1/60 vs 1/48 VF-1S (Yamato)

fumikane

1/60 has a more balanced appearance in each mode, more TV/lineart accurate, sleeker underside in fighter mode, more articulation, more solid construction, but lacks the removable randome to expose the radar and moving flaps.

You pretty much covered it all except for the new 1/60 is also more solid.

:ph34r:

get the 1/48 if you want it big <_< ... get the 1/60 coz its new and cheaper...

I'd agree with this.

Another thing is if you get a 1/48 VF-1S, a 1/60 VF-0S and the ver.2 1/60 VF-1S, you can see how Yamato's design of the 1/60 "evolved" from their previous designs. You'll appreciate the newer 1/60 VF-1S based on design elements coming from the previous 2 designs!

I've looked at both my 1/48 vs. my 1/60, and overall, I'd have to give my overall appreciation to the 1/60 ver.2. I like the size of the 1/48, but with nothing else that size, it's kinda a lone ranger as far as the toys go. When I first transformed the 1/60, I thought the head coming off would be a negative, but it can transfrom w/o it needing to come off. On top of that, the general consensus here is right, in saying that the new 1/60 is one solid toy. Also, with news that they are already working on a 1D, that definitely has me sold. What's also cool is that it does seem that with one two seater, others are coming as well. That said, hopefully not too long till we see or hear news of the Elintseeker and Ostrich.

1/60 v2 are the newer line with improvements over the older 1/48, but really for its time the 1/48 was the king of all vf-1 toys in terms of looks. (it was the chunky munky of the early 00s :D)

1/60 is what I'd get especially if you like battroid mode a lot since this toy is going for a balanced look for all three modes.

The 1.48 seems to appeal to the fighter mode fans, however it suffers from the drooping shoulder in fighter mode which hang too low. It also doesn't look like it is getting 2 seater vf-1, and being bigger means more shipping cost and less space for you to display the toy than the 1/60.

The trend seems to be smaller detailed toys and the upcoming bandai macross frontier vf-25 toy is going to be 1/60 scale too. So it might be best to stick to one scale if you like the idea of having multiple mecha from different tv shows in matching scales in a display for some reasons. (eg I have my Yamato Red Qrau in 1/60 scale all ready to fight the v2 1/60 TV max 1J so I find it convenient that 1/60 toys coming out now will go well in a display with older 1/60 stuff)

The destroids will also be 1/60, so if you are a fan of needing things to look right, then start at 1/60 version 2 and onwards.

Otherwise get 1/48 if you never intend to display things together. (I bet most people have to keep their larger toys boxed up for lack of space)

I have the 1/48 TV Max VF-1J and love the blue they used for it. Advice to yamato: use the same blue you used for that toy on the 1/60. Thanks.

Oh yeah....

side parts side parts

side parts side parts

side parts side parts

side parts side parts

side parts side parts

And Alaska Base green valk would be nice too! Don't redo the angel birds again. Start with alaska base for a bit of variety.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

(eg I have my Yamato Red Qrau in 1/60 scale all ready to fight the v2 1/60 TV max 1J so I find it convenient that 1/60 toys coming out now will go well in a display with older 1/60 stuff)

Or wait for the 1S DYRL Max to be released as that's what the Red Q-Rau fought :)

After the Destroids, I hope they make the enemy mechas like the Regult, Glaug, TV Q-Rau, and Variable Glaug :) That'll complete the SDF TV and DYRL IMO :)

I don't think they'll do the tv qrau otherwise they would have done it ages ago. I think the Qrau sold poorly so I have little hope they would do it.

So er...whether I like it or not, I'm stuck with TV max fighting DYRL Qrau.

I'm not a big fan of the DYRL 1S max to be honest. Not over his TV 1J. The best 1S for me is Roys even if he wasn't the hero of the whole SWI story.

I tend to go for either bright colours for the aces like max and miria, or low vis stuff. Also I prefer cannon fodders like the brownies and greys more than the white scheme.

This is why I like shin vf-0A scheme being grey. Or the VF-11 cannon fodder. If Kawamori were to remake SDFM I bet he would change the white VF-1 to a grey like with shin VF-0A.

I'll be honest with you: white just doesn't look good for a fighter imo. Black I can take. But it really depends on the valk: the vf-17 imo deserves to stay black or dark blue because it is stealthy. While the workhorse mecha like VF-1 are probably better off being white to indicate heroic gundam-ish "white knight" symbolism.

Judging by my name you can tell I'm partial to the idea of a fighter that doesn't try to call attention to itself. (unless it's a character leet skills who is allowed to stand out) :D

Now don't get me wrong: I like max, but just not his 1S. DYRL was just an entertaining movie for the public and used inaccurate VF-1 in place of the proper (older) original vf-1s that were actually the planes that were used in the war. For me the TV series were the true canon "events" while the DYRL can be the canon design. Minmay never found an ancient plate with lyrics combining it with the ancient plate with the anicent tune to make the ancient love song. It was just culture in general (not just the music) that made zentradi defect. I think the whole idea of an instantaneous conversion is a little silly. SDF:M had more grounding in realism for being longer and not making minmay's music a cure-all. (not all aliens in the tv series got used to the peaceful life since war is in their very genes)

If yamato ever do the green Qrau that would make me very happy. But for now I'm going to assume just like the TV roy 1S (never made for 1/48 line) that it's unlikely to happen.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

After having both for a while, I think I still prefer the look of the 1/48 with fast packs on, both battroid and fighter modes. The longer 1/48 fighter nose seems to work better with the packs (looks less stubby), and the thicker legs and properly recessed head makes the 1/48 battroid look more menacing.

I t might just be my eyes that don't work, but am i the only one who thinks the 1/60s gunpod is a tad too small?

I put the 1/48 gunpod with the 1/60 Nora-battyroid and (although still too big) looks much closer to how it should be.