Macross Frontier Episode 18 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 18  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• Positive (No Sheryl! Don't listen to Grace!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (My love of this series ran out long before Frontier ran out of supplies)

Please explain WHY Bobby was utterly amazing in this episode? I mean what did he do this episode that he has not done in others: acts like a girl, then at one moment growls like a man. No, he does not NEED any more screen time!! <_<

You heretic, if I had the power to I would sentence you to 500 hours straight of Bobby's version of the carrot song!

I just watched an M7 fold, and it's the "double vision" thing. Anyways, I liked this ep a lot better than most of the last couple. Plus the OP has Battle 25 (though now they seem to call it Battle Frontier) transforming. :)

Good consistency then. The 'Fold Shadows' are kind of like the double vision thing but they don't go back and forth, they just stay there. I'd actually find that a little creepy if I were seeing that.

Not much, thought i'd add some things from the top of my head

5. The disease in question is the V-type that caused Hydras to go berzerk in the past. It usually doesn't transmit to humans.

Was that confirmed on this episode? (18)...

It seemed to me that Sheryl's disease is another one she got when she was an anonymous and homeless orphan living in Galaxy's slums, not the V-Type (Vajra related) infection researched in the 117th fleet...

Also, didn't Kawamori say something along the lines of "wouldn't it be interesting if they recieved a culture shock?" when talking about Frontier fleet in an early interview? Perhaps a big TWEEST coming up... or perhaps not. :p

So what you are trying to say is that Humans will be ilke the Zentraedi in SW1? I mean humans will be the one to receive a culture shock from the VAJRA? :blink:

I can already see it now Pres. Glass and Leon speaking in the Zentraedi Languauge just like the beginning of DYRL. :ph34r:

"YUCK Deculture" :lol:

Please explain WHY Bobby was utterly amazing in this episode? I mean what did he do this episode that he has not done in others: acts like a girl, then at one moment growls like a man. No, he does not NEED any more screen time!! <_<

Are you kidding? Bobby's one of the best characters in ANY Macross series EVER! Bobby no uta o kikinasa~iiii!

watch SDF Macross episode 31 the mayor of Trad city is President Glass, look around 9:30.

not only does it look like him but it sounds like the same voice actor

Actually the VA for Howard Glass is Tomomichi NISHIMURA.

According to this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encycloped...ple.php?id=1047, he voiced another character in a Macross series, BUT its now SDFM its DYRL.

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? (movie) as MC

Also of important note is that Tomomichi NISHIMURA also voiced the character of Cmdr. Richard Mardukas from FMP.

Edited by grss1982

The question now is how sheryl will survive?

/Speculation mode ON

According to Dr. Klan the V-type infection "is transmitted via blood or bodily fluids" So the new infected will be Alto, because they kissed in ep 10. After that, Alto kiss Ranka for the movie scene. So in certain point he must start to have the symptoms of the disease.

Assuming that the fairy proyect was trying to replicate Q1 the most probable thing is that Ranka will be the cure, but first they all were entering panic since her songtress of hope might be sick, at the time they discover the real nature of the skills of ranka before the bitch (Grace) could do something. Besides, of course Ranka will do everything to save Alto

/Speculation mode OFF

Sounds good, but as always has a 99.99% of probabilities that I'm dead wrong xD

I think it's obvious now that Sheryl has those same crystal critters in Ranka. (V-type)

The revelation that a Vajra's experience and feelings are collective.

Ranka can at some level feel it too. Especially their emotions.

I rewatched episode 7 when Ranka's belly glowed. Ranka at the time received Sheryl's emotions.

Sheryl's fold quartzs earring also reponded acting as a booster.

Thus when they sang they created a mini-collective of their own for a brief time.

Edited by RedWolf

I think it's obvious now that Sheryl has those same crystal critters in Ranka. (V-type)

The revelation that a Vajra's experience and feelings are collective.

Ranka can at some level feel it too. Especially their emotions.

I rewatched episode 7 when Ranka's belly glowed. Ranka at the time received Sheryl's emotions.

