Yamato 1/60 VF-1A/D/J/S v2.0

Dante74

did Yamato ever "officially" say anything about the VF-0 shoulders and the fixes they made w/ the YF-19 or did people just buy them (YF19) anyway and found the fixes themselves? does anybody know?... well, if they didn't... guess they'll keep mum about the v.2 shoulder hinges. :huh:

Edited by m0n5t3r

SDK, i am sure the 1j shoulder hinges material for my Roy and Hikaru are the same.

When I say 1J, I refer to Hikaru's VF-1J, the Vermillion team one with red and white. Are you referring to the reissue Roy that came out this month and Hikaru's VF-1J, or his VF-1S?

They are definitely not ABS, and i am quite sure it is the same material used for the fast packs. they have good flexibility and will not break so easily.

The hinges on my Roy 1S(1st release) were ABS and could flex.

Anyway, i thought we were already agreed that the shoulder hinge crack was due to the screw going in the wrong way???

Its nothing to do with the material at all.

We thought it was, but found out later it didn't matter. Someone had a 1A break, both hinges with the burr ends facing downwards.

Its nothing to do with the material at all.

No, it has everything to do with it. The 1/48 never had reported shoulder hinge breakages, similar design, except that it is stationary. Made of POM. No breakages. Had it been ABS? You can bet there would have been breakages.

i highly doubt yamato will change the material.

They can, they have made changes before. 1/72 YF-19 1.5 had fixed Tab B parts. 1/72 VF-11B w/FAST packs had fixed hips. 1/60 VF-0S w/GHOST had fixed arms.

it may very well have already been POM in the first place, just the screw going in the wrong way caused all those reported breakages.

It certainly isn't POM. POM is used on the 1/48 shoulder hinges and there is a distinct difference in feel, and appearance. Also, jenius has a 1J with no breakages and the pins are facing opposite directions.

Do yourself a favor and get the vf-1j... i am sure you will enjoy it

Not if the hinges break. If it is POM(which I am really, really hoping for as Hikaru is one of my favorite characters and his 1J is combat relevant), then I will buy that, the VF-1D and more.

did Yamato ever "officially" say anything about the VF-0 shoulders and the fixes they made w/ the YF-19 or did people just buy them (YF19) anyway and found the fixes themselves? does anybody know?... well, if they didn't... guess they'll keep mum about the v.2 shoulder hinges.

For the VF-0, no, we got our info either via Graham, or indirectly through Over Drive. The first time Graham asked, Yamato told him that there were no reported breakages from Japanese customers. For the 1/72 YF-19, Yamato went as far as to make a 1.5, I forgot if it was marked on the box but I do remember that there was a way to tell before buying.

u know it just occured to me that all of the 1/60's released so far are flown by Hikaru. I mena the 1S is roys, but was also

flown by Hikky, the 1A and 1J are his, the 1S hikky and then the 1D!

I heard that hero characters in Japan are typically shown with red and white colors for costumes, mecha, or vehicles. Isamu, Hikaru, Alto, Sylvie, and Basara all had red, Shin had it on his helmet.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

even alto only flew 2 kinds of valks (vf-25f and vf-171ex)

i definitely wont buy all of hikaru's valks,

if i could choose again, i'd still choose his TV 1J over the DYRL 1S, 1A and his noob TV 1D

i need the money for other pilots :D

Guys, when transforming to battroid, I'm having an impossible time lining up the swing bar to fit into the groove in the back of the nosecone.

Once I achieve the appropriate angle to slide the entire mechanism under the hatch, I can't seem to pull/slide it down any further to line up with the groove so that I can close the hatch.

No swingbar in groove = unable to close the hatch.

This is with the most recent 1S Hikaru, so perhaps the parts are just really right. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Edited by emerson

Guys, when transforming to battroid, I'm having an impossible time lining up the swing bar to fit into the groove in the back of the nosecone.

Once I achieve the appropriate angle to slide the entire mechanism under the hatch, I can't seem to pull/slide it down any further to line up with the groove so that I can close the hatch.

No swingbar in groove = unable to close the hatch.

This is with the most recent 1S Hikaru, so perhaps the parts are just really right. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

The nose has to be pushed up. You will see slits on the side, below the black stripe, near where the head rests in fighter mode. You have to push the nose section up until the slits are no longer visible, a plate on the chest slides into those slits. Then make sure the swing bar is parallel to the backplate, it can angle and you can feel a detent which locks it into position, make sure the bar is aligned with the backplate and not at an angle when getting the hip bar in.

