SDFM Music... why isn't it as good as RT's?!

RF-26AAC

Ok, I know everyone hates the RT plotline, but it's not all bad, really!!

Yes, the Minmay vocals are terrible, but what I am talking about are the Ulpio Minucci symphonic bits used in the Macross Saga section.

Yeah, I grew up on RT, ok, but I've never even seen past episode 36. Never cared to.

Hell, for the first 18 years I knew of the series I only had the first 5 episodes-- that's it!!

I was watching SDF:M for the first time and I was like, wow, the RT music makes it so much better!!

So I got to thinking, what if someone were to say, use the good, Ulpio symphonic bits of the RT soundtrack, but keep the macross plotline and japanese language voiceovers?

Oh, to be more specific the vocals ALL suck and everything after Ep 36 sucks, too.

I think that would make the experience better, does anyone else think the RT soundtrack is better?

pleeeeeease don't flame meeee >_<

edited.

Edited by RF-26AAC

RT music isn't that good. The Ulpio stuff is good but they're really short that they have to loop it. But after the Macross saga, the music start to suck especially the synth sound of New Gen.

Watch DYRL and hear how good Macross music is. Buy the Macross, The Complete cds... it's really good. Yeah, the RT theme song and some little snippets are addicting but once you hear how it's looped and badly strung together, you'll change your mind.

Now this is a first :huh: ... can't argue with you for the simple fact that I've never seen RT.

Also I'm an avid fan Macross BGM score, (duh de du! duuu de du de du!!) so I doubt anything would be able to compete with the original score for me. Hmmm maybe Yoko Kanno redoing the music would be awesome... but no, touching the original score is heresy! :ph34r:

Guess you saw RT first, so to you the RT score is the 'original'. :unsure:

Also, I hope you're not including VOCAL tracks with this... I've heard some clips of the RT Minmay singing... and well... there's just no contest there. :mellow:

Edited by VF-25 Messiah

Wow!

Them's as big as churchbells, they is!

The thing that makes the Macross franchise timeless for many is the music itself.

RT's music is bland and unimaginative, particularly the Minmay drek. It's the same 2 themes repeated over and over, while Macross has a couple of main themes, with songs tossed in for the sake of mood. Even Mac 7 with it's overplay of the music still underscored many events well with the show's music.

Essentially RT is how a layman would use music for a show and Macross is what an accomplished director who understands how music affects a story's mood would use.

I can understand a person's desire to relive their childhood love, but you will find few if any supporters of your proposal here...

Edited by Zinjo

I watched RT first so that background synth stuff will always have a warm place in my heart. My brother still has the Robotech Zentraedi Theme as my ring tone when I call him. The first time I watched the original Macross I thought the background music there (just background mind you, Minmay is all sorts of win when it's Mari) was pretty lackluster. After watching more Macross though it grew on me just as much as the techno stuff had with RT when I was little. Now I can imagine the opening to DYRL with the SDF coming into the light and that orchestral stuff is pretty effective.

YUCKS!!!

Only for people who watched RT first, i bet. ;)

TS, you're brainwashed... Get that music out of your head ASAP! NOW!~~ Save yourselves!!~~~ *faint echoes* :ph34r:

PS > TS, are you a troll? :mellow: j/k :p

Edited by Shun

Ok, I know everyone hates the RT plotline, but it's not all bad, really!!

I was watching SDF:M for the first time and I was like, wow, the RT music makes it so much better!!

So I got to thinking, what if someone were to say, use the RT soundtrack, but keep the macross plotline and japanese language voiceovers?

I think that would make the experience better, does anyone else think the RT soundtrack is better?

pleeeeeease don't flame meeee >_<

Oh god, that was so funny that even the famous Commander Shepard of the SSV Normandy can't keep up : Mass Effect: Commander Shepard Is Such A Jerk

Oh god, that was so funny that even the famous Commander Shepard of the SSV Normandy can't keep up : Mass Effect: Commander Shepard Is Such A Jerk

Oh, the new age garbage sucks and so do ALL of the Vocal tracks, but the Ulpio stuff is good!!

DYRL had good music but I dunno, SDF:M felt like it was too quiet sometimes, or like something was missing, it didn't quite have that same epic feel as what some of the ulpio stuff does.

*SOME* of the Ulpio stuff would be really good if we could just have JDM story and VO with it...

Edited by RF-26AAC

The thing that makes the Macross franchise timeless for many is the music itself.

