Gundam Plamodel Thread III

Wasn't going to paint that much (because I don't believe in wasting that much resources in a HG kit) but had to anyways, the plastic was really swirly on mine.

A quick and easy way to get rid of that plasticky swirl is to lightly sand the surface. I heard spraying clear flat also eliminates it.

I'm working on a MG Nemo, MG Zaku 2.0 and an old 1/100 Heavy Gun at the same time.

I screwed up on the Nemo so i'm waiting for HLJ to send me a replacement runner. :p

The old 1/100 Heavy Gun kit is awful. Despite being snapfit and (mostly) pre-colored, it requires plenty of glue and paint. The gaps and seams are terrible and various areas require paint to look half way decent (dunno if I have the skills to get that far) ^^;. It really makes me appreciate the current MG kits.

Edited by Vifam7

I recently saw F-91 - interesting, but (as everyone points out) just too story-compressed. I'd loved to have known what Tomino would have done with a TV series.

Does the F-91 come with a Cecily? 'cos if it does, you're going to have a bit of a painting challenge. There isn't a pigment in the Universe thats red enough... :)

I've never actually seen F-91, have only a passing familiarity from reading about it ^_^ . I do love the designs of all "formulas" from F-90 to the Crossbones (I think those were officially named Formula-97's), as they contrast so much with earlier designs (0079 -> CCA).

And look at the upper movement....Ngee Khiong also states no polycaps either......

http://blog.livedoor.jp/supermodelers/archives/51346045.html

I never found ne thing wrong with polycaps except for when they get loose at the joints after a little too much posing... I haven't built any gunpla in over a year but this kit might make me get into it again...

IMO gundam kits are becoming too expensive lately... and if you want to paint it and make it look nice you have to invest 500 to 1000 dollars in materials if your a professional... This kit is gonna take alot of work to make it look good, But if you have the time and the funds for this hobby id say go for it...

IMO gundam kits are becoming too expensive lately... and if you want to paint it and make it look nice you have to invest 500 to 1000 dollars in materials if your a professional... This kit is gonna take alot of work to make it look good, But if you have the time and the funds for this hobby id say go for it...

Ummm yeh. Bandai mentioned this last year that their kits would be getting more expensive. It doesn't look like things are going down either. And considering their costs went up followed by weak demand due to the the way things are economically, I don't expect them to go down either.

I've never actually seen F-91, have only a passing familiarity from reading about it ^_^ . I do love the designs of all "formulas" from F-90 to the Crossbones (I think those were officially named Formula-97's), as they contrast so much with earlier designs (0079 -> CCA).

Its an interesting collection of ideas, but just unfortunately a victim of having been planned as a TV series but instead made as a movie. I didn't use to like the F-91 design before I saw it - the torso always put me in mind of one your big US Peterbilt-style lorries - sorry, I mean, trucks :) - but having seen it in action, its grown on me quite a bit.

Cecily, one of the lead characters, is the Queen of the Race of Ginger. Seriously. Shes the most red-headed red-head its possible to be. She makes Rupert Grint look like a pale blonde. :) (in case, anyone thinks I'm trying to be biased against that particular hair pigment, I wish to point out that I think shes lovely!).

Edited by F-ZeroOne

A couple of my models I would like to share. I may have posted them before, but I'm honestly not sure. Played with flash lighting, 3 units in all. One on the camera, and two slaves pointed at diffusing surfaces (a white door and a white printer). The GM Custom is done in a Flanker-esque scheme, while the Guncannon is painted up as it should be. I used Bandai's waterslide decals for each of them. Hope you like them.

post-122-1229370956_thumb.jpg

post-122-1229370945_thumb.jpg

Ummm yeh. Bandai mentioned this last year that their kits would be getting more expensive. It doesn't look like things are going down either. And considering their costs went up followed by weak demand due to the the way things are economically, I don't expect them to go down either.

Yeah prices for MG's have went up almost double from prices in 2005... I guess ill be getting out of this hobby for the foreseeable future... only kits that I really like ill buy... ill have to settle for GFF or HCM pros if I want a decent detailed ms...

Late in posting, but with help from Neo-Era, these are apparent considerations for the 3rd release in the Bandai Pro-Shop Seires and may be announced in this month's hobby mags.

Looks like they went with the VF-25 as the next Pro-Shop release:

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/iam-cybergundam/

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?...st&p=693367

post-1479-1229691558_thumb.jpg

Edited by GRAND CANNON

Hobby mag info starting to show up, some MG, HGUC and PG (yes, I said "PG") tidbits...

