Drama Albums

Gubaba

Yeah, I had it for a long time without understanding any of it, either. Consequently, I never really listened to it until I pulled it out of mothballs last year....and lo! I discovered I could understand a good percentage of it.

Of course, the bits that I couldn't understand have been a real pain...

Anyway, here's the next part:

I have to say, I find Arihiro Hase and Mari Iijima's duet of "Blowin' the the Wind" rather touching in hindsight.

And um...I think there's a little continuity hiccup here, in that...well, souldn't Hikaru be Skull Suqadron Leader at this point, rather than Vermillion Leader...?

Anyway, NEXT: ZENTRADI ATTACK!! And the ORIGINAL "Triangler" is all present for it! PLUS: Minmay asks EXACTLY the wrong question! Claudia speaks! Global hyperbolizes! AND KIM GETS MENTIONED BUT NEVER ACTUALLY SAYS A WORD!!! AND THE PROMISED FREAKY FOUR-WAY WITH THE MINMAY DOLL AND DIAPERS!!!! YOU WON'T WANT TO MISS IT!!!!!

Yes, I agree. That duet is very good. Actually, if you have the Macross Perfect Collection 3 CD set, there's another duet for the song

"Runner."

I won't follow it anymore,

The shadow you cast as you run away

We all keep running until the end

But we still can't see the goal.

What awaits us after today?

What awaits us beyond tomorrow?

Even now, I keep running toward

The light that shines so far away

Too bad, there aren't more duet song performances in the Macross Universe. Should have at least a Basara/Milene duet, right? sigh...

Yes, I agree. That duet is very good. Actually, if you have the Macross Perfect Collection 3 CD set, there's another duet for the song

"Runner."

I won't follow it anymore,

The shadow you cast as you run away

We all keep running until the end

But we still can't see the goal.

What awaits us after today?

What awaits us beyond tomorrow?

Even now, I keep running toward

The light that shines so far away

Too bad, there aren't more duet song performances in the Macross Universe. Should have at least a Basara/Milene duet, right? sigh...

Well...that version of "Runner" (from FB2012) isn't a duet between Hikaru and Minmay...I think "Blowin' in te Wind" is the only time that happened.

And there are LOTS of Basara/Mylene duets! Foremost among them being the "Let's Fire!!" version of Planet Dance and the "Second Fire!!" version of Holy Lonely Light.

Anyway, he's Section Three of Part II. Claudia seems to have gone rather shockingly out-of-character here, at least to me.

Minmay: Hey, Hikaru, why did you join the military?

Hikaru: What? I joined up while I was living at your house!

Minmay: Really? Is that when it happened?

Hikaru: It was during the air raid warning! We were together!

Minmay: Oh really...

[Air Raid Siren]

Minmay: Eh? Director? What's with the sound effects?

Director: It's not a sound effect, it's real!

Hikaru: It's an enemy attack!

Minmay: Hikaru!

Hikaru: Those persistent Zentra-bastards! Everyone, I'm sorry! Minmay, see you later!

Minmay: Wait, Hikaru! Is the ship going to execute a transformation?

Hikaru: I'm sorry, I don't have any control over that!

Minmay: Don't go! Wow!

Director: Minmay, are you okay?

Minmay: I'm fine. Everyone, please wait a moment.

Someone: Director, should we keep going?

Director: Yeah, what should we do?

Minmay: I think I can do it. Let me me do it.

Someone: It's pointless!

Director: So you can't go on?

Someone: Yeah, I guess I could.

Minmay: I can do it! Thank you all for waiting. I guess we'll continue with the show, and soon we'll contact U.N. headquarters for information about the situation. So please sit back and listen while I sing "Hometown."

Chasing after rabbits at the mountain

Fishing for small carp in the river

Now dreams are swirling around me

Of my unforgettable hometown

I'm busy doing my work

When will I be able to go back?

The blue mountain of my hometown

The clear river of my hometown

Minmay: I'm connected with the U.N. Forces now. Am I speaking with someone from the U.N.?

Shammy: Yes, this is U.N. Forces 2nd Lt. Shammy Milliome.

Minmay: Please excuse me, but -

Shammy: Oh, wow! Minmay! I was listening to your radio show! I really love it!

