Gundam Plamodel Thread III

I find it a little odd that folks will build model kits just for the fun of building it and not having any kind of attachment to what it represents when completed.

Not that it's wrong to do so. I just always thought folks build model kits because - they like the anime (for mecha kits), enjoy the history (for real word stuff), or simply like the aesthetics.

Hobby mag info starting to show up, some MG, HGUC and PG (yes, I said "PG") tidbits...

PG - Gundam Astray Red Frame (....don't get it......why now?...why this suit?)

MG - GM ver. 2.0 (gotta love the 'grunt love', but why still molding it in that damn blue color?!)

HGUC - MS IGLOO 2 set (includes a Type-61 MBT, a Wappa, some MS weapons and manipulators, and some figures)

New PG?!?! About damn time!!!!!!!! Not only that, but my FAVORITE MS!!!!!!!! Dreams do come true! I'm so all over the eventual G-system L2 conversion kit for this, because I'm sure it's coming.

Tee hee :) I just applied those transparent stickers with the red writing to my Wing Zero MG and it looks helluv better now :)

I'm agonizing over who to build next... I really should finish building the remaining members of Celestial Being (I have Exia, Virtue, and Nadleeh built) - although I am tempted to do an enemy Mobile Suit (I have never built one)... but who? HG Taozi Tieren? Or perhaps I should build a Mastergrade Zaku II v.2?

Or....should I venture into the craziness that is Gundam Seed and build Force Impulse Gundam MG?

I must admit that my last build - Unicorn Gundam - went well and while I am pleased with the result, I am somewhat disheartened by just how UNfriendly Unicorn is to play around with...

Hmm... I think I'm gonna end up building Force Impulse.

I've heard ONLY bad things about SEED. That it's crappy, that it's just mindless action... bleh bleh bleh... can it really be that bad?

Perhaps building Force Impulse Gundam will give me some perspective on this subject.

Pete

Tee hee :) I just applied those transparent stickers with the red writing to my Wing Zero MG and it looks helluv better now :)

I'm agonizing over who to build next... I really should finish building the remaining members of Celestial Being (I have Exia, Virtue, and Nadleeh built) - although I am tempted to do an enemy Mobile Suit (I have never built one)... but who? HG Taozi Tieren? Or perhaps I should build a Mastergrade Zaku II v.2?

Or....should I venture into the craziness that is Gundam Seed and build Force Impulse Gundam MG?

I must admit that my last build - Unicorn Gundam - went well and while I am pleased with the result, I am somewhat disheartened by just how UNfriendly Unicorn is to play around with...

Hmm... I think I'm gonna end up building Force Impulse.

I've heard ONLY bad things about SEED. That it's crappy, that it's just mindless action... bleh bleh bleh... can it really be that bad?

Perhaps building Force Impulse Gundam will give me some perspective on this subject.

Pete

You're referring to Seed Destiny, which is exponentially worse than Seed (which was already so-so). I also prefer the Seed designs more, like Strike or Freedom.

Pete

I've recently started watching Gundam SEED. 20 episodes in and I'm surprised to find myself really enjoying it. The story is a kind of alternate retelling on Gundam0079 sofar. Maybe it gets worse in time, but sofar so good.

Pete

The Mastergrade Zaku's are really nice, and lots of flavors to choose from. This one is my favorite: Shin Matsunaga Custom Ver. 2.0

Or, have you built a RX-78-2 yet? No collection is complete without it XD.

Or, have you built a RX-78-2 yet? No collection is complete without it

I'm waiting on my HG RX-78-2 ...

Now I'm really in a pickle. I am thinking of building the Zaku, the Gouf and the Z'Gok to get a nice Principality of Zeon force going :) All MG...

In terms of Freedom and Destiny and the like - I generally am not a big fan of the "look at all my sharp wings and cannons and swords" type Mecha - although I do have a soft spot for Crossbone Full Cloth; but that's mainly because I like the pirate motif.

Well - either way -I'm gonna build something as soon as I finish cleaning my room :)

Pete

I'm waiting on my HG RX-78-2 ...

Now I'm really in a pickle. I am thinking of building the Zaku, the Gouf and the Z'Gok to get a nice Principality of Zeon force going :) All MG...

In terms of Freedom and Destiny and the like - I generally am not a big fan of the "look at all my sharp wings and cannons and swords" type Mecha - although I do have a soft spot for Crossbone Full Cloth; but that's mainly because I like the pirate motif.

Well - either way -I'm gonna build something as soon as I finish cleaning my room :)

Pete

For the longest time I didn't have ne model kit of the original RX-78-2 gundam. So I decided on getting the ver ka MG kit... Some ppl don't like that version because its not true to the anime and has a more modern look but I like the realistic look of the kit.... There are so many versions of the RX-78 that you're bound to find one you'll like...

I'm not a big fan of the original gundam design but I just had to have one because your collection just isn't complete without the original...

Its like have every other valkyrie in you collection but not having ne of the VF-1 valks from the original macross.

For the longest time I didn't have ne model kit of the original RX-78-2 gundam. So I decided on getting the ver ka MG kit... Some ppl don't like that version because its not true to the anime and has a more modern look but I like the realistic look of the kit.... There are so many versions of the RX-78 that you're bound to find one you'll like...

I'm not a big fan of the original gundam design but I just had to have one because your collection just isn't complete without the original...

Its like have every other valkyrie in you collection but not having ne of the VF-1 valks from the original macross.

Version Ka looks incredible. I'm very tempted to eventually build it (as I'm part of that group that lacks a RX-78 lol)... but due to time constraints and my current "hobby back-log" probably not going to happen anytime soon :mellow:

The pictures on HLJ for the version 2 MG look rather unremarkable but truer to the original series. I still prefer the Ka version, if an MG kit is not loaded with insignia decals like a NASCAR vehicle (or Formula 1 if you prefer) then it's not really a MG ^^.

I like the KA design, but also dislike it as you said that is 'too much' style charge from the anime.

My personal favortie so far is the One Year War animation color RX78! It has extra details and modern design, but also feel just like the animation design.

I like the KA design, but also dislike it as you said that is 'too much' style charge from the anime.

My personal favortie so far is the One Year War animation color RX78! It has extra details and modern design, but also feel just like the animation design.

I posted some of the Gundams I got in 08 I need to post more. Right now I am doing inventory of my Collection and boxing up quite a few of them. I have four large display cases and I wanted to thin them out a bit. Once i am done I will post pics.

Right now my gundam Collection included

PGs

Seed with the jet and wings

Wing

Gundam Zeta

Gundam Zeta not transforming one I think its called rx 178

Zaku II red version

MGs

Unicorn

Gundam turn V

The Gundam from Astray with THe wings and two huge cannons with the shield with the gattling gun cant remember the name just think its a wicked looking gundam

and F91

I do plan of getting the nemesis of Unicorn gundam

and the shiny nemesis of Hi Nugundam Zakus one forgot its name also

Hi Nugundam

I really like the Gundam 00 virtue and Exia new version of them but since I only would get the MG or PG gundams I guess I will never own those. I just find anything less then a PG and MG is not worth the money!

You guys should look into the Kotobukiya armored core kits I have two and they take longer to build than a 1/60 PG but man the gloss shine to them (you dont need to paint them) and detail is fabulous in a 1/44 scale. Too bad Bandai cant do that with their 1/44. Also I have three MP Zoid kits from Kotobukiya and they are very nice as well as mecha.

Edited by nugundamII

Well - I ended up building 00 Dynamese - mainly out of a sense of duty (aka - since I already had Exia and Virtue built then...)....

Now - out of duty - I will probably build Kyros next; even though I don't much like him - but whatever...

Also put the transparent red stickers on my Unicorn Gundam. Dag. I have SUCH a love/hate relationship with Unicorn Gundam.

I really would have prefered if they'd simply not designed it to transform to psycho mode and just made it durable and able to stay together. As is, Unicorn just falls apart every which way - this is largely due to the fact that he is made to come apart real easily in order to fascilitate the transformation of a bazillion little panels in a way that doesn't have you tearing the model apart in mid air...

Still - he is SUCH a pain in the butt! But SO beautiful at the same time...

I keep having to remind myself that not all Mastergrade Gundams are so fragile as Unicorn...

now I have a new dilema:

Continue building High Grade 00 ...or go and build an MG kit?

I'm leaning towards High Grades - they are quicker, more playable - and in a sense it would be nice since I pretty much have all of the 00 kits at hand... so I could have a nice rounded out 00 collection...

Pete

@pete: go for the HG 00 kits, great posability and details for their scale. and the smaller HG kits doesn't need as much display area :D also, for people who paint kits, it doesn't consume as much paint as 1/100's/MG's, though they can be a pain with masking...

lol I hate putting the Gundam-eyes sticker on HG kits. Even with tools, because of my relatively large and shaky hands it's hard because the area is so small.

@ghost train: you can use a pointed hobby knife to place those small stickers instead. place the sticker on the very edge of the pointed tip, with only a very small portion of the sticker actually in contact with the knife tip, and use a toothpick to carefully position the eye sticker over the eye area :D

So question, anyone dipped in and built that LED style Gundam 00? I was tempted on buying it the other day for that sole purpose but kind of passed as I'm not too fond of HG's cause they're too easy to build.

lol I hate putting the Gundam-eyes sticker on HG kits. Even with tools, because of my relatively large and shaky hands it's hard because the area is so small.

Despite my utterly poor modeling skills, I am happy to report that this is one area where I have no problems. Wobble-free hands and patience help me do this just fine with no additional tools.

@pete: go for the HG 00 kits, great posability and details for their scale. and the smaller HG kits doesn't need as much display area

I have plenty of display space - although I could stand to buy some new shelves or something... but yeah... I probably will continue with the 00 kits - particularly since I like the enemy mecha in 00...

Pete

That sounds awesome :) Is it a green Zaku? And is it out or scheduled to come out?

After finishing my Dynamese HG, I've now embarked on building the MG Force Impulse. I have thus far built the Core Fighter/Splendor - which is pretty cool.

I like the colors - they are rich, and the runners say "ABS" - so I take it this is all ABS plastic which...uh...is good? :)

In any event - I read that it's supposedly a very stable Gundam that can keep its' poses. So far I'm two for two on MGs. The Wing Zero custom and Crossbone Gundam are great for play value, but Turn A and especially Unicorn less so.

Is this because they are older kits that are still in production today?

Turn A needs a v.2 - he is one of my favorite Gundams but the MG is a tad lacking...

Unicorn is a nightmare...

Pete

Ahh MG Gundam F91, to date one of my worst build up experiences. I had the internal mechanism on one of the VSRBs break in half, one of those guidance thingies on the tip of the beam launcher break and worst of all one of the shoulder fins connecting clip break. I don't know if it was the kit or a fluke of incompetence on my behalf at the time, but it took a lot of enjoyment away from me. -_-

@Ghost Train

Your painting looks crisp and clean, good job. Paint scheme looks a bit awkward to me personally.

Ghost Train - that looks really really cool! I like it. It's a bit like Strike Noir's evil cousin or something in terms of Paint scheme, and very distinct - and fits with the name Ghost Train :)

As for me - I bit the bullet and have put building my other HG Gundam OOs on hold for a bit and instead taken up my first Seed Distiny project. I must say I'm very very impressed by Force Impulse. First, this kit is from 2008, at it shows lots of improvements from other kits I've built from earlier years. The shoulders don't just danlger between the arms and the main body - because the peg for the shoulder/arms now is thicker nearer the body so the shoulders can stay on the body independent of the arms (something that none of my other Gundam MGs do). The hands seem more stable - generally everything seems tighter and more well built.

Also - as an aside, since I'm watching Mobile Suit GUndam - this guy is a real treat because he is very RX-ish, what with his Core (Splendor) and generallly looks like a slightly sleeker version of the original Gundam.

2j4wxtl.jpg

Just the legs and the Force Silloquette left to go :)

Pete

Um... are you using that toe-nail clipper to build your kit?

Yep. And a broken pair of nail clipping scissors :) I told you I'm not a good modeler :) I use the broken pair of scissors when I need to cut something out of the -um - the thingy... And I use the toe-nail clipper to get rid of those stubs that sometimes remain on the pieces :)

Pete

Yep. And a broken pair of nail clipping scissors :) I told you I'm not a good modeler :) I use the broken pair of scissors when I need to cut something out of the -um - the thingy... And I use the toe-nail clipper to get rid of those stubs that sometimes remain on the pieces :)

Pete

Ghetto style kit building! Used to build kits the same way long long ago. :D

Reminds me of the old days when gunpla wasn't snap-fit and came with a mysterious packet (or was it a tube?) containing sticky yellow glue. Isn't it great that Bandai MG and HG kits are now snap-fit?

You might at least want to get a flush cutting wire nipper though. And a X-acto knife. It'll make things a whole lot easier.

Edited by Vifam7