Yamato 1/60 VF-1A/D/J/S v2.0

Dante74

The pilot being a little too far forward in the cockpit, the mirror finish on the canopy, the fiddlyness of getting the hip bar in and out of the nose hatch during transformation, which is can be a real pain in the ass.

Apologies for the long rambling post, but basically, I’m just wondering if anybody else has is space limited and has already or has plans to retire the 1/48 in favor of the new 1/60 ver.2?

Graham

I'm fine with the forward pilot seat & prefer the green or blue tint canopy. I like better posing of the 1/60s, esp the arms. The very playable fighter mode with FPs also captivate me

Yes the hip bar in the nose hatch indeed a damn pain in the ass to remove on my 1S Focker. And the hip bar on my 1A Hikky is kinda loose, making the upper torso always dipping down when posing. Why can't Yamato applies the same hip bar system on the 1/48 to the new 1/60?

I'm running out of storage space if I keep both 1/48 & 1/60, esp the boxes. At first I'm hesitant to offload the 1/48 unti the 1J Hikky seem to be proving more sturdier than the 2 previous releases, at least IMO. So my hopes are high (cross my fingers!) that I will see even better 1/60s releases now that 1D & even 1S Max are coming next. And so I decided to sell off my 1/48s.

I'm only left with 1J Max/Millia (promised my girlfriend to keep them as she paid for Millia ^_^ ) & also the 1A Canon Fodder.

Also I prefer all my mecha in the small scale.

Edited by Javabean

After further playing, i just want to say I love these toys.

I love these toys too, the shoulder hinge is just one flaw that is irritating. Everything else is fine, removing the hip bar from the nose cone isn't even that hard anymore. I like my 1/60 much more than my 1/48, which in comparison, is a floppy mess. The 1/48 has a longer nose and more durable shoulder hinges, but that's about it.

the fiddlyness of getting the hip bar in and out of the nose hatch during transformation, which is can be a real pain in the ass.

Actually this is quite easy for me now, I have never done any web videos, but if I took pics, maybe it would be easier to pull off. It literally only takes me 3 seconds or less to pop that bar out of the nose hatch when going to battroid mode.

On the slim chance they still might reply, I've emailed Yamato to asked which ver.2 VF-1 (if any) have POM shoulder joints.

THANK YOU GRAHAM! I really appreciate that. If they are made out of POM I might go ahead and get the 1J and early bird the 1D for my birthday. I have a feeling that the 1J is the first to have POM shoulder hinges, the 1A doesn't look like it.

Changing to the new 1/60 would have several advantages. It would free up more space so I could make room for some other items like the Yamato Destroids. It would also mean that the majority of the toys in the cabinet would be a consistent scale.

At the moment, my display cabinet is arranged as follows: -

1st (top) Shelf (SDF/DYRL Shelf) = Yamato 1/48 VF-1 toys.

2nd Shelf (SDF/DYRL Shelf) = Yamato 1/48 VF-1 toys, plus Yamato 1/60 Q-Rau, Wave WHAM SDF-1.

3rd Shelf (Macross Plus Shelf) = Yamato 1/60 Macross Plus toys + Macross Plus Doyusha’s & Macross Plus GN-U.

4th Shelf (Macross Zero Shelf) = Yamato 1/60 Macross Zero Toys.

5th Shelf = Macross Model kits: various Hasegawa, Wave & Bandai kits.

6th (bottom) Shelf = Misc. Stuff: Takara 1/18 & 1/48 Votoms, CM’s Patlabor, Bandai Dragonar, Toynami Legioss.

I’m planning to clear out the miscellaneous non-Macross stuff, to make room for the Bandai Macross Frontier toys.

To be honest, I would just swap out the 2nd shelf items for the new 1/60 VF-1 toys, and then swap out the Doyusha's/GNU on the third shelf for the new 1/60 VF-1. That way, everything on the 3rd shelf is in scale. With the 2nd shelf, who knows, Yamato went back and redesigned the 1/60 VF-1, who says they won't do the same for the QRau? Also, the TV QRau is in demand, not to mention has different parts, justifying a new mold(that and I heard the DYRL Qrau toys are a bit floppy). I would put the WHAM SDF-1 with your 5th shelf which already has Wave products. If you wanted to clear out more, I would get every Toynami Legioss out except for one that you might want to combine with a Tread/Beta MPC. Then store away the 1/48 Votoms toys. Hell on the 4th shelf, I would take down any broken arm VF-0 toys, and just swap them for new 1/60 VF-1 toys. That way, everything is still the same scale, and you can display them as a "bridging the gap" display, from VF-0 to VF-1.

the biggest obstacle for me was that the 1/48 battroid beats the 1/60 hands down because of the size,

but then i realized that by using display stands for battroid form,

u can make ur 1/60 battroids even more imposing than the 1/48s could ever be.

