Macross Frontier Episode 20 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 20  

270 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• Positive (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! WHY!!?????)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (I want everyone to DIE!! DIE!! DIE!!)

Diamond Crevasse

was already a very sad song.

This episode took it and magnified it tenfold.

The musical pacing couldn't have been done any better during those final moments.

Great Episode!!! Can't even start explaning how I felt when Mikael died, Did not see that coming at all, Poor Klan.

This is a great Show!!! did you guys notice the Macross F Final 10/16 announcement at the bottom of the screen at some point?? well, no season 2 for sure now, but after this episode you kind of knew that already. Kawamori I bow to you and your genius!!!

Well...we all knew someone had to go. It couldnt have been Alto, obviously, Luca, since we still don't know whats up with him and Leon, and i doubt they would kill Ozma after the last thing they did. Still...FSCKWHYCOULDNTITBENANASE?!?!?!?!?!

Because Luca has to lose his virginity to and/or kiss Nanase before he or she dies. Either of them, really

Manly tears indeed T.T

At least Michel dies protecting his love, may you rest in peace in GARhalla.

So there are two other types of Vajra, the big zam type and another ant like type. And looks like Destroid got the job of house cleaning with flame thrower next week

Also anyone notice, ESA ammo appears to work again against the red lobsters since Canalia manage to kill some of them using Konig Monster.

This episode is probably the darkest episode in Macross history. :mellow:

All right people long spoiler post, get ready.

I have to say awesome episode. Clearly we can tell who directed this episode, the bushy browed god himself.

I'm going to attempt to give my summary of the episode.

It starts off with Ranka's concert as she's singing Anata no Oto. Sheryl walks towards Alto and tells him that the stage is really something isn't it as she looks over at Ranka singing. He shoots back with saying she can't wait to get back on it right? She scoffs saying she told him already, Sheryl Nome is done singing before she faints. Alto catches her telling her to take it easy as he presses on telling her that her songs reach out to a lot of people, that it's reached him and the humans in this universe think. He says this while looking down at her and she tears up, he smiles, she says "Alto..." and cue Ranka-chan bursting through the doors. We cut to Mikhail and Klan and he corners him herself before the opening starts.

Ranka with wide eyes of disbelief backs away tearing up saying "I'm sorry!" and runs off but slips as she tries to run off flat on her face. She picks herself up shakily and says she can't believe this she's had enough. Just as she does, the Vajra come out in full force attacking the colony. They mess up the sniper from shooting Glass and he gets away in his car.

Vajra start killing wildly and Ranka isn't singing.

Ozma and Cathy bust Leon and the smug guys starts talking like he's already the president and is about to have them arrested when Glass calls him and his face just falls. Pwned! Ozma smirks and beats down on the guards with Cathy who smacked one with her elbow before they ran off together.

Alto runs to Ranka's huddled form and holds out his hand asking her to sing and she reaches out but hesitates. He pleads for her to sing for everyone's sake but she refuses. She doesn't want to sing anymore, she cries falling on her hands, sobbing. Sheryl then come forward and grabs Ranka slapping her soundly and hugging her close telling her to calm down. She says she understands why she sings but she is a pro now, she has to understand that. Her song has a power hers doesn't and will never posses. Alto follows begging her to sing. Ranka gives in reluctantly and they prepare her to sing.

I have to say it was awesome seeing the trio up there, Ranka looking bad-ass with Alto on the side with his gun ready and Sheryl at her back standing strong. It was like a powerhouse group up there with the Aimo O.C. starting up. Nanase runs off to find Ranka since she hears her singing.

Ranka's heart is clearly not into it since she feels hurt and it just drives the Vajra to be more agressive and hunt people down resonating to her pain. Grace of course is watching from the shadows and notes that Ranka's emotion level's are falling. But Aimo doesn't work. Ranka can't believe it as do the others who are fighting the Vajra off. Ozma mentions somthign about this happening when the 117 fleet was destroyed back then and Leon is bitching at Grace about what's going on and just to add to the chaos, a vajra fleet folds neaby. Surprise, surprise.

They trio soon meet up with the others leaving the school as it's too dangerous. Luca says they should take Ranka to the SMS and they agree as Nanase comforts Ranka telling her she is their songstress and it was just a bumb in the road ro something like that. An explosion seperates the group injuring Nanase and leaving her on the other side of the fire with Sheryl who holds her close to protect her.

She tells them to forget about them that they are alright and to go quickly but Alto refuses. She shoots him down asking who does he think she is exactly? He finaly relents, promising to come back for her, taking Ranka by the hand when she doesn't follow. She notes that his hand is warm in hers and I think she remebers someone holding her hand like that when she was younger and we get a flashback of the blond kid we think is Brera laughing as he looks back at her. Clearly, her memories are creeping back just as a big battle starts in space as well.

Brera is looking for Ranka and he finds her but Grace stops him form following her and uses some sort of geass on him to make him obediant. He then calls his VF with his mind and it blasts towards him. :ph34r: Leon traps Glass and offs him mafia style before he can return to his office. Ozma and Cathty are running to catch up to her father but they're too late as they find his body full of bullets, blood pooling everywhere. Cathy breaks down.

Klan and the others are trying to get into the room that hold the macronization machine so that she can fight as well. Alto and Mikhail are covering her as she changes and she takes this opportunity to confront Mikhail about her feelings and kisses him right in the heat of battle, toppless and in her panties! He asks her why at this moment and she yells Mikhail what's wrong with now and that he better not forget and chews Alto out about something before she runs off to the machine the others covering her.