PG - Gundam Astray Red Frame (....don't get it......why now?...why this suit?)

MG - GM ver. 2.0 (gotta love the 'grunt love', but why still molding it in that damn blue color?!)

HGUC - MS IGLOO 2 set (includes a Type-61 MBT, a Wappa, some MS weapons and manipulators, and some figures)

Edited by GRAND CANNON

MG - GM ver. 2.0 (gotta love the 'grunt love', but why still molding it in that damn blue color?!)

It's anime-correct, not looks-pretty-correct.

And the rest:

MG Zeta Ver. 2.0 HD Ver. - January release, 5,250 Yen (inclusive of tax).

HGUC Rezin's Schnyder Customized Geara Doga - January release, 1,890 Yen (inclusive of tax).

1/100 Cherudim - January release, 2,730 Yen (inclusive of tax).

1/100 Arios - February release, 2,730 Yen (inclusive of tax).

1/144 Exia Trans-Am Color Ver. - January release, 1,260 Yen (inclusive of tax).

1/144 Dynames Trans-Am Color Ver. - January release, 1,260 Yen (inclusive of tax).

1/144 Kyrios Trans-Am Color Ver. - January release, 1,575 Yen (inclusive of tax).

1/144 Virtue Trans-Am Color Ver. - January release, 1,575 Yen (inclusive of tax).

1/144 GN-XIII E.F.F. Color Ver. - January release, 1,260 Yen (inclusive of tax).

1/144 O Raiser - January release, 840 Yen (inclusive of tax).

1/144 GN Archer - January release, 1,260 Yen (inclusive of tax).

1/144 Gadessa - January release, 1,575 Yen (inclusive of tax).

Ngee Khiong has the pics.

MG Zeta Ver. 2.0 HD Ver. - January release, 5,250 Yen (inclusive of tax).

What does HD mean for the model? It's not the chrome-plating thing, is it?

I saw the same on the Mk. II's, but couldn't tell from the pics what the HD dealeo was all about... :blink:

Yen too strong, must wait a while.

Agreed.

84 yen per dollar and falling, last I checked.

Edited by godfather

What does HD mean for the model? It's not the chrome-plating thing, is it?

I saw the same on the Mk. II's, but couldn't tell from the pics what the HD dealeo was all about... :blink:

It just means that the color of the plastic has been adjusted to match the HD remaster video of Zeta Gundam on Blu-ray.

Hmmm... MG GM ver2? I could be sucked back into gunpla to pick that up... the MkII ver 2 was the last gunpla I did, and it was lightyears more fun and better looking than anoy of the earlier MGs I built. Interesting news on the PG Astray too. Anyone got any scans?

Maybe the upcoming addition of the first tracked MG with the G-Fighter will speed up the release of the Guntank..........

Hopfully 1/100 MG Zock (since we already have z'gok, gogg and acguy) , i know not many people like them...

but I love to have it to complete 1/100 0079 collection!

Dalong's review of the MG Sinanju Ver. Ka

Looks pretty good out of the box. I really like how he trimmed the gold stickers to closely follow where they go on the model. It looks very nice. I'm gonna have to get this one sometime down the road!

Wow. I'm impressed. The inner detail isn't quite as much as some of the latest v2.0 releases but the flexibility is amazing, and there's still a lot of detail. I might have to pick this one up :D

Vostok 7

• 2 weeks later...

Some upcoming MG & HGUC info via Nghee Khiong and new pics:

MG

MSN-00100 Hyaku Shiki (HD ver.) – (2/2009)

- Limited release.

Shin Musha Gundam Luxurious Set – (3/2009)

- Same as Shin Musha, but with glossy finish and plated golden parts. Includes exclusive base, backdrop and weapon stands. Limited release?

HGUC

93. MS IgLoo 2 Zaku Ground Battle Set – Includes Zaku manipulators and weapons, figures, Wappa, Type-61 MBT and battle-effect parts – (2/2009)

Got a general question, and please keep in mind I'm a fairly newbie builder (built 4 MGs and 3 HGs thus far):

Are the Highgrade Gundams generally more durable and "playable" than the Mastergrades?

I ask this because I'm considering which of the two I'd prefer to "branch out" into. My Mastergrade Gundams are great; but with most of them (Turn A and Unicorn especially) I get the distinct feeling that these are not made to play with - pose yes, look cool yes, display yes, photograph yes - but ultimately not really play with...

