DYRL Remastered Subtitles Help

HannouHeiki

Hey guys...I've recently acquired the ISO for the HD Remastered version of DYRL. I've extracted the srt subs that come with GP's mkv release of the film.

Now I'm trying to integrate those subs into the DVD. My basic question, is it possible to make overlapping subs at home? I know in commercial DVDs I'll see overlapping subs, one for dialog, another for background dialog, and even for labeling signs in the background...all going on at the same time with their own timings.

When I try to use the SRT file (which has overlapping subs for songs and dialouge), DVD-Lab Pro is not able to handle them.

I've thought about making two subtitle tracks, one for dialogue and one for songs. Is it possible to display both at the same time if they are positioned differently?

I'm sorry if this is too technical of a topic for this forum, but any advice would be appreciated!

It's possible, just use a program called MaestroSBT. The program takes *.SSA and turns them into bunch of tif files along with a *.son/*.sst file (which has time and color indexes for those tif pictures generated) , then import into the authoring software. I know DVDLab is very similar to DVDMaestro which can take *.son/*.sst file.

MaestroSBT also works with styles in SSA, so that you can make multi-color subtitles like what ANIMEigo did to their DVDs.

look into this file, it's a toturial for subbing dvd's

http://rapidshare.com/files/112086225/Blin..._Guide.rar.html

I'm already using it on the Macross 7 DVD's and works fine

Thanks for the replies. I've manged to create very nice subs using maestroSBT, with different timings and overlapping subs look great in the generated preview. I'm having problems finding software that supports them though....DVD Lab Pro seems to only accept the .son timings and wants me to manually apply each BMP to the timing, which I won't do for 1000+ lines. I'm still not sure that it will accept overlaps either.

I never thought sub work would be such a chore! I'll check out this guide and hopefully I can learn something...

Thanks for the replies. I've manged to create very nice subs using maestroSBT, with different timings and overlapping subs look great in the generated preview. I'm having problems finding software that supports them though....DVD Lab Pro seems to only accept the .son timings and wants me to manually apply each BMP to the timing, which I won't do for 1000+ lines. I'm still not sure that it will accept overlaps either.

I never thought sub work would be such a chore! I'll check out this guide and hopefully I can learn something...

This guide provided the solutions that I needed. Thank you so much for the link! The snag that I did run into was because I wanted to have two subtitles of different colors, one for speech and one for music. The guide doesn't address this option...it turns out you can't have antialiasing if you want two colors, and the preset options for MaestroSBT in the guide was set up for AA.

Anyway, if I have the time I might make a torrent of this, so people can have perfect subs with this release. I know this DVD has been criticized for various quality issues, but I think releasing it as a torrent will make a nice quality DVD available for stand-alone DVD player use.

If you're interested look for it on mininova or demonoid in the next week or so.

if you are interested I can help you, send me the timed subtitles, I can make the two colos subs and a patch

right now I have an iso of the remastered DVD, but the HDD where's stored is already disconected

This guide provided the solutions that I needed. Thank you so much for the link! The snag that I did run into was because I wanted to have two subtitles of different colors, one for speech and one for music. The guide doesn't address this option...it turns out you can't have antialiasing if you want two colors, and the preset options for MaestroSBT in the guide was set up for AA.

The difference between with aliasing or without is really minimal.

The only method to make DVD subtitles look better is to have large font size with thick boarder.

The difference between with aliasing or without is really minimal.

The only method to make DVD subtitles look better is to have large font size with thick boarder.

I've already completed the project. I made one version with all one color, but I decided that the margins were not enough, particularly for SDTV owners. I'm redoing it with improved margins, this time with 2 colors and no AA. I'll release everything thru bittorrent when I'm finished.

• 3 weeks later...
I've already completed the project. I made one version with all one color, but I decided that the margins were not enough, particularly for SDTV owners. I'm redoing it with improved margins, this time with 2 colors and no AA. I'll release everything thru bittorrent when I'm finished.

Would you be so kind as to give an update on this? I've been waiting for a proper subtitle patch for the remasteded DYRL since it was released in R2-land...

I've already completed the job, take a look around on mininova. It's marked as [OPX] as part of the torrent title.

Would you be so kind as to give an update on this? I've been waiting for a proper subtitle patch for the remasteded DYRL since it was released in R2-land...

• 1 month later...

Xeros

First, thanks so much for your work on this. It is really appreciated by all I'm sure.

Forgive my ignorance, but how do I go about using this patch? I see that it's an executable file. Do I just rip the DVD on my hard drive, run the patch, and burn it back onto a DVD? I remember doing the previous DRYL Perfect Subtitles using DVD Lab Pro and a project file created by Hurin. Is there a procedure one should follow to use your patch?

Thanks

the *EXE is just a winrar executable file, inside this are only 4 files including a readme with instructions

As a way to assurance I put the URL of the torrent I've downloaded from mininova

I you already have the DVD-9 you must make a image file with it and compare the ISO size with the size I put in the readme (7.469.531.136 bytes). If it coincides, you should not have problems in applying the patch

Hi:

I got the iso from Xeros' link, then used img burn to create the iso. The size is 7.469.531.136 bytes as indicated by the readme. However, when I try to apply the patch, it refuses to do so (wrong crc). I've tried creating the iso from the Video_TS folder, a root folder creating the video_ts folder, and even the individual files themselves - all no joy. Also tried ignoring the layer break, no go. Used ISO9660 + UDF as recommended by the program.

What exactly needs to be done with creating the iso in imgburn? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Well, sorry for not answer early (this week was hell)

I don't know the cause of the problem, I redo the process here an everithing goes fine, I like to know how many people has the same problem, so I can do individual patches for each file on the VIDEO_TS instead only one for the image

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok guys.

This is the Long version Patch for DYRL

Yesterday I ask boinger to do some test for this with the frontier subs and works fine. Now I do it myself on DYRL for re-check so here is

http://rapidshare.com/files/180483251/Macr...Method_Subs.rar

I've made some adjustments to the guide this time, in order to do the remux with the *.SUP streams directly from my DVD-5 version, ans avoid to do all the subbing job again xD