Frontier Episode 1 1st release Blue Ray extras

thegunny

Here's some scans of the bits and pieces that came with my 1st Release (mine came from cdJapan, not sure if the contents differ from store to store).

Card poster front

Back of poster

Nyan Nyan sticker sheet & Back Stage Pass

Booklet cover

pgs 2 & 3

pgs 4 & 5

pgs 6 & 7

pgs 8 & 9

pgs10 & 11

pgs 12 & 13

pgs 14 & 15

Frontier goodies advertising

Me too.

Currently waffling between a PS3 (yay, get to play the PS1 VF-X2 and other Macross games) or a drive for the PC (probably costs less, but I think my monitor's refresh rate is too slow. Even the MP4 "raws" jump at times...) Decisions, decisions.

Thanks gunny, nice scans, I think I would at least get Vol 1 of BD. Like you I still have NOT gotten a BD player but may get a PS3 later :) Once again thanks

BTW refering to the poster, can the VF-0 operate in space ? I know it can operate underwater but in space ? Anyone can clarify that ?

Edited by vanpang

BTW refering to the poster, can the VF-0 operate in space, I know I can operate underwater but space ? Anyone can clarify that ?

Unknown if the VF-0 can, without modification, operate in space.

That said, there is a VF-0B in "Tenjin Hidetaka Valkyries" with "space proving wing" stenciled on the engine nacelle (image is of the VF-0B in fighter mode preparing to launch from an Asuka II type carrier.)

Unknown if the VF-0 can, without modification, operate in space.

That said, there is a VF-0B in "Tenjin Hidetaka Valkyries" with "space proving wing" stenciled on the engine nacelle (image is of the VF-0B in fighter mode preparing to launch from an Asuka II type carrier.)

With modification is may be but I seriously doubt the VF-0 can fly in space as it still uses conventional turbofan engines. The best gimmick of the Reaction engines is that it makes it a whole lot easier to fly in space because the only on board fuel you need is what your heating up and ejecting out as plasma. In a conventional engines like the ones used in the VF-0 that take in air, mix it with gas and then ignite it, you'd need to be able to carry the gas/fuel, and the air/oxygen to mix it with. This is what today's rockets do, carry both and mix it and that makes them really big and really heavy.

Me too.

Currently waffling between a PS3 (yay, get to play the PS1 VF-X2 and other Macross games) or a drive for the PC (probably costs less, but I think my monitor's refresh rate is too slow. Even the MP4 "raws" jump at times...) Decisions, decisions.

It won't be your monitor. Modern PC monitors(as in, everything for over a decade) have a minimum refresh of 60Hz, which is what you need for TV material.

If anything, the refresh rate is too high, but that doesn't usually cause that sort of problem.

Without knowing exactly what's in your PC, the most likely issue is the CPU.

It takes a LOT of power to process MPEG4, especially HD files.

With modification is may be but I seriously doubt the VF-0 can fly in space as it still uses conventional turbofan engines. The best gimmick of the Reaction engines is that it makes it a whole lot easier to fly in space because the only on board fuel you need is what your heating up and ejecting out as plasma. In a conventional engines like the ones used in the VF-0 that take in air, mix it with gas and then ignite it, you'd need to be able to carry the gas/fuel, and the air/oxygen to mix it with. This is what today's rockets do, carry both and mix it and that makes them really big and really heavy.

Actually, the main reason they're so big and heavy is that getting into space is hard work. They need a LOT of fuel.

And strictly speaking, you don't need liquid oxygen, though it's what we usually use.

The solid rocket boosters on the side of the space shuttle actually use a mixture of aluminum and aluminum perchlorate.

In theory, you don't need ANY form of oxidizer, but the fuels that work well that way tend to be rather nasty stuff, so we don't use them in the quantities you'd need for a launch(the shuttle's maneuvering thrusters are powered by one such fuel).

Anyways: Frontier BluRay. Me wants!

But I can't really justify it right now, given I need a BluRay player.

