Armored Core: For Answer

wolfx

So i was at my friend's place playing game demos on his PS3 and one of them was Armored Core: For Answer. I saw the awesome promo trailers for it but can't help but feel kinda disappointed with the game. The demo game had your mech in a cinematic-like sequence flying towards a gigantic mobile weapons platform. The mech now feels very much more agile and stays mostly off the ground jumping dodging while firing its weapons. The demo was really laggy especially when you are making your way up the mech. I no idea what i was supposed to do cuz i was firing randomly at turrets but i think the idea is sorta like a mech version of Shadow of Collosus?

So i've never played much of the old AC games but isn't AC supposed to be a japanese version of clunky mechwarrior-like mechs? This new game sorta made AC feel like an arcade/puzzle shooter and it wasn't even engaging enough...or maybe i can't read japanese and didn't have a clue on what i was supposed to do. Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Me and a friend have been playing AC since the first iteration on the original PS.

The story mode is... mediocre, always has been. (only really played to get more parts :) )

But the replay value comes in the form of VS mode.

We have played vs mode for 8-12 hours straight on almost every version that has come out.

And the Froating Head's mecha designs just make me drool like a rabid wombat.*

*<Although- the first AC had quite a few designs that were clearly from Miyatake's Macross Destroids>

<I always fantasized that AC was the Macross universe if the Zentraedi never showed up.>

Edited by daeudi

Damnit don't remind me. I still got 10 stages of Last Raven until I move up to the PS3 leagues. And I'm going to weap as all those parts I've been carrying thru since AC 3 are stuck forever. :( I don't think I'll get around to this one until Dec., but I might bump that up if I can find someone to work the 2 player co-op with.

The Armored core series isn't for everyone and its a very niche game at that. I just finished getting all 3 endings last night. Which resulted in me getting every single part in the shop for free as a reward. I have to say though the single player mode is more fun than any of the previous installments in the series and the missions are very fun and rewarding. The goal for each mission is to try and get an S rank for every mission. Because if you do you'll get extra parts or FRS memory to tune your Next.

I'm still trying to get an s rank for every mission so that I can get the best parts in the game. As thats the only way to get them.

The online is also a great new feature that is now more robust than AC4. The co-op mode is a great way for ppl to work together on those harder missions that require a partner. It is also an easier way to get an S rank as opposed to doing it yourself. The only drawback is you have to complete the missions in single player first...

I haven't played vs mode online too much but its pretty fun and competitive and you really have to know what your doing, because most of the ppl playing online are from japan and already have uber designs that can tear you to shreds quickly. The key to winning online is to try and make either a mid weight high flying machine thats fast with balanced weaponry or a heavy tank type AC with tons of heavy weaponry so that you can dispacth your opponents quickly.

I have only one gripe about this games online... IMO there are waay to many blader AC's out there and most of them are jp players... the new reg 1.20 file has made the blades too overpowered to the point where everything else seems useless against them... especially if they're a fast lightweight AC.

The armored core series have always been a enjoyable series for me, what appealed to me was the mecha designs and the endless customisation. The only problem i have in the series is the awkward controls, its not exactly pick up and play, but once you get use to it alot of fun can be had from it. AC 4 i thought was too simplified for me so it was not as great as the previous series. Mech games aren't that popular in the UK so i doubt theres much of a online community or updates for it either.

Edited by kung flu

I used to love this series but after the recent PS2 games I gave up...however I was thinking about buying this.

Are the controls still clunky? How interactive is the surrounding environment?

I've only played AC4 for ps3 for a short time, the controls are still clunky, but the customisation has been simplified. :(

I just got this a few days ago, working through it right now...

Chainguns are awesome now in that they actually feed off a drum (as opposed to being clip based in the previous ACs).

Heat is GONE! Then again, that also means you can't overheat enemy NEXTs (ACs)...

