87 members have voted

1. 1. Round 3 (episode 20-26)

• Sheryl Nome
    • Ranka Lee
    • Klan Klan
    • Nanase lulz
    • Other
    • No one

I've always been backing Sheryl and wont be changing now. May be my personal preferences to her personality and her harsh background or just the fact I can't really stand Ranka when it comes to her interactions with Alto. I dont hate her character just the idea of her with Alto

I think Alto goes off on his own, and one way or the other Ranka and Sheryl end up together (as singers?). I don't think there is any love outside of friendship at the end of this show.

However, if I had my choice, I'd have Alto and Sheryl together.

Edited by Duke Togo

Sheryl for Alto, if they both live that is.

I have a sneaky suspiscion they may both die by the end of the series.

My theory is that Ranka is going to evolve into a half Vajra hybrid and end up going off to live with the Vajra.

Graham

Sheryl for Alto, if they both live that is.

I have a sneaky suspiscion they may both die by the end of the series.

My theory is that Ranka is going to evolve into a half Vajra hybrid and end up going off to live with the Vajra.

Graham

When she evolves into a half-vajra, she'll also suddenly be hot, seductive and more womanly, a-la-Infested Kerrigan ;)

At this point, I really dont give a flying fark about it. I hope most of the characters kick the bucket. :angry::angry::angry: Just when I was getting into this... ok, so I am still pissed about them killing off Michel.

I think Ranka will go with the Vajra to ensure peace between the NUNS and Vajra She will make the ultimate decision to sacrific her love for peace. Maybe Brera will go with her, though I have feeling he will buy the farm to save her. Maybe Alto will go back to Theater since he sees how Michel dies and make amends with his father. And of course Sheryl will go with him since she is use to the theater. And I also forsee Klan sacrificing herself since there is no one else for her.

At this point, I really dont give a flying fark about it. I hope most of the characters kick the bucket. :angry::angry::angry: Just when I was getting into this... ok, so I am still pissed about them killing off Michel.

I think Ranka will go with the Vajra to ensure peace between the NUNS and Vajra She will make the ultimate decision to sacrific her love for peace. Maybe Brera will go with her, though I have feeling he will buy the farm to save her. Maybe Alto will go back to Theater since he sees how Michel dies and make amends with his father. And of course Sheryl will go with him since she is use to the theater. And I also forsee Klan sacrificing herself since there is no one else for her.

Vengeful much?

The self-sacrifice for peace would echo the theme of Mac Zero and we already know how the two are being tied together, a cohesive theme might help...

Ranka is the Mao of this series and Sheryl is the Sara. Mao is in love with Shin but he's really more in love with Sara... I see Sheryl sacrificing herself because she is dying anyway and maybe Alto going with it.

Ugh.

I really wanted Alto to end up with Sheryl at first but my question is wouldn't Ranka really be better for him?

I felt so bad after ep 18 for her, I kinda feel like she deserves to have him cos she'd be good to him, whereas Sheryl is Asuka-tastic, fickle(in appearance only) and determined.

I don't know who I'd rather have Alto end up with anymore.

How would Ranka be better for him? She knows nothing about him, she doesn't challenge him intellectually or emotionally at all, of all the girls in the entire show, she's the one least ready for a real relationship, she's been using Alto as a crutch, and looks nothing more than a school girl crushing on the Quarterback because he said some words to her. She's nice, she's sweet, she's naive, etc, etc, but is she really better for someone like Alto? Does he need a damsel in distress, who constantly needs his encouragement and words of advice to decide anything?

"Bitter, part of one? Your table is ready." ;)

First time poster here. Nice to meet all of you. :lol:

How would Ranka be better for him? She knows nothing about him, she doesn't challenge him intellectually or emotionally at all, of all the girls in the entire show, she's the one least ready for a real relationship, she's been using Alto as a crutch, and looks nothing more than a school girl crushing on the Quarterback because he said some words to her. She's nice, she's sweet, she's naive, etc, etc, but is she really better for someone like Alto? Does he need a damsel in distress, who constantly needs his encouragement and words of advice to decide anything?

Unless you are Alto Saotome then your point is moot.

I see that Ranka is not really popular here, but from the looks of things, Alto will choose Ranka. The events will surely push these two together regardless of the outcome. So even if they have a tragic end, the plot will bring them together much like in Galia arc. I don't even think Alto had a change of heart after how he acted towards Ranka in episode 13. It's more like an awakening of something that was already there only to go back to sleep again because Alto is dense.