But that pencil board is AWESOME. And who WOULDN'T want a sheet of NyanNyan stickers?!?

I'd blame the player, not the CPU. I have a top-end (well, it was 4 months ago when it was new) CPU and GPU, and it can't play Frontier without jumping and stuttering all the time--with VLC. But media player classic---absolutely perfect.

PS--as I've mentioned a lot before, a jet engine without air simply won't work. It's NOT related to combustion. Jets make thrust by moving AIR, not simply by burning fuel. It's often said that "letting go of a blown-up but untied balloon" is the simplest jet engine---and it is. Is there any combustion in a balloon? No. But there is a lot of air coming out the back. No air=no reaction=no thrust. When the balloon's out of air, it's out of thrust. Same for a jet engine. Nuclear jet engines have been built, that effectively need no fuel--but they still derive all their thrust from sucking in and expelling air.

If you need an "air-free" engine, you need a rocket, as you simply can't have a fluid-free jet. (Doesn't have to be air--water works great too, thus the water-jet----but you've GOT to have something to push out the back end, and in very large amounts----so big that you're pretty much limited to using the sky or the ocean as your fluid source)

(I'm guessing this will turn into one of MW's many "how valk engines work" threads soon)

Anyways: Frontier BluRay. Me wants!

But I can't really justify it right now, given I need a BluRay player.

But that pencil board is AWESOME. And who WOULDN'T want a sheet of NyanNyan stickers?!?

The DVD release comes with the same stuff for those of us who refuse to pay $300 for a Blu-Ray burner or home theater player.

Okay you win it's a pencil board. Who am I to argue with a Macross World specific section, especially when it's on pencil boards :o Happy now :rolleyes:

Just wondering if you got out much :huh:

Well Macross World does have a specific section for pencil boards, despite it being terribly lacking. Here's what the front other possible one that comes in the first pressing looks like (the back's the same):

mfshitajikivf7.jpg

Out? With that giant ball of thermonuclear cancer rays hanging in the sky? I DON'T THINK SO!

Seriously, that stuff can kill you.

I didn't think pencil boards were that tough :ph34r:

Here's some scans of the bits and pieces that came with my 1st Release (mine came from cdJapan, not sure if the contents differ from store to store).

Card poster front

WOW! An outstanding picture. Kind of reminds me of the picture that was floating around during the 1990's on the net of a poster of the three incarnations of the Yamato.

Now they need to do one of the different Macross Fortresses seen in the various series.

Taksraven

It won't be your monitor. Modern PC monitors(as in, everything for over a decade) have a minimum refresh of 60Hz, which is what you need for TV material.

If anything, the refresh rate is too high, but that doesn't usually cause that sort of problem.

Without knowing exactly what's in your PC, the most likely issue is the CPU.

It takes a LOT of power to process MPEG4, especially HD files.

New PC. Bought this year. Along with monitor. Your comment has made me start thinking that the problem is another of the oodles that Vista comes jam packed with. If I understand it correclty, Vista uses the video card (or something similar) for day-to-day display operations.

I'll have to troubleshoot one of these days and see if I can turn it off and run the MP4. The problem is, the instructions I have are in English, and I'm running Jwindows. Beyond the language barrier, some of the options are different or are in different places! (For example, it took a couple of hours to figure out how to turn the damn file extensions on, because it wasn't in the same place as the English Windows!!!)

Anyhow, I think I may just go for the PS3 or a proper BD player. As the MP4's are probably at the highest resolution that my monitor will display at... and a highvision show needs to be shown on the big screen! (Monitor = 1440x900, TV = 37 inches (approx.)).

BTW everyone: pencil boards are great. Great if you want you're ball point pens to write with thin lines. Awesome if you don't want any of you're writing (or drawing) to indent on the pages below, allowing CSI or the OSS to make rubbings of your top secrets!

Though, it sucks that Animate didn't add it into the purchase... all I got was a stamp card. Buy all the BR releases at the same store and get some freebie something something...

