The Deaths of Macross

wolfx

There are many casualties in the world of Macross. Some pretty brutal, some pretty sad, some pretty pointless, and some pretty GAR. List your favourites here. Mine:

Most violent:

1.) civilian who gets his head decapitated by falling pillar - DYRL: in SDF-1 during the final battle.

2.) falling torso of assasin - M Frontier: his lower half got eaten/decapitated by vajra in ep 20.

Most hilarious:

- Frontier security forces got death-hugged by vajra - M Frontier: He gave out a girly scream as the Vajra hugged him. The badly animated segment makes it funnier as it looked like he did nothing much to stop the vajra from hugging him.

Most GAR:

- Michel... :( - M Frontier: "Klan...anata ga aishite....."

- Gigil - M7: Died protecting Sivil. Pretty GAR to me.

Most pointless:

- Ramaria - M Frontier : "AUGHHHH!!" - eh ramaria who?

- Physica (sp?) - M7: Death flag waved...then died in same episode...uhhh what's the point?

I always felt bad for the poor guy blown away by Hikaru when he crashed at the end of episode 1 of SDFM...

And the Zentradi whose head got blown up by Max near the beginning of DYRL (especially in the uncut Clash of the Bionoids dub...where he actually lets out a half-hearted yell. :lol: )

As for major characters...well, DYRL Bodolzaa is still the best, isn't he?

I always felt bad for the poor guy blown away by Hikaru when he crashed at the end of episode 1 of SDFM...

Which guy and how he got blown away?

And the Zentradi whose head got blown up by Max near the beginning of DYRL (especially in the uncut Clash of the Bionoids dub...where he actually lets out a half-hearted yell. :lol: )

Someone made a model diorama of that and its featued in one of the hobby magazine. :lol:

For violent:

I must mention DYRL Miria punching into a N-j-ger, the zentraedi inside opens his eyes realizing he's not dead. And then she blows his face off. :) Nice gruesome death. Followed by the not-nice stepping on the head of a dead (or made-very-dead) zentraedi.

Gotta love DYRL Max depressurizing the poor bastard zentraedi's helmet after having ripped him from a regult.

And... I'm too tired to think of other deaths not already mentioned.

Hmm, let see.

Most violent:

1) Death by holes on the face (Yup, thats include Ivanov,Bodolza and the Zentraedi in DYRL who got facelift by Miriya and Max).

2) Zentran dude who got his head crushed under Miriya Q-rau.

Most pathetic death:

1). Nora, she got vaporized by birdhuman since she doesn't pay attention.

2). Gilliam, since he tried to die as a GARlock, but failed and ended up in soylent green.

Most GAR:

1) Guld

2) DYRL Fokker

3) Michel

(The reason can be found on the other thread)

Shoji Kawamori, death by Valkyrie engine blast.

Now, for me the most GAR deaths on Macross were also the most violent and most memorable: Guld and Michel. All things considered, neither the decapitated guy in DYRL, the failed sniper in Frontier, nor Ivanov in Zero really suffered a long time. Guld and Michel... well, they were conscious enough time to really grasp what was going on and still kept on going (besides, there are few things more shiver inducing that watching an eyeball pop by sheer pressure).

It's a real "go through the scene frame-by-frame or you miss it" bit. It's IMMEDIATELY after Hikaru crashes through Studio Nue. He uses the foot thrusters to brake, and they show some poor schmuck getting knocked off the screen.

EDIT: *looks up* Dammit, it IS Kawamori, isn't it? That's sad. He came to Ataria, watched the Angel Birds, and was probably laughing at Hikaru's fan racer antics like everyone else. Little did he know that that same hotshot pilot would kill him a few hours later...

Edited by Gubaba

in DYRL, Kawamori (the guy who was trying to approach Minmay for her autograph) also got crushed under that falling Zentraedi armor in the lounge scene after Minmay's concert evacuation.

Makes me wonder, how many times Kawamori got himself killed on his own anime? <_<

My favorite is the poor fishy that Misa and Hikaru skewer when they find earth in DYRL. Poor guy lived through the bombardment from the Zentradi, gets horribily disfigured, but keeps on living, but the poor bastard got caught but the last 2 people living on the planet. Talk about bad fracking luck :wacko:

My favorite is the poor fishy that Misa and Hikaru skewer when they find earth in DYRL. Poor guy lived through the bombardment from the Zentradi, gets horribily disfigured, but keeps on living, but the poor bastard got caught but the last 2 people living on the planet. Talk about bad fracking luck :wacko:

You know...I never thought about that before. :lol: Poor fishy...

