My theory on Lanka and Sheryl

lord_breetai

Not likely. Since as revealed in chapter 18 Sheryl was a homeless girl unrelated to Ranka, Ranshe or Dr. Mao... Is more probable that Grace gave her the V-Type infection. The witchcraft 639 pills kept the infection from advancing. However, the infection didn't give her the abilities Grace wanted.

Ranka on the other part can keep the infection from advancing somehow (perhaps she's granddaughter of Dr. Mao) and uses it to communicate with the Vajra...

I think that's looking way too much into it. They revealed her to be a random homeless girl, I think going back at this point would be silly. I'm thankful they went this route, otherwise this would all be a bit ridiculous and silly.

Right... a random homeless girl named "Nome" who has Alpha Bombay Blood... I still think she's related to Mao; We already knew she was an orphan. Showing us that doesn't dis validate the idea she would be related to Mao. All it shows us is that she was homeless before Grace took her in; it doesn't tell us why grace chose her in the first place. Which I believe is due to her Alpha Bombay blood she inherited from Mao, which Grace found out about after working with Mao herself. We don't know how she became homeless and orphaned in the first place (was it when the 117 fleet was destroyed? for example) so it's a little early to discount the Nome connection yet.

You guys seem to assume that the infection was supposed to give her, the powers the shadow group wanted her to have. Instead of the more simple explanation that because Grace new Mao she learned of the powers that Mao and Sara had... and thought that her daughter or granddaughter might have had those same powers. The Virus wasn't meant to give Sheryl powers it was meant to keep her on a tight leash and dependent on Grace.

I'd pretty much be willing to bet money, there's more to Sheryl's origins then just "a random street urchin, that grace randomly selected for no apparent reason". That's just totally silly, it brings Sheryl's question of "why" back up, for one.

Edited by lord_breetai

Right... a random homeless girl named "Nome" who has Alpha Bombay Blood...

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that Sheryl Nome was not her real name. And any anomalies with her blood are most likely the result of the experimentation.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that Sheryl Nome was not her real name. And any anomalies with her blood are most likely the result of the experimentation.

There has been no mention at all in the series that her original identity was not as Sheryl Nome.

As far as her having an "Alpha Bombay" blood type, I can´t source that, since I never noticed before when that could have come up.

you guys talk of the blood type like if it was alien, I know there is the bombay blood type in real life, are we sure there is no an alpha bombay, considering there are over 200 minor blood types.

the main thing about the aphos blood was that it was human universal blood so it could be use as a donor for anyone, not just the Nomes. Bombay type can give to any blood type, but can only receive from another bombay type.

Edited by RichterX

There has been no mention at all in the series that her original identity was not as Sheryl Nome.

As far as her having an "Alpha Bombay" blood type, I can´t source that, since I never noticed before when that could have come up.

What I meant was, and this is how it came off to me, that Sheryl Nome is a total fabrication, she in reality was just another homeless girl that Grace picked up to experiment on. That was the impression I get from that scene. Maybe I am reading too much into it, I don't know. And I don't recall that issue with the blood, either, other than the fact they had clearly done something to it.

Had she been Mao's granddaughter, I think this would have played out entirely differently. Somebody would have said something about it by now.

What I meant was, and this is how it came off to me, that Sheryl Nome is a total fabrication, she in reality was just another homeless girl that Grace picked up to experiment on. That was the impression I get from that scene. Maybe I am reading too much into it, I don't know. And I don't recall that issue with the blood, either, other than the fact they had clearly done something to it.

Had she been Mao's granddaughter, I think this would have played out entirely differently. Somebody would have said something about it by now.

I agree completely.

Plus, Mao would appear be a person of some import on the fleet...why would her granddaughter be living in the slums?

I agree completely.

Plus, Mao would appear be a person of some import on the fleet...why would her granddaughter be living in the slums?

Oh, that´s easy. By the time Sheryl ended up in the slums, Mao already was dead, gone down with the 117th Research Fleet. Shery could have been a refugee of the 117th, gotten lost because nobody cared about on Galaxy ( which doesn´t seem to be such a great place to live ).

Oh, that´s easy. By the time Sheryl ended up in the slums, Mao already was dead, gone down with the 117th Research Fleet. Shery could have been a refugee of the 117th, gotten lost because nobody cared about on Galaxy ( which doesn´t seem to be such a great place to live ).

