Macross Frontier Episode 18 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 18  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• Positive (No Sheryl! Don't listen to Grace!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (My love of this series ran out long before Frontier ran out of supplies)

I also got a weird vibe

from one image during the new OP.... the one where Sheryl is sinking into a pool of water, with ribbons drifting down - almost like a puppet after having it's strings cut.

the image was rather disturbing...

I liked how we finally found out that Mao, Grace and Ranshe did indeed work on a project together and Sheryl was the subject although I think she wasn't aware of it till Grace told her. (BITCH!)

I did think that many theories were too ventured. I was convinced that Sheryl was really an actual orphan, rather than some clone. The earring though may not be hers to begin with (but I'll wait the subs for this).

Grace found Sheryl when she was little, orphaned, starving and alone, raising her to be Sheryl Nome. I'm going to assume Grace gave her the last name Nome as well as the earrings saying they came from her mother. Only explanation of her last name that makes sense to me since Mao was quite old in that picture and me assuming Grace found Sheryl after the 117th fleet was destroyed. I could be wrong of course.

This finally cut off all possible blood connections between Ranka and Sheryl

:)

FV

I also got a weird vibe

from one image during the new OP.... the one where Sheryl is sinking into a pool of water, with ribbons drifting down - almost like a puppet after having it's strings cut.

the image was rather disturbing...

yeah i noticed that aswell :S , this episode made me feel so sorry for the poor girl. Looks like it aint over yet and that the emotional spiral will be going down more and more .... it could also mean that Sheryl is freed of the manipulation though ...

Edited by whispo

i guess theyve improved technologies,

allowing the maincannon to fire in ship mode

. that's just practical, isnt it.

I don't know. Maybe it always could, but the director wanted it to fire in Attacker mode for the "coolness" factor. Plausibility was not very important to him in 7. With SK at the helm, it seems to be much more important...

Haven't you guys ever seen warplanes with sexy women on the sides? :blink: It was pretty common during past wars, naming them and everything. It's not that big of a deal. :)

Of course! I just meant we need more of it. All airplanes need nose art. It is a man-law.

In that close up I finally noticed that not only is she missing her bottom, she's also in the process of taking off her top. Doesn't seem like something she would do lol.

Where's Ozma in all this? Somehow I'd expect him to loose his mind with nose art like that.... :p

Haven't you guys ever seen warplanes with sexy women on the sides? :blink: It was pretty common during past wars, naming them and everything. It's not that big of a deal. :)

But I'm not so sure that Ranka qualifies as a either sexy or a woman :lol: .

i live in kanagawa and i have seen episodes of naruto shippuuden subbed and uploaded to places like megavideo and veoh with in 24 hours. the subs are generally accurate too.

Well, since the airing it's been, what, 5 hours? Try to be patient, and remember that gg subs the TBS raw, not the MBS one.

FV

This episode has, of course, re-raised the question for me as to how "natural" Sheryl really is. I don't understand the language, so this is all speculation based on the visuals; hoping someone can straighten me out.

:)

Anyway, we see her hooked up to a system similar to that used by Grace, and seen on the segment about Galaxy's biotechnology. (Incidentally, wonder what Grace's original connection to Galaxy was, since we see her previously on the 117th fleet only a few years before she runs into Sheryl...)

Was this just to keep her alive (a sort of high-tech iron lung), or was she augmented at this point? We know she claims to be "all natural," and presumably there would be an easy way to check over the course of her life, but we can't really know the truth just from her statements. She wouldn't know herself.

What's this illness Sheryl has, anyway? Is it something unique to her? Is it just because she had such a poor life early on? (Seems pretty clear now why she didn't like Galaxy; I wonder how much of Galaxy looks like that. We haven't seen any slums on Frontier, far as I can tell.)

Also, I noticed that the picture of Sheryl on the medical bed didn't bother to cover her chest region, as opposed to images of Ranka and Grace in similar situations, as well as various shower scenes. (I even pondered, albeit for just a moment, if Sheryl was actually originally male, but dismissed that pretty easily; she's clearly female in those flashbacks.) If it was from, what, 6 years ago? I guess that would put the photo before she started filling out, although I also wondered if it could be due to malnutrition.

Of course, we know how big her assets are now... enough to inspire dreams and all. ;) But once again, this raises the question for me whether she's really as natural as she thinks. I originally dismissed the possibility, since presumably implants aren't undetectable, but it's all enough to make me wonder again...

Really, really looking forward to the subs. While the plot didn't really move forward, I must agree that there's a huge amount of back story here that we've all been waiting a long time for. Hopefully, we'll get a bit more in the next episode, and have things move forward in a significant way...

On a side note, all of these developments make it feel more likely to me that Sheryl won't survive the series. I'd still bet that she does (I imagine her fortunes will finally turn within a few episodes), but I can definitely see a plot arc where her illness overtakes her. Sorta a Guld ending.

Yeah But that Monster nose art is like taking the pic below and putting it on a gunship :huh:

post-7075-1218139044_thumb.jpg

Where's Ozma in all this? Somehow I'd expect him to loose his mind with nose art like that.... :p

Oddly enough, the nose art was perfectly visible in episode 16 (Ranka Attack), and it's even in the background as he floats over from the Monster to his VF. Maybe it's covered in special paint that renders it invisible to Ozma. :D

I don't know. Maybe it always could, but the director wanted it to fire in Attacker mode for the "coolness" factor. Plausibility was not very important to him in 7. With SK at the helm, it seems to be much more important...