Okay you win it's a pencil board. Who am I to argue with a Macross World specific section, especially when it's on pencil boards :o Happy now :rolleyes:

Just wondering if you got out much :huh:

Well, Wikipedia wasn't cutting it, so I had to bring out the big guns! :lol: As for getting out, sure! But I like JB0's answer better, so I'll let him speak for me on that. :p

New PC. Bought this year. Along with monitor. Your comment has made me start thinking that the problem is another of the oodles that Vista comes jam packed with. If I understand it correclty, Vista uses the video card (or something similar) for day-to-day display operations.

It sounds like your MP4 files are probably H.264 encoded. Large H.264 files (file size and resolution) take a lot of CPU to process, and sometimes today's average computer specs still won't cut it without a good codec. You may want to look into CoreAVC.

Uses DirectX, so you must check the compatibility of the version that you are currentrly running with you videocard.

Today I found a so called vista codec pack but now im too busy for test it, but they proclaims that is really good

• 7 months later...

Bah, I was just looking at the pre-order for Frontier Vol 9, noticing it came with a first press box. I was planning on waiting a while before snagging Frontier, then picking it up as it went along. But reading the details, the box that comes with is just for the last 4 disc's, the 5th disc had a box for 1-5...! Did anyone manage to get that box, and if so, how cool was it?

Bah, I was just looking at the pre-order for Frontier Vol 9, noticing it came with a first press box. I was planning on waiting a while before snagging Frontier, then picking it up as it went along. But reading the details, the box that comes with is just for the last 4 disc's, the 5th disc had a box for 1-5...! Did anyone manage to get that box, and if so, how cool was it?

It's very green. I'll post pictures and edit this post later. The box is made of sturdy cardboard (about 1-2 mm thick). To me, it's been the only worthwhile first press extra (but I value practicality over frills). The pencil board that came with Vol 1 was okay although I'm not sure what to do with it. The "pins" that came with Vol 2 (although less "pin" and more "button" a la Office Space's pieces of flair) were at least different. The rest have come with calendars and the like which are okay and have nice art if you're into that kind of thing.

While I get the old digicam set up (edit: or rather, recharge the batteries), can someone answer a question for me?

I ordered the Vol 7 blu-ray, but I kind of ordered late from CDJapan so I'm not sure if I got the first press extras or not (according to the order page I did, but at the time, they only had 3 left in stock). Inside my blu-ray case, there was a packet of three "photographs" printed on what appears to be glossy photo stock (one of Sheryl, one of Ranka, and one of Alto in kabuki costume). Was this the only first press extra for that volume or was there more? I only ask because for the other volumes, the extras were packaged outside of the case. If anyone else purchased a first-press edition of Vol 7, please let me know and help put my mind at ease.

Edited by sdf2501

OK, here are the pictures of the box I got with the Vol 5 blu-ray as promised; I left the box's spine card in there (as you can tell, I haven't opened it yet :p). Sorry for the crappy quality; it was hard to get a good target lock. I suppose I could put them through the scanner instead if people want me to. Makes me wonder if the Vol 9 box will be pink themed or blue. Basically, the box has all the main characters laying down on some grass and looking up at the camera. The tops and bottoms of the box have no artwork.

If anyone can answer my question about what came with the Vol 7 first press, it would be greatly appreciated. I'm spending a whack load of $$ on these blu-rays, so I'd better damn well be getting those first press extras! :angry:

post-8371-1237191493_thumb.png post-8371-1237191507_thumb.png post-8371-1237191519_thumb.png post-8371-1237191531_thumb.png

Edit: It wouldn't surprise me if the DVD box shows slightly more of the artwork; traditionally, the cover art on all the blu-ray cases have been cropped somewhat.

Edited by sdf2501

The first press extra on volume 7 was those 3 pictures

Thanks. CDJapan's page said "special features" to which I had no idea what they meant. They've been a little more descriptive in the past, so I was thinking either extra video content, interview transcript or something else as that is what special features mean to me.

The "photographs" are kind of cool on their own though. Just thought there might be more to it.