Minmay: Thanks, but I -

Shammy, Hey, listen: those three strange guys you were talking about? I saw them! I looked like they were trying to change the diapers of a Minmay doll! Dirty, huh? I've been talking about it a lot and I think they may be some kind of military spies or something, but those three guys definitely have lolita complexes!

Minmay: Um, Excuse me, but I'd like to know what's happening with the battle.

Shammy: Oh, sorry, no waaaay! I'll transfer you.

Misa: This is the communications control center, Captain Hayase -

Minmay: Ah! Captain Hayase?

Misa: Yes, this is Misa Hayase... Ah, Miss Minmay! It's been a long time! I always listen to your entertaining program,

Minmay: How's the battle going? Is everything all right?

Misa: I'm sorry, I can't make any formal public announcement about that right now. By the way, weren't you talking to Lt. Ichijo just now?

Minmay: Oh, Hikaru. He left to join the battle.

Misa: All right. Thank you. Good luck with your show. I'll transfer you to the next circuit.

Claudia: This is the ship control center. Ah, Minmay? Mm, I bought your LP. I always listen to it when I'm feeling lonely. "My boyfriend is a pilot." You remember Roy, don't you? Oh, hold on... Captain Global will now make a public announcement.

Global: This is U.N. Spacy Macross Captain, Bruno J. Global. Whatever they throw at us, the Macross stands invincible! Everything is all clear. Everyone, please relax.

[feedback and static]

Global: Wh-what? What's happening?

Minmay: Everyone, please stand by a moment.

Misa: Kim! Hurry up and check the systems throughout the ship!

Shammy: Oh no! The monitor's broken! No waaaaay!

Misa: Shammy! Hurry up and fix it!

Minmay: We'll have to checdk back later. Our connection with the military has been broken. So we'll continue with the program now.

A long time ago, on earth, during the Second World War; even it the midst of all the fighting, an amazing woman sang a song of peace. That woman was named Lilli Marlene. And now, I'll sing her song: "Lilli Marlene."

Underneath the lantern,

By the barrack gate

Darling I remember

The way you used to wait

T'was there that you whispered tenderly,

That you loved me,

You'd always be,

My Lilli of the Lamplight,

My own Lilli Marlene

Time would come for roll call,

Time for us to part,

Darling I'd caress you

And press you to my heart,

And there 'neath that far-off lantern light,

I'd hold you tight,

We'd kiss good night,

My own Lilli Marlene

Orders came for sailing,

Somewhere over there

All confined to barracks

Was more than I could bear

I knew you were waiting in the street

I heard your feet,

But could not meet,

My own Lilli Marlene

Resting in our billets,

Just behind the lines

Even tho' we're parted,

Your lips are close to mine

You wait where that lantern softly gleams,

Your sweet face seems

To haunt my dreams

My own Lilli Marlene

NEXT: The Grand Finale! Will the Macross survive? Will Minmay finish her radio show? Will it be followed by a newscast? Will the poor little kid ever be reunited with his family, or are they (*gulp*) DEAD!? And what about that orange shirt you used to wear...?

Don't miss the final exciting chapter of Miss DJ, coming your way this weekend!!

Well...that version of "Runner" (from FB2012) isn't a duet between Hikaru and Minmay...I think "Blowin' in te Wind" is the only time that happened.

And there are LOTS of Basara/Mylene duets! Foremost among them being the "Let's Fire!!" version of Planet Dance and the "Second Fire!!" version of Holy Lonely Light.

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I meant why there aren't more duet songs irregardless of singer/lover pairings, since all the Macross stuff (original,0,+,etc) is really about love triangles?

Thanks. I'm gonna look for those M7 CDs when the S$/Yen rate is better.

While my Macross/M+/M0/MF CD collection is quite good (not complete, but quite good), My M7 CD collection is at a miserable 1 CD - Milene sings Minmay. Yeah, it's that bad. ^_^

Edited by blacklotus

Wow, I totally missed this thread the first time around! Thanks for the translations!

Do you also know about the drama tracks on the Macross Festival '95 Tickemaga CD? It's a fun little crossover with characters from Macross Plus and 7. I'd love to translate it myself, but my Japanese isn't up to par just yet...

