Gundam Plamodel Thread III

thanks bro.

am really looking forward to building my first PG.

have done about 10 MG's. all straight-build.

the largest being the perfect zeong. so i don't

see any difficulties in building this except for

the amount of time needed and the wiring.

Whatever you do try building a more simple pg kit like the gundam mk II or strike gundam. My first PG was the zeta gundam and let me tell you IMO I think it's the most complex PG kit out there atm... Not only does it have a movable inner frame but it also has electrical wiring and ground's required throughout the entire kit. It's also a perfect transformation kit which makes it very complex, there are a lot of tiny spring assemblies and special movable parts to make it transform.

NE way I have yet to build another PG kit since then. I'd like to get another one and build it someday but I have neither the time nor the money to invest in another atm... Goodluck.

Meanwhile I am almost finished my zaku 2.0 MG atm. It's my first zeon kit and im impressed with the engineering of the kit, its a fantastic kit and very fun to build IMO...

Edited by transfan52

the zaku 2.0 is really great.

am thinking of getting also the pg zaku

but i have the feeling that the proportion

and articulation of the mg is better than the pg.

Unfortunately you are quite right... The zaku 2 was the first PG ever made and its design while decent is outdated compared to the newer 2.0 zaku MG. But if you want a big 1/60 zaku II for the size then by all means go for it, it still is a very good kit and is a bargain compared to the other PG kits available atm.

thanks bro.

anyway, i have read a lot of comments that the

mg wing is a lot better than the pg but i'll still be

getting the pg. it's the novelty of it's size, i guess.

anyway, unlike the mg, i don't think there will ever

be a pg v2.0. so i might as well get the zaku too,

while i am at it.

i plan on getting the wing first, then the zaku,

then the astray last. was also thinking of getting

the strike but i think it's a lot like the astray so

i'll just get the astray. i plan on getting the astray

last so i don't get disappointed while building the

other 2. :lol:

thanks bro.

anyway, i have read a lot of comments that the

mg wing is a lot better than the pg but i'll still be

getting the pg. it's the novelty of it's size, i guess.

anyway, unlike the mg, i don't think there will ever

be a pg v2.0. so i might as well get the zaku too,

while i am at it.

i plan on getting the wing first, then the zaku,

then the astray last. was also thinking of getting

the strike but i think it's a lot like the astray so

i'll just get the astray. i plan on getting the astray

last so i don't get disappointed while building the

other 2. :lol:

Actually I like the PG kit of wing better than the MG kit, While the MG kit is slightly more durable and poseable it it lacks the level of detail the PG kit has, the PG kit also has a slightly better paint job out of box.

good to hear that bro. finally someone who

prefers the PG to the MG. hehehe.

was looking at pics of the PG zaku at dalong.

i think i'll be scratching the zaku off my list.

i really don't like the feet. the part on top of

the feet, covering the pistons, is too big for

my taste. i really like how they changed that

in the MG. with the money, i'll just maybe get

a gouf and a gelgoog and maybe another zaku

MG. or maybe just save it for the 1:2000 sdf-1. :D

1/1 Real Scale/Life Size Gundam

Bonus - Cost To Build Working A Gundam

$752,000,000

http://www.pinktentacle.com/2008/01/725000000-gundam

cheaper than some fighter jets and an aircraft carrier

--------------------

DJ Loe Kee & RC

Dept. of Sanitation/Dead Zoe Prod. & Dept. of Sanitation/Dead Zoe Prod. Myspace

안녕하세요?

$752,000,000 - that figure can't be correct.

*edit* nevermind...I read the rest of the post.

Edited by peter

So... I started on my second Unicorn - this time the Titanium version. I stripped the old one of its' armor (put the armor in the box) and will be displaying it naked. I'm now building a new inner frame for the titanium parts - but first, I started by applying decals and dry-decals (those "scratch on things") to the armor. So far, I've done the main-body armor and thn built the inner frame and applied it the (all decalled out) armor to it. I'm also actually using the decal instructions to apply them this time and being careful - more so than before.

The one thing I'm wondering about - when I get to it - is on the head... the open-horn decal covers up the nice detailing on the actual horns. I want to restore that detailing - but in yellow... is there any way to do this without painting? Or maybe I should take a thin yellow pen and run it along the lines after applying the decal?

