Why don't the Angel Birds get any respect?

EXO

The Angel Birds Valkyries got more screen time than the Elint Seeker, just about the same as the GBP, was seen around the same time as the VF-1D, and there were more than one in the series ... so I don't understand why it's exiled to custom land as far as toys are concerned. It's obviously not getting fan-based demand. I just don't understand why not? At first I thought it was because most companies concentrate on the DYRL valks but that doesn't explain the VF-1D. Or maybe it was never pilotted by a main character, but again that doesn't explain the Elint.

So my question is why not?

The only thing I can say is, the color scheme is a little too gaudy for me. I know some people like the red white and blue. I like red white and blue on American flags, but not all over a valkyrie. It kind of reminds me of those guitars or automobiles with the american flag painted all over it. Of course, that hasn't stopped toy companies from releasing stuff before. I think the closest valk that resembles the Angel is that Takatoku French version, but that thing is hiddeous. :D Personally, I would rather have someone release the Strike Eagle. Now there's a color scheme, simple yet elegant.

Probably because "Angel Birds" sounds stupid to those whose native language is English...

JMHO.

I agree, but if there was say a Blue Angels Valk I'd jump on that, Thunderbirds might be cool too.

I always thought the Angel birds were based on the Snow Birds team, kinda the same paint scheme too.

Probably because "Angel Birds" sounds stupid to those whose native language is English...

JMHO.

I agree, but if there was say a Blue Angels Valk I'd jump on that, Thunderbirds might be cool too.

I always thought the Angel birds were based on the Snow Birds team, kinda the same paint scheme too.

I always thought they just spliced the two existing US teams:

Thunderbirds + Blue Angels = Angel Birds

But I tend to agree, "Angel Birds" is sort of a redundant/goofy name for a flight demonstration team. Why aren't they called the "Sky Flyers" for Pete's sake? <_<

Edited by Draykov

Hey...the Angel Birds did get their "props" (as the kids call them today) from Hasegawa.

That is true. Did Bandai/Takatoku ever make one, or are those just customs I've seen? As goofy as the name sounds, if Yamato were ever to do a toy, I'd be in line to buy it. A lot of folks are sick of VF-1s, and I wouldn't mind seeing some new stuff, but the VF-1 never gets old for me. :)

Edited by Draykov

They should have just made them "The Blue Impulse" demo team. That's the Japanese Aerial Demonstration Squadron and they have a kick ass scheme....

http://jaddams.csw.uic.edu/aod/images/BlueImpulse/

T-2BlueImpulse1.gif

T-4BlueImpulse1.gif

Edited by Skull-1

Just to piss you off.

Meeting at Yamato a few monthes ago-

Design Team: So which one should we make, a Low-Vis VF-1A or an Angel Birds VF-1A?

Board of Directors: Hmmm, well, which one does Alex want more?

Design Team: Our research and spys at Macrossworld say it's probably the Angel Birds.

Board of Directors: Low-Viz it is. Make it so.

:lol:

Seriously though, the TV style Valks are a little different than the DYRL style ones. Different enough that they had to resculpt some of the parts. (ie. new cockpit as seen in Grahams thread, and IIRC, the arms are slightly different too.) Since Yamato has just started making TV style 1/48s, there's a few VF-1s they have to make first. The Hikaru VF-1J is tied with Skull Leader for most recognized from the TV series so they had to put that one out first. (plus, everyone would lynch them if they didn't come out with a different head this time). Maybe after that or after M&M VF-1Js, they'll come out with a resculpted TV style VF-1A head for the 1/48s. That way they could do Max and Hayao's VF-1As and maybe a limited edition Angel Bird.

LOL, that cracked me up... :lol:

Actually, Alex wants the Low-Viz more. I'm just trying to figure out when and why fans get fanatical about certain things and why the Angel Birds are reduced to below cult status. Even the Lightning has an bigger cult in MW and that's an almost impossible toy to make compared to a different paint scheme of a toy that's been produced by many different companies.

Bsu, I was aware of the Hase version, that's why I posted that as a toy, it has never been considered.

Like I've said before, I would happily pick up a LE 1/48 Angel Birds.

to put it simple:

They're supposed to be the best, but....

They got their behinds kicked by an amateur in a fanracer

*I'd sign up for a fanracer - or catseye 1/60 or 1/48

Oh I see... it's the paint that makes a crappy valk... because that's the only difference right?

That explains how fast the cars are in those Fast and Furious movies... it's all in how much vinyl stickers the car has... :rolleyes:

JMHO.

Sure, but most of the terms are odd-sounding to say anyways. Grenade Box Protector? Radiant Silvergun? There are too many Japanese names and designations that strike the western ear in an odd way. Come to think of it, Strike Valkyrie sounds wierd too. And would anyone say that the Angel Birds' name sounds any stranger than the Blue Angels?

The Angel Birds Valkyrie toy, if there ever is an official Yamato effort, will cater to a certain niche like the 'Low Vis does. And if you ask me, an Angel Birds' Valkyrie would sooner take a spot in my airfield long before a 'Seeker ever would...

Strike Valkyrie sounds just fine. Strike Eagle is American.... Strike Valk sounds the same.

Japanese are morons when it comes to naming things in English. Anyone remember the "car door anti-freeze" stuff that came out a few years back? It was called "Super Piss."

:)

They gotta make a CF. no Macross Collection is complete without it. The custom one I saw in these forums was absolutely beaut...They could really easily make it. But I reckon that Yamato would want to make the valks that sell really well first. That's why they brought out Hikaru first and Roy not long after.

BTW I know that the Low Viz has the USS Asuka stickers on them and etc etc bu tis it guaranteed a debut in Macross Zero?

The Angel Birds valk would not be very hard for Yamato to do. All they would need to do is change the paint job on a white VF-1A. My 1/60 AB custom, which used a Max 1A as a base, wasn't terribly difficult (once I finished the decals):

ab_fighter_top.jpg

Changing paint jobs and selling variants of the same valk is nothing new to Yamato (they are masters at it), but I agree with many here who think that it's too much of a "niche market" valk that relies greatly on personal taste (many don't like the color scheme). Not that I wouldn't do backflips if Yamato released one (especially since Hasegawa already has), but I'm not holding my breath....