Bandai 1/60 DX VF-25 transformable toy thread

Ewwwwwwwwwwww.

Check out the intake on Alto's Gerwalk Mode.

They're literally being ripped from the frame with that A-stance.

I'm sorta missing Yamato's intuitive knee extension and swivel system.

That's just for the wider than norm A-Stance? I honetly don't have a problem with that, the legs are supposed to be able to do that imo. (canon)

but it would be nice of course to get a better width without having the intakes detach from the main.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Ewww, it's just got color now, it's the same as the craptastic prototype. Nothing got fixed except now there's color and a black background.

-Legs are still not fitted the way they should be in fighter mode with a big gap.

-Chunky legs that hang too low.

-It has way more of a gullet than the Yamato YF-19.

-Nasty spread-leg stance in gerwalk.

-Still has the large gap between the shield and arm.

-Overly long and extended ankles (that won't make up for the squatness).

-Still slump shouldered.

-Still overly large chest.

-Hip/crotch placement still making it look squat.

-Gunpod still looks too thin.

-Stickered nose sensors = lame.

Ewww, it's just got color now, it's the same as the craptastic prototype. Nothing got fixed except now there's color and a black background.

Plus Jarrod's "Bandai" model VF-25 looks better than the toy.

The toy and model were developed at the same time by the same company so... how can the design of leg, ankles, and feet be different?

First bit is not a bash but an honest question.

The bash: We can not see the landing gear so what is Bandai trying to hide!!!!

Oh look,There it is again, Malice in my own shadow.

Yamato is proud of their landing gears. :p I always complained how they had front box art with landing gear down (fixed it before the YF-21 release box.) Now they show all the front boxes with landing gear up. :D win!

We'll get some more pics along the way, pre-order cancellation is still on the cards.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

the gullet on this thing isn't half as bad as that vomit inducing thing on the YF-19. the sculpt of the 25 is overall about as shitty as the YF-19 (and I didn't buy that one as a result, though I never liked the 19 as much as I do the 25)

Well I'll be damned! O_O

Now THAT is more like it! I'd say that is pretty much the best rendition of the 1/60 VF-25 yet!

Congrats Bandai, you've converted me into a believer. XD

Or rather the only rendition of the 1/60 VF-25. And its bad.

Am I the only person that thinks that Ozma's head looks horrible on both the model and the toy? In the Anime it does not bother me.

Edit for propers englished.

Nope...i think it looks flattened on the toy. The model....doesn't look too bad.

-Legs are still not fitted the way they should be in fighter mode with a big gap.

-Chunky legs that hang too low.

-Nasty spread-leg stance in gerwalk.

-Still has the large gap between the shield and arm.

-Overly long and extended ankles (that won't make up for the squatness).

-Still slump shouldered.

-Still overly large chest.

-Hip/crotch placement still making it look squat.

-Gunpod still looks too thin.

Agreed on all points. The damn thing isn't fixed at all from the prototype pics.

Comparison shots: (thx to evanrue of lowyat forums)

From left to right: Bandai Model, Art, Bandai Toy

bnd.gif

The toy obviously has alot of proportions issues. To those who think its awesome and looks better in the final pics, good for you. I for one am very disappointed. :(

Edited by wolfx

Doubt it, I see hinges where the intake area meets the gullet, and the gullet area can hide internal hinges.

I think that you're right that the gullet pops out in gerwalk but it's still freaking huge in fighter mode.

I love the comparison pictures in similar poses.

The toy is thick, slouchy, and squat.

And yes the landing bay door hinges are an eye-sore as well.

The essence of the VF-25 just isn't there. It's as if Bandai just went through the motions of making a VF-25 toy. It's nowhere near as bad as the old 1/65 M7 toys, but I can see more in common with those than what it should have turned out to be. They could have done a whole lot more. That it's where Yamato was almost ten years ago is really really sad on Bandai's part (whether it be through them not caring or whether it be through a choice to purposefully make it this way).

I would have liked somewhat it if it had retained some leanness to it and had the hips/crotch emplacement done correctly to not make it so dumpy.

