Yamato 1/60 VF-1A/D/J/S v2.0

Dante74

anyone really that bothered by how low the nosecone went?

Me, as it makes it obvious that the fighter mode was emphasized on the 1/48 and that the other modes seemed like an afterthought. Sure the other modes aren't terrible but they are lacking. On the 1/60, not only do we have something more accurate, but more balanced, this is something I love on the 1/55.

I prefer the 1/60 2.0 generally in sculpt to the 1/48 but I'm still on the fence about the modified head placement. Was anyone really that bothered by how low the nosecone went?

I'm actually more bothered by how high the head sits... it's just clearly not right. It doesn't really stand out on the squatter heads like the 1a and 1j, but on the 1s, it's really noticeable, imo.

I just received my 1/60 v2.0 VF-1S NON-strike and I must say I am impressed. BUT, that shoulder hinge IS very fragile. The one I received is stable though, luckily. I'm only going to pose and display, so probably not a big deal for me. PERFECT size valk. I am very happy. Bring on the 1D, TV 1J & 1A's... I can't wait to get a cool diorama going.

sounds like we need a version 2 1/48 with support for 2 seaters.. (using the 2 seat mod that nightmareb4macross came up with)

All the improvements on the 1/60 like proper thrusters in the feet, the double joints, lack of low hanging shoulders etc could be standard for version 2.

I know that would probably drive the existing 1/60 guys crazy...but yamato needs your money.. Alright time to start the poll: "would you buy a version 2 1/48 line of vf-1?"

And I would say "yeah, with sideparts as standard". Then I could buy all the 1/60 at cheap prices as people upgrade to v2 1/48. To reduce costs and pressure on the hinge remove the diecast from the FAST packs, and the savings can go towards more tampo printing on the toy.

Toy would be aimed at the serious collector, and exploit the limited run of each release (make only enough to go around with the occasionally super duper limited release for the elite)

They could increase the gimmicks on the v2 like have head turret covers which could be removed or something. Hollow head lasers. Chest plate covers removable etc.( britai rips this off in SDFM) Just make it the ultimate toy.

scary part is they'll probebly do this in 4 or 5 years after they've had time to milk the crap of the 1/60's then 4 or 5 years after that, they'll come out with a line of Frontier toy's, but they'll be in some new weird scale like 1/52 or something, so it doesn't match anything we already have. so they'll start doing v.2 mac0 valks and v.3 plus valks and finaly v.4 VF-1's

I prefer the 1/60 2.0 generally in sculpt to the 1/48 but I'm still on the fence about the modified head placement. Was anyone really that bothered by how low the nosecone went?

Not me. The head position in the new 1/60 is what bothers me most. I understand the need for a 2 seater version, but they could have designed two different fuselages for "standard" valks and trainer ones. After all, even in the series the 2 seaters are a little longer in fighter mode. I was almost sold to buying a 1J and 1S Hikaru 1/60 to add to my version 1 collection before I saw your wondeful comparison article. Battroidwise, the newest Yamato toy is taller than its predecessor. Damn! That screws up my plans...

Edited by Nexx Stalker

The head on this V2 1/60 is really what bothers me the most, along with the extra long and scrawny legs.

Does anyone know if the the V2 1/60 is in true scale or is the V1 1/60 in true scale. In fighter mode they are almost the same length, but in battroid mode the V2 1/60 towers over its predecessor. :blink:

The problem with determining the actual height of the VF-1 in Battroid mode is that ideally you would have a model that was transformed from a fixed length fighter mode and once it transformed you could then measure the overall height. It's kind of backwards to stipulate a height for each mode and then work backwards hoping it all makes sense. Since fighter mode is the most fixed in terms of dimensions, you really only need that to figure out the sizes of the other modes because their dimensions should come naturally from the original fixed dimensions. There's also the problem of where do you measure the head height? Tip of the laser? It can move. Top of the head? I know in Five Star Stories they even measure from the robot's shoulders. The V2 is still 1/60 scale as in it is 1/60 the size of the given dimensions.

Exactly, the V1 1/60 was hand sculpted mold versus the V2 which was autocad designed and was incorperating similar features of the 1/48.

LAF is now listing the Hikaru VF-1A's for later this week for shipping........dammit

Got my 1/60 v2 VF-1A Hikaru with strike parts yesterday from my brother-in-law. He's stationed in Okinawa and happened to know exactly what I wanted for my birthday. I owe him a serious round when he's back for the holidays!

Damn it... the Destroid Tomahawk any day, VF-1J TV Hikaru soon, the VF-1D!!! My wallet is getting thinner, LOL.

All in all, I am glad I got rid of my 1/48's. While both the 1/48 & the 1/60v2 have their plus/minus points with the mold, I much prefer the 1/60 scale. And now that we're getting the Destroids and it's looking like we'll be getting all the deco's for the VF-1's, one can only hope that there's a Regult and a Glaug coming down the road with a reissue of the Queadluun-Rau in TV colors (green).

Edited by atreyu2112

So still no reports of breakages for the 1A ? Maybe the Yamato 1st release curse still prevails and lurks its ugly head with the VF-1S.

The shoulders are not as tight on the 1A and so far still no reported breakages. That and maybe the correct insertion of the metal pins in the shoulder hinges may have helped. I'm not sure on the latter but the looser shoulders definitely decrease the tension.

cool...

I'm sort of debating between the A & J variant right now. I saw the collectiondx review for VF-1A and it was overwhelmingly positive. The pics for the VF-1J look really nice though. Unfortunately only got budget for 2 valks and one is reserved for VF-25 DX. :D

yeah, I have it on preorder. LAFtoys charged me for it today.

Huh they charged you already?You sure it wasn't the VF-1A you got charged on cause the VF-1J is still shown for an end of October release...and it'll really be like end of November when they probably charge you seeing how they kept pushing the date back an extr amonth.

Edited by Hikuro

Huh they charged you already?You sure it wasn't the VF-1A you got charged on cause the VF-1J is still shown for an end of October release...and it'll really be like end of November when they probably charge you seeing how they kept pushing the date back an extr amonth.

I'd like to know as well, because on my LAFtoys account it says "awaiting cc processing" and the only thing I've got on pre-order is the 1J that I have placed like almost 2 months ago.

Yeah and do we get a TV coloured Strike cannon or what? (with the 1J)

The FASTPACKS were never shown to have any STRIKE cannons in the series, so what makes you think YAMATO will release them at all? (But of course, if they did that would make for an even more awesome 1/48 HIKARU 1J that a lot of us already have :D )!

Edited by connor99

I'd like to know as well, because on my LAFtoys account it says "awaiting cc processing" and the only thing I've got on pre-order is the 1J that I have placed like almost 2 months ago.

Here's what my order status says:

10/02/2008 | Processing | Card on file charged to reserve incoming Macross Product

The FASTPACKS were never shown to have any STRIKE cannons in the series, so what makes you think YAMATO will release them at all? (But of course, if they did that would make for an even more awesome 1/48 HIKARU 1J that a lot of us already have :D )!
Why i ask? Because hlj.com is charging the exact same price as if it were a Roy Strike pack. If it didn't have the Strike it should be less. Logically speaking of course.

Well mine says the same thing, only I have not been charged. Did you check your bank accounts to be sure you were charged? I didn't get the charge for my VF-1A until the 1st and I still have yet to recieve a shipping notification like I said from Image Anime for my VF-25....they just kept it pending on my account for almost 2 weeks.

But everything has cleared I just haven't been charged for a VF-1J, thank god.

Well mine says the same thing, only I have not been charged. Did you check your bank accounts to be sure you were charged? I didn't get the charge for my VF-1A until the 1st and I still have yet to recieve a shipping notification like I said from Image Anime for my VF-25....they just kept it pending on my account for almost 2 weeks.

But everything has cleared I just haven't been charged for a VF-1J, thank god.

Hmm, I have a large pending charge on my account but I don't see it as actually posted yet. :mellow:

Hm odd, considering it's not out for another entire month and they generally don't charge you until the product is there, and I don't have the charge at all, only on the VF-1A.

I'd email 'em and ask them what gives.

Edited by Hikuro