I need to think about it.

In any event - wanna get this project out of the way ASAP so I can get to building other Gundams (RX-78-2 and RM-79) that I don't have yet - but it'll be cool having an inner-frame on display.

Makes me suddenly desire two each of ever MG :o

Pete

Zoinks! I like to think to myself, that this time around, the Unicorn Gundam looks so good because my building skills have improved since the first one I built. In a way (starting to praise myself here - beware) - this is true. Notice how the decals are applied and how I even applied the rub-on tampoo printing or whatever you call it. So - it's all because of me that it looks so good :) It has nothing to do with that Titanium coating ;) ...

12213za.jpg

Pete

In the words of Bon Jovi: "woo oooh...we're half way there..."

sc72bn.jpg

I totally love how the titanium coating gives a great shine to the Gundam pilot. I know...I know...he's probably NOT supposed to look like that - but it kind of reminds me of astronaught suits and how they glimmer a bit. Anyways - I'm so happy with this build. True; I've still not learned how to clean he stubs fully (I tried to file but that ends up just whittling away everything)... Any suggestions? Other than evening out and painting over which maybe one day I'll have the courage to do but still dont?

Pete

I totally love how the titanium coating gives a great shine to the Gundam pilot. I know...I know...he's probably NOT supposed to look like that - but it kind of reminds me of astronaught suits and how they glimmer a bit. Anyways - I'm so happy with this build. True; I've still not learned how to clean he stubs fully (I tried to file but that ends up just whittling away everything)... Any suggestions? Other than evening out and painting over which maybe one day I'll have the courage to do but still dont?

Pete

If you paint over the parts after sanding them down the stubs are almost nonexistent... You would have to look really hard to catch any with the naked eye pretty much. But if you want an absolutely perfect model then your gonna have to use modeling puddy. After sanding apply a light coat of puddy over the nubbed area and sand down a little more till the puddy blends in with the rest of the parts and your good to go from there...

Of course your going to have to paint over the part so that the ugly puddy isn't visible on the parts. That's currently the best way to remove studs or excess. If you don't plan to paint over the kit than there really is no effective way of doing so without having some stubs on the parts. That is why a lot of hardcore gunpla modellers to not like chrome finish kits because there is no effective way to completely get rid of stubs without ruining the finish of the kit. Ne way have fun and goodluck.

sc72bn.jpg

Pete

that looks great. I really love the design of this mecha but I hate the model. It Breaks too easy and I like solid things I can manhandle. Anyway with what you mentioned earlier I was about to either toss or sell mine. But know I took all the armor off and left the pink bits on it looks amazing. I will post pics soon.

Eagerly awaiting the built model kit. Forgot the Name of the series. SUper HG Action model or soemething like that

If someone would like the armor parts let me know

I don't have the actual model, but from the photos I've seen Unicorn mode looks a lot better than Destroy-mode (my opinion anyways). The day I build mine, I'll just leave it in the former mode and not bother with the transformation :) .

sc72bn.jpg

Pete

ha

I just saw in the background your skeletal unicorn. I didnt go as far as you did but can you take a pic of it so I can look at it more closely

If you paint over the parts after sanding them down the stubs are almost nonexistent... You would have to look really hard to catch any with the naked eye pretty much. But if you want an absolutely perfect model then your gonna have to use modeling puddy. After sanding apply a light coat of puddy over the nubbed area and sand down a little more till the puddy blends in with the rest of the parts and your good to go from there... Of course your going to have to paint over the part so that the ugly puddy isn't visible on the parts. That's currently the best way to remove studs or excess. If you don't plan to paint over the kit than there really is no effective way of doing so without having some stubs on the parts. That is why a lot of hardcore gunpla modellers to not like chrome finish kits because there is no effective way to completely get rid of stubs without ruining the finish of the kit. Ne way have fun and goodluck.

