Macross Frontier Mecha/Technology Thread III *Read 1st Post*

azrael

OR:

He's an Alto fan and is so eager to be like him that he started jettisoning parts before the battle even began (begun?).

Well, he still have the wing root beam gun and the head lasers. Since we know that S.M.S. brownies are no CF at all as long they are using VF-25 (naked or fully armed). Only 3 VF-25 are shown destroyed, 2 by Alto and 1 by Michel (Sheryl).

Another blooper, one of the arm of VB-6 was blown to bits, yet when it transformed into batroid, it was fully functional again.

Both actually but the guns can still be used even if the front part was wrecked.

That there is Human technology at its finest even if it breaks it still keeps going.

The VB-6 took 2 hits.

Hit #1, port side arm cannon barrels: hitno1ti1.th.jpgthpix.gif Hit #2, port side foot: hitno2ss5.th.jpgthpix.gif

Well, he still have the wing root beam gun and the head lasers. Since we know that S.M.S. brownies are no CF at all as long they are using VF-25 (naked or fully armed). Only 3 VF-25 are shown destroyed, 2 by Alto and 1 by Michel (Sheryl).

I can see them sending out every last VF that could fight for that last battle. And don't forget the RVF that Luca lost when Alto saved him way back in episode 7 (it was 7 right?)

I can see them sending out every last VF that could fight for that last battle. And don't forget the RVF that Luca lost when Alto saved him way back in episode 7 (it was 7 right?)

Actually, Alto was able to recover that RVF.

Oh damn thats right, thanks for the catch on that.

On another note anyone have any ideas on why they go from 30mm cannons all the way to 58mm ones for the 25s?

IRL reason, because it's closer to the 55mm's on the VF-1.

Plausible in-universe explanation, energy converting armor has evolved to a point where 30mm armor piercing shells simply couldn't provide enough stopping power anymore.

IRL reason, because it's closer to the 55mm's on the VF-1.

Plausible in-universe explanation, energy converting armor has evolved to a point where 30mm armor piercing shells simply couldn't provide enough stopping power anymore.

Good points, kinda figured IRL reason but always good to here it from someone else as well. Although they do have those 25mm cannons in the wings, makes me wonder just how many -25s have the cannons as to the beam guns. And here's a pic of some real cannon rounds for those who care, the 20x102mm is what the M61 in many US fighters fires and the 30x173mm is what the GAU-8 in the A-10 uses. Just think of what a 58mm would look like.

post-8467-1222761440_thumb.jpg

Edited by hobbes221

Good points, kinda figured IRL reason but always good to here it from someone else as well. Although they do have those 25mm cannons in the wings, makes me wonder just how many -25s have the cannons as to the beam guns. And here's a pic of some real cannon rounds for those who care, the 20x102mm is what the M61 in many US fighters fires and the 30x173mm is what the GAU-8 in the A-10 uses. Just think of what a 58mm would look like.

I would say the 58mm round would most likely look something like the 50x330mm round shown. I however have always been of the opinion that both the boar diameters and the ammo loads given for gunpods are completely ridiculous. For some perspective a M224 mortar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M224_Mortar is 60mm. I just can't see how the gunpods shown would have nearly enough room to accommodate the massive quantities of large shells needed for the type of sustained fire they show.

Edited by anime52k8

Thanks for the list of Ghosts pics!!

so there's a purple colored variant to the V9?

and i vaguely remembered reading a magazine article which mentioned that Luca's ghosts are different from the "normal" ghosts from NUNS, but i couldn't really tell the different from the small picture.

also noticed that the Galaxy's V9 placed its eye camera back onto the front tip of the ghost just like the Macross Plus' X9 version.

Luca's GHOST fighters have AI's that he can turn fully control over too, not the normal AI's like regular GHOST but the banned kind like in the Sharon Apple Incident autonomus AI, In episode 25 of Frontier Luca releases the controls to them and says (according to GG Subs) "Simon! John! Peter! (refering to his 3 GHOST by names) Now, I absolve you of your yokes! (refering to the lockouts he has on them) The strength which once trapped Macross City in fear! Judah System, release! (refering to the Sharon Apple incident and the name he calls his control system the Judah System).