Sheryl's fold quartzs earring also reponded acting as a booster.

Thus when they sang they created a mini-collective of their own for a brief time.

Yes. And Brera is another one who inexplicably knows where Ranka is and what her feelings /predicaments have to be.

I do think this idea has some merit...

Wasn't the V-Type infection harmless to humans? I think I read that according to gg subs Sheryl's infection is another type of disease (not the V-Type) that she caught when she was a homeless girl living in the slums and the witchcraft 639 pill kept this disease from progressing any further, but didn't cure her... :blink:

Hmm.. the whole "gems make a brain link" idea sounds pretty on the spot actually.. it would explain a lot, especially the concert scene. I had thought that was just for dramatic purposes, but now that I think of it, it reached Alto too. He didn't get a whole floaty space-type vision, but he was much further away.

Actually.. wow, yeah, that fits in other ways too, and if it weren't for the Vajra singing to Ranka at that one point, I'd say it throws into question whether the song is significant at all. What better way to screw up communications than to flood the bandwidth with a stronger signal? Assuming the crystals really do transmit singing/emotions, or possibly tactical information to the vajra, Ranka's song was basically flooding their comm channels. ECM- emotional counter measures. :p

If Sheryl managed to transmit her disease to both Alto and then to Ranka though... I dunno what they'll do. :ph34r: I still think it's far too early in the series for them not to find a cure for her. We already have people doing covert research into her situation, and they have the resources at hand (not to mention plenty of episodes) to pull a last minute save.

:blink: I can barely see one head so for two people.... ^_^

Maybe above at the right ..I can catch a glimpse of the hair but that's all.

I though it could be another vajra because of the claw at the left like here http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=12lo5lx7vw4.jpg

But looks like there isn't similarities.

snapshot20080808185019ebl0.jpg

cant u guys see the 'face'? the hair is very obvious, and the one i outlined has some lines for where the eyes and nose are....

looks like 2 heads joined at the top to me.... and the whole body is wrapped up

i get the birdman vibe... :unsure:

is it Ranshe?? Dr Mao? :mellow:

Edited by Shun

cant u guys see the 'face'? the hair is very obvious, and the one i outlined has some lines for where the eyes and nose are....

looks like 2 heads joined at the top to me.... and the whole body is wrapped up

i get the birdman vibe... :unsure:

is it Ranshe?? Dr Mao? :mellow:

Oh cut it out people ^^ it'll just turn out to be ai-kun evolving. we know it's gonna happen next episode(s). Next epi, Ranka finds out the little bugger is gone, and the episode after that she gets attacked inside island 1, Looks like the "keeping alien pets is forbidden" comitee is in for a surprise.

Mmm, the new OP sure uses an awful lot of recycled animation from the episodes. Sheryl & Ranka animation is subpar, too, for a TV opening. And What's up with Sheryl grabbing her left breast???? -_-

Even the song isn't anything to write home about (but then again, I didn't particularly love Triagler either).

Otherwise, another great episode and thanks a lot GG for the subs!

Wasn't the V-Type infection harmless to humans? I think I read that according to gg subs Sheryl's infection is another type of disease (not the V-Type) that she caught when she was a homeless girl living in the slums and the witchcraft 639 pill kept this disease from progressing any further, but didn't cure her... :blink:

I watched the gg episode myself and according to their subs Sheryl's got the V-Type infection in her. An article regarding her disease was posted by Grace O'Connor in Cosmo Nature in 2053, when Sheryl was 11 years old... Apparently Grace did the research on Sheryl in Galaxy Fleet...

With the subs, no further great insights from the summaries we got by now, but one more question about the Witchcraft pills. If the pills are a receptor blocker, which have the side effect of fever, vomiting, and chills, how exactly did Sheryl not suffer from those side effects during all of those six years she was fed that receptor blocker? This is a bit of a plot hole, IMO, unless she really was just infected by Grace with the V-Type disease.

And I´d like to know what the V-Type disease does to you... I hope it is not "going berserk" like that Hydra. ^^

Although Sheryl hit her rock bottom right now, the episode felt to me to be just the set-up for next episode, where the major developments on the relationship front are to kick off, IMO.