I alway though of Macross 7 like NCC-1701 D Enterprise. Having a Battle section ansd civilian section.

NMCs are actually three ships. The carrier, the city and the gunship.

The gunship is designed in such a way that it wont blow off the occupied sections in Attacker mode.

Frontier's gunship seems to be different in some aspects compared to Battle 7 and Battle 13 gunships. The main gun can be separated from the main barrel.

Edited by RedWolf

I think

that Sheryl is going to start to slowly rise again. perhaps not quite to her former heights, and certainly not alone. something tells me that Ranka and Sheryl are both necessary components to the anti-vajra song - going all the way back to episode 8? when it took *both* of them to reach alto thru the earrings. also, I am convinced more than ever that alto's true passion is for Sheryl... there just aren't any truly romantic tones in his relationship with Ranka, even when they were on Gallia 4. to quote a political pundit I once heard... there is no

there there

granted that is pure speculation and conjecture on my part.

I am still waiting to find out more about Alto's mother. in those few flashbacks we have seen her, it is quite obvious that pains were taken to only show her from behind.

yeah... I am getting a vibe from that too.

She doesn't actually say that.

Grace: How pitiful. Artist, singer. No matter what you call yourself, you are just an idol after all. A constructed image.

Sheryl: No! I got here with my own strength!

Grace: Had I not found you, you simply have stayed with the garbage in that Galaxy slum without ever being known by anyone.

Ouch! Brutal words!

It's the age of the subject the concern <_<

FV

OK, it seems Western morality is judging an Asian show again.

Keep in mind, I believe Ranka is very close to the minimum marriage age in Japan, so not so much loli anymore in the show's native land.

^_^ What a great episode!

So Grace found Sheryl in the streets?

Was that Sheryl in the footage that Michel and Klan Klan were viewing?

Is Sheryl human?

Poor sheryl, having her music on sale like that.

lol at the nose art!

While I like the new OP, I miss my Mayaa Sakamoto.

Need HD raws + subs NOW!!!!

^_^ What a great episode!

So Grace found Sheryl in the streets?

Was that Sheryl in the footage that Michel and Klan Klan were viewing?

Is Sheryl human?

Poor sheryl, having her music on sale like that.

lol at the nose art!

While I like the new OP, I miss my Mayaa Sakamoto.

Need HD raws + subs NOW!!!!

Yes

Yes

Yes

Everything was being put on sale at that moment. But yes, that scene was meant to convey exactly that.

Nose art was seen back in ep 16. It is Deculture!

Yes and Yes!

hmmm... damn this ep has got all sorts of things sprouting out of my brain... for instance,

if my gut is right, sheryl might just run across a copy of arkan while convalescing at the saotome estate. I was like wtf??? when i thought about it...

Yes

Yes

Yes

Everything was being put on sale at that moment. But yes, that scene was meant to convey exactly that.

Nose art was seen back in ep 16. It is Deculture!

Yes and Yes!

Yup, remember seeing it then, too. So Ozma's let slide for THREE episodes now...Hmmmm... :ph34r:

Grrr... need... subs...

The episode definitely had it's share of wtf moments. Right now, just too many questions, and not enough understanding to know what's going on.

What I'm starting to wonder.. how long had Sheryl been taking those pills? Was it something that Grace only started giving her when she came down sick, or is it like a daily vitamin she takes? Also, I really can't tell for sure whether Sheryl was hooked up to plain medical equipment, or they may have been upgrading her. She may be part cyborg all along, which would probably be one more reason Grace replaced her blood sample earlier.

I have to say this, but Sheryl seriously may wind up dying here.. I think enough people know about the situation for them to pull off a last minute save of some sort, but I think they're going to drag that out as much as possible to keep us guessing. If the new opening is any indication though, I think the earlier comment was right... I don't think it's gonna end without Ranka and Sheryl teaming up. Shoot, Ranka may wind up being the carrier of the cure for Sheryl's disease, whatever it is. :blink: What really stumps me now is how Grace even fits here, and what her motives are... or where she even came from. For her to look exactly the same that long ago.. I almost wonder if she was a normal human back then, and became a victim of the virus.. but they saved her consciousness and implanted it into a cybernetic body. Maybe the same chips that let Sharon go nuts also allow that sort of thing to work.. it could also have led to her consciousness being corrupted over time by the computerized portion.

Awesome opening too, though I agree.. the whole ribbon/sinking bit was creepy.. very GITS-like. Not to mention the early bit where you can see Earth getting nuked in the reflection in Ranka's eye. Can't wait for the full version of the song. Almost had an Alice in Wonderland feel to it from all the mirror/screen bits (dressing mirror, classroom vid screen both showing combat scenes, probably more, not to mention the bit of Sheryl pulling Ranka through her mirror, and all the bits of flying shattered glass).

Btw, I seriously want to hear a full Sheryl version of Aimo now.

Oh, and breaking for coffee doesn't necessarily mean impending combat.. but massive shopping trips sure do. ^_^

Btw.. loved the commercials in the horrible raw (I want that VF-1J foldout XD)... but "La Bamba" sounds incredibly strange in Japanese. :blink:

Edited by Chronocidal