Well, it's the same with the {insert action movie name and hero here} never runs out of ammo. I think the most implossible one is the never-ending, yet 200 r carrying GU-11 of the VF-1. After that, ammo loads increased, and clips became replaceable. At least with those gun pods we have the off-screen excuse of ammo clips being changed.

I'm actually curious why 58 mm was chosen (unless if it's a typo and it should be 55 mm). Is there some real world significance? A number? Numerology gives us a 4. 4th main VF? (VF-1, VF-4, VF-11, VF-171???)

I would say the 58mm round would most likely look something like the 50x330mm round shown. I however have always been of the opinion that both the boar diameters and the ammo loads given for gunpods are completely ridiculous. For some perspective a M224 mortar http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M224_Mortar is 60mm. I just can't see how the gunpods shown would have nearly enough room to accommodate the massive quantities of large shells needed for the type of sustained fire they show.

I think I figured how Song Energy is able to counteract a Super Dimension Energy blast.

In Macross 7 The Galaxy is Calling Me , Emilia's song reached Macross 7 through a dimensional anomally.

In Frontier the Vajra Queen was able to create a Dimensional Rift barrier for itself.

That is how Fire Bomber was able to protect themselves and Macross 7 from the Protodevlin's SD energy blasts.

Basically the Song Energy creates a dimensional rift. Which doesn't surprise because Song Energy converters use SD energy as well.

Though not impenetrable like the Queen.

Edited by RedWolf

Well, it's the same with the {insert action movie name and hero here} never runs out of ammo. I think the most implossible one is the never-ending, yet 200 r carrying GU-11 of the VF-1. After that, ammo loads increased, and clips became replaceable. At least with those gun pods we have the off-screen excuse of ammo clips being changed.

I'm actually curious why 58 mm was chosen (unless if it's a typo and it should be 55 mm). Is there some real world significance? A number? Numerology gives us a 4. 4th main VF? (VF-1, VF-4, VF-11, VF-171???)

what always got me is how if I remember correctly the YF-19 and YF-21 have something like 600 and 800 rounds respectively, and I doubt if it's possible to actually fit that much ammo into either of those gunpods

what always got me is how if I remember correctly the YF-19 and YF-21 have something like 600 and 800 rounds respectively, and I doubt if it's possible to actually fit that much ammo into either of those gunpods

I don't recall the specs ever listing the ammo count on the 19's or 21's gunpods. I always thought that was a RPG thing.

I think that's RPG stuff. The Macross Compendium doesn't have it and if it was a number count, I probably would have noticed the number in english when going through my copy of This Is Animation Special Macross Plus. It would be great to have an ammo count, or more importantly a caliber for the YF-19/YF-21 guns.

Edited by Mr March

Notice that it doesn't even have a GUNPOD!!! :ph34r:

Ladies & Gentlement I present to you the Macross Quarter Kamikaze Squad. :ph34r:

But seriously.....I've mentioned that before either here or on the Episode 25 thread, and I'd like to blame the shortage of Super Pack parts on Alto. :lol: IIRC, not only did he managed to loss 2 VF-25F's and a VF-171EX he also managed to loose (by the end of the series) 2 Armored Packs and at least 3 Super Packs. <_< He's lucky that Mr. Bilrer has his billions. :wacko:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

maybe they're packing twin VF-sized katanas now instead of the regular knives, hence the lack of the gunpod. LOL!

So..about the EX-Gear....I guess it safe to say that when you are using the EX-Gear its not actually your actual hand that is seen but a mechanical hand controlled with the joy stick thingy. :)

3 pic sequence captured in slow mo. :D

snapshot20081001212259oz7.th.jpgthpix.gif

snapshot20081001212312sy8.th.jpgthpix.gif

snapshot20081001212329eu1.th.jpgthpix.gif

I was thinking and could not for the life of me remember if this had been talked about before but what does anyone think of the problem with Klan in her micronized from? Could this be a sign of future problems with the Zentradi/Meltrandi gene pool? I was watching the last few episodes of stargate SG1 and the whole thing with the Asgard and their own problems with having used cloning for so long got me going on this. I guess that we need to know more about her background. There could also have been problems if the Zentradi went back to the old school way of reproducing as well, if for some reason their reproductive systems had developed defects from not having been used for so long. Does anyone know if they still use cloning tech around the Frontier time frame?

Once again sorry if this has been gone before and feel free to ignore me if it has.

Oh and grss1982 about the EX-gear and the hands not being 'your' hands, makes Alto way back in episode 1 when he folds his giant paper airplane out of that poster all the while in his EX-Gear look pretty slick.

So..about the EX-Gear....I guess it safe to say that when you are using the EX-Gear its not actually your actual hand that is seen but a mechanical hand controlled with the joy stick thingy. :)

yup. i believe it was shown in episode 6 (or the episode where sheryl wreaks havoc in alto's school because she wanted to get a feel of how it is to study there) where an ex-gear's arm was open and it showed the wearer's hand inside, gripping a control stick with different buttons which i suspect might be to trigger action macros.

how are VF's controlled in battroid mode? i mean part of me wants to say their dexterity and fluidity of movement is due careful manipulations of the contro sticks and paddles, but then their are those scenes where the pilot physicaly makes the same moves a the VF in battroid mode as seen in the Klan throwing Michaels sniper rifle to Alto. so what gives?

how are VF's controlled in battroid mode? i mean part of me wants to say their dexterity and fluidity of movement is due careful manipulations of the contro sticks and paddles, but then their are those scenes where the pilot physicaly makes the same moves a the VF in battroid mode as seen in the Klan throwing Michaels sniper rifle to Alto. so what gives?

My theory is that given the way that the EX-Gear is used, by this I mean that control stick and throttle along with what would be the the arm rest area behind them are on joints being that they are arms in their own right there could be a little bit of movement in them once the Valkyrie is in battroid or gerwalk mode that would allow the pilot to slave the movement to VF's arms. Something along the lines of the Arm Slave system from Full Metal Panic is what I have been thinking lately.

Edited by hobbes221

yup. i believe it was shown in episode 6 (or the episode where sheryl wreaks havoc in alto's school because she wanted to get a feel of how it is to study there) where an ex-gear's arm was open and it showed the wearer's hand inside, gripping a control stick with different buttons which i suspect might be to trigger action macros.

ex-gear control was shown in the very first episode when alto was folding sheryl's poster into an airplane. :huh:

I noticed that moment as well, DHX. Posted it on another board, but haven't mentioned it here. Alto's VF-25 Messiah grabbed the sniper gun pod that was thrown to him by Kuran. Inside the cockpit, Alto reached out with his arm and grabbed the air, yet the Valkyrie's arm and hand followed his motions and caught the sniper gun. I wonder, is this "motion capture" technology? Perhaps the cockpit computer is monitoring pilot movements and responds to them when quick and complex movements are required, movements that might otherwise be too complicated for throttle-and-stick control? It would explain quite a bit about the complex maneuvers that a valkyrie can perform.

Hey that is one of the best answers that I have heard for this problem, great idea Mr March! That would also allow for the scene with Michael and his -25G when he was talking with Klan out on the hull back in episode 9.

And with some BDI, Michel may actually feel the "Klan slap" :blink: . Wait, if the "motion capture" technology are indeed are being implemented on VF-25 as Mr.March pointed, then we can have a G Gundam like control scheme......oh no.....I'm started to imagining things...... :wacko: (hint: PPB Shining Finger.....)

Agreed. After that level of absurdity, almost anything seems plausible by comparison.

A Valkyrie cockpit wouldn't allow for G Gundam crazyness in any event; there's not enough room, even in Battroid configuration. But it could explain punches and kicks and especially much more complex moves, like block and parry. It would be especially useful to explain how Alto in his VF-25 and Brera in his VF-27 managed to dive toward each other in space and interlock the fingers of their mecha, engaging in a pushing match against each other. That kind of reflex fast, yet finely coordinated action would be a fine candidate for motion capture cockpit controls.

Edited by Mr March