Game pace is MUCH faster now, to the point where missile dodging with a light fast NEXT has a very Mac Plus feel to it. In fact, with a machine gun, forget about dodging, you can shoot them down! The downside is that EVERYTHING is fast. Forget about blading enemy NEXTs, and my favourite tactic in the AC3 days (tank legs and dual grenade launchers) no longer work since it seems as if everybody and their mom can boost and evade like crazy. Don't even get me on the first serious NEXT fight... $#I($# White Glint...

I'd say controls are much better and not clunky at all, compared to previous ACs. I went with the B control scheme and inverted the Y-axis and felt right at home.

Overall, I'd say it's worth the purchase if only for a completely refreshing look at the AC series.

I just got this a few days ago, working through it right now...

Chainguns are awesome now in that they actually feed off a drum (as opposed to being clip based in the previous ACs).

Heat is GONE! Then again, that also means you can't overheat enemy NEXTs (ACs)...

Game pace is MUCH faster now, to the point where missile dodging with a light fast NEXT has a very Mac Plus feel to it. In fact, with a machine gun, forget about dodging, you can shoot them down! The downside is that EVERYTHING is fast. Forget about blading enemy NEXTs, and my favourite tactic in the AC3 days (tank legs and dual grenade launchers) no longer work since it seems as if everybody and their mom can boost and evade like crazy. Don't even get me on the first serious NEXT fight... $#I($# White Glint...

I'd say controls are much better and not clunky at all, compared to previous ACs. I went with the B control scheme and inverted the Y-axis and felt right at home.

Overall, I'd say it's worth the purchase if only for a completely refreshing look at the AC series.

Most of the things you mentioned were already changed in 4. However, 4A has increased the speed on everything- even Tanks have the ability to dodge heavy weapons if you tune correctly. Also, if you think blading is hard now, you should have seen the previous regulations. The fact that you can push your AC to over 3000km/h during a slicing dash really says it all, I think. I do love how fast paced everything is now, though. My current set up has infinite ground OB, and can do normal flight indefinitely. Hopefully as I unlock more FRS I can make it more energy efficient, and have unlimited quick boosting. Cause right now, she may do Mach 1 during a side boost, but a heated battle can leave me with no EN. Oh well, at least it fills back up really fast. Also, just unlocked the White Glint parts; can you say Wings of Light?

i just got a copy yesterday.

and it's fun to play again! B))

i can now look forward to rubbing out my thumbs with all the flying & dodging :lol:

the controls are still pretty unfriendly, but a whole lot better compared to earlier AC's.

with a bit of fiddling, it's possible to have a button setup that works better than the default.

a couple of things i miss though are the in-game maps & the option to re-configure the HUD.

i kinda liked having the old semi-useful altimeter :lol:

EDIT: spelllllling

Edited by UN_MARINE

i experienced some kind of lag during one of the missions.

i still think it's under the "1st run glitch" category. i haven't seen it happen again yet.

maybe it's the particle effects?

there's so much "particle math", when you start moving around or shooting things, all you see is your machine & dust/water.

smoke, dust, water, electricity, & exhaust effects. there's so much of it, it'll blow your mind!

I haven't run into any serious issues... then again, AC4 never crashed on me like it was supposed to, so...

the only serious problem I've had is the game lagging when I send out a flight of missiles and collapse large sections of buildings/highways, etc... the dust that kicks up will lag the system down (so far only in the arena map with all the highway overpasses). Other than that, it's been a pretty good gaming experience on my PS3.

EDIT: Added AC4 never crashed (knock on wood...)

Edited by Akilae

I haven't run into any serious issues... then again, AC4 never crashed on me like it was supposed to, so...

the only serious problem I've had is the game lagging when I send out a flight of missiles and collapse large sections of buildings/highways, etc... the dust that kicks up will lag the system down (so far only in the arena map with all the highway overpasses). Other than that, it's been a pretty good gaming experience on my PS3.

Its my understanding this does not happen on the 360.

Well, AC4A was developed as a native XBOX360 game after all... but things aren't as bad as they sound.