I think the gullet on the VF-25 is still larger than on the Yamato YF-19 (the YF-19's isn't large enough to bother me). It's like Ranka's bulge at Sheryl's concert, disturbing... :ph34r:

Don't like the Ozma head either.

response to Graham's post ahead: The VF-25 is supposed to have a large gullet, but damn the one on the toy is HUGE!

Edited by Sumdumgai

No one else has a problem with the landing gear bay door hinges on the legs?? It's a freaking eye sore for me. Yamato managed to hide their hinges I can't see why Bandai can't.

maybe because Yamato bay door hinges tend to suck.

maybe because Yamato bay door hinges tend to suck.

yeah, who needs hide away hinges when you can just paste them to the outside? :rolleyes:

oh, and anime accurate, who needs that? Best just to tack on a piece of plastic outside of some castor wheels on a peg. Nice and durable.

Edited by eugimon

Or rather the only rendition of the 1/60 VF-25. And its bad.

Nope...i think it looks flattened on the toy. The model....doesn't look too bad.

Agreed on all points. The damn thing isn't fixed at all from the prototype pics.

Comparison shots: (thx to evanrue of lowyat forums)

From left to right: Bandai Model, Art, Bandai Toy

The toy obviously has alot of proportions issues. To those who think its awesome and looks better in the final pics, good for you. I for one am very disappointed. :(

Seeing the comparison pics i have to agree with you all now, i guess if i have actually watched the series i would have spotted it out quicker, but those comparison shots just show it all. wtf with the hips!?

...oh, and anime accurate, who needs that? Best just to tack on a piece of plastic outside of some castor wheels on a peg. Nice and durable.

Aaaarraggghhh!!! makes me want to blehhhhhhhhh

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

yeah, who needs hide away hinges when you can just paste them to the outside? :rolleyes:

oh, and anime accurate, who needs that? Best just to tack on a piece of plastic outside of some castor wheels on a peg. Nice and durable.

who needs hinges that can actually hold the doors shut (not any of the 1/48's I own, aparently); or keep them from flopping around once they're open (*cough* YF21 *cough*)

it's all about anime accuracy, if the person who buy's it has to fabricate locking mechanisms out of styrene and superglue to keep the doors closed in fighter mode, that's their problem. :rolleyes:

who needs hinges that can actually hold the doors shut (not any of the 1/48's I own, aparently); or keep them from flopping around once they're open (*cough* YF21 *cough*)

it's all about anime accuracy, if the person who buy's it has to fabricate locking mechanisms out of styrene and superglue to keep the doors closed in fighter mode, that's their problem. :rolleyes:

I guess your mileage may vary, I prefer my toy of something to actually look like that something and not just bear a passing resemblance.

The again, the bay doors on my various valks seem to open and close just fine. ::shrug::

The robot mode looks ok despite looking like it's legs are set too high.

Model still kicks its ass!

But the durability will probably be where the toy makes up for it.

I'll wait for reviews and mre info on armored pack. I might end up getting ozuma only and if prices come down try to get the others. But right now the model kits look more tempting to me.

2 months eh? Wonder if bandai will eventually reveal something changed in that time?

Huh, I've never had any problems with any of my landing bay doors on any of my Yamato valkyries, including the ones you mentioned anime528k. All of mine remain nice and tight.

Hopefully, for the people still getting the VF-25 toy, Bandai will have put some better landing gear on it. At least they didn't do like what they did on the VF-19kai toy, which had the hatch that supports the nosecone in battroid mode double as the front landing gear...

We have yet to see how the quality on these toys are too. :ph34r:

LOL.....wins my award for funniest post of the day.

Graham

Huh, I've never had any problems with any of my landing bay doors on any of my Yamato valkyries, including the ones you mentioned anime528k. All of mine remain nice and tight.

Hopefully, for the people still getting the VF-25 toy, Bandai will have put some better landing gear on it. At least they didn't do like what they did on the VF-19kai toy, which had the hatch that supports the nosecone in battroid mode double as the front landing gear...