RT's music is bland and unimaginative, particularly the Minmay drek. It's the same 2 themes repeated over and over, while Macross has a couple of main themes, with songs tossed in for the sake of mood. Even Mac 7 with it's overplay of the music still underscored many events well with the show's music.

BOMBAA!

But seriously, I also started with Robotech. Mind you I only ever watched the Macross Saga because that was the only part that looked good and I was in love with the VF-1 when I first saw a picture of it (imagine what happen when I saw the stuff from Plus and 7), so it was somewhat destiny that I'd eventually find the real Macross and re-devote myself to that. I watched Japanese anime before Robotech or Macross so it was easy for me to like Japanese music and when I first heard the Macross theme song play out I was mesmerized. Now whenever I hear the Robotech theme it doesn't do anything for me anymore, it did once, but no more.

You have to admit it: Robotech's theme is just sooo way better than SDF Macross opening!

MA-CU-ROOS, MA-CU-ROOS! :p

Of which are you in favor? Your sentence implies you like the RT theme then you go on with the Macross lyrics, or is that sarcasm?

Only a couple of Robotech songs really stand out to me. Macross music sounds better to me overall and the themes are more inspired.

I also like the Minmay songs a lot better as well, despite not knowing the words. Takes me back to my youth playing NES Macross on Emulators w/ Shao Pai Long on repeat LOL.

Only a couple of Robotech songs really stand out to me. Macross music sounds better to me overall and the themes are more inspired.

I also like the Minmay songs a lot better as well, despite not knowing the words. Takes me back to my youth playing NES Macross on Emulators w/ Shao Pai Long on repeat LOL.

I don't get excited when I hear the MA-KU-ROSSSS, I am sorry to say. I do get excited when I hear "kimi wa dare to kisu o suru", for instance... but that sad-sounding man doesn't make me excited to see the show, I feel like I could be sitting down to watch any other Japanese drama, not the coolest mecha show ever. I still get all excited when I hear the RT opening theme, but holy jesus the Macross opening is SOOO much better than the RT opening (insofar as footage is concerned)

The JDM VOCAL music is the win for sure, the english minmay is absolute drivel.

But seriously, I know some of you, deny it or not, saw RT first, SDF:M feels kinda empty (BGM wise) sometimes and I really wish I could have my music back but with my japanese language vocals/subtitles.

Oh, and that SNES Macross sidescrolling shooter game was PURE WIN! Hell, even the lousy 8-bit NES did an OK job! :)

Edited by RF-26AAC

I admitted I saw Robotech first, but I still like all the Macross music overall, including the opening. It isn't the MA-KU-ROSS thing that gets me, it is the other parts actually. Especially with translation and you know what he is saying, I like those parts. Especially the part of the song when the Macross is shown firing it's cannon in carrier mode (which is a great shot btw because it never actually does that in the show).

Actually, about half of DYRL's background music is from the tv series soundtrack.

Maybe because I've seen RT I've kinda tainted it for myself?

I dunno, I guess it's like, eating something that doesn't taste at all like you remember it tasting...

Imagine having a spoonful of captain crunch and it tastes like raisin bran instead.

I admitted I saw Robotech first, but I still like all the Macross music overall, including the opening. It isn't the MA-KU-ROSS thing that gets me, it is the other parts actually. Especially with translation and you know what he is saying, I like those parts. Especially the part of the song when the Macross is shown firing it's cannon in carrier mode (which is a great shot btw because it never actually does that in the show).

I said I liked the Macross OP's footage better, but I dunno,... ... gosh, I dunno where to go with this but I just... like the RT OP better and the RT (Macross Saga) background music more...

Edited by RF-26AAC

I think Raisin Bran is not that bad actually but I know what you mean... I like Cap'n Crunch as well.

You know, actually when I watched Robotech, before I converted to Macross, the only thing I thought was good about the music was the opening song. Aside from that I didn't care about the music at all, and I especially didn't see it as playing that important of a role. Matter of fact I hated Minmay, thought she was the most annoying. In Macross I like the music and I can see how important it is to everything, and for some reason here Minmei isn't nearly as annoying to me, I can tolerate her a lot more in Macross. Of course we all agree Minmei's robotech songs were pretty bad I think.

I watched RT first. The opening theme sounds too much like the Superman theme. The rest of the music is forgettable, clashes with a lot of scenes, and is forgettable like most cartoon music (the only things that ever stick from cartoons are those openings with a few repetitive lyrics). And Minmei made my ears bleed. Minmay's songs on the other hand are fantastic, especially DYRL and Angel Paint.