Mind you - I am not talking "throw around on the carpet and smash play" - but rather photograph for comics play...

Meanwhile, my Highgrade Gundams seem more play worthy. They are poseable, the joints are tighter and they seem more durable and less fragile.

I'm wondering what to build now...

In the end - this is probably a pointless question, since I'll likely go on to build more MG AND HG sets...

still - would like getting people's feedback.

I know from seeing pictures that some Gundams fit better in MG than in HG (for instance the Gundam Wing Zero MG is mighty fine and in HG scale it just wouldn't work so well).

On the other hand, all of the Gundam OOs came out as HGs - given how streamlined their design is - this isn't surprising, nor necessarily bad. I can't really see how making them MG would make them any better.

On the other hand - something like Unicorn in HG scale would probably be impossible given all the small panels in the transformation...

What say all of you?

Pete

Got a general question, and please keep in mind I'm a fairly newbie builder (built 4 MGs and 3 HGs thus far):

Are the Highgrade Gundams generally more durable and "playable" than the Mastergrades?

I ask this because I'm considering which of the two I'd prefer to "branch out" into. My Mastergrade Gundams are great; but with most of them (Turn A and Unicorn especially) I get the distinct feeling that these are not made to play with - pose yes, look cool yes, display yes, photograph yes - but ultimately not really play with...

Mind you - I am not talking "throw around on the carpet and smash play" - but rather photograph for comics play...

Meanwhile, my Highgrade Gundams seem more play worthy. They are poseable, the joints are tighter and they seem more durable and less fragile.

I'm wondering what to build now...

In the end - this is probably a pointless question, since I'll likely go on to build more MG AND HG sets...

still - would like getting people's feedback.

I know from seeing pictures that some Gundams fit better in MG than in HG (for instance the Gundam Wing Zero MG is mighty fine and in HG scale it just wouldn't work so well).

On the other hand, all of the Gundam OOs came out as HGs - given how streamlined their design is - this isn't surprising, nor necessarily bad. I can't really see how making them MG would make them any better.

On the other hand - something like Unicorn in HG scale would probably be impossible given all the small panels in the transformation...

What say all of you?

Pete

This question is difficult to answer because the quality, detail, and durability of all kits (regardless of grade) have improved over the years. I will attempt to answer though :) . Because the high-grades are normally smaller (1/144 scale), they are better suited for what you define as playability and stuff like posing them for photos. They are also cheaper so the loss is less if they do get damaged. Of course, as you have already pointed out, the high grades don't have the spectacular level of detailing that MG's do, in fact most of them come without decals and are stickers only.

> However, it is possible to build and paint a HG like you would a MG and make it look absolutely fabulous... but then you won't want to play with it because you might scratch all the surface detail work you put into it.

> Or, you could just do a plain out of box build with no paint or other time consuming activities... but then they won't look as nice XD.

So bottom line to me is that even HG's are meant to be display-onry models despite their lower cost and level of detail. If you want stuff to pla... er.. I mean engage in simulated combat physics, then buy some of the Robot Damashii figures that are coming out - they look great and are technically still toys.

Edited by Ghost Train

Well - ok - I should specify that I only buy and plan on getting kits made currently - newest/newer versions of everything - so I'm not going to have the "well this kit is from 1992" problem...

Still - yeah - I was thinking about the Damashii line...but truth be told - I personally find Gundams to be COMPLETELY boring...unless they are built.

The robot is just so...err...well...dull - as such - the only thing that makes it interesting is all of the detail, the internal frames the...hm...I guess I just answered my own question, eh?

But seriously - I find Gundams to be just "throw away" robots. They don't transform, they are all pretty homogenous, they are your classic "real robot" and as such I just don't find the idea of having them as "action toys" - no matter how well made - appealing.

I prefer the detailed model approach because it enhances their realism.

Guess I'll just stick to that then.

Meaning pretty much MGs...sigh...

Pete

I agree with you Pete. Because they are mostly static, more often I prefer Valkyries :wub: . As of late I find myself building a gundam not so much because I like the design, but because the process of building the kits is fun. I have achieved Nirvana. Ok, jk, maybe not. But yea, it sure is a fun but time and resource consuming hobby.

I tend to think of completed kits more like "really nice looking statues of robots." that sit nicely on a shelf.