Macross Frontier Episode 21 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 20  

222 members have voted

1. 1. Rating???????

• Positive (Faster Klan, Kill! Kill!)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Kill Klan! Kill Klan!)

The world does not revolve around Alto for her anymore. She is moving on to more important things. By the time Brera kicked Alto to the curb, she already realized there was no point in asking Alto to go with her. She merely said she *had wanted* to ask him to go with her. Her attitude seemed totally fatalistic, suggesting that she believes this will be a one way trip. "I wanted to be with you forever" seemed like shinju-speak to me. If you want to criticize her for that, I'd buy it, but my take is that she wasn't really expecting him to go anyway since she thinks he is in love with Sheryl.

Then why call him in the middle of the night/ And show him Ai-kun, whome, his breathen just killed Micheal? I'm sorry.Although I loved episode 21, I felt she flubed up again, and was trying to hard to be mature, but she came off childish to me. Like i said, I don't hate ranka, but i am dissapointed with her character right now.Hopefully episode 22 will change that. ^_^

The world does not revolve around Alto for her anymore. She is moving on to more important things. By the time Brera kicked Alto to the curb, she already realized there was no point in asking Alto to go with her. She merely said she *had wanted* to ask him to go with her. Her attitude seemed totally fatalistic, suggesting that she believes this will be a one way trip. "I wanted to be with you forever" seemed like shinju-speak to me. If you want to criticize her for that, I'd buy it, but my take is that she wasn't really expecting him to go anyway since she thinks he is in love with Sheryl.

I think you're right on this point. Alto didn't give her any reason to think otherwise. it's not like Alto gave her Hikaru's "it's not what you think" spiel.

Then why call him in the middle of the night/ And show him Ai-kun, whome, his breathen just killed Micheal?

She called him in the middle of the night to give a final (futile) shot at trying to win Alto over, but probably more so to say good-bye. Was this childish? Yes. But she is a love-sick child, so I see nothing unusual about her actions. I was actually expecting her to reveal Ai-kun right off the bat, but the way it turned out, I wasn't so sure that she intended for Ai-kun to show up when he did. Ranka wanted some quiet time with Alto, and Ai-kun showing up was kind of a Crying Game moment for them.

P.S.

As I stated previously, Ai-kun has done harm to nobody. Killing Ai-kun for the death of Michel would be acting like those guys who murdered Wagar Hasan who was cooking burgers in a grocery store "in retaliation" for the WTC attack. Thinking that "all of them are the same" may let a person rest easy at night after a day of butchery, but it doesn't make it right.

Edited by yaiba

She called him in the middle of the night to give a final (futile) shot at trying to win Alto over, but probably more so to say good-bye. I was actually expecting her to reveal Ai-kun right off the bat, but the way it turned out, I wasn't so sure that she intended for Ai-kun to show up when he did. Ranka wanted some quiet time with Alto, and Ai-kun showing up was kind of a Crying Game moment for them.

You make a good point, and I agree, but I still dislike what she did to Alto, and then leaving, with Brera.I'm hoping that episode 22 will show me her decsion to leave was a right one.

Did Anybody get the sense that Brera just wanted to kick alto's *ss? I would....

I mean he comes running in and downs Alto. Maybe he was listening to the conversation, maybe not. But damn, he gon do him like that? Bout time someone smacked up that homosexual crossdresser.

I know what he was thinking....."I'd wish that Alto would act up so i can teach him who's your daddy....Ooooh!!! He got a gun!!!!"

I mean if Sheryl kissed me and all that....I'd be on that Sh*t like white on rice in a milk cup on a paper plate in a snowstorm....then the youtube sex scandal. Man It would be K-fed pt.2 Cha-Ching!!!!!!

Now i got respect for that cyborg idiot now.......um yeah o.O

Did Anybody get the sense that Brera just wanted to kick alto's *ss? I would....

he hasn't shown any indication of this (since he uses his cyborg-face all the time), but i did notice that he seems to be bothered (or confused or wondering) that Ranka sings her best when she's singing "to" alto (during her concert in episode 19). read into that what you will. :p

I mean he comes running in and downs Alto. Maybe he was listening to the conversation, maybe not. But damn, he gon do him like that? Bout time someone smacked up that homosexual crossdresser.

I know what he was thinking....."I'd wish that Alto would act up so i can teach him who's your daddy....Ooooh!!! He got a gun!!!!"

I mean if Sheryl kissed me and all that....I'd be on that Sh*t like white on rice in a milk cup on a paper plate in a snowstorm....then the youtube sex scandal. Man It would be K-fed pt.2 Cha-Ching!!!!!!