Although I have to admit that I always felt bad for the Orguss-dinosaur-looking things on Rax. Gamlin, Mylene, and Basara work so hard not to hurt them, and then the planet just gets blown up.

Tragic, huh...?

You know...I never thought about that before. :lol: Poor fishy...

Although I have to admit that I always felt bad for the Orguss-dinosaur-looking things on Rax. Gamlin, Mylene, and Basara work so hard not to hurt them, and then the planet just gets blown up.

Tragic, huh...?

like those poor fool zentraedis over at gallia4...

or the giant panties...

Oh, I'm sure Sheryl took those...so at least one pair of macro-dainties made it out alive. All the Meltrandi can fight over them now, and Elmo can sell tickets for the privilege of watching... ^_^

Back to the topic, though...you know who else I always felt bad for? That soldier in the Zentradi Rain of Death who jumps on the little girl to protect her. Doomed, doomed, doomed...but ya gotta admire his attempt.

Oh, I'm sure Sheryl took those...so at least one pair of macro-dainties made it out alive. All the Meltrandi can fight over them now, and Elmo can sell tickets for the privilege of watching... ^_^

Back to the topic, though...you know who else I always felt bad for? That soldier in the Zentradi Rain of Death who jumps on the little girl to protect her. Doomed, doomed, doomed...but ya gotta admire his attempt.

You know. I'm always reminded of those old 'Duck and Cover" cartoons the US used to make, back in what? The 50's?Great attempt, but like you said, it was instant fail.I felt bad for those unlucky citizens on Frontier, that got sucked out into the vacume of space in the first early vajra fights.What a way go. :unsure:

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Though we never saw those pilots, I'd like to give mention to the YF-19 pilots killed or critically injured prior to Isamu being brought it. The YF-19 has quite the kill count! :lol:

I bet the original VF-1X prototypes were also have most of its pilot as injured/killed.

I bet the original VF-1X prototypes were also have most of its pilot as injured/killed.

I think you mean VF-X, The VF-1X is the enhanced and refitted VF-1a/j/s's that still exist in the established colony's of the NUNS.

VF-1X-Plus

NP-BP-10

Edited by LordDremen

For some reason, that scene is one that has been burned in my memory. It was one of those little background touches that makes the events even more powerful.

I'd say my favorite most pointless manly death would be Kakizaki. Sure he wasnt the best pilot, maybe hes not even a good pilot but when it comes to randomly dying for no reason Kakizaki can't be beat. The reason its so manly how he dies is that in both the show and movie you could see him inside the cockpit getting dematerialized or just plain zapped into oblivion, also he was so intent on dying his identifying color was brown (maybe yellowish brown) in the series.

I'd say my favorite most pointless manly death would be Kakizaki. Sure he wasnt the best pilot, maybe hes not even a good pilot but when it comes to randomly dying for no reason Kakizaki can't be beat. The reason its so manly how he dies is that in both the show and movie you could see him inside the cockpit getting dematerialized or just plain zapped into oblivion, also he was so intent on dying his identifying color was brown (maybe yellowish brown) in the series.

Personally, I think that the effect was achieved better in the Robotech edit, with the vision of the fighter breaking apart (the sight of the cockpit window shattering really helped to emphasise the horror) and Richard Epcars ( a great voice actor) blood curdling scream over the top of it. ("IT'S TOO LATE RICK, I CAN'T AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!")

Many years later I did see the original Macross version of his death and to me it was nowhere near as horrifying.

As an early teen, this was an incredibly shocking death to see during the Saturday morning cartoons at 8am (clearly the Ten Network was not reviewing the tapes of the series themselves, otherwise it would have been cut).

The death was also a real shock because it was in the episode right after the one featuring Roy's death. I was not expecting another major character death and especially so soon after the last one.

The death was also a real shock because it was in the episode right after the one featuring Roy's death. I was not expecting another major character death and especially so soon after the last one.

What's more shocking is the horrendous way he was animated post-mortem. :lol: man, that ep's animation really sucked. :p

Personally, I think that the effect was achieved better in the Robotech edit, with the vision of the fighter breaking apart (the sight of the cockpit window shattering really helped to emphasise the horror) and Richard Epcars ( a great voice actor) blood curdling scream over the top of it. ("IT'S TOO LATE RICK, I CAN'T AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!")

Many years later I did see the original Macross version of his death and to me it was nowhere near as horrifying.

As an early teen, this was an incredibly shocking death to see during the Saturday morning cartoons at 8am (clearly the Ten Network was not reviewing the tapes of the series themselves, otherwise it would have been cut).

Hmmm...I haven't seen the Robotech version since 1985 or thereabouts...I may have to youtube it.

Back at that time, I figured that Roy and Kakizaki were both voice by the same actor in the original Japanese version, and that he had wanted to quit...which forced the creators to kill off both of the characters.

I was completely wrong, of course, but I still am rather proud of my youthful theorizing ability.

And even in Macross, I thought his death was rather horrible. Whereas DYRL almost played it as a joke...

Who could blame you. American cartoons were SOOOO sanitised then that ANY death in a cartoon would have been deemed tragic and shocking. But which cartoon of the era could top Transformes The Movie in terms of tragedy? Prime is a no brainer....Ironhide(or was it Prowl?) had smoke and flames coming out of his mouth and optics....and there were the random robots that got melted in Unicron's digestive juices and eaten by Piranha things.

F*** YOU HASBRO.....you made me scarred for life. :(

What's more shocking is the horrendous way he was animated post-mortem. :lol: man, that ep's animation really sucked. :p

Yeah, it did suck. In fact the animation for that entire episode after he died was terrible. Not a nice tribute to any character.

Taksraven

Who could blame you. American cartoons were SOOOO sanitised then that ANY death in a cartoon would have been deemed tragic and shocking. But which cartoon of the era could top Transformes The Movie in terms of tragedy? Prime is a no brainer....Ironhide(or was it Prowl?) had smoke and flames coming out of his mouth and optics....and there were the random robots that got melted in Unicron's digestive juices and eaten by Piranha things.

F*** YOU HASBRO.....you made me scarred for life. :(

YES!! still remember it. i think it was the first time i actually cried my eyes out over something i watched. i mean, that's Optimus f*&king Prime that died there. even the Ironhide and Ratchet violently going down (shocking enough as it is) was not enough to prepare me for that one. as far as cartoon deaths go, i think that movie takes the cake during its time. :p

And then i followed it up with the GI JOE movie where Duke gets stabbed and dies (GASP! What'shappening to my cartoons?!)....

only to find out that he was alive... (booo!!)

Doc: yeah we won! we won! oh by the way Duke's awake from his coma. (jeez, i didn't even know he was in a coma) we won! we won!!

Everyone: Yo Joe!!

Man, that sucked. what a cop-out. <_< i never looked at GI JOE the same way again after that.

OK now back to topic:

Yeah Kakizaki, what a lousy way to go....

Edited by dreamweaver13

YES!! still remember it. i think it was the first time i actually cried my eyes out over something i watched. i mean, that's Optimus f*&king Prime that died there. even the Ironhide and Ratchet violently going down (shocking enough as it is) was not enough to prepare me for that one. as far as cartoon deaths go, i think that movie takes the cake during its time. :p

And then i followed it up with the GI JOE movie where Duke gets stabbed and dies (GASP! What'shappening to my cartoons?!)....

only to find out that he was alive... (booo!!)

Doc: yeah we won! we won! oh by the way Duke's awake from his coma. (jeez, i didn't even know he was in a coma) we won! we won!!

Everyone: Yo Joe!!

Man, that sucked. what a cop-out. <_< i never looked at GI JOE the same way again after that.

OK now back to topic:

Yeah Kakizaki, what a lousy way to go....

Check it out....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Joe:_The_Movie

Seems like Hasbro turned into a bunch of scaredy cats after the backlash of Prime's death and made it so "Duke" survived.

We never got G.I. Joe on TV in Aus so the series means nothing to me. I will admit, Sgt. Slaughter is one of the best character names I have ever heard. :lol::lol:

Taksraven

Check it out....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G.I._Joe:_The_Movie

Seems like Hasbro turned into a bunch of scaredy cats after the backlash of Prime's death and made it so "Duke" survived.

We never got G.I. Joe on TV in Aus so the series means nothing to me. I will admit, Sgt. Slaughter is one of the best character names I have ever heard. :lol::lol:

Taksraven

Yeah, i know. and this is the point where i give myself a proverbial pat on the head. I was a kid when i watched this, and i watched it after Transformers. yes, TF left me scarred and with the understanding (a reasonable and realistic one) that even the greatest hero can die. So by the time i watched GIJOE, Duke's death (while still shocking) already felt right. and when it was announced, rather nonchalantly, that Duke was "out of the coma", even my kid-brain let out a "WTF" and dismissed it as a crappy cop-out. even as a kid, i knew he was dead for real, and that declaring him alive was a mere after-thought (sigh. from an optimist to a cynic kid. such is the effect of Prime dying).

I can't compare it to Roy or Kakizaki dying coz, important though they may be, they're not the main character in the series, as opposed to prime and duke. But if they had killed off hikaru, misa or minmay, i think my parents would have committed me to a mental institute right there and then. :lol: