Macross Frontier News Thread IV *Read 1st post*

azrael

what? there's a movie? ;)

*ding!* *ding!* *ding!*

YOU ARE CORRECT!!

You win the CD that Hitomi found in Gaia!

(And we should probably get back on topic before a mod comes along and says, "Stay on topic, bitches.")

So...um...it's not really "news," but I've been listening to "Radio Macross," and it's kind of fun...what little of it I can understand, at any rate.

On the other hand, with the earrings, they opened the door to a possible retcon that could have the vajra arriving on earth even before the protoculture did. not saying it's probable, just saying it's a possibility. as far as retcons go, that takes the cake.

I believe it was already discussed a while ago that the birdman mecha from Zero had fold quartz on its "innards" (the obvious source for the Nome earrings)... The Vajra may be spawn of the Birdman, but having the bugs in the past just doesn't add up...

Btw... I'm glad SW1 stays in limbo, since it brings lots of possibilities for reinventing/re-imagining Macross forever...

(Could it be that Kawamori and Co. are planning a new SW1 Macross series after Frontier ends?) :ph34r:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Episode 23 synopsis from the new TV Life programming guide that just came out today (Thanks to the guys at the Chinese Macross Eden forum for posting it). Thumbnailed screenshot attached.

Looking forward to NT release next week for the remaining synopsis for September. Thanks!

23 「トゥルビギン」

フロンティア船団の資源が不足し、食料は配給制に。酸素も低下する中、アルトはV型感染症をわずらうシェリルに手料理をふるまい、安らぎの時を過ごす。その直後、ビルラーと三島から衝撃的な. 秘密を聞くことに。

23 True Begin(ing?)

Due to insufficient resources in the Frontier Fleet, food is being rationed. As the oxygen is being lowered, Alto cooks for a V-virus infected Sheryl and they pass the time peacefully. Right after that, Bilrer hears a shocking secret from Mishima.

episode23spoilertr0.th.jpg

Well, it's either that, or we can say that they all happened in alternate universes, which eventually leads to a series which ties all the universes together with two different Hikaru's fighting side by side, VF-25s in formation with VF-2s, etc. to be called Crisis on Infinite Macrosses.

Edited by d3v

I dunno...I'm okay with the ambiguity. In fact, I kind of like it. But then, I liked the TV ending to Evangelion, too...so maybe I'm just weird.

Wow. You liked the Eva TV ending as well? Welcome to the club. It's a very small club. The movie however is not canon with me.

Back on topic, I'd very much prefer the TV series as canon until proven otherwise. In many cases it's not a good idea to mess around with the original unless you decide to revamp the series entirely. You just need to look at all the re-editing that's done by Spielberg and Lucas with their old classics to see what a bad idea it could be. It's jarring and only serves to alienate the old fans that made it popular in the first place.

Well, it's either that, or we can say that they all happened in alternate universes, which eventually leads to a series which ties all the universes together with two different Hikaru's fighting side by side, VF-25s in formation with VF-2s, etc. to be called Crisis on Infinite Macrosses.

Gah! I've prepared a nice pineapple salad. Would you like some?

Crisis is a good idea at the time since it's never been done before but ever since then DC has been pulling that trick every few years that's it's become a well known punchline even to someone like me who rarely to never read any DC stuff.

Macross just really need to stick to a solid path, and for the love of god don't pull a Leiji Matsumoto....

However I've noticed they've firmly hung on to DYRL (at least the art from it). The contract to produce that movie must have been much more clear than the series was. Hence the conspicuous absence of the TV version of the SDF-1 (thus far) in the Chronicle...

As someone else has already said, the SDF:M version will be released later. As it is, the sideview silhouette of the SDF:M SDF-1 is used in the Space Destroyer (Oberth) sheet.

I also won't be surprised if we see additional sheets on the interior of the DYRL SDF-1, as well as the DYRL ARMDs. Not to mention the same for the SDF:M version. Notice those little A's and B's in the upper right corner? ... Macross Chronicles is not something designed to go easy on the Macross fan's pocketbook. :cry:

All 4 of Macross F's singles in the top 5? That rocks. I haven't heard any of the songs on regular airplay at the restuarants that I frequent (though, they tend to have more mainstream mindless pop jingles.) But I have heard at least one MF song used in a stereo speaker shop...