Sorry, I wasn't clear - I meant why there aren't more duet songs irregardless of singer/lover pairings, since all the Macross stuff (original,0,+,etc) is really about love triangles?

Thanks. I'm gonna look for those M7 CDs when the S$/Yen rate is better.

While my Macross/M+/M0/MF CD collection is quite good (not complete, but quite good), My M7 CD collection is at a miserable 1 CD - Milene sings Minmay. Yeah, it's that bad. ^_^

Getting a representative M7 CD collection is really damn expensive...I have most of them, but I picked them up over a span of several years (most of them as they came out, some of them much later). I never bought any of the "CD Cinema" albums, though, so I ended up downloading them. They make Galaxy Network Chart Vol. 2 make a lot more sense...

Wow, I totally missed this thread the first time around! Thanks for the translations!

Do you also know about the drama tracks on the Macross Festival '95 Tickemaga CD? It's a fun little crossover with characters from Macross Plus and 7. I'd love to translate it myself, but my Japanese isn't up to par just yet...

Yeah, I plan to get to that, but not anytime soon. Once I finish everything for SDFM, then I'll move on to MII, M+, and M7. I'm trying not to think about that right now, though. Getting everything done for SDFM is overwhelming enough. ^_^

Yeah, I plan to get to that, but not anytime soon. Once I finish everything for SDFM, then I'll move on to MII, M+, and M7. I'm trying not to think about that right now, though. Getting everything done for SDFM is overwhelming enough. ^_^

Heh, maybe I'll beat you to it then ^_^

Getting a representative M7 CD collection is really damn expensive...I have most of them, but I picked them up over a span of several years (most of them as they came out, some of them much later). I never bought any of the "CD Cinema" albums, though, so I ended up downloading them. They make Galaxy Network Chart Vol. 2 make a lot more sense...

I'll definitely spread my purchases over a few years, unless there's a clearance sales at 90% discount or I strike the lottery. :lol:

I did a search for M7 CDs and the list is :blink: I'll probably try to get those with duets first, then those with songs by Milene, the soundtracks and finally songs by Basara. (Might skip Basara if cash is really tight... :lol: )

• 3 weeks later...

FINALLY! THE THRILLING CONCLUSION TO "MISS DJ"!

Announcer: Now, it's late at night, and you're full of stress and feeling down from shutting your mouth all day, so let everything out now with a big "WA-HAA!" It'll cheer you up and make your heart happy! It's the "All-You-Can-Say, Shout-Out-Anything" Corner!

Everyone: Banzai! Banzai! Macross! Banzai!

Minmay: That's right! This week, we heard the voice of many people. "All-You Can Say" Corner, OPEN THE DISK!

Woman's Voice: I lost my whole family in the transformation! Give them back to me!

Man's Voice 1: I wanna go back to earth!

Child's Voice: Mama, Papa, where did you go? Grandpa?

Man's Voice 2: I want to be an entertainer. Please listen to my song: "Piercing through the macro sky..."

Man's Voice 3: Someone, sell me a video of the theatrical edition of "Super Dimension Fortress Macross II*." Please!

Man's Voice 4: Eleven, please come back. Your father was bad. I'm sorry I wanted to date your girlfriend. Please forgive your lecherous father. I'm sorry.

Man's Voice 5: Um, last night, Outside, at the hill park, I saw it...a girl dropped her most important thing! Please let me give it back!

Man's Voice 6: I want a Minmay doll. Someone, please trade with me. Let's trade: you can have my wife.

Man's Voice 7: Anyway, people just don't have enough to get by. So get a part-time job. All ages welcome. Pay by commission. Qualifications are, um... people with an interest in keyholes and gold mines preferred. Don't feel bad about it, business is business. Inquire with the Macross Sneak-Thief Society "Lupin."

Minmay: That's it. We heard from a lot of people! Many more contacted us, but that's all we have time for now. See you next week!

Minmay: The battle. It's been settled safely, and we've survived to see another day. I've been speaking to you, but I also truly want to go back to earth. I want to go back. Why is that? No real way to answer that. Just... Tonight is full of sadness. In the corner of the heart, the thin, lace curtain called "loneliness" drops. All alone, I look to the sky. I can do it! I want to see you wearing that orange-colored shirt again. Wrapped in your scent, and filled with warm memories, I start to fall asleep. And I'll sleep peacefully.