As for the non-relationship plot, I am flabbergasted on how we are now three episodes from where the "real" plot was to kick off, and nothing since then has been shown about Galaxies plans. If they want to build up Galaxy as the real enemy and make some sort of peace with the Vajra, they better get kicking, because we are only seven episodes out from the ( assumed ) end of the series.

Otherwise we are in danger of getting a pretty rushed end to that part of the story.

However, if that sounds like I disliked the episode somehow, be assured that this ain´t the case. The episode flowed perfectly and looked beautiful... it´s just that I always hope that more happens, seeing how the series will end ( too ) soon.

With the subs, no further great insights from the summaries we got by now, but one more question about the Witchcraft pills. If the pills are a receptor blocker, which have the side effect of fever, vomiting, and chills, how exactly did Sheryl not suffer from those side effects during all of those six years she was fed that receptor blocker? This is a bit of a plot hole, IMO, unless she really was just infected by Grace with the V-Type disease.

Well we don't really know when did Sheryl start taking the pill. My guess is she has been fine until Ai-kun dropped a new strain of V-virus into her pantie.

OK I finally manged to snag gg's sub, and Let me start out by saying GRACE YOU MOFO B*TCH!!!! :angry: I hopy you die a very painful death by the time this series is over. :angry:

Anyways....now that I have ranted about Grace, lets move on to some interesting parts of the episode.....

= Was that Alto's biological brother who helped Sheryl? :blink: I'm confused though is he an adopted son or the son from the different marriage or something, because they don't look alike (He & Alto I mean).

= VF-27's BFG is still effective against the VAJRA? :huh: I though the Red Lobsters would have adopted to it by now.

= It's a sad day indeed for VF-171 fans everywhere as the Badass VF from Episode 14 is now reduced to Canon Fodder once again. :( I hope they somehow get an upgrade to counter the VAJRA. HINT: Bring back the gun pod beam adaptor from Macross 7, and oh the Super Pack might come in handy as well. :)

= Mikhail's rifle is also ineffective now? :huh:

BTW, why is everybody in MW going crazy about protrusions first it was Ranka's (Episode 7) and now Battle Frontier's/25's. :ph34r: Is it the new rage nowadays? :huh:

ALSO as a FINAL NOTE.....GRACE YOU MOFO B*TCH!!!! :angry:

Edited by grss1982

Well we don't really know when did Sheryl start taking the pill. My guess is she has been fine until Ai-kun dropped a new strain of V-virus into her pantie.

While not verifiable, it sure is the most amusing possibility. ^_^

But it has been strongly implied that she has been sick since at least Grace got her fingers on her. Either already when Grace found her in the slum or, more likely, she got infected by Grace.

If thats the case, with such constant proximity to Ai-Kun (which almost certainly a vajra hatchling), I am suprise Ranka has NOT gotten the V-virus. Another possibility is that Ranka's part Vajra or at the least, her blood is immune to the V-virus.

When Ozma was looking at the picture of Ranka during the end, did anyone think that the man beside Ranshe looks like Ozma(Same skin color and tone) but albeit a different hairstyle?

If so, it would make make sense why Ozma would want to adopt Ranka if they were related back then. Perhaps Ranshe was Ozma's old triangle just like Roy's sempai in Zero.

With subs it would seem:

-Sheryl has the disease since young...but what it does to her is unknown...and usually is not transmitable to humans but she has it.

-If the hydra is any indication, apparently you'll go berserk over time. And according to Grace, you will eventually die.

-Her symptoms of nausea, fever and chills are from the pill's effects itself, not the virus.

-The Saotome house probably knows something we all don't yet. I'm sure old-man Saotome is some super secret researcher or something/someone who knows something.

the writers might be setting this up with sheryl getting sick, presumably from a pre-existing, albeit well hidden condition. alto might end up choosing her but she dies in a [gasp!] moulin rogue episode. intriguing, if one considers the somber ending of M+. i don't want to think about it though. go sheryl!

i take it back. and i hope i'm wrong. :(

Simple...GRACE GAVE SHERL AIDS!.... Someone was going to say it at some point...