I was a huge fan of the original Crisis and tried to collect every issue even till nowadays. Mutiple versions of each DC hero (Superman E1/Superman E2 & Nightwing/Adult Robin from Earth 2) for 75 cents in one book was a steal. The series included all of DC's publishing history in compacted it to a 12 issue maxi series. The ending (the merging of all universes into one) still remains on of the most controversial ever. It did allow DC to clean up convolluted continuity (JSA & JLA on the same earth) and attract new readership by Marvelizing their characters but older DC fans were alienated in this shared universe. Effects on characters like Power Girl, Donna Troy, and even the entire Legion whose histories were tied to original multiverse has taken DC years to explain why they exist in this new reality. DC finally gave up and reintroduced the multiverse concept (maybe due to the success of Marvel's Exiles).

Now to Macross, a Crisis style event for Macross sounds interesting but I prefer they don't do it. Just unofficially merge tv & movie Macross keeping things as vague as possible. In the end DC learned if it's not broke don't fix it.

Edited by terry the lone wolf

FANTASTIC SAVE!! :lol:

anyways, how do you listen to it? is there a website streaming it?

Now, I've been downloading them from nicosound. I also found Chie Kajiura's second album there, but all but two of the links are dead... <_<

And Bobby's songs, but in the same poor quality found elsewhere...will high-quality versions of those ever show up?

Regarding potential ep 23 description.

I wonder if she'll have told him by then... and ...

Alto can cook? I hope he's better than Ranka...

Alto can cook because Alto is femtastic.

God though, could you imagine if Sheryl confessed to him and ALTO ACTUALLY MADE UP HIS EFFING MIND??

Hehe.

I hope we don't get a SDF:M 'goodbye love confession' . x_x

hmm.. cooking again. i hope it's not steak or anything with pineapple

Don't worry, considering how Alto is so traditional in everything else, it'll be Japanese cuisine :lol:.

Also I've been reading Japanese translations of some of the comments from the MW favorite female character polls and and it's funny how they translated them :lol:.

For example Dante74 on his voting for Nanase:

Another one for Nanase! BOo8!3s FTW!!1

俺もNanaseに投票したぜ!おっぱい最高!!

How I translated it before I checked the original post: I voted for Nanase too! Long live boobs!!

Alto can cook because Alto is femtastic.

God though, could you imagine if Sheryl confessed to him and ALTO ACTUALLY MADE UP HIS EFFING MIND??

Hehe.

I hope we don't get a SDF:M 'goodbye love confession' . x_x

It doesn't mean much at that point

unless she gets cured.

It doesn't mean much at that point

unless she gets cured.

hence why I am afraid we will get a 'goodbye' love confession.

I reckon she will somehow live, though-- but not before hitting the very edge of death.

So, do you think Alto will cook Soba? I mean, what's more traditional than buckwheat noodles, seriously?

Hmm Alto and Sheryl time :), that's more like it.

Somehow I for see a grim future for Sheryl, somehow I keep thinking she won't survive in the end. She's the type of character who'd sing a duet with Ranka then die smiling right afterwards (because of the V-type infection).

Still I'm hoping for a Happy SherylxAlto ending

btw, ain't Northern Cross one hell of an awsome song :p

Edited by whispo

Episode 23 synopsis from the new TV Life programming guide that just came out today (Thanks to the guys at the Chinese Macross Eden forum for posting it). Thumbnailed screenshot attached.

Looking forward to NT release next week for the remaining synopsis for September. Thanks!

23 「トゥルビギン」

フロンティア船団の資源が不足し、食料は配給制に。酸素も低下する中、アルトはV型感染症をわずらうシェリルに手料理をふるまい、安らぎの時を過ごす。その直後、ビルラーと三島から衝撃的な. 秘密を聞くことに。

23 True Begin(ing?)

Due to insufficient resources in the Frontier Fleet, food is being rationed. As the oxygen is being lowered, Alto cooks for a V-virus infected Sheryl and they pass the time peacefully. Right after that, Bilrer hears a shocking secret from Mishima.

Thank you... At long last, some real news after all that speculation, hehehe... Updating wikipedia now... ^_^

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Hmm Alto and Sheryl time :), that's more like it.

Somehow I for see a grim future for Sheryl, somehow I keep thinking she won't survive in the end. She's the type of character who'd sing a duet with Ranka then die smiling right afterwards (because of the V-type infection).

Still I'm hoping for a Happy SherylxAlto ending

I agree with you as well about Sheryl. As much as I love her, she has so many deathflags flying around her pretty head that's I think she's going to buy the farm however gracefully and gloriously she does it.

Let's hold out for our AltoxSheryl ending even if I think it looks like Alto running after Ranka next ep.

Cause I'm going to call her either leaving Frontier to protect the others and Alto or Grace will just nab her. Either or. Just a guss.

Norther Cross FTW!!! Belt it out Sheryl-sama, even if it might kill you!

Wow. You liked the Eva TV ending as well? Welcome to the club. It's a very small club. The movie however is not canon with me.