Wishing upon a star in the night sky,

I hope it will hear my thoughts.

Softly whispering this song of dreams

Into the ear of you who are sleeping.

Dreaming night,

Starlight song.

Dreaming night,

Starlight song.

Good night.

Female Announcer: Macross Time is 1:45 AM. Now it's time for the news. At 1:32 AM Macross Standard Time, there was a Zentradi Attack. It was repelled by Vermillion Valkyrie Squadron and...

*Obviously, since this album came out in 1983, this is NOT the same "Macross II" that we all know and...well, that we all know.

Whew...that took A LOT longer than I thought it would (although it would have taken much less time had my hard drive not crashed last summer.

I can't say I love the album, and it'll probably be a VERY long time before I listen to it again, but, as tedious and mundane as a lot of it was, I did enjoy it.

I just wish they had included the script with the CD... <_<

Anyway, my next drama album project is already about half-done, but it's a big secret. You'll all find out at Christmas (and that should tell everyone what I'm currently working on). Once I finish that (next week...? Maybe...?), I'll move on to "Distantly Fading Memories," the Misa album. Some of it's easy, some of it seems very hard, and if I have to listen to it dozens of times like I did "Miss DJ," that piano music is going to drive me crazy...

But hey, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, right?

Good stuff, thanks Gubaba! :D

You're very welcome.

I'm prepping up "Distantly Fading Memories" currently...I wish the Bridge Bunnies didn't talk so fast, but that's in their nature, I guess.

I also picked p "Nyan Dra: Dra 1" and again, I'm annoyed by the lack of a script in the CD booklet. It'll be QUITE a while before I get around to that one. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but it looks fun so far.

EDIT: I also like how the back cover of Nyan Dra is a little wink at the cover of Miss DJ. Or am I reading too much into it...?

Edited by Gubaba

Okay...I've listened to all of Nyan Dra now, and...um, it's goofy.

Not as goofy as, say, Macross 7 Docking Festival, thogh. And most of the silliness is confined to the second story.

And there's the problem that Alto's supposed to be a junior high school student in the first story...but he sounds exactly the same as he did in the show. The story itself is pretty fun, though, as Alto flies for the first time (after walking out of a school production of Romeo and Juliet where he got cast as Juliet).

The third story I haven't quite got a handle on, yet. Sheryl's training with Michael and Klang, and ends up talking to Canaria and Captain Wilder...but I'm not sure about what else is happening in it.

And the Alto/Brera "Super Dimension Duet"...I figured it would just be the two voice actors singing over the karaoke version (let's face it, these drama albums tend to be rather cheaply made), but they actually new and entirely new performance of the song. Fit it with some of the Ranka songs from the show and the duets from the upcoming drama albums, and we'll have enough tracks for a "Mihoshi High School All Stars Sing Lynn Minmay" album...

And the Alto/Brera "Super Dimension Duet"...I figured it would just be the two voice actors singing over the karaoke version (let's face it, these drama albums tend to be rather cheaply made), but they actually new and entirely new performance of the song. Fit it with some of the Ranka songs from the show and the duets from the upcoming drama albums, and we'll have enough tracks for a "Mihoshi High School All Stars Sing Lynn Minmay" album...

Gubaba!!! Who is the arranger of the duet? Kanno? Hogari?

Gubaba!!! Who is the arranger of the duet? Kanno? Hogari?

Strangely, there is no arranger listed that I can see. The first credit is "Coordinate," but I can't read the guy's name. The producer is listed as "Imagine." Then it lists the engineer, the studio, and the musicians.

I don't think Kanno worked on it.

Some sought-after BGM is present in the dramas, though.

Oh, that's weird... But thank you! :)

Sorry...actually, I was looking in the wrong place. They have a big credits section for "Duet Part," when really I should've been looking above the lyrics...but I can't read the guy's name...the first kanji is either "kon" or "ne," but the second isn't in my kanji dictionary.

You're very welcome.

