New to buying Yamato

JGrizzle

Hello all! I read most of the faqs and I also did some searches, but I figured I should just ask a question to save myself some time...eh I guess because I am to lazy to dig through a few pages of posts. I was looking at buying a Yamato valk and I would prefer a Roy with fast packs. I have no idea which one to get which issue or where to buy from. I really do not care if it's used as long as it's in good .So should I ask for a certain one in the wanted area, dig on ebay or look on some websites? I know most likely I will be hooked on buying them but I would very much like to start with my favorite characters valk! I guess I got the fever again since I decided to buy my Transformers Jetfire valk which I always always always wanted! Thanks for any info in advanced!

It all really depends where you are located as yamato have big boxes. So you want to get it from a seller close to you and shave down some of the shipping costs.

There is a forum dealing in where to buy somewhere at this place which I hardly ever look at. under "sell trade and buy macross"

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=32

The ones I shop at:

toywave.

ebay.

hobbylink japan

very occasionally from dealers here.

Two scale of yamatos floating around out there:

1/48 vf-1

1/60 vf-1

The recent 1/60 was roy VF-1S with FP.

1/48 is older and larger release.

I would just get 1/60 which is cheaper, more poseable, and looks best in battroid mode as your first valk. But if you can find the 1/48 for a bargain price that;d be good to get now too.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Ah well thats good to know that they are pretty expensive to ship. I am in Louisiana so most things that I want do come at a pretty good price! I have some bandai model kits that I ordered a long time ago when I was in jr. high and those cost me a pretty penny back then. Thanks for the quick response!

If you do order from HLJ, I suggest going for the SAL shipping. $20 for shipping from Japan to the west coast for me only took 10 days. $20 to Louisiana is way worth it considering the distance and maybe an extra week to get there. For me, I've never seen the point of paying double to get something in like 48 hours. I can always use the savings on my next purchase.

If you do order from HLJ, I suggest going for the SAL shipping. $20 for shipping from Japan to the west coast for me only took 10 days. $20 to Louisiana is way worth it considering the distance and maybe an extra week to get there. For me, I've never seen the point of paying double to get something in like 48 hours. I can always use the savings on my next purchase.

Thats a pretty good point and since I am in Aviation and working on my flight instructor cert. I need to save all the money I can!

Graham's toy review section:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/toys/_toys_yamato.htm

Might be handy if you like to see what you are buying before you make a decision.

lol Graham needs to update that section to include 1/60 (version 2) SDFM and Macross DYRL toys.

Try also youtube and subscribe to Collection DX reviews. Then look for some of the macross stuff they've reviewed for more info.

It might help you to better judge the toy against other toys on the market. (not just yamato macross ones) without having to sift through pages and pages of text and still images on boards.

For opinions try this:

http://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/viewt...p;sk=t&sd=a

This is from a transformers forum.

Personally I would start with the V2 Yamato releases because of the articulation in robot mode.. But if you like larger sizes at least have a look at the 1/48 side by side with the new 1/60 vf-1S to determine which is for you. Because there are a lot of people willing to sell them cheaply now.

The reason I would go for 1/60 v2 as I've mentioned is that this is a matching scale with many other upcoming toys and the smaller size makes it more easier to collect I guess. It has comparable detail to the 1/48 but is cheaper and the shipping will cost you less.

But do transform it carefully. The shoulder design seems a little more scary than on the 1/48 when posing the arms. But as mentioned in the review you can do barrel rolls with this toy unlike the heavier 1/48 which feels dangerous to attempt to handle due to the weight and stress the FAST packs will have on the hinge.

Dude you guys are awesome with the quick replies! I am looking around I think the 1/60 might be for me because I am wanting to start collecting the yamato valks. I also have a pretty decent collection of older bandai models etc. that I think they would go well with. What would be the best way to tell if it's a v2 from pictures or anything...or a good question to ask a seller? I will run out of steam on the questions soon I promise hehe. I want to shop around on pricing if I can help it just so I can get a Max soon for my next one...or maybe before the Roy, I guess whichever the best deal comes around.

Ok here's the thing: "v1" 1/60 have to have their legs detach in order to transform them to battroid mode.