Back at the bunker where the civilians are holed up hiding, they are all scared asking where is Ranka Lee? Why isn't she protecting them? Sheryl is tending to Nanase's wounds as she listens to this ans they are hit by a blast that cuts the lights out the generator power kicking in but dim. Sheryl overhears Kanaria's husband and son as he says he's scared and his father assured him they'll be fine and that his mother will protect them and if need be he will protect him with his own life.

Sheryl hears this and is saddned at the mention of life since she knows she is dying. But she remembers Alto's words earlier fishing out her earring from her pocket and looking at it. "Ranka-chan, if you are the songstress of hope then I will sing amisdt the despair." She resolves putting the earring back on and getting up to start singing a beautiful version of Diamond Crevasse. The lights of the bunker somehow light up and shine down on Sheryl as they all realise it's her singing and Elmo is there too!

The song is sung as everyone is fighting in space and in the colony and finaly it gets to the moment where Klan is int he macronization machine but Vajra somehow get in and they head straight for her. Mikhail refused to have them hurt her and flies towards them shooting protecting Klan but one come form behind and guts him. It goes for Klan agains and he rams into it shooting as they hit the side of the wall and it explodes. Klan watches in shock and despair as an air vaccum opens and suck everything out including Mikhail. He looks at her and tells her he loves her before he is sicked out into space. It closes with Sheryl singing as a tear goes down her face and we see Mikhail's glasses at the end.

Damn, summary, more like a novel. :blink:

Well I have to say this is a good episode for Ranka to find get the initiative to find her own strenght again and from the preview, ti looks like she will with Alto's little planes and advice. I don't feel it's necessary to bash her, the girl is hurt and confused about what to do and gave it her best try even if her heart wasn't in it. I still love Ranka. Let's give her a break.

Sheryl is my favourite and she shone in the episode for me. She really proved the reason why she is Sheryl Nome. Her tear falling at the end made me so sad along with the lyrics, as if she was resigning herself to her fate, putting her life on the line the only way she knows how, through song. She knows she is sick but she is still pushing herself to sing to protect Alto and do what she can for the people of Frontier. And Cathy made my heart sob with her. It was beutifullu orchestrated.

Preview looks like RankaxAlto to me as I predicted in episode 19's thread. However I could be surprised in the end.

See you next deculture!

Oh ack. I hate it when certain speculations come true.

Specifically because it means the characters' lives and deaths are being used for the sake of character development, e.g., sacrifice good, likeable characters to spur the growth of several largely unexplored characters. I'm sorry, while entertaining, it means for me I'm going to have to detach from all characters to some extent, because they're now all expendable :-/

And yeah, DC has a different musical underscoring (more acoustic, more sparing)... also pacing of the vocals has changed. Very nice. I want this version.

Edited by s-girl

Specifically because it means the characters' lives and deaths are being used for the sake of character development, e.g., sacrifice good, likeable characters to spur the growth of several largely unexplored characters. I'm sorry, while entertaining, it means for me I'm going to have to detach from all characters to some extent, because they're now all expendable :-/

And yeah, DC has a different musical underscoring...

I feel the same way

I feel the same way

Yeah. Kawamori is an excellent director and has excellent writers, as attested to by how even if we see the signs of something coming, we're a> still upset it happens and b> still upset afterwards it has happened.

Given the propensity to

just kill everyone off these days in a lot of anime

I was still affected. Emotional manipualtion by writers ... very good compared to a lot of other "shonen" concepts out there currently.

And yeah, DC has a different musical underscoring...

To me is more dislike to Ranka, Because of Her Michel Dies

BTW, anyone has a Matrix revolutios vibe with the Vajra flying around the dome?????

That's my point.

Kill off Michael to make ALto and Luca less wishy-washy and to force Ranka to try to readjust why she's singing. There's probably still enough time left in this series to address her emotional issue and force us to Ranka/Sheryl duet at the show's ending.

I was going to argue with you, but come to think of it, you're right.

It *is* Ranka's fault Michael is dead, because SHE kept the Vajra larva as a pet, her emotionless singing incited the Vajra to be MORE agressive, and while she is not directly responsible for Michael's death she did at least have a card to play in it.

This episode was really hard on me :( I really identified with Michael and Klan, and Michael's feelings upon finding the dead meltran pixie on the floor... the absolute horror of it.

There has to be a *good* ending for this... we aren't going to get a zeta gundam ending are we?? :(

Manly tears indeed T.T

At least Michel dies protecting his love, may you rest in peace in GARhalla.

So there are two other types of Vajra, the big zam type and another ant like type. And looks like Destroid got the job of house cleaning with flame thrower next week

Also anyone notice, ESA ammo appears to work again against the red lobsters since Canalia manage to kill some of them using Konig Monster.

This episode is probably the darkest episode in Macross history. :mellow:

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was the cannon fodder VF-25 who made those kills, for the simple reason that the Konig Monster can't fire missiles in that configuration.

In any case, it's what I've said all along. Vajra RESISTANCE is not the same thing as invincibility.

R.I.P. Michael, he has joined the rest of the great Macross pilots that have passed, Major Roy Focker, Chief Guld Goa Bowman, Lt. Kinryu, Physica S. Fulcrum, D.D. Ivanov, Nora Polyansky. When the director and writers make you feel sad about a fictional character dying, you know they have done there job. The more chaos Leon and Grace cause the more guesome there deaths will be.

Edited by Chief Guld Goa Bowman