Don't get me wrong. I like Ranka and I like Sheryl. Sheryl is more of a big sister to Ranka and understands her. She may be even aware that Ranka likes Alto, so I think that Sheryl will act like a big sister to Ranka and let her have him. Sheryl, to me, is the one destined to sing for a greater cause. The heroine that will love all the people and sing for them. This is an astounding character development for someone like her who had shown no concern for her endangered fans when Alto informed her. She now have a broader perspective because she had to fall off her high horse and was able to see things from the bottom. After watching episode 20, I therefore conclude that Sheryl doesn't belong to one man. She belongs to herself and her music, while Ranka would rather want to belong to Alto even if her fate is with the Vajra. I hope Sheryl doesn't die. I hope Ranka doesn't leave with the Vajra. And with that *cue Lion OP theme*

There's some major flaws with your logic. The most obvious one is, Sheryl has always worried about her fans, Alto, Galaxy, everybody, over herself. She has always put others before her. Ranka on the other hand, has always put herself, or Alto above everything else. Case in point, episode 12 during the Galia IV arc where she never once showed concern for Sheryl or anyone else on the entire planet except Alto. #2, she never showed concern for her best friend Nanase after she was hurt, and could only comment about how warm Alto's hand was, before thinking of Brera in a past memory. Ranka hasn't learned anything yet. She hasn't grown up yet. She's still a mental midget. Until she grows up, she has no chance of winning the love triangle. You can't have an adult and a child in a love love relationship. It doesn't work. You need two adults.

Another thing, only 3 people knew Sheryl is dying. Grace, Michael, and Klan Klan. Grace is the main bad guy, Michael is dead, and Klan Klan is about to go apeshit on all that is Vajra with deathflags abound. That leaves Sheryl with... Who exactly to help her? Since Ranka interrupted and went all emo, Sheryl is no way going to tell Alto about her illness, and will choose to carry the burden alone. As well as carrying the burden of the peoples' despair. So then who will carry Sheryl? The people? The ones who toss her aside on a moment's notice when a new Heroine comes to town?

No, Sheryl needs Alto's support more than Ranka's. Ranka has been using Alto as an emotional crutch since almost day one. She's shown no ability to do things on her own without it involving him somehow. Very, very unhealthy. Ranka will never grow out of being a child, until she learns to give him some distance, and show she can stand on her own two feet without him. Unfortuntely, we're past episode 20 now, and time is about out.

I'm leaning on a bittersweet ending at this point. Alto finds out about Sheryl dying after they become a couple, and there is no cure for her, so they spend what time they have left together, while Ranka runs off into the sunset with the Vajra and Brera in tow. Or something of a similar variation to that.

There's some major flaws with your logic. The most obvious one is, Sheryl has always worried about her fans, Alto, Galaxy, everybody, over herself. She has always put others before her. Ranka on the other hand, has always put herself, or Alto above everything else. Case in point, episode 12 during the Galia IV arc where she never once showed concern for Sheryl or anyone else on the entire planet except Alto. #2, she never showed concern for her best friend Nanase after she was hurt, and could only comment about how warm Alto's hand was, before thinking of Brera in a past memory.

I don't think it'll convince you with whatever I have to say now because from the way you put this, you're being a too biased when it comes to your description of Ranka. Ranka may be in dire need of development, ep 20 is obviously setting up the stage, but I don't think she is as self-centered as you claim she is.

Ranka hasn't learned anything yet. She hasn't grown up yet. She's still a mental midget. Until she grows up, she has no chance of winning the love triangle. You can't have an adult and a child in a love love relationship. It doesn't work. You need two adults.

From what I can see, Alto feels the need to be there for Ranka because she always seeks him. Contrary to what we expect, Alto doesn't mind that Ranka seeks him. He welcomes her and looks out for her. Alto and Ranka are only two years apart. They're both teenagers. You are the one saying that black should be black and white should be white or it is not happening.

The fact is, Ranka (immature as she is right now) does not affect her chances with Alto. Although it's evident the author will not let Ranka stay this way.

Another thing, only 3 people knew Sheryl is dying. Grace, Michael, and Klan Klan. Grace is the main bad guy, Michael is dead, and Klan Klan is about to go apeshit on all that is Vajra with deathflags abound. That leaves Sheryl with... Who exactly to help her? Since Ranka interrupted and went all emo, Sheryl is no way going to tell Alto about her illness, and will choose to carry the burden alone. As well as carrying the burden of the peoples' despair. So then who will carry Sheryl? The people? The ones who toss her aside on a moment's notice when a new Heroine comes to town?