My pet gripe about AC4 and AC4A is that it's TOO fast. It's to the point where anything other than gatlings and missiles can't hit any NEXTs at all, since most of them spend too much time in the air and quickboosting around, effectively making bazookas and grenade launchers useless. Anything that's not a light/mid part is also partly neutered, seeing how lightweight generators outperform heavies and tank legs no longer offer decent armor.

i really want to get into the AC series but i feel i'm doing something wrong. in AC4 i had lots of problems in flying missions. i struggle to stay in the air, much less maintain an effective altitude. is there an altitude control somewhere or perhaps a forum/blogsite about AC flying combat somewhere that i can read up on?

i was very comfortable with the ZOE2 controls and was hoping AC would be similar.

AC is NOTHING like ZOE. ZOE/2nd are the best mecha action games I've ever played. AC is slightly more grounded in reality. I haven't played AC since the 2 days (maybe I played 3, I don't recall), but if you can't stay in the air I am guessing your boosters and generator (engine, power plant, whatever they call it in AC4) aren't a good combination for sustained flight.

yeah ZOE2 rocks. hands down the best and the only reason i'm hanging onto my PS2 (my asian PS3 won't play ZOE2 extended version i got from UK). ZOE was fun too, but a tad too slow, specially if one played ZOE2 first.

anyway, back to AC. i can stay in the air long enough, but i can't maintain a constant altitude. i end up overshooting when i boost and fall like a brick when i ease the boosters. frustrating...

You're not really intended to maintain a constant height... but if you want to do it, it's harder in AC4 than it is in AC4A, since boosting was given an increase in power and efficiency in AC4A. But you can try this:

Equip the most efficient generator you can afford. You're looking for something with lots of output. Go light though, since lighter NEXTs have an easier time "flying".

For your main booster, equip something that has a good vertical boost. For side boosters, go with something with a good horizontal boost. Back boosters just go with something efficient. Note that if you REALLY want to fly, then your build will have an efficient boost (i.e. lower energy usage), but your quickboost will be very unimpressive. If you just want a limited amount of levitivaty, then you can go with power so you can quickboost around and actually dodge. To maintain constant altitude pulse your boosters by not jamming down on the trigger. The idea is to space your boosting so your generator can catch up with your energy usage. Keep in mind to have an effective flyer, you'll want to keep yourself to ballistic weapons. Energy weapons will only take away what precious energy you need for boosting.

OR, you could just pick up AC4A, slap on regulation 1.15 and enjoy unlimited energy :rolleyes:

To maintain target facing when up in the air, I usually boost up and backwards, then boost in the opposite direction that my target is headed in while turning towards the target. It helps to use type-B controls, which seem to make more sense IMHO. If you're not hitting anything, then it could be your arms (maneuverability) or FCS (lock-on time)... or your gun (some guns just don't track well).

You might actually enjoy AC4A a bit more... I don't think I've actually completed AC4, but AC4A has me doing the missions over and over again... I've also had those "ZOE moments" with a dual moonlight flier on unlimited energy. Altitude control is still finicky, but with blade tracking you fly up or down towards whatever target you're locked onto anyway. I'd say trade AC4 in for AC4A.

• 1 month later...

co-op is nice. you can get S ranks easier that way.

but you can't complete the game through co-op. there are specific missions with the co-op option.

i've done like 50/50 successful & failed attempts at connecting with my friends.

so far with my (crappy) isp, i've had relatively little to no lag. except for when it's loading enemies.

but still, almost no "fighting lag" compared to "processing lag". if that makes sense.

from what i figure, the machine you pick determines which parts & weapons are available & will be available to you along the line.

something like if you choose the armor-based corporation, you'll get the heavy & medium parts right away, then the light & fast parts later. and so on.

i'm not sure if the machine choice affects the story mode. it looks like it's the same for every corporation.

the difference is in the order you do the missions. the story branches out in specific missions, & there are missions that only become

playable after you've done a specific mission or missions beforehand.

:)

• 7 years later...