We have yet to see how the quality on these toys are too. :ph34r:

maybe I'm just unlucky, but the metal nose doors on all my 1/48's have become floppy and tend to fall open whenever the thing gets moved, and on several I've had the doors on the back legs refuse to stay closed. (those were the one's had to modify)

as for the 21, the doors stay closed fine, but they flop around like crazy when they're open. and the lack of a lock on the rear gears annoys me endlessly (they've spontaneously collapsed while sitting on my desk a couple of times)

Haven't posted much on this, but now that pics are up, I'll chime in. First, based on the pics, the prototype actually looks longer in the torso area to me, making it look leaner and closer to the lineart than the final (probably perspective). In neither pic is the crotch angled as much as the lineart, which changes the look and profile of the thing noticeably, as well as the much pointed out too-high attachment point for the legs. The ankles are a tad bit longer than in the art, but it's quite negligible to me. The main gear doors' hinges do look terrible...I'm surprised no one mentioned it earlier, as they stuck out to me immediately, along with the shamefully lazy landing gear. The low position of the legs in fighter is very noticeable, too; it breaks up the smoothness of the upper fuselage too much and just looks less than good. I think Bandai made some definite tradeoffs to make a more durable toy than Yamato makes. I'm not sure what the pricepoint of the VF-25 is expected to be (same as typical Yammies, i.e. abt $200 USD, or a little lower, catering to a larger younger, poorer fanbase?) I think this is a good toy to sell around $70-80; it's a good toy, by which I mean a high end toy but still something you could buy for your 13 year old cousin to play with. Graham, you're more in the know than I, but that's my feeling about this as I imagine Bandai wants to test the waters and they're hoping this will be on toy shelves at Toys-R-Us (at least in Japan) to reach a larger consumer base. That seems like good business to me rather than making a much more intricate, nearly model-quality collector's toy that only fans with a little too much disposable income, such as myself, can afford. I don't doubt that Bandai can or could make something on par with Yamato; I just don't think that's their business goal. Then again, I just ate a big dinner so in a couple hours I really will be full of sh!t.

To be fair, I'm not as enamored with the VF-25 as I am with Kawamori's other designs. The VF-27, although very similar, looks better to me as well as the VF-171. I don't like the crotch design, and I think the lower legs are too curvy, making them look more like folded robot legs in fighter mode than most of the other valks. I think the legs look fine in bot mode, but I don't like the way they look viewed from underneath in fighter. I guess the same could be said about the SV-51, but there's just something so awesome about that design..it's prob my favorite valk, followed by the Zero and the 19. It's so ugly it's beautiful, and very unique. As for the VF-25, I'll hold out for reviews before I commit, but I'll be more excited when Bandai announces they'll be making a VF-171.

Thanks for posting the comparison pics. I seriously doubt that they will fix the landing gears. It seems that they have fixed nothing else on this toy, so to expect them to fix the landing gears is somewhat unrealistic expectations. The crotch and the legs in fighter mode may be the killer for me. They are so obviously off it isn't funny.

maybe I'm just unlucky, but the metal nose doors on all my 1/48's have become floppy and tend to fall open whenever the thing gets moved, and on several I've had the doors on the back legs refuse to stay closed. (those were the one's had to modify)

as for the 21, the doors stay closed fine, but they flop around like crazy when they're open. and the lack of a lock on the rear gears annoys me endlessly (they've spontaneously collapsed while sitting on my desk a couple of times)

even so, please show me where I should glue strips of styrene or apply nail polish to the DX to fix any of the myriad design problems.

Urkel-ish proportions? If you're refering to the original Kawamori's bot mode, I agree with you. Bandai's 1/60 bot mode seem more heroic looking altho inaccurate.

no, he's referring to the DX's long ass ankle extensions, an obvious plot by bandai to try and hide the fact that the legs are short and stumpy.

edit: the thing is, if the legs were attached at the proper point on the hips, the legs would be the proper length.

Edited by eugimon