The 1/60 battroids might not seem like they have much more articulation than the 1/48, but the truth is, it locks together more solidly and can be posed in much more dynamic positions.

First, thank you Yamato for reissuing the VF-1's with the same missile hardpoints as the Macross Zero VF-0's and SV-51's !! I've always loved the VF-1's huge reaction missiles, and will now be able to ad these (updated designs) to the SV-51 or VF-0 (and vice versa).

Well, two questions.

First question: What would be the best VF-1 update to get? I'm partial to the strike version, as I only have the original 1/60th VF-1J "Max", and I just love that big gun.

Second question: where can I get another particle beam cannon? I've always like dthe collectors customs with two pB-cannons in place instead of one PB-cannon and one missile launcher. That said, I'd also like the new missile launchers, as they can be opened now, showing interior detail (same goes for the leg armor btw).

Oh well, I think I've just answered my own questions... Just get two VF-1S strike versions, one Hikaru, one Focker. Two cannons, and two missile launchers. ^_^ ^_^

Edited by Remko

I only have room in my display case for one scale of VF-1. I’m still trying to decide if I should stick with the 1/48, which I’ve invested quite a lot of money in and which currently fill two shelves of my display case, or should I change to the new ver.2 1/60 VF-1?

Changing to the new 1/60 would have several advantages. It would free up more space so I could make room for some other items like the Yamato Destroids. It would also mean that the majority of the toys in the cabinet would be a consistent scale.

2nd Shelf (SDF/DYRL Shelf) = Yamato 1/48 VF-1 toys, plus Yamato 1/60 Q-Rau, Wave WHAM SDF-1.

3rd Shelf (Macross Plus Shelf) = Yamato 1/60 Macross Plus toys + Macross Plus Doyusha’s & Macross Plus GN-U.

6th (bottom) Shelf = Misc. Stuff: Takara 1/18 & 1/48 Votoms, CM’s Patlabor, Bandai Dragonar, Toynami Legioss.

I’m planning to clear out the miscellaneous non-Macross stuff, to make room for the Bandai Macross Frontier toys.

Putting my 1/48 VF-1 in storage and changing to the 1/60 would give me space for the Destroids as well, which I have no room for at the moment. Another advantage of switching to the 1/60 is that the two-seaters are coming, something we will never get with the 1/48. It would seem a no-brainer to switch, but I’m not completely sold on the 1/60 VF-1 yet.

While it’s overall a great sculpt and locks together much more solidly than the 1/48, not to mention the FPs are much more secure, there’s a few things I don’t like about it. 1) The pilot being a little too far forward in the cockpit, the mirror finish on the canopy, the fiddlyness of getting the hip bar in and out of the nose hatch during transformation, which is can be a real pain in the ass.

Apologies for the long rambling post, but basically, I’m just wondering if anybody else has is space limited and has already or has plans to retire the 1/48 in favor of the new 1/60 ver.2?

Graham

First off, Id love to see pics of your collection.

Second off, Im ina similar boat. do I put my 48's away so that i can have more room for new stuff as it is releasede? For now, no I wont. As space becomes more of an isue, i may have to re-address the problem.

Hell this is always a problem for me. and now that Im seriously considering getting some 1/6 scale figures, it's even worse.

Stupid space consuming hobby....

That 1D cockpit looks amazing. O_O Woo! A face on Hikaru!

awesome new pic of the vf-1d! makes getting the vf-1d even more worth it

i am so glad that i am so over the bandai chogokin vf-25 hype,

now i have more $$ for tomatoes... i mean yamatoes

So what specifically makes it so amazing -- the fact that the cockpit is completely smashed, or that it's much shorter than it should be, or because the pic is so small and grainy?

I will never put my 1:48 out of my display cabinet, they are by far the most exelente toys that i have and they are the only one that make all the people open their mouths i dont know but im not sold neither with this new 1:60 scale like graham said, im a big fighter mode fan, and the 1:48 at least for me is the best macross toy everrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Quite the contrary. I am both a Macross fan and a Robotech fan. If you read the written review it puts the music choice into perspective.

http://www.collectiondx.com/node/3353

That and I just thought it was funny...

Here in the Philippines, only the Robotech version was aired and it was only up to the point when the whole Bodolzaa fleet came out of hyperspace defolded over the Earth. After that they always replay the series back to episode 1. It was so frustrating. It was during a time when cable TV was not yet popular and we had to make do with what the local channels gave to us. It was only after 5 years later that I learned that Robotech != Macross. After researching more about Macross and Robotech, Ive came to a decision to avoid Robotech and stick with Macross because the story is more coherent :-)

I am retiring most of my 1/48 valks, I am only keeping the VF-1S Fokker, Hikaru, Low vis. and Stealth.

Although the 1/48 line looks impressive, I did not like the lack of detail on the cockpit, the big canopy and the long nosecone

The 1/60 VF-1 version 2 has better proportion, the only mistake was the forward seat cockpit which I fixed and now looks almost perfect.

The figures of the Vf-1D cockpit look too big. Once again, Yamato fails on that area.

I don't know why Yamato made the mistake of the pilots scale in all the 1/60 line. Almost all the figures look out of proportion in comparison of the dash and seat. The YF-19 pilot is almost the same size as the 1/48. The VF-0 and the SV-51 pilots also varies in size but they fit better on the cockpit. The VF-1 version 2 pilot has the worst looking position. It is sad that such a nice toy can't have a nice pilot figure.

Why Yamato can't make a cockpit with a better pilot and the seat in the proper distance like this:

cockpit.jpg

yup, the scrunched up pilot figure in the 1/60 vf-1 ver 2 really kills it for me. The 1/60 yf-19 used to be the most annoying for me with isamu in his sumo suit but the new 1/60 vf-1 really takes the cake. Suppose it could be worse though... there's always the little blob in the MP seekers and the purple blob in the DX vf-25. <shrug>

Been lurking for a while and i've already put the VF-1A into my cart, but it hasn't been charged to my card since Hlj won't process orders till the 5th. Guess i'll be waiting until then to see if hopefully this POM material made it into this model.

has anyone else put their TV Fast packs onto Roys plane? Means i get me a TV accurate AND a movie accurate 1S, which Im nerdy for.

Ine the TV show, u only see Hikaru, and later Max and Millia with FPs right?

Edited by Scream Man

has anyone else put their TV Fast packs onto Roys plane? Means i get me a TV accurate AND a movie accurate 1S, which Im nerdy for.

Ine the TV show, u only see Hikaru, and later Max and Millia with FPs right?

Those are the only ones featured but there's plenty of FP'd valks in the big show down towards the end of the show.

Quick request, can someone take pics or do a comparison of the new version 2 Hikaru vf-1j to the version 1 hikaru vf-1j? I am thinking of getting a version 2 but I am not sure if it is worth the expense. I have also not been following the developments of this line at all. Does anyone have any advice for me with regards to this Valk?

I only have room in my display case for one scale of VF-1. I’m still trying to decide if I should stick with the 1/48, which I’ve invested quite a lot of money in and which currently fill two shelves of my display case, or should I change to the new ver.2 1/60 VF-1?

Putting my 1/48 VF-1 in storage and changing to the 1/60 would give me space for the Destroids as well, which I have no room for at the moment. Another advantage of switching to the 1/60 is that the two-seaters are coming, something we will never get with the 1/48. It would seem a no-brainer to switch, but I’m not completely sold on the 1/60 VF-1 yet.

While it’s overall a great sculpt and locks together much more solidly than the 1/48, not to mention the FPs are much more secure, there’s a few things I don’t like about it. 1) The pilot being a little too far forward in the cockpit, the mirror finish on the canopy, the fiddlyness of getting the hip bar in and out of the nose hatch during transformation, which is can be a real pain in the ass.

Graham

Graham man, have you checked out my display techniques?? You should give it a shot, having v.2's separate, and the 1/48's and misc macross stuff together alone. (like CM figs)

Getting my first v.2, which is the 1S Hikky later his month, maybe February, but i'm pretty sure i'l never want to get rid of any of my 7 1/48's... think about the 1/48 NMB4M kits..

Show us a pic of your display! :)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

D'oh, should have noticed the heat shield.

Please post pics of the Hikaru 1S though. A lot of 1J pics floating around but I want to see this bad boy.

I don't like the poses myself so I didn't post it before. But if you are interested...

post-10384-1231079620_thumb.jpg

post-10384-1231079631_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the help guys, but could someone point me in the direction of a review of a version 2 then? I didn't see anything on the main site.

I did a review when the V2 1/60 VF-1S Strike was first released. The rview was discussed in the old thread.

Graham's Review

For some reason, I forgot to link it to the main site.

Graham