These new 1/60 (called version 2) are perfect transformation toys meaning you can just transform them without pulling off the limbs or removing something and swapping with something else.

So basically look for the word "perfect transformation" as an indication of whether it is the "v2".

The version 1 has a "needle nose" in fighter mode, a squashed up shrunken head in battroid mode, looks uglier, is much older, worse poseability and ...er just generally sucks. Look at the pics of it in the 1/60 VF-1 toys section I linked to. Then look at the pics in the graham's review of the V2 I linked to after that.

You'll find big differences between the older 1/60 and the newer 1/60.

Here's pics of the old version 1 1/60 Yamato vf-1s:

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMTMC-06

and

..the new version 2 1/60 VF-1S (with strike and super parts):

http://www.hlj.com/product/YMT00078

Scroll your mouse over the little thumbnails to the side to see them blown up to look at them in bigger detail.

Don't buy the old one! :D

The v2 1/60 is just what we call it, but it's really an entirely new toy from the old 1/60s because the v2s are able to transform without having to remove any parts as opposed to the v1 where you had to remove to legs during transformation. Because it's a new toy it is listed differently than the old ones.

Edited by jackdaniels

The v1 were made back in 2001/2002 and I doubt they are still making them anymore so there's probably no chance of you buying it new. You'll only come across them if you buy from ebay. Even then, if they are selling a v2 it will probably say so. The v2s just came out in July and I can't see why anyone would sell theirs off so soon unless they broke something.

V2 box

v1 box

notice that the v2 box has a lift up flap so that you can see inside and the v1 doesn't. As for the toy itself, you're gonna need someone with both to take some pics.

Edited by jackdaniels

When did you last order from HLJ? The reason I ask is that it used to be faster for me to get stuff SAL. I live in Atlanta, and it would usually take 2 weeks to get anything shipping SAL from HLJ. Lately, it's been taking a solid 4 weeks to get to my door. Just wondering if you or anyone else has been experiencing the same thing. EMS is always very fast, but outrageously expensive. Often, EMS is the same cost or more of the item I am buying.

JGrizzle,

Well mate....I almost always order from LAFtoys.com. Los is based out of Texas and it is actually about the same price if not cheaper to order from him instead of an overseas seller. Also...you will more than likely get your item faster....he always packs WONDERFULLY.....and he is VERY responsive to any concerns you may have. Check out this...You WILL NOT be dissapointed...

LINKY

:ph34r:

JGrizzle,

Well mate....I almost always order from LAFtoys.com. Los is based out of Texas and it is actually about the same price if not cheaper to order from him instead of an overseas seller. Also...you will more than likely get your item faster....he always packs WONDERFULLY.....and he is VERY responsive to any concerns you may have. Check out this...You WILL NOT be dissapointed...

LINKY

I agree. I will be doing all of my future shopping here because of the good service, fair prices and I am supporting a US distributor which I am sure would like as much help as they can get.

Lost and Found does have good prices. Thanks for the tip. It seems that they don't carry too much 1/48 stuff anymore, but they seem to carry all the latest 1/60th and what's coming. I'll be keeping my eye on them for things I want in the future.

Lost and Found does have good prices. Thanks for the tip. It seems that they don't carry too much 1/48 stuff anymore, but they seem to carry all the latest 1/60th and what's coming. I'll be keeping my eye on them for things I want in the future.

GO LAFTOYS.COM!!! WOOT WOOT!!!

When did you last order from HLJ? The reason I ask is that it used to be faster for me to get stuff SAL. I live in Atlanta, and it would usually take 2 weeks to get anything shipping SAL from HLJ. Lately, it's been taking a solid 4 weeks to get to my door. Just wondering if you or anyone else has been experiencing the same thing. EMS is always very fast, but outrageously expensive. Often, EMS is the same cost or more of the item I am buying.

I last ordered from them at the end of July. Even if it took a month, I'm in no hurry to get the toy so long as I know it's coming.

JGrizzle,

LINKY

Thanks for the info! I am going to order from here when they get more in, I cant wait!

For me, I am in VA, used EMS, and from the date of shipping confirmation, it took 6 days.