She's an interstellar super star, yet no one would notice the "Nome" name? Ozma hasn't said a peep about any possible connection, and he was there when the 117th got hit.

She's an interstellar super star, yet no one would notice the "Nome" name? Ozma hasn't said a peep about any possible connection, and he was there when the 117th got hit.

yeah... I really think that Sheryl was given the Nome name by grace - it is possible however that Ozma's lineage can be traced back to mayan island - not as a direct relation to mao but as perhaps one of the grandkids of the other villagers who survived. He knows alot more than he is telling... that much is absolutely certain, and some of it - the very fact that he knows of the events on the island way back when - is the kind of thing that is typically passed on from parents to kids.

I am gonna have to look back thru the series to see if ozma wears any accessories that might be of mayan origin.

ok... there might be something to this connection I've posited... while Ozma (at least in the 2 eps Ive looked at so far) only wears a nondescript earring that may or may not be mayan, he is of a significantly darker skin tone than any other character in the show save for Carnalia and bobby. yeah... I know that is too vague to be considered evidence. I am going to continue this thread of investigation.

there is something interesting however concerning gilliam, who died in episode 1 - he had a necklace that is very possibly of south pacific island design, and it was featured rather prominently as one of his belongings when Ozma brought Alto to the SMS hangar for the first time. once again too vague... but.... there is also a couple of pictures of him on the same table, one of which was taken on what appears to be an island somewhere (not on frontier - no ship dome visible) still vague... dammit

Edited by Shaka_Z

Citation needed where it shows Grace picking up other homeless girls?

Hmm, what if Sheryl original blood was replaced by Mao 'Alpha Bombay' blood, and the new Sheryl was given name Sheryl Nome since part of the Nome characteristic is in her. And most people doesn't know about Nome family name until the movie 'Tori no Hito' was released in Frontier.

Hmm, what if Sheryl original blood was replaced by Mao 'Alpha Bombay' blood, and the new Sheryl was given name Sheryl Nome since part of the Nome characteristic is in her. And most people doesn't know about Nome family name until the movie 'Tori no Hito' was released in Frontier.

I doubt that likely much like the US government's agencies like the CIA, the NUNG declassfies classified records after a few decades.

If they didn't people would still be expecting Megaroad 1 is still out there on a colonization mission.

Edited by RedWolf

I doubt that likely much like the US government's agencies like the CIA, the NUNG declassfies classified records after a few decades.

If they didn't people would still be expecting Megaroad 1 is still out there on a colonization mission.

heh... a few decades you say? the way it works is that from time to time records of sensitive events are reviewed and it is determined whether or not the public is ready/needs to know (in whole or part) the events that transpired. rarely are things like this ever declassified without major omissions and editing. just look at the sheer amount of black-outs in the released documentation of project blue book and you will see my point. about the only people who actually know what went on are those who either lived through the experience or their children (and neither of those parties are likely to seriously counter the 'official' records - people have been known to 'disappear' for less)

Well, I just got a confirmation that Sheryls blood is the Alpha Bombay type, so I put that out there for consideration.

As for Ozma, he didn´t recognize Brera, either, didn´t he?

oh he recognizes brera all right - he's just in denial because he's believed brera dead for the last 12 years.

You all talk about Sheryl like she was a non-entity before she met Grace... you know homeless children don't pop out of nowhere right? They aren't spontaneously created, they're born to parents just like everyone else... and even if she was always homeless... she had to have someone who cared for her when she was very little and that someone probably gave her a name.

But you all say "She wasn't Sheryl Nome until she met Grace" well then, who was she? Linda Lee? Don't make the story more convoluted then it has to be... the Sheryl we see in that clip is old enough to know her own name... yet she takes pride in the name she now has.

I still say her being an actual Nome is more likely and simple to... random nameless girl was abducted and experimented on... to change her bloodtype to a special one that reacts with birdman stuff, then her name was changed to Nome, as a tribute to the original family who had this power" PLEASE... that's just a little overly complex.

It's more likely that she was Orphaned when the fleet that we know Mao was on was destroyed.

oh he recognizes brera all right - he's just in denial because he's believed brera dead for the last 12 years.

Well, actually Ozma recognized Brera only because he saw his harmonica.