Now i got respect for that cyborg idiot now.......um yeah o.O

I have no idea what you just said. :blink:

Alto's reason for being in the series is so he can see through the acting of all the shallow characters in the show.

He probably already knows Brera is just doing his job as body guard for the spoilt ranka brat. :D I don't think he takes it personally. Yeah he is pissed that he is better at protecting duty, but its more the idea he has limits which the other guy doesn't, than due to jealousy that ranka is impressed by his showing off. I think he sees ranka as like a little sister. But maybe I haven't been paying much attention..

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

haha i'm glad to see that there's people out there with some sense of humor....

because really....way too serious people should just take some of that funky stuff and fly high like the Vf-25....Oh yeah!!!!

@Skully...Don't get one. No really :o

None of the this Sh*t shouldn't be taken word for word....unless it's on th technology thread.

Hmm after what i said earlier....Maybe Sheryl should dump Alto *ss too. haha

haha i'm glad to see that there's people out there with some sense of humor....

because really....way too serious people should just take some of that funky stuff and fly high like the Vf-25....Oh yeah!!!!

@Skully...Don't get one. No really :o

None of the this Sh*t shouldn't be taken word for word....unless it's on th technology thread.

Hmm after what i said earlier....Maybe Sheryl should dump Alto *ss too. haha

All I know is Alto is going to have to make a choice, or the girls are going to make it for him (seems Ranka already kinda did).

So, after much work dealing with my move to Japan, I've played catch-up and I'm up to the current episode.

About the episodes up to this in general: I'm disappointed overall. I can't really pinpoint one aspect because it's a big mix of things. It feels like the show was moving in place far too long and its affected the overall pacing. While I'm disappointed with it overall, I do love a lot of the individual scenes and elements from episode to episode. The end sequence from ep 20 was great for example and Ozma's "I'm the king of bad motherf...shut your mouth!" moment in episode 17.

As for this episode, the first half was pretty good. The second half just killed me. It was like a culmination of everything I dislike about Ranka. While she, Sheryl, and Alto share the exact same character problems, the way the writers bring her across just throws me into disgusted, infuriated killing rampages. Why must you include spineless, blubbering crybabies as one of your lead characters. Then her resolution in this ep, that comes after a billion misunderstandings and inabilities to talk about anything and ask for help, just peaks the rage-o-meter. Her situation and problems are great but the way the writers wrote her reactions just kill me.

I just hope they can make me not want to choke Ranka by the end of the show. =/

"Die for our 'ship!"

Yeah, I liked this episode, too. Maybe even loved it. Don't see why people have such a problem with it.

Thank you for that informative link! Although the section on MacF, I think, makes the hatred for Ranka and Sheryl seem equal, when I'm not sure that that's really the case...

In a Ranka vs. Sheryl debate on a Macross Frontier forum thread, Ranka gets criticized for being a "barely legal loli moeblob", while Sheryl gets flak for her overly flirty attitude and her somewhat selfish, overbearing personality, even if onscreen, when both are not being rivals to each other about Alto, they have somewhat of a Sempai Kohai relationship.

I have to say, though, that I really like the term "moeblob."

It's not the case due to the disproportionate numbers of their bashers, though in the general terms, it's fine.

Personally, I've always hated the term "moeblob". Especially since it's always misused and brought up only in things like this.

Thank you for that informative link! Although the section on MacF, I think, makes the hatred for Ranka and Sheryl seem equal, when I'm not sure that that's really the case...

It's a Wiki, so if you want to make it "more accurate," you're free to. :) However, the tvtropes.org Wiki is a lot less formal than Wikipedia; they almost encourage a certain level of "wrongness." In the end, it's a matter of opinion, and the discussion is all in good fun. :)

Edited by DeeBot

"Die for our 'ship!"

Yeah, I liked this episode, too. Maybe even loved it. Don't see why people have such a problem with it.

Cool link! very informative.

(now i have a deeper understanding of how people take love pairings too seriously!)

although i'm surprised the original SDFM triangle was not used as an example on that list (or was it? i didn't read after the macross frontier entry). Is it just a matter of the series being too old? if the internet was already in full bloom at the time, i think the original triangle would have its (more than) fair share of "Die for our 'ship" sentiments, either for Misa or Minmay.

OK...OK...PEOPLE before I go on stating my opinions and such my question is HOW MUCH MORE EPISODES DO WE HAVE LEFT, is it 3 or does anyone one know, I hate to say it but I have that feeling that it might, the drama is through the roof and this is why I am seeing it happen.

25th is the last episode. You do the math ;)

Uhm... all good things come to an end?

You know, if they keep flogging and harping it along, it'll turn really, really sucky. Like a bunch of English sitcoms, dramas and sci-fi shows that are on long past their best before date.

Fresh, original, and short. Works most every time.