You should include the character's feelings into account and see if they even want someone to carry them, rather than inserting your own want. Does sheryl want someone to carry her? You heard her in episode 20. She is very independent and she is fine with this. Ranka on the other hand wants to be with Alto. She needs Alto and gets hurt at the thought of being without him. This is the clear difference between the two girls. It might be a little unfair to compare Sheryl to Ranka right now since Ranka is just about to start her final character development. But I said it...

No, Sheryl needs Alto's support more than Ranka's. Ranka has been using Alto as an emotional crutch since almost day one. She's shown no ability to do things on her own without it involving him somehow. Very, very unhealthy. Ranka will never grow out of being a child, until she learns to give him some distance, and show she can stand on her own two feet without him. Unfortuntely, we're past episode 20 now, and time is about out.

This sounds more like a rant of your dissatisfaction in Ranka's character that is why you, speaking for yourself, don't want Alto to end up with her. This however doesn't have anything to do with Alto. I don't think Ranka was show to be this obsessed, but maybe trying to clear this for you is futile.

I'm leaning on a bittersweet ending at this point. Alto finds out about Sheryl dying after they become a couple, and there is no cure for her, so they spend what time they have left together, while Ranka runs off into the sunset with the Vajra and Brera in tow. Or something of a similar variation to that.

And I'm leaning on a happier outcome for everyone. ;)

Take a look at how Alto acted in Ranka's room several episodes ago. She drops a hint about them being alone and 'not to try anything funny -wink wink-' and he doesn't even flinch just goes about making his paper airplanes. Episode 13's been the only time he's shown any real attraction to her, where as he's shown attraction to Sheryl off and on throughout the show. They reach each other on far deeper levels.

When has Ranka ever asked Alto about his past? When has Ranka ever gotten Alto to talk about his past? When has Ranka, ever gotten Alto to say more than words of advice? 99% of their conversations are about her.

As for Alto not minding caring for Ranka, yeah I wouldn't mind treating her like a kid sister either. Notice how in episode 20, when she ran away from him and Sheryl, he didn't chase after her? He didn't even take a step forward. When he was trying to get her to sing to stop the Vajra, he didn't make up any excuses about why he was holding Sheryl. Look at the previews for episode 21 where Ranka is blushing and looking at Alto. Notice anything? He's just built his 10,000th paper airplane, and is getting ready to launch it into the sky. He's not looking at her. She's always looking at him, but in these kind of moments, what does he do? He goes and builds another airplane. Where is the interaction shanz? When is Ranka going to steal Alto's attention in a way that she hasn't outside of episode 13? That episode happened 2 months ago. We're on the home stretch and who's the only one Alto's been going to?

To pull a Ranka ending now, is to make some of the most unbelievable story writing(read bullshit writing), you'll ever see in anime. Worse than Canvas 2 in many regards. Ranka's stayed stagnent for 20 episodes, yet all of a sudden, she's going to age 5-10 years mentally, and be the person she should have been by now? It's a little late, and a dollar short.

Check the spoilers for the next 3 episodes and see if you're still confident...

http://that.animeblogger.net/2008/08/24/ma...n-to-your-song/

Shanz read this blog, then read all the comments. Hell, go to all the major blogs on the internet for Macross Frontier, as well as all of the forums, and you'll see that this show has been dissected to the lowest common denominator. As Crusader from his blog says, Ranka's been given far too many handouts. She hasn't had one major disappointment yet. She's so completely overdo for one, it's pathetic. Like all of the characters before her, in the Macross Universe, Ranka is going to need to grow up...

As Crusader from his blog says, Ranka's been given far too many handouts. She hasn't had one major disappointment yet.

I suppose her entire (?) family getting killed (and being so traumatized by it that she instantly forgets anything that reminds her of it) doesn't count...?

I suppose her entire (?) family getting killed (and being so traumatized by it that she instantly forgets anything that reminds her of it) doesn't count...?

Tell me when it's bothered her outside of finding out Ozma was a pilot again in episode 3? Show me where it's been bothering her beyond the occasional dream while she sleeps, but wakes up perfectly normal? Show me where she's thought about it more than 5 scenes in 20 episodes? Show me where she hasn't the loving support of EVERYONE around her since episode 1.

Good luck. :rolleyes:

I replied to your post knowing full well of the latest spoilers.

To pull a Ranka ending now, is to make some of the most unbelievable story writing(read bullshit writing), you'll ever see in anime. Worse than Canvas 2 in many regards. Ranka's stayed stagnent for 20 episodes, yet all of a sudden, she's going to age 5-10 years mentally, and be the person she should have been by now? It's a little late, and a dollar short.