Macross bgm is great. Especially DYRL. :)

I don't get excited when I hear the MA-KU-ROSSSS, I am sorry to say.

WHAT ?!!! I didn't see RT, but the MA-KU-ROSSSS in SDF is... good :D I liked listening to the OP, it was not so good for my stomack thought :lol:

Edited by rubi

Well...I for one like the Robotech OP much better than I do the Macross TV OP. The latter is a little too dramatic for me. I also love "Broken Heart" by Ulpio Minucci, "Desolation," "Love Themes," "Roy Fokker's Theme," "Reconstruction Blues," and "Private Time." I think all of those are wonderful and absolutely fantastic. ...Then you have, from Macross, "Violin of Tears," "Melody of Sorrow," "Dogfighter," and "Stardust Memory"...and three other nameless tracks (26, 30, 42 from disc 3) that are absolutely beautiful as well.

If you were to compare "Broken Heart" to "Violin of Tears"...the latter seems to evoke more out of me than the former does. "Dogfighter" just kills "Battle Stations" in my opinion. I used to like the Robotech BGM better than I did the Macross BGM...but now I'm on the fence about it. Both have their pros and cons I think. I wouldn't mind seeing both BGMs on Macross TV.... If all of the Robotech titles, that I listed above, were on Macross TV...I'd be more in love with Macross TV than I am now.

As for the vocals...I prefer Minmay's songs over Minmei's....or Mari Iijima over Reba West.... HOWEVER, I do like Minmei's "To Be In Love"...call me crazy...but I do like it.

My two cents.

I really don't think Robotech's music was better than Macross' :p

That being said... I *do* think Robotech's music was pretty great. God knows I despise the artistic butchering Robotech stands for, and I'm definitly not fonds of the crap music the American often put when they "localise" animes (*shudders* at the thought of Knights of the Zodiac). But I'd say Ulpio juste doesn't get the credit he deserver. Eck if there was one good thing about Robotech, that was music IMO (and even -that- they managed to screw up in Shadow Chronicles... TSC was a crapfest of epic proportion anyway, but when you compare to music to the original series... ugh)

That being said I do feel the music in Robotech and Macross gives a very different feel... Robotech has a very militaristic/patrioc feel, while I feel Macross has a more melancolic and contemplative feel. I remember the first time I saw Macross it feel really weird, because even though I already knew the animation from Robotech, the music gave such a drasctically different atmosphere that it felt like a totally different series (which I guess it is)

As far as song goes I must confesse I always had a soft sport for "We Will Win"... that part of Robotech always gave me shivers. My brains pretty much short circuited when I saw Macross and realised it was pretty much the opposite of Ai Wa Nagareru and essentially betrayed everything Macross stands for :wacko:

-Sergorn

I'm surprised that a thread with a title SO PRECISELY CALCULATED to make a Macross fan's blood boil hasn't been locked yet...

Anyway: flame flame flame flame flame. I used to make fun of Robotech music when I was eleven, and it hasn't improved appreciably since. Some of the Macross BGM hasn't aged terribly well, either, but overall, I think it holds up better.

Orchestral music > cheesy '80s synth.

Ok. I grew up on Robotech and I absolutely hate the music. I honestly don't understand how anybody can like it. The music in Macross is so much better. There's no comparison.

I'm surprised that a thread with a title SO PRECISELY CALCULATED to make a Macross fan's blood boil hasn't been locked yet...

Nobody has begun to demand that to burn the heretics yet... xD

I think it is quite the oposite, robotech bgm is way worse. Macross is better from the ones used in dogfights to the drama ones.

To tell the truth i watched only 2 episodes of Robotech, that i dled from Kaaza at the time. Lucky for me to have my old memories from the original macross.

I know it is not perfect. IMHO one of the bad bgm is the track 18 from cd1 of "The Complete".

Edited by akt_m

The AMERICAN singing by LYNN MINMEI in ROBOTECH was absolutely atrocious. I can't see how anyone would think she could sing. I mean c'mon! Just listen!! She's out of tune on EVERY SONG and can't hit cetain notes. :wacko: Now instrumental-wise, I like both, but they are VERY different.

Okay someone needs to impale themselves imediatly, oh yeah that only implies to those who prefer Reba West as Minmay over Mari who by the way did a way better job. As for the Robotech BGM it was fine for while, but the original Macross BGM rocks.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet