Freespace 2!

Check these out!

The FS source code was released awhile ago but we are just now using it to it's full potential!

This is a link to the game's site (now dead), you can get some screenshots of the out-of-the-box game for comparison:

www.freespace2.com

Here's the thread with SPECULAR HIGHLIGHTING! (shiny ships ;)):

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/for...?threadid=16686

And here's something for all you anime dudes...some rudimentary cell shading!

http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/for...?threadid=16893

Last, but not least, the first mega-campaing released for Freespace 2....Inferno. Be afraid, for it is coming for you (this mod is compatable with the specular highlitghting exe, so try it out! ;)):

http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/inferno/

Featuring at least 100 new ships (I don't have the official count, but only ONE SHIP remains from the original FS2), new weapons, new effects, and an awesome story, this campaign will, quite simply, rock. your. world.

EDIT: Stay tuned for the upcoming releases of the next two chapters in this campaign! I don't know what the third will be, but I know one will be told from the Special Operations Command viewpoint!

Edited by Unknown Target

Didn't somebody once post a rumor that the Freespace crew was working on a new X-Wing game for PC? Any news on that, or was that rumor debunked?

It was I. It wasn't a rumor. Voalition is working on the new X Wing game for Lucasarts. For some reason, Lucasarts opted to not use Totally Games on their Star Wars simulation franchises..... TG is currently working on "Secret Weapons over Normandy" game for Lucasarts.

It was I. It wasn't a rumor. Voalition is working on the new X Wing game for Lucasarts.

You have a link or something? Their web page hasn't been updated in eons.

I wish I had. That piece of info was something I picked up while going through ignPC mail bag. Someone asked about a possible Freespace sequel, and the editor blurted out something about Volition working on XWing now.

I remember something on gamespot too. I think it is one of those "unannounced" annoucements.

Just download the exe + (maybe) the new launcher, unzip the textures to your /data/maps directory, and the exe + launcher to your FS2 root directory, and play :D

Be warned, tho, it doesn't work for EVERYBODY yet :(

EDIT: here's the direct link to the exe + the textures (one zip file):

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwa.../fs2_open_s.zip

Edited by Unknown Target

Wow, that looks really nice. I've played the first one, loved it. I assume I need to have Freespace 2 and then download the improvement files? Anyone know where I can find a copy? Apparently Freespace 2 is a hard to find game. They go for around $50 on Ebay. Dammit, I saw it once at Software Etc for $20 like 2 years ago, told myself to pick it up later.

Also, I remember my brother telling me something about some guys doing a total conversion of Freespace or Freespace 2 into Wing Commander. Now thats a game that should get remade. Only the original Wing Commander and Wing Commander 2 Vengence of the Kilrathi plus the secret missions as well. Those two were the best, though I've heard good things about Prophecy.

Wow, that looks really nice. I've played the first one, loved it. I assume I need to have Freespace 2 and then download the improvement files? Anyone know where I can find a copy? Apparently Freespace 2 is a hard to find game. They go for around $50 on Ebay. Dammit, I saw it once at Software Etc for $20 like 2 years ago, told myself to pick it up later.

Also, I remember my brother telling me something about some guys doing a total conversion of Freespace or Freespace 2 into Wing Commander. Now thats a game that should get remade. Only the original Wing Commander and Wing Commander 2 Vengence of the Kilrathi plus the secret missions as well. Those two were the best, though I've heard good things about Prophecy.

Freespace 2 shouldn't be hard to find if you know where to look. :ph34r:

Freespace 2 was completed and released weay back in 1999. However, due to Interplay's stupidity and reluctance to advertise the game, it didn't sell well, and was cancelled.

Years later, after continued community support, VOLITION (the game's developers) released the source, not Interplay. Also, you can download an incomplete version of Freespace 2 off of Home of the Underdogs (a link is available on the front page of one of the main community sites, hard light productions, www.3dap.com/hlp).

Also, the Wing Commander TC is called Battlegroup Serpent. The demo will be released in about a month, I think. I did some voice-acting for it :D

Ahh yes, Freespace 2. I played it to death, and I think, if this pack works, I'll play it again to death.

To me, this was the only game that had deadly capital ships. Many other space sims (Star Wars etc...) capital ships were just really big floating targets that you got medals for. Not here. Beam weapons, flak turrets, and good old laser cannons protected the ship.

Not to mention, friendly fire isn't so friendly if you get in the way of those nasty anti-capital ship beam weapons when they're firing...

WOOOOO! Time to reinstall FS2!!!!

My voice appeared in Silent Threat, the huge addon for FS1. There was a mission or two in Silent Threat from a campaign I voiced ages and ages and ages ago. That was quite the cool though, to know that I was a part of something big like Silent Threat.

I got into Freespace 'cause I was a Descent fan. It was a natural. Of course, I'm still sad that Descent died at Descent 3... No, I don't consider Red Faction a continuation of the Descent series since it in no way is (other than it started as Descent 4 and changed).

Vostok 7

Huh? How come? If I remember well... Volition had nothing to do with the Decent series, how the heck did their game proced Decent 4? <_<

Because Volition and Outrage were trading off duities. Parallax did Descent 1 and Descent 2, then they split into Outrage and Volition. Volition did Descent Freespace and Freespace 2 while Outrage worked on Descent 3. Then, it became Voliton's turn to do Descent 4, but they decided to basically kill the series and make RF. Outrage is now basically dead as far as I know. Last I heard, Volition was going to release what they had done with D4 to the public to let the Descent community develop their own D4.

It's been awhile since I heard anything though.

Vostok 7

Huh? How come? If I remember well... Volition had nothing to do with the Decent series, how the heck did their game proced Decent 4? <_<

Because Volition and Outrage were trading off duities. Parallax did Descent 1 and Descent 2, then they split into Outrage and Volition. Volition did Descent Freespace and Freespace 2 while Outrage worked on Descent 3. Then, it became Voliton's turn to do Descent 4, but they decided to basically kill the series and make RF. Outrage is now basically dead as far as I know. Last I heard, Volition was going to release what they had done with D4 to the public to let the Descent community develop their own D4.

It's been awhile since I heard anything though.

Vostok 7

Whatever. Volition could very well work on DC4 as they have released nothing but crap since FS2. RF sucked, Summoner is a mediocre series, and so are both respective sequels.

Edited by Abombz!!