Alright, got my VF-1S Hikaru (my first 1/60 ver.2) two days ago and all I can say for the moment is that Yamato have done a fantastic job. This is going to be my benchmark to judge other VF-1s and Valkyries in general. Battroid is gorgeous, everything locks snugly into place and the joints are tight, almost too tight at times.

Two VF-1S'... one craptacular...

post-4055-1230745492_thumb.jpg

My one complaint is the lack of side covers. Not just for aesthetics but I think would have been a practical thing to help support/hold that square shoulder plate in place. I can't tell if the shoulder hinge/plate is new but when holding it in the light one can see a very mild texturing on the canted edges of the plate (side with the ball joint). Does that make it POM? I forgot to take pics of this piece and I don't want to un-transform my Valk at moment.

My crappy take on this Valk's most memorable scene...

post-4055-1230745932_thumb.jpgpost-4055-1230746180_thumb.jpg

post-4055-1230746035_thumb.jpgpost-4055-1230746104_thumb.jpgpost-4055-1230746254_thumb.jpg

I tried Overdrive for the first time and the experience was great. They even e-mailed me back to ask whether I wanted a specific

amount in the invoice. The end result being that it took exactly one week to arrive and best of all I paid nothing on customs/taxes.

I tried Overdrive for the first time and the experience was great. They even e-mailed me back to ask whether I wanted a specific

amount in the invoice. The end result being that it took exactly one week to arrive and best of all I paid nothing on customs/taxes.

Wha...they do that? Dammit I'm probably getting dinged by customs, actually assuredly, for my order from them. Next time I'll know what to ask them to do. B))

I can't tell if the shoulder hinge/plate is new but when holding it in the light one can see a very mild texturing on the canted edges of the plate (side with the ball joint). Does that make it POM?

It might very well be, I noticed that in the picture you posted next to the old 1/60, the shoulder armor and pieces are distinctly brighter than the rest of the arm pieces, which are in an off white/light grey.

Thanks for the review, CollectionDX. (wrong music though)

I can tell you are not a MACROSS fans. :lol:

Hahaha cool review there. I have a noob question guys. Is the transformation for all the 1/60 version2 VF-1 the same? I have a VF-1J and I cant find a transformation video for it. Theres plenty for the VF-1A though. So are all the transformation sequence the same for VF-1A, 1S and 1J? Thanks.

Hahaha cool review there. I have a noob question guys. Is the transformation for all the 1/60 version2 VF-1 the same? I have a VF-1J and I cant find a transformation video for it. Theres plenty for the VF-1A though. So are all the transformation sequence the same for VF-1A, 1S and 1J? Thanks.

Should be pretty much the same, the only real difference between the valks is the heads.

I only have room in my display case for one scale of VF-1. I’m still trying to decide if I should stick with the 1/48, which I’ve invested quite a lot of money in and which currently fill two shelves of my display case, or should I change to the new ver.2 1/60 VF-1?

Changing to the new 1/60 would have several advantages. It would free up more space so I could make room for some other items like the Yamato Destroids. It would also mean that the majority of the toys in the cabinet would be a consistent scale.

At the moment, my display cabinet is arranged as follows: -

1st (top) Shelf (SDF/DYRL Shelf) = Yamato 1/48 VF-1 toys.

2nd Shelf (SDF/DYRL Shelf) = Yamato 1/48 VF-1 toys, plus Yamato 1/60 Q-Rau, Wave WHAM SDF-1.

3rd Shelf (Macross Plus Shelf) = Yamato 1/60 Macross Plus toys + Macross Plus Doyusha’s & Macross Plus GN-U.

4th Shelf (Macross Zero Shelf) = Yamato 1/60 Macross Zero Toys.

5th Shelf = Macross Model kits: various Hasegawa, Wave & Bandai kits.

6th (bottom) Shelf = Misc. Stuff: Takara 1/18 & 1/48 Votoms, CM’s Patlabor, Bandai Dragonar, Toynami Legioss.

I’m planning to clear out the miscellaneous non-Macross stuff, to make room for the Bandai Macross Frontier toys.

Putting my 1/48 VF-1 in storage and changing to the 1/60 would give me space for the Destroids as well, which I have no room for at the moment. Another advantage of switching to the 1/60 is that the two-seaters are coming, something we will never get with the 1/48. It would seem a no-brainer to switch, but I’m not completely sold on the 1/60 VF-1 yet.