That's not for sure, if we have the great bitch replacing her blood samples

Tsuchiro on Animesuki was so nice to find for me the following image:

sherylzb0.jpg

Look at her blood type. ^_^

Citation needed where it shows Grace picking up other homeless girls?

Safe assumption, Grace calls Sheryl the 9th Fairy (or was it 8th, someone should check for me :) ), which certainly sounds to me like there were previous test subjects. And blood keeps being brought up when we know that's exactly the kind of experimentation they've been doing. It tells us nothing.

At this point, if Kawamori goes back this late in the game and starts throwing plot twists and out of this world coincidences at us, it will ruin any sense of storytelling in this series. I guess this kinda thing works for the "Lost" crowd, but I think its just totally nonsense.

To me, Sheryl's story is far more compelling as the woman who was discarded not once but twice; the first time by her parents, and the second time by the people who used her in some very dangerous, and most likely illegal experimentation. She is left to die, but instead stands up and fights and in the end probably is a key to the Frontier's success.

Edited by Duke Togo

You all talk about Sheryl like she was a non-entity before she met Grace... you know homeless children don't pop out of nowhere right? They aren't spontaneously created, they're born to parents just like everyone else... and even if she was always homeless... she had to have someone who cared for her when she was very little and that someone probably gave her a name.

So Sheryl is some sort of Ranshe clone with Mao Nome's blood? Or, how about a Mao clone! Or maybe Grace was originally Mao's daughter, and Sheryl her daughter. Or how about Mao's son and Ranshe had an affair, and Ranshe was pregnant and had a child without her husband knowing! WHAT IF, WHAT IF, MAO WAS ACTUALLY A MAN, BABY!

At this point, if Kawamori goes back this late in the game and starts throwing plot twists and out of this world coincidences at us, it will ruin any sense of storytelling in this series. I guess this kinda thing works for the "Lost" crowd, but I think its just totally nonsense.

Well, I call it "foreshadowing". There have been lots of little hints that there is more than meets the eye. If you´d like to ignore them for a simpler plot, that´s a matter of taste, I guess.

Well, I call it "foreshadowing". There have been lots of little hints that there is more than meets the eye. If you´d like to ignore them for a simpler plot, that´s a matter of taste, I guess.

You call it more than meets the eye, I call it convoluted. I call it bad storytelling.

I´m just saying, it´s plain weird that Ranshe Mei and Sheryl look completely alike in character design. I would be very surprised if the Macross Frontier staff didn´t do that for some purpose...

Well, the taxi driver in ep. 18 was Howard Glass, it could be simple recycle of chara :lol:

FV

I don't think it's bad to discuss these things right? In the first place, the thread title says "theory". If it's wrong, then it's wrong, if it's right then the guesser has bragging rights :D

Yes, but my question is, is this really what you want out of this show? Do you really want Anakin to have built C3-P0, and Yoda being friends with Chewbacca?

Yes, but my question is, is this really what you want out of this show? Do you really want Anakin to have built C3-P0, and Yoda being friends with Chewbacca?

I don't think it's a question of what we want, but a question of what they will give us. It doesn't necessarily mean that if a person theorizes an outcome, that that's exactly what the person wants to see. Say I theorize that Sheryl will die in the end, I'm absolutely just guessing, though I would hate for that to happen.

Perhaps, that's why this thread is not entitled, "what do you want the outcome to be?", because that is going to be a different topic.

Live and let live :)

Safe assumption, Grace calls Sheryl the 9th Fairy (or was it 8th, someone should check for me :) ), which certainly sounds to me like there were previous test subjects. And blood keeps being brought up when we know that's exactly the kind of experimentation they've been doing. It tells us nothing.

Subtle difference she calls her Fairy Nine (in english)... not "the ninth fairy"... that dosn't neccisarily mean she's the 9th anything. It could just be a codename. After all Mistress 9, in Sailor Moon wasn't the 9th Messiah of Silence. It could have just been something the writers thought sounded cool.

So Sheryl is some sort of Ranshe clone with Mao Nome's blood? Or, how about a Mao clone! Or maybe Grace was originally Mao's daughter, and Sheryl her daughter. Or how about Mao's son and Ranshe had an affair, and Ranshe was pregnant and had a child without her husband knowing! WHAT IF, WHAT IF, MAO WAS ACTUALLY A MAN, BABY!

umm... okay then.