X-Files movie 2

IMHO, being a long-term but not uber-fan:

Gillian Anderson is an A+ actress (both in skill and hotness), in a "C" movie or so. The movie is VERY character-driven, not plot-driven. It is about Mulder and Scully, not "the case". Basically, the exact opposite of the first movie.

I can spoil as little or much as someone wants, just PM me if you wanna know something. If you want a super-vague 2-word plot summary, read here:

medical experimentation

It does not tie in to any "established" plots in the series, so if you missed half of a season or something, it won't matter. And even if you're a big fan, there's SO many in-jokes and obscure references, you won't get them all. And heck, even some big references I'd forgotten until they were mentioned on screen.

meh, I'll wait till it gets released on BD. I'm a fan of the series, but honestly, the last few seasons really took some of the luster off for me. Though, I do have to say, some of my all time favorite x-files episodes (the one with the insurance salesman who saw how people died, I love)had to do with psychics, so who knows.

I will have to agree with Max Genius on this one and recommend it with reservations. I personally liked the film, but then again X-Files is my all-time favorite tv show (though I'm not an uber fan and remember all of the stats and episodes). It is indeed like one long regular episode on the big screen. The first film, "Fight the Future", had more Hollywood punch. "I Want to Believe" is slower moving and again like an extended episode, but a totally resolved story. No aliens, no government conspiracies, actually no supernatural oddities, nothing paranormal.... which some might think as boring.

My husband and I both enjoyed it, especially seeing Mulder and Scully back in their usual forms.... and not so usual forms. (If you see it, you'll know what I mean.) It felt like home sweet home. I realize that many movie viewers have complained about why should they pay big bucks to see X-Files on a large screen. Especially when they could see more provocative episodes on dvd or SciFi Channel re-runs. Well, the truth is that X-Files is not coming back to the small screen... So I was happy to watch it in the theater. And will buy the dvd when it comes out. :)

I'll probably give this flick a chance then. I was a huge fan of the show, and it still is the last TV show I ever followed religously.

Edit to add: I'm one of the guys that got the somewhat recent, repackaged X-Files series DVD set.

Edited by Warmaker

I'll probably give this flick a chance then. I was a huge fan of the show, and it still is the last TV show I ever followed religously.

Edit to add: I'm one of the guys that got the somewhat recent, repackaged X-Files series DVD set.

That's cool, but please don't have high expectations in seeing it. There are no mind-blowing revelations or action sequences. It is indeed slow-paced. From what I briefly read, this movie was relatively low-budget – @ 35 million which is close to the cost of one tv episode...

Oh and I too bought that same dvd box set. Have yet to watch it though!

Edited by Reflex Point

That's cool, but please don't have high expectations in seeing it. There are no mind-blowing revelations or action sequences. It is indeed slow-paced. From what I briefly read, this movie was relatively low-budget – @ 35 million which is close to the cost of one tv episode...

Oh and I too bought that same dvd box set. Have yet to watch it though!

your kidding... around 35 million for one episode? that's crazy.

.... the last few seasons really took some of the luster off for me.

Ditto for me too!

No aliens, no government conspiracies, actually no supernatural oddities, nothing paranormal.... which some might think as boring.

A shame, since that's one of the reasons why I loved the show ...

Thanks for the feedback all!!

:)

your kidding... around 35 million for one episode? that's crazy.

I could be mistaken about the cost per episode. I thought I read that somewhere... (ain't it cool news?) But I've also read that the first film cost @66+ million, so this new feature is almost half of that.

My friends and I went to see it, hoping it'd be really good so we could finally convince ourselves to get the show and watch it... this movie was pretty lame. It was engaging the whole way thru because it was interesting and doesn't give alot of clues, but the way the film basically peters out,a nd the real lack of 'X-file-ey' stuff left us underwhelmed...

As an X-Files fan (who stopped watching after season 5), I liked the movie. It wasn't jaw-dropping, but it was still very good. As people have noted, it's essentially a 2-hour episode that is character driven, not plot driven. If you genuinely liked the characters of Mulder and Scully, you'll love the movie. If you watched X-Files for the aliens, mutants, and double plot twists, then you'll be disappointed.

I wouldn't mind them making another (couple?)....

It's like a nice piece of chicken. It's cooked and seasoned just right, but it's chicken so it doesn't stand out... but it's CHICKEN and it still kicks a solid degree of ass. :)

But then again, this is from a guy with Mr. X as his avatar... :p

I saw it last night. I was never that big of a fan but I did enjoy the show and first movie. This was also a good movie but more a character piece with the case taking the back seat to focus on the relationship of Scully and Mulder which has already been mentioned. If you do want to see it I would suggest as a random matinee on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon.