really good details. Fits in nicely with the Fix Fig Deep striker and Stamen also. And it breaks the tediousness of building just a MS.

All in all, if your a big MSG fan, and love WB, then by all means get the 1/400. Just don't pay an insane price for it, because it's not worth it.

Oh well...

Pete

Double post.

Edited by Excillon

Oh - don't worry :) I'm not fishing for an excuse to get it if it's not worth it... I usually don't care about prices when I like something. I just want it. But first I need to really really like it...

I would love a White Base - but I don't want a crappy one. Maybe Bandai will make a better one?

I was hoping for a White Base that had the detail and scope of some of the Yamato (ships, not company) models that have come out recently...

Pete

I think I have BWS...

[Editor: BWS - Build Withdrawl Syndrome]

My hands are shaking...I hunger for polycaps, innner frames, and other forms of technological sophistication...

But I have NOTHING to build!!

the horror.

the horror.

All I have is a 1/72 scale Superpack VF-25F Alto custom with a screwed up panel lining job on the nose fusealage and three lost shoulder parts...

but...

according to the laws of Universal Causation SINCE three months ago I searched in vein for those shoulder parts and couldn't find them THEREFORE if I open the box TODAY and take everything out...

they will be there.

they must!

And then...then I'll have something to build!!

I did a great job on his head...

too bad I put the rest of the Sheryl Nome decals on my DX (they do look good on him)...

Now I'm gonna have to strip the decals that I did put onto the 1/72 and replace them with "normal color" decals...

IF I can find those three shoulder pieces.

'cause if I can't...then...then... thee's no point in living.

Dare I risk the dissillusionment of opening the box and discovering that they are STILL lost?

Hmm...

Did I have any other models/boxes out when I was building him? Maybe I mistakenly dumped those three pieces into my Unicorn Titanium box? ... what the heck else was I building back then? .... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Anyways - don't ever allow yourself to NOT have a model kit lying in a closet collecting dust in its' box...or...that is...the box is collectin dust...

ok - again...

Don't ever allow yourself to NOT have an unbuilt model kit in a box that is collecting dust in the closet...

Only now...when I don't have ANYTHING do I realize the utter horror of having a quarrel with your girlfriend the day before New Years and NOT having a model kit to build...NOOOOO!!

I MUST find those three shoulder pieces for the 1/72 Alto!

Hmm...maybe I should put this into the Macross 1/72 Alto topic?

But I think the post applies to Gundams as well.

I'd sooner prefer to build a Gundam than open that dang Alto since I know that the three missing pieces won't be there - and it'll only make me feel worse. I mean - HOW could they be there? They can't! If they were - I wouldn't have put it away - but instead, I would have found it all and built it three months ago...

I won't have any moe Gunpla kits until the end of January probably :( .... that's like... NEXT YEAR!!! :o

I must have SOMETHING to build...

*rumages*....

Oh great...

I hav a 1:144 O Raiser - sans O Gundam!!

Just the Raiser!!

and in 1:144 scale at that!!!

Oh...wait...

*rumages some mor*

GETTER 1 from Bandai's Mechanic Collection line!!

It's so simple though...yet with those rubbery things it's so appealing (Mazinger Z was a fun build) ....

Too simple though...not satisfying enough...

The agony.

Pete