I think you are just complaining because this is not true. Alto choosing Ranka is not called horrible writing. It makes the most sense to me storywise. Alto and Ranka's story began at the very beginning, girl meets boy. Boy saves girl. Girl crushes on boy. Boy supports girl. They ate happily at Nyan nyan. Next day, boy gets involved with a 'woman'. Girl gets sad and you know the rest. This is a very typical scenario in romance anime and after 20 episodes, I still see macross frontier sympathizing with the girl's story.

http://that.animeblogger.net/2008/08/24/ma...n-to-your-song/

Shanz read this blog, then read all the comments. Hell, go to all the major blogs on the internet for Macross Frontier, as well as all of the forums, and you'll see that this show has been dissected to the lowest common denominator. As Crusader from his blog says, Ranka's been given far too many handouts. She hasn't had one major disappointment yet. She's so completely overdo for one, it's pathetic. Like all of the characters before her, in the Macross Universe, Ranka is going to need to grow up...

Yes yes yes, I've been a lurker for far too long and I'm aware of the blogs around. Ranka will only grow up once things blow up in her face. That is exactly what happened in this episode. She didn't know what hit her and she failed trying to handle things. From the heartbreak she suffered up to the Vajra attack. This is why I sense a major character development on the way from here on. We get to see Ranka flourish as she regains her memory and resolve things. She is at the center of all this chaos afterall. ^_^

Tell me when it's bothered her outside of finding out Ozma was a pilot again in episode 3? Show me where it's been bothering her beyond the occasional dream while she sleeps, but wakes up perfectly normal? Show me where she's thought about it more than 5 scenes in 20 episodes? Show me where she hasn't the loving support of EVERYONE around her since episode 1.

Good luck. :rolleyes:

Episode 10, when she saw Brera. :rolleyes:

Alto has shown zero romantic interest in Ranka aside from the kiss. As opposed to the constant flirting that goes on with Sheryl. ending up with Ranka just doesn't make sense.

I replied to your post knowing full well of the latest spoilers.

I think you are just complaining because this is not true. Alto choosing Ranka is not called horrible writing. It makes the most sense to me storywise. Alto and Ranka's story began at the very beginning, girl meets boy. Boy saves girl. Girl crushes on boy. Boy supports girl. They ate happily at Nyan nyan. Next day, boy gets involved with a 'woman'. Girl gets sad and you know the rest. This is a very typical scenario in romance anime and after 20 episodes, I still see macross frontier sympathizing with the girl's story.

Yes yes yes, I've been a lurker for far too long and I'm aware of the blogs around. Ranka will only grow up once things blow up in her face. That is exactly what happened in this episode. She didn't know what hit her and she failed trying to handle things. From the heartbreak she suffered up to the Vajra attack. This is why I sense a major character development on the way from here on. We get to see Ranka flourish as she regains her memory and resolve things. She is at the center of all this chaos afterall. ^_^

You are in a minority. Take a look at this poll for a clear example. Take a look at the earlier polls done as the series started, and progressed. Sheryl had 50% of the votes, then 58%, now almost 80%. Notice a pattern? People are becoming more and more confident in predicting the romantic path this series is taking. Some of us saw it from Episode 1 on.

Alto has saved both Ranka and Sheryl many times. Both girls fell in love with Alto. Alto has supported both girls. Alto's also gone on a date with Sheryl in episode 5, or did you forget?

I've watched many anime in my 28 years. When I say many, I say well over a thousand. I'm also a HUGE sucker for romance anime. My top 10 lists 8 of them with romance as a major piece. Macross does things a little bit different from your usual series, where the childhood friend wins most times.

In Macross SDFM, the more mature female was the one who worked herself into the male lead's heart. In Macross Plus, the hot head, who wore his thoughts and emotions on his sleeve for the entire world to see, was the winner past and present. In Macross II, the mature female gets the male lead again. In Macross Zero, the mature sister wins out. Macross 7 had no resolution as the male lead never did want a relationship to begin with so it's kind of an anomaly.

What most of these had in common, was the winner was very much a tsundere, who was also career driven, and had a wall of ice that needed to be melted by the main character. Ranka has no such shell. She's very much like Minmei in her immature, naive view of the world. Sheryl is by far the deeper character emotionally, and like Hikaru with Misa, Shin with Mao, Hibiki with Silvi, the interactions between Alto and Sheryl are very, very telling.

You can bring up Romance anime all you want, but Macross does things a bit differently, and is not as shallow.

Edited by JustinStrife