While it’s overall a great sculpt and locks together much more solidly than the 1/48, not to mention the FPs are much more secure, there’s a few things I don’t like about it. 1) The pilot being a little too far forward in the cockpit, the mirror finish on the canopy, the fiddlyness of getting the hip bar in and out of the nose hatch during transformation, which is can be a real pain in the ass.

Apologies for the long rambling post, but basically, I’m just wondering if anybody else has is space limited and has already or has plans to retire the 1/48 in favor of the new 1/60 ver.2?

Graham

I only have room in my display case for scale of VF-1. I’m still trying to decide if I should stick with the 1/48, which I’ve invested quite a lot of money in and which currently fill two shelves of my display case, or should I change to the new ver.2 1/60 VF-1?

Changing to the new 1/60 would have several advantages. It would free up more space so I could make room for some other items like the Yamato Destroids. It would also mean that the majority of the toys in the cabinet would be a consistent scale.

2nd Shelf (SDF/DYRL Shelf) = Yamato 1/48 VF-1 toys, plus Yamato 1/60 Q-Rau, Wave WHAM SDF-1.

3rd Shelf (Macross Plus Shelf) = Yamato 1/60 Macross Plus toys + Macross Plus Doyusha’s & Macross Plus GN-U.

6th (bottom) Shelf = Misc. Stuff: Takara 1/18 & 1/48 Votoms, CM’s Patlabor, Bandai Dragonar, Toynami Legioss.

I’m planning to clear out the miscellaneous non-Macross stuff, to make room for the Bandai Macross Frontier toys.

Putting my 1/48 VF-1 in storage and changing to the 1/60 would give me space for the Destroids as well, which I have no room for at the moment. Another advantage of switching to the 1/60 is that the two-seaters are coming, something we will never get with the 1/48. It would seem a no-brainer to switch, but I’m not completely sold on the 1/60 VF-1 yet.

While it’s overall a great sculpt and locks together much more solidly than the 1/48, not to mention the FPs are much more secure, there’s a few things I don’t like about it. 1) The pilot being a little too far forward in the cockpit, the mirror finish on the canopy, the fiddlyness of getting the hip bar in and out of the nose hatch during transformation, which is can be a real pain in the ass.

Apologies for the long rambling post, but basically, I’m just wondering if anybody else has is space limited and has already or has plans to retire the 1/48 in favor of the new 1/60 ver.2?

Graham

i am one of those who sold off my 1/48 already for my 1/60 vf-1 collection :)

no turning back for me

the biggest obstacle for me was that the 1/48 battroid beats the 1/60 hands down because of the size,

but then i realized that by using display stands for battroid form,

u can make ur 1/60 battroids even more imposing than the 1/48s could ever be.

thanks to the display stand, the battroid can achieve greater height and dynamics too

as for fighter and gerwalk, the 1/60 looks waaay better to me IMHO :)

I only have room in my display case for scale of VF-1. I’m still trying to decide if I should stick with the 1/48, which I’ve invested quite a lot of money in and which currently fill two shelves of my display case, or should I change to the new ver.2 1/60 VF-1?

Graham

I rotate my stock about every 3 months in my display. Gives me an excuse to dust them off. :rolleyes:

That 1D cockpit looks amazing. O_O Woo! A face on Hikaru!

awesome new pic of the vf-1d! makes getting the vf-1d even more worth it

i am so glad that i am so over the bandai chogokin vf-25 hype,

now i have more $$ for tomatoes... i mean yamatoes

Now you know exactly why I want to see the shoulder hinges fixed.

Im sorry, my poor typing has obviously made what I said unclear.

After further playing, i just want to say I love these toys.

All my VF-1's are fine. I admit, i had a scare today wioth my 51's leg breaking, but i fixed it, and i think its ok now. and thats after playing for....god when did the black 51 come out? Awhile ago now.... and yeah, a peg in the leg snapped. But I fixed it, and now u would neevr know. ad thats the first break Ive had (Not related to a mishap like a fall) in a Yamato toy ever.

Graham

Already done. Except for 1 copy of S/J/A each all my 1/48's are gone. Only 1/60 scale from now on.

I have thought about retiring my 1/48's, in favor of the 1/60's because of the scale, but I enjoy the 1/48 customs I have. Until I can justify making new customs (or having them made), I think I will have to hold off.

Only the introduction of 1/60 battle pods would push the 1/48's off of the shelf right now.