The Deaths of Macross

wolfx

Yeah, i know. and this is the point where i give myself a proverbial pat on the head. I was a kid when i watched this, and i watched it after Transformers. yes, TF left me scarred and with the understanding (a reasonable and realistic one) that even the greatest hero can die. So by the time i watched GIJOE, Duke's death (while still shocking) already felt right. and when it was announced, rather nonchalantly, that Duke was "out of the coma", even my kid-brain let out a "WTF" and dismissed it as a crappy cop-out. even as a kid, i knew he was dead for real, and that declaring him alive was a mere after-thought (sigh. from an optimist to a cynic kid. such is the effect of Prime dying).

I can't compare it to Roy or Kakizaki dying coz, important though they may be, they're not the main character in the series, as opposed to prime and duke. But if they had killed off hikaru, misa or minmay, i think my parents would have committed me to a mental institute right there and then. :lol:

Its an interesting comment that you have made about being able to spot censorship as a kid. I was often able to do the same thing with some Japanese programs when I was young. Star Blazers/Space Cruiser Yamato was the main offender and even that left much of the violence in.

The funniest one I found out about years later was when a Gamilon Commander was going to ram his vessel into the Argo. In the English dub he yelled out just before the crash "We're going to crash into them!!" implying that the collision was an accident but then I found out much later on that in the Japanese version the commander yells "Long Live Leader Desslock (Desslar??)" indicating that it was a Kamikaze run. I thought that it was interesting that the censors attitude was that it was ok to show the Gamilon cruiser crashing and all on board dying, just as long as the kiddies believed it was an accident and not suicide.

I think that often people censor these programs and just think that the "dumb kids" will not notice. This was especially true at times for the series Monkey!, when I could just tell in some sequences that bits were missing.

Taksraven

I nominate anyone standing/sitting on the shore of Lake Global for Sharon Apple's armistace gig. Surely someone would have been swamped and drowned when the SDF-1 came thundering back down.

Speaking of the Sharon Apple concert, Marj's leaping off the SDF after blowing his wad while molesting Sharon's cpu tower has got to rank pretty high.