I'm prepping up "Distantly Fading Memories" currently...I wish the Bridge Bunnies didn't talk so fast, but that's in their nature, I guess.

I also picked p "Nyan Dra: Dra 1" and again, I'm annoyed by the lack of a script in the CD booklet. It'll be QUITE a while before I get around to that one. I haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but it looks fun so far.

EDIT: I also like how the back cover of Nyan Dra is a little wink at the cover of Miss DJ. Or am I reading too much into it...?

Hi Gubaba,

I started a translation last year, but lost the audio files in my iTunes when I switched computers and the CD is somewhere in my closet behind DVDs and books.

I thought I put up what I had, but I guess I didn't put up anything. Looks like I did up to around Track 4 (although I do have bits of the other tracks translated, not sure if I missed things in the other tracks).

If you want to see what else I did, let me know.

Macross Vol. IV

Harukanaru Omoi (Distantly Fading Memories)

1. Mezame –AWAKE- (Used three times)

Composed and Arranged by Kentaro Haneda

Misa Monologue:

The earth… the solar system... the milky way… space…

And within them, I’m a tiny speck…

Misa Hayase. Occupation: soldier. Age 19.

Blood type… A. “Female.”

Something’s trying to begin. It looks like it’s begun to move deep within my heart.

What could it be?

I feel like I’ve experienced it before.

A distant, distant memory is coming back little by little.

What is this unfamiliar passion that makes my heart squeeze?

Ahh… without knowing, another day is beginning.

It repeats. Yesterday, today, and probably tomorrow, it repeats.

But I have to start. I work as a soldier, UN Spacy Macross, Valkyrie instruction duty, Misa Hayase.

2. Shitou –JEALOUSY-

Shammy: Hey, hey, hey, hey. Kim, Vanessa.

Kim: What is it, Shammy? You’re so loud.

Vanessa: Hey! If you socialize during work, Major Hayase will scold us again.

Kim: That’s right. Major Hayase is scarier than the devil.

(Laughter)

Shammy: It’s about Misa. Don’t you think she’s been acting strange lately? There’s times when she just spaces out, right?

Kim: Now that you mention it, you’re right. I wonder if she got a boyfriend.

Vanessa (laughing): No way!

Shammy: No!

Vanessa: But you know what they say, “oni no kakuran” (a Japanese proverb meaning literally “Devil’s Illness,” but means something along the lines of someone who never gets sick gets a cold.)

Shammy: Ah! Look, she’s spaced out again!

Kim: You’re right. I wonder what she’s thinking of.

Vanessa: Maybe she’s thinking about what to have for dinner tonight?

Shammy: Really? I wonder what she’s thinking about.

Vanessa: I wonder what she’s thinking about.

Kim: We’ll never know.

Vanessa: So true.

Shammy: Too bad.

Minmay Memory:

I’m going to a new town. There, I’ll try singing again. I won’t say I’m not going to sing anymore. Miss Hayase, I don’t know when it will be, but when I can sing my own songs, may I come aboard your ship? Until then, take care.

Misa Monologue:

Lynn Minmay… Why can’t I be straightforward like you?

Lynn Minmay… Why can’t I become passionate like you?

Your smile. Your singing voice. Your passionate burning heart! I’m envious of you!

Jealousy?

…I’m embarrassed. My heart is pure white, but for some reason it feels blue.

(whisper) …I’m embarrassed. I want to talk him, yet I purposely avoid making eye contact and ignore him.

A street at night. Lovers are kissing in the darkness. “Really, people are looking!” I want to mutter that, but I hold my breath and I stare.

I’m embarrassed that I can’t control myself. I don’t like that…

3. Kasa no Naka (Under the Umbrella) –DUET-

Words by Akane Asa

Misa Monologue:

…Rain? Drizzle. Damping. A fine, misty rain. (konuka ame)

I’m embarrassed. I want the rain to wash it all away. Rain… and I want it to downpour on my heart. A beautiful drop of love.

