Gundam Plamodel Thread III

Yes - and NONE of them work.

All of the four-pronged fork ones are too long/wrong. They either only go half way up his butt or - in the case of one which I "moded" (aka circumsized by 50%) - even though it manages to fit up his butt, there's still lots of room left between the prongs and his leg-connectors. End result is wobbly Gundam.

The othe two connectors don't really work either.

The silly thing is - there's what appears to be an MG RX-78-2 on the PICTURE of the Action Base stand package...

I dunno. I'm confused. It's almost as though this MG kit was made...differently...

And there's nothing in the instructions about getting him on a stand nor is there anything on the sprus that could be used for getting him on a stand.

I'll experiment more tomorrow.

It could be that I'm being too demanding. I just like it when the prong fits snuggly up a Gundam's butt instead of leaving all this wiggle room.

Pete

Did you take those pics yourself? :) You are lucky for seeing it. We've all been oogling it on this thread for a few pages now :)

In any case - first Yoko Kanno concert, and now you get to walk around a 1:1 Gundam. Life is so not fair!

Don't forget Eva 2.0 (with the Macross Frontier trailer)! I saw that, too!

But anyway, yeah. I took the pictures myself. Hell, I would've bought the Master Grade RX-78-2 Ver. Odaiba as well, but I had no space left in my luggage...

Thanks Lechuck.

I was familiar with Ka standing for Katoki, and him being the designer. Heck - there's even an interview with him in the instruction manual :)

But since I don't read Japanese, I couldn't figure out why he made the design changes he did. I agree that his version of the RX looks more industrial - but I guess my question was: did this more industrial looking version make any appearances in the anime? Like in Stardust Memory or something?

In any event - I also have the HG RX-78-2, which looks pretty much exactly like what Amuro piloted in the original MSG - so I guess that's on my "too build shortlist"

Anyways - if you could shed some light on whether the KA RX is simply made up by Katoki as an interpretation, or if it has ANY basis in any of the various Gundam anime, I'd be obliged :)

Thanks!

Pete

Katoki's interpretation of the RX-78 first appeared as an illustration in the instructions booklet for the old 1/144 HG kit. Not the current HGUC kit. There was an older HG kit which came out back in the early 90's. Around the same time, his design was used as the coverart for the laserdisc release of the 1st movie. Ever since his interpretation got popular many current RX-78 toys/art/etc (even those that are not Vers. Ka) tend to incorporate his cues.

It's been said that his interpretation of the RX-78 began from the design of the NT-1 from War in the Pocket. IOW, he took the NT-1 Alex and worked "backwards".

Don't forget Eva 2.0 (with the Macross Frontier trailer)! I saw that, too!

You jus had to rub it in!! :)

But then again - given all the work you do on translating - it's only fair that the Heavans reward you with a 1:1 Gundam, a Yoko Kanno concert and EVA 2.0 all rolled into one.

Pete

Oh well. Double post again - can't be helped. I've basically become a one man Chinese Factory and am churning these Gundams out at speed. Started on RGM 79 version 2.0 today.

After building the main body and head my first reaction was to grab another box for a second build - because the inner frame DESERVES to be displayed on its' own - or at worse I'll have two Jims to stand around looking tough...

But seriously - these 2.0 Gundams are amazing. The pistons, the hydraulics - it's astounding and it works best on the original 0079 MSG Gundams and Zakus, which don't have any fancy pants transformations or Super Gundam Buster Boom Boom weapons - but are just nice clunky heavy war machines.

The designers therefore didn't need to focus on the gimmicks and instead focused on making the inner frame as workable and realistic as possible. I utterly LOVE the Jim's "Terminator style" "colar bone" pistons - A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!

Also, just like the Force Impulse Gundam from 2008, so too this Jim's colors are AWESOME! Seriously - no paint necessary - this looks great. This does not look like bland plastic that needs color to make it "shine" or "metalic" or whatever.

This is what the MG line was meant to be and aiming for for a long time apparently - no need to glue, no need to color - and lots and lots of mechanical detail - and real working hydraulics.

Char's Zaku II version 2.0 was great. Jim is great too.

Can't wait for the new 2.0 Goof, Guntank and hopefully others.