Thanks for all the tips Transfan52! I was afraid of that... I have no clue where I can even get any puddy around here... The stubs on the Titanium/chrome finish kit actually don't look too bad even - because it just looks like "Rust/weathering" rather than a plastic stub... But I guess in the final analysis one day I will have to buy spray paint, hang the sprus up outside on little strings and pppppppppppssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! spray them prior to assembly.... one day... The problem I have is that I don't know where in Warsaw I can walk in and say "hey - I need some spray paint, some puddy, this that and something else." There is an online shop though with modeling goods... so I might eventually get around to buying some from them....

that looks great. I really love the design of this mecha but I hate the model. It Breaks too easy and I like solid things I can manhandle. Anyway with what you mentioned earlier I was about to either toss or sell mine. But know I took all the armor off and left the pink bits on it looks amazing. I will post pics soon.

Eagerly awaiting the built model kit. Forgot the Name of the series. SUper HG Action model or soemething like that

Both of my Unicorns are Mastergrade. The first one is Version Kai, the second is Titanium. I too love the design of this mecha. It doesn't break easy at all. It's fairly solid. If you built it right- which I'm discovering the secnd time around - it's solid as a rock. I think that my first Unicorn just has some parts stuck in upside down, right side up... and that's why it was a tad loose. But this time around, since I've got more than a few builds under my belt - including 1/72 Ozma - I feel like I'm doing a better job and I get the feeling the model is coming out more solid.

I don't have the actual model, but from the photos I've seen Unicorn mode looks a lot better than Destroy-mode (my opinion anyways). The day I build mine, I'll just leave it in the former mode and not bother with the transformation

I like Destroy Mode as well - that's why I'll probably up and build a third Unicorn to display in Destroy mode :) One in Psycho-Frame, one in Destroy, and one as inner frame :)

I just saw in the background your skeletal unicorn. I didnt go as far as you did but can you take a pic of it so I can look at it more closely

As soon as I finish building Titanium Coating Unicorn, I'm gonna build a couple of Gundam Stands and put both the inner frame Unicorn and the armored Unicorn up in some nice poses - pictures will be incoming then.

But inner-frame Unicorn reminds me of EVA - he looks very menacing.

The ONLY complaint I have about this model is that the legs do not bend as far back at the knee as I would like. He can't crouch. I'm not exactly sure why this is the case - but there it is. Great for space combat though :)

Pete

Ok - this picture quality sucks because there is too much bright light which completely fails to show off the beauty of titanium coating... so as soon as I build some stands and get some decent picks of him I'll post 'em - but this one is just a quick "yay, I'm finally done!" pic :

ng4j8j.jpg

Pete

Pete

Getting rid of the sprue marks on a metallic coating kit is impossible (except to strip the whole coating off and paint everything). On a normal kit, I often do the following -

1. Sand down with a sanding stick often used for finger nails - using different sanding grades. Just get it nice and smooth.

2. If the mark is still there after the sanding then I use Gundam marker (I use GM02 for just about any dark plastic). Just dab the area and rub with finger.

3. Apply clear flat coat on whole model when done

Not the best solution (and not recommended by true modelers) but it's good enough for me. ^_^

Edited by Vifam7

Well - on the titanium coating the stub marks just make it look a little whethered. What I hate a stub marks on hands - because they just look like... well...stubby plastic :)

Anyways - built my first Gundam stand too. In a bit of a hussle today, so no time to make pics yet but I love the stands! Pretty soon, everybody's gonna get a stand rammed up their butt! :) Unicorn was the first - and he was so happy - I could tell because he finally started flexing those legs and taking on some stellar poses...

Speaking of stellar poses - either I did something wrong (again) or the leg armor limits leg mobility EVEN more...

But I can't believe that - I must have done something wrong... it was too close to midnight for me to be thinking clearly :)

Pete

Speaking of stellar poses - either I did something wrong (again) or the leg armor limits leg mobility EVEN more...