Rain, it continues to rain

The people in town carrying their umbrellas

Red umbrellas, white umbrellas, yellow umbrellas

Each person under their umbrella

Drowning in loneliness

Dreaming rosy dreams

Passing without looking at each

Alone under an umbrella

Rain, it continues to rain

The people on the street carrying their umbrellas

Umbrellas of dreams, Umbrellas of love, Umbrellas of laughter

Wet by the rain, I hand my umbrella to you as you walk

At that moment, a single tear

Stops the rain in my heart

We snuggle under the umbrella

The lonely flow of umbrellas continues

Our love

Separates us from the people passing

We dance under the umbrela

4. Boukyaku –FORGET- (used twice)

(Laughter)

Shammy: Because!

Kim: Hey, hey, Shammy, Vanessa. Do you know a better way of getting a boyfriend?

Shammy: Hey, hey, Kim, how about this then?

Kim: Uh-huh.

Shammy: When you see a COOL guy in a car, you jump in front of it and get hit, and cause an accident. When they’re investigating the accident you talk about this and that, and get to be really close. How about it?

Vanessa: Shammy, Shammy, that wouldn’t work. Hey, hey, Kim, how about this? On a dark street you scream “HELP!” or something, and someone might rush to your aid. And then you make that person your boyfriend, and you make him treat him to something to eat and then run away.

Shammy: No way! What if he an old man comes?

Vanessa: You’re right.

Kim: Then some guy jumps on him.

Vanessa: Oh, Kim, you pervert!

Shammy: A relationship between men is good!

Kim: That’s impossible.

Shammy: What?

Vanessa: Isn’t there something? Oh, that’s right, that’s right. You call someone and say, “Become my boyfriend.” Isn’t that the most realistic?

Kim: Yeah. That sounds good. All right, I’ll use that to get a boyfriend.

Shammy: Hooray, hooray!

Kim: All right. Let’s go!

Girls: Yeah!

Misa Monologue:

Everyone’s having fun, with their best friends…

Just a moment at lunch, they chatter endlessly about this and that …

But after having such a great time, I begin to feel empty.

After making so much noise, I feel a hole appears in my heart.

What could this pain be?

Sorry...actually, I was looking in the wrong place. They have a big credits section for "Duet Part," when really I should've been looking above the lyrics...but I can't read the guy's name...the first kanji is either "kon" or "ne," but the second isn't in my kanji dictionary.

I got it! The music staff for Shao Pai Long is:

作詞:阿佐茜 (Lyrics: Asa Akane)

作曲:羽田健太郎 (Composition: Kentaro Haneda)

編曲:根岸貴幸 (Arrangement: Negishi Takayuki)

When I can't read the kanji, I usually run a google search on the name to see if any Romanji comes up :)

Thanks for the help!!!

I got it! The music staff for Shao Pai Long is:

作詞:阿佐茜 (Lyrics: Asa Akane)

作曲:羽田健太郎 (Composition: Kentaro Haneda)

編曲:根岸貴幸 (Arrangement: Negishi Takayuki)

When I can't read the kanji, I usually run a google search on the name to see if any Romanji comes up :)

Thanks for the help!!!

Stupid onyomi and kunyomi... <_<

Negishi, huh?

And how do you do a Google search if you don't know how to read the kanji? Or did you find the CD credits somewhere?

For those who with to hear what the tears of baby Jesus must have sounded like here's the nico link to Shao Pai Long.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6589092

Just remember that Shao Pai Long is a very messiah!

Looking forward to the Ozma/Bobby one and the Leon/Grace ones more. Tostugeki Love Heart won't suffer much from lack of singing talent, and while I can't remember which one LG are doing, but Inoue has an amazing voice (clearly the best member of DoCo back in the day). Also, Runner from Mikhail and Clang should be sweet.

For those who with to hear what the tears of baby Jesus must have sounded like here's the nico link to Shao Pai Long.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm6589092

Just remember that Shao Pai Long is a very messiah!

Looking forward to the Ozma/Bobby one and the Leon/Grace ones more. Tostugeki Love Heart won't suffer much from lack of singing talent, and while I can't remember which one LG are doing, but Inoue has an amazing voice (clearly the best member of DoCo back in the day). Also, Runner from Mikhail and Clang should be sweet.

Really? I didn't think "Shao Pai Long" was bad...it wasn't really great, either, though; it was just kinda...there.

Now Fire Bomber American...THAT makes the Baby Jesus cry.