X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Guest sh002

no.

Seconded. I never cared for the whole samurai past thing... the whole honorable swordsman thing never really jived with the angry animal that'd just as soon gut you as drink with you.

If there's one good thing that came out of all this, it's that the Deadpool movie got back some momentum. :)

http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=8308

Hoping for the best with this one. :)

I'm down with a Deadpool movie... as long as it's a wisecracking Deadpool who carries his swords in sheaths on his back, not in his forearms, doesn't teleport (without assistance from Cable, anyway), and definitely doesn't shoot optic blasts.

I saw this movie and liked it. It could have been better, and comparisons to other movies aside, I enjoyed it.

It's up there with X2 for me, but not better than Iron Man. It was better than last year's Hulk and Punisher War Zone IMO, both if which I enjoyed(yeah I actually like the latter, thought it was ridiculous and didn't take itself too seriously, but fun at the same time. It was way better than X3.

Now there were things that I didn't like. Sabretooth running on all fours. Come on. That looked corny. It didn't matter to me if it was comic accurate or not, it just didn't look cool, nor very believable. I'd much rather see him as a brawler who ran towards you and slugged at you with fists and nails, not hopping around like a seal chasing a beachball at a circus.

I didn't like the exaggerated guns-a-blazing scene in the beginning with Zero. It could have been done better without being inspired by the Wachowski's and/or John Woo. Some of the action scenes in general were just too over the top for me. Yes it's a comic book movie and yes it's to be expected, but I'd like to less cliche action sequences. Gambit jumping 30-40ft in the air to look cool for the camera after blowing up a bridge didn't really look cool to me.

Other than that I thought most of the 1 on 1 fights were good. Wolvy and Sabretooth had intense bouts. Despite being different from the comics, I like the twists that were shown in this movie. You can definitely tell that it was inspired by the old, and even some of the recent books from a few years book, even after Origins; it paid homage to them even if it wasn't by replicating certain incidents verbatim. I didn't mind that, I thought it was a neat touch, it was cool to notice these things and remember where it came from. I also liked how it tied into X1.

The humor wasn't that bad, which is something I typically worry about with comic/toy/whatever-based movies, like the upcoming ROTF.

I didn't mind Deadpool, would have preferred that he had the costume from the comics of course, and that he didn't swing his swords the same way that every other swordsman in every other recent martial arts movie swings their swords. I will say that it looked a lot better in final form than in the workprint.

It was funny to see why his mouth was sewn shut.

I also want to see it, but if it's one thing I hate it's that Jon Woo, way-over-the-top action and I'm getting the impression that this movie's just full of that; I may have to wait until this hits VHS...

I also want to see it, but if it's one thing I hate it's that Jon Woo, way-over-the-top action and I'm getting the impression that this movie's just full of that; I may have to wait until this hits VHS...
The John Woo-esque part is only in the beginning when Zero starts firing at people. There are other over the top parts, like Gambit's 40 ft leap over an explosion of his own making, but that I would just say isn't as John Woo-esque as the gun intro of Zero.

saw it after Trek... I can't believe that people think this is better than x3... this was a horrible POS. Weak plot, sloppy characterizations, horrible casting... Were they contractually obligated to have a "wolverine looks up into the sky and screams" scene every 15 mins? And the visual effects were horrendous, scif-fi channel movie of the week bad. Nevermind the horrible models, the craptastic textures and lighting... just the compositing was criminal. I'm pretty sure I've seen fan made SW movies on youtube that were pieced together better than this.

Pretty much the only thing that worked in this for me was Liev Schreiber's sabertooth.

saw it after Trek... I can't believe that people think this is better than x3... this was a horrible POS. Weak plot, sloppy characterizations, horrible casting... Were they contractually obligated to have a "wolverine looks up into the sky and screams" scene every 15 mins? And the visual effects were horrendous, scif-fi channel movie of the week bad. Nevermind the horrible models, the craptastic textures and lighting... just the compositing was criminal. I'm pretty sure I've seen fan made SW movies on youtube that were pieced together better than this.

Pretty much the only thing that worked in this for me was Liev Schreiber's sabertooth.

Finally, someone who agrees with me! Honestly, I think X3 gets a lot of flak because it was so mediocre after the first two were so awesome. Mediocre though it was, I didn't find it offensive the way I did Wolverine. Killing Cyke bothers me less than shitting on Deadpool.

I think the whole "screwing up the potentially awesome Phoenix storyline" is what did it for me with X3. Even though it's been years since X3 came out, it still irks me to this day about what could have been with that film. (If only Bryan Singer had passed on Superman Returns and worked on X3 instead. :rolleyes: )

With Wolverine, I already came in with lowered expectations and didn't expect too much. I understand why folks are annoyed with the film (the Deadpool crap, mutant cameos in almost every scene, etc.).

But for me, my expectations going into both of these films had a major impact on my final impression of the two: X3 may have met my crappy expectations. But it only added to my separate disappointment about what could have been.

I was expecting Wolverine to be even crappier than X3. And since I really wasn't all that invested in this movie, I could look past the crap I already expected and enjoy those minor parts of the film that were surprisingly good.

X3 was on cable last night.

Here is what is wrong with that movie. Magneto see's Mystique's buck naked super model body laying on the floor. Weeps a little tear that she's no longer a mutant and leaves her. Sure some men prefer mutants just like some men prefer blonds but if can get a naked super model who cares.

Here is what is wrong with that movie. Magneto see's Mystique's buck naked super model body laying on the floor. Weeps a little tear that she's no longer a mutant and leaves her. Sure some men prefer mutants just like some men prefer blonds but if can get a naked super model who cares.

Magneto did not see her as beautiful any more in fact she had become disgusting when she was hit with the cure gun.

Magneto is a xenophobe.

Well Magneto would rather shag his own kind than a human any given day of the week.

He just needs to pop that lil blue pill to do it first.

I played the Wolverine game, and saw the movie for comparisons........crap, I liked the game so much better. The movie was just god awful to me...so I guess I don't like X-men in general. The first movie was cheesey, the second was decent, the third was horrible cause it killed off to many important roles, and this wolverine film was just boring and cheesey to watch.

Just watch it today.

It is hardly a good movie but it is still better than the crappy X3.

I would say that I enjoy watching it (even story is a bit silly, some CG are cheap), guess it is because I know nothing about the comic x-men origin story.

Well Magneto would rather shag his own kind than a human any given day of the week.

He just needs to pop that lil blue pill to do it first.

I played the Wolverine game, and saw the movie for comparisons........crap, I liked the game so much better. The movie was just god awful to me...so I guess I don't like X-men in general. The first movie was cheesey, the second was decent, the third was horrible cause it killed off to many important roles, and this wolverine film was just boring and cheesey to watch.

The moves in the game looks repetitive IMO. Can you die in the game??

The moves in the game looks repetitive IMO. Can you die in the game??

Well it is a button masher game so it does seem repetitive. And yes you can die, by continuously being attacked to the point your regeneration can't start. Everytime your hit you gotta wait a few seconds for your health to replenish, but if you keep getting it it'll just knock down.

I went against some female assassins at one point while trailing gambit, and they all orgied me and killed me in no time. I had to find a way to either take 'em all on, or somehow pull them away from eachother one at a time.

It's funny too, because in X-Men and X-Men 2, it's hinted that Magneto and Mystique have a sexual relationship :)

It's funny too, because in X-Men and