Back on topic, I'd very much prefer the TV series as canon until proven otherwise. In many cases it's not a good idea to mess around with the original unless you decide to revamp the series entirely. You just need to look at all the re-editing that's done by Spielberg and Lucas with their old classics to see what a bad idea it could be. It's jarring and only serves to alienate the old fans that made it popular in the first place.

If they ever should re-do SDFM to get out of the legal mess they've gotten themselves into internationally, they'd have to tread very carefully. The best possibility would be to simply re-animate the show with modern techniques, possibly update the music (though that would probably hurt me... :p ) and maybe toss in an episode or two as harmonizers to the current chronology. Most importantly pace the episodes out better so that that last few don't appear slapped on like the original.

I can't say I'd be a strong advocate of a re-animation, but I also can't say I'd oppose it either. Kawamori has done a fairly admirable job with the Frontier story thus far and we know he can direct well if he's given control to do so.

You mean Macross F will have midgets singing "Smells Like Teen Spirit"...? AWESOME! :p

:blink: whaa wha?

No I mean Sheryl is keeping her medical condition a secret from Alto just like Nicole Kidman kept hers from Ewan MacGregor, and she collapses after the final performance and confeses her love then dies.

Are the midgets singing smells like teen spirit after the credits LOL?

:blink: whaa wha?

No I mean Sheryl is keeping her medical condition a secret from Alto just like Nicole Kidman kept hers from Ewan MacGregor, and she collapses after the final performance and confeses her love then dies.

Are the midgets singing smells like teen spirit after the credits LOL?

that ending is SO sad (not to mention cheesy), that i'd actually prefer the midgets. hehe. :lol:

23 「トゥルビギン」

23 True Begin(ing?)

Thank you. I notice this spoiler is a little suspicious with the lack of details. The only hint we get is the title.

When you say "touru", is it true or tour in English? Tour begin?

Don't worry, considering how Alto is so traditional in everything else, it'll be Japanese cuisine :lol:.

isn't kobe or wagu steak considered japanese cuisine? :lol:

As long as she doesn't die from a takoyaki party it should be fine :lol:

man, i've been crazy about those since college. specially with lots of tabasco though that probably isn't very japanese

amen to that. just listened to the full versions of Lion and Northern Cross yesterday and my head is still spinning.

Call me a froot loop but I have Moulin Rouge (sp?) on DVD and I enjoyed it. I think we may get a similar ending...

i guess that makes me a froot loop too

Edited by Major Focker

hence why I am afraid we will get a 'goodbye' love confession.

I reckon she will somehow live, though-- but not before hitting the very edge of death.

So, do you think Alto will cook Soba? I mean, what's more traditional than buckwheat noodles, seriously?

He'll prepare a traditional

chanoyu tea ceremony, and if there's enough time add a traditional cha-kaiseki.

Edited by d3v

He'll prepare a traditional

chanoyu tea ceremony, and if there's enough time add a traditional cha-kaiseki.

hmmm... am I wrong, or would that be tantamount to a declaration of his feelings for Sheryl? I am not very familiar with the underlying motivations for performing a tea ceremony beyond the 'cultural aesthetic'

hmmm... am I wrong, or would that be tantamount to a declaration of his feelings for Sheryl? I am not very familiar with the underlying motivations for performing a tea ceremony beyond the 'cultural aesthetic'

You know, if I remember right the original SDF Macross had a couple or so episodes like that near the end of the series... :wacko:

Btw...

Still no confirmation about the final episode's air date? :blink:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

You know, if I remember right the original SDF Macross had a couple or so episodes like that near the end of the series... :wacko:

Btw...

Still no confirmation about the final episode's air date? :blink:

i can't believe it. after all this time making up the protoculture cookbook, no one thought of adding the "rare black tea" that claudia gave to misa...

yup, tea does play an important part in the macross universe. at least in SDFM, it does. :)

Thank you. I notice this spoiler is a little suspicious with the lack of details. The only hint we get is the title.

When you say "touru", is it true or tour in English? Tour begin?

I think they are meant to be more of a mini synopsis than something that completely spoils an episode, and TV LIFE which this came from doesn't have as many lines for their synopsis as say Newtype or Animage.

Also saying something like

After Sheryl confessed her love through song and Alto did the same backstage they are now peacefully passing the time together, while Alto cooks Sheryl considers how to tell Alto about her condition. While Frontier fleet resources are low, Leon tells Mr Bilrer that his hair is in fact a wig!

instead of

kinda ruins the previous episodes events doesn't it? Wait until around the 6th-10th for some more detailed synopsis/spoilers for 23 as well as 24+25.