You say this in jest, but I've been actually thinking the same thing.

No, I don't think it's actually AIDS, but perhaps they're similar in a number of ways. Just like HIV, the V-type virus is apparently only transmitted via blood or bodily fluids. I think the most likely scenario is that Sheryl got the virus during a blood transfusion, perhaps as part of Grace's research, using a source of blood that would trace back to the 117th's research program. I'm thinking Ranka is probably one of the original carriers, so Sheryl can't infect her; it's more the other way around.

Now, Alto raises an interesting possibility. I don't think mere kissing is enough to spread the infection (saliva usually doesn't carry a very high viral load), but, err, other exchanges of bodily fluids might do the trick. So if, umm, Alto and Sheryl become very close, I can see how all three might end up sharing the same infection. The mental link theory then becomes pretty interesting.

I don't think it's a plot hole; it really does seem like Sheryl only became really ill recently. It doesn't come across that she's been suffering from a chronic condition all this time; she doesn't even like the taste of her medicine, which if she'd been taking it for some time, and knew that she got sick if she didn't take it, she surely would be used to by now.

There's also the fact that she seemed to get better when she stopped taking the pills, if only briefly. I think we have to assume that some of what we know from Grace is either not exactly true, or omits some important details. One possibility is that Sheryl's original illness was just a result of her destitution; while in the hospital, Grace infects her with the real nasty...

In the end, I think we just have to wait and see what the explanation for all this is. But there does seem to be one.

Possibility: The V-type virus has a long incubation period. The various previous failed Fairy prototypes showed exactly when Sheryl was reaching the end stages of her own disease progression, at which point Grace began taking steps to discard her. (This really begins to make sense of the scheming surrounding Galia 4.)

When Ozma was looking at the picture of Ranka during the end, did anyone think that the man beside Ranshe looks like Ozma(Same skin color and tone) but albeit a different hairstyle?

If so, it would make make sense why Ozma would want to adopt Ranka if they were related back then. Perhaps Ranshe was Ozma's old triangle just like Roy's sempai in Zero.

I was thinking this, too, but thought it more likely that the man might be his brother or something, making Ranka his niece. Or maybe he was just a close friend of Ozma's. Whatever the case, I don't think Ozma and Ranshe had a thing; otherwise, surely Ozma would assume more a father figure than a brother figure.

It might just be a character design issue, though. I get the impression that Ranka's father isn't very important, while Ranshe seems to be very important. Still, it would explain why Ozma latched on to Ranka in particular.

More speculation about Cinderella's Horn: I like the idea that Ranka's singing jams the fold communication mechanism. It seems like in future episodes, Frontier discovers a way to eliminate the Vajra completely, once and for all. I'm guessing this might have to do with attacking the fold communication mechanism, perhaps on a galactic scale; it would have to be pretty big to end the Vajra threat permanently, since we've seen how easily they can adapt.

Speaking of adaptation, the Vajra have been shown to evolve pretty quickly. It's likely they didn't start off with all their insanely powerful weaponry, but likely started off as quite feeble. Perhaps even making it feasible that humans created them after all (though I think this is unlikely).

Finally, that last shot, lingering on the mysterious creatures... I think there are actually a good number of them. If you look at the shot just before that, you can see a number of identical cocoon-like things, forming a nest on the underside of one of the sub-islands (at least, I assume that's what it is from context). I think the final shot was just a close-up of a few of them.

Rather than just being one creature, it seems to me like it might be all of those little Ai-kun-type Vajra metamorphosing into the combat types. Perhaps the little ones even combine to form the bigger ones; there certainly seemed to be a lot of eggs previously. (Assuming Galaxy didn't plant them there, though, where did all the eggs come from? I don't remember any egg layers coming close to Frontier. If Galaxy did plant them... perhaps that's why the Vajra initially attacked Frontier?)

Edited by DeeBot