Pete

i just got myself a gelgoog 2.0 last weekend.

and i'm looking forward to building it. still waiting

for a gouf 2.0 as the store where i buy said that

it was so popular that it was immediately sold out

and will be available again only next month.

i really prefer the zeon ms's. i have a zaku, dom,

gyan, gelgoog, kampfer, sazabi and perfect zeong,

all in mg. must be because i am old school. the

only gundams i have are the crossbone, wing ka,

rx-78 ka and mk-ll.

because of the lack of relatively new yamato

offerings, i am diverting my funds to other mecha.

got myself a pg wing a few weeks back and i have

pre-ordered the mp-04 reissue. am also considering

getting the new combattler soc and the pg mk-ll.

thanks yamato!

There is a bit of debate about Katoki and his designs or to be more specifically his contemporary re-workings.

Case in point, your KA-Gundam vs. Gundam 2.0. A lot of younger fans have problems with 2.0's appearance, not liking the sponge feet and the somewhat plain "gummy-esque" look.

Older fans think the KA is too industrial with too many little bits and pieces added, and therefore sort of loosing the soul and spirit of the original design. Some really die-hards

even think that 2.0 version hasn't gone far enough with the classic/retro look.

I agree, I have the FIX ver. its a nice design but I was really put off from the back design

the butt

. Overall now I prefer the O Gundam over the RX-78-2, since it combines old and new with a sleek design. I'm hoping for a HG 1/100 or a MG.

Gubaba, I wish that beauty was really, then it'll be a real treat.

The line was too long, the crowd was too big, and the weather was too hot and humid (even at 10 AM!) but I got my photos, which is all I really wanted.

Well, except riding to Odaiba on the Yurikamome monrail and riding back on the waterbus. That always makes me feel like a kid again. ^_^

Gubaba:

Well, except riding to Odaiba on the Yurikamome monrail and riding back on the waterbus. That always makes me feel like a kid again

D'oh! Stop rubbing it in!! Well I sat up all night yesterday watching Neon Genesis Evangelion so...um... there! ;)

Roy Fokker

Might as well share a pic of my new hobby of doing HGUC mobile suits. Yes I really like the 0080 Designs.

Wow. Nice Kaempfer ;)

Pete

I might actually make the PG 00 Gundam my first PG kit. I like the design and wouldn't mind so much, although generally it's true that I'm focusing on MG mainly...

Still - I need at least ONE Gundam in 1/60 scale to tease my valkyries...

Pete

Still gotta build his bazooka and beam gun, but all in all...to paraphrase a popular saying..."He's Alive, Jim!"

2e4awpk.jpg

Really really impressed with the engineering on this guy. Excellent stuff. Version 2.0s rock! :)

Pete

PG 00 Gundam. You know PG 0 Raiser is coming. PG Sky Graspers cleared the way for that.

From the teaser images it looks like they'll beef up the design like they did with the Strike Gundam. Hope they relly do; 00 design just looks plain for such a big model kit.

hwjapan.com currently list most of their gunpla at 30% off instead of their standard 20% off, cover almost everything from BB to PG. Only the hot new MG Exia remain at 20% off.

wow, big discounts indeed, and almost across the board for GunPla. how is the service for hwjapan.com? anyone had any bad experience with them?

hwjapan.com is the English version of the web store of Aoshima BK, a model maker in Japan.

Their web site is messy, but their service is OK so far. I wrote my first experience here.

Scale model inventory is about equal to other big players like HLJ and Hobby Search, but they don't carry as much in toy/completed model inventory.

On top of price, one advantage they have over HLJ is they quote the shipping price when you place the order, and so far they will charge me the quoted price. Although in some case the pile up and ship system in HLJ may be preferred.

Currently I have a pre-ordered MG Exia Ignition mode in transit to Canada. 4000 yen + 1480 yen SAL shipping, with tracking number. Yes some time their SAL shipping have tracking number that I can use on Japan post and Canada post web site.

@CF18: thanks for the info :) i may try them one time, or more like suggest it to my friends who are into PlaMo too and do the actual ordering (me no credit card, scared of debts, lol). ordering by bulk, most of the time we prefer Rainbow Ten since for most items they have nominally lower prices than HLJ, though sometimes when we see an item we REALLY like in HLJ and is on sale 70% or so of regular price then we go for the latter. as for the tracking number... there have been a few times that Rainbow Ten was able to provide us a SAL tracking number too, but yes, it's more the exception than the rule.