But I can't believe that - I must have done something wrong... it was too close to midnight for me to be thinking clearly :)

Pete

ei pete, nope you probably put the parts right together, it's just that the Unicorn is really THAT limited in articulation in the leg department, ESPECIALLY with the armor parts on. check out Dalong's review of the Unicorn ==> http://dalong.net/review/mg/mg102/mg102_p.htm

THAT limited in articulation in the leg department,

Thanks for the link. I guess that review has reminded me to panel line mine... :)

Oh well. I don't mind. It's still an awesome piece. And those butt-boosters make more sense now. One needn't have leg articulation when one has butt boosters in conjunction with ankle boosters :)

If I had boosters coming out of my butt, I wouldn't mind not being able to sit on the toilet :p

Pete

Yes, I have even MORE Gunpla joys to share with everyone! :)

Yesterday, I got my very first taste of working in a Chinese Toy factory! I sat there assembling the same damn thing over and over and over. It got to the point where I didn't even need to look at the instructions anymore. I'd just cut the pieces out of their sprues, put them together as fast as I could, apply the screw, jam it up a Gundam's butt and move on to the next one. I speak, of course, of Gundam Action Base stands - which are AWESOME and which are so totally necessary to full exhibit the awesomeness of Gundam models themselves.

The pictures bellow are taken from something I publish on my website in Poland called "Super Robot Overview" (and by "super" I mean "awesome! cool!" and not what is traditionally meant by "super robot" as opposed to "real robot" - which is why Gundams fall into the category...). Anyways, don't mind the sometimes foriegn language writing in the pic - I hope you like them!

bhbtx2.jpg

o547m1.jpg

2n6692g.jpg

14136nk.jpg

e99f6r.jpg

2hcmhcj.jpg

Hope you guys like my modeling! Recomendations welcome :)

Pete

Did you take those pics yourself? :) You are lucky for seeing it. We've all been oogling it on this thread for a few pages now :)

In any case - first Yoko Kanno concert, and now you get to walk around a 1:1 Gundam. Life is so not fair!

But at least you're sharing :) so that's good :)

Pete

EDIT:

1. My favorite is the pic with the building in it - for comparisson

2. Question to more experienced modelers ... Why does the 1:1 RX-78-2 have only one booster on each side? My MG kit has TWO... now, granted, my MG kit also has a different shield than the one in MSG - and I'm starting to suspect (although obviously I can't read the Japanese) that KA says he took the model from Stardust Memory or something? Or maybe I'm seeing things wrong? Help.

Edited by VFTF1

Your Gundam RX-78-2 is a ver. KA.

KA stands for Hajime Katoki a mecha designer.

A KA labeled Master Grade means that Katoki had a finger in the entire production.

Ranging anywhere from general design, parts design, CAD, manual, box etc..

There is a bit of debate about Katoki and his designs or to be more specifically his contemporary re-workings.

Case in point, your KA-Gundam vs. Gundam 2.0. A lot of younger fans have problems with 2.0's appearance, not liking the sponge feet and the somewhat plain "gummy-esque" look.

Older fans think the KA is too industrial with too many little bits and pieces added, and therefore sort of loosing the soul and spirit of the original design. Some really die-hards

even think that 2.0 version hasn't gone far enough with the classic/retro look.

Hope this clears up a couple things for you.

Thanks Lechuck.

I was familiar with Ka standing for Katoki, and him being the designer. Heck - there's even an interview with him in the instruction manual :)

But since I don't read Japanese, I couldn't figure out why he made the design changes he did. I agree that his version of the RX looks more industrial - but I guess my question was: did this more industrial looking version make any appearances in the anime? Like in Stardust Memory or something?

In any event - I also have the HG RX-78-2, which looks pretty much exactly like what Amuro piloted in the original MSG - so I guess that's on my "too build shortlist"

Anyways - if you could shed some light on whether the KA RX is simply made up by Katoki as an interpretation, or if it has ANY basis in any of the various Gundam anime, I'd be obliged :)

Thanks!

Pete

It's his interpretation (could have been inspired by 08th MS Team OVA) and to my knowledge it has never been seen in animated form.

Although the KA design has basically served as template for most if not all of the modern gundam video games.

As a side note, the designer for the GP-01/FB (and I think others) in Stardust Memories (my FAVORITE Gundam designs, and close second series to 08th) is none other than Shoji Kawamori :) That explains the 'different' yet eerily familiar look to all the crazy prototype designs in 0083.

I find it annoying that the MG RX-78-2 is pretty near impossible to securely fit onto a Gundam stand. You'd think that the original Gundam would...you know...fit! :) And I can't find anything in the instructions about any special pieces on the sprues that could be used to connect him...

I HATE this... I mean - I kind of sort of got him onto it - but he's not as secure as all the other Gundams...who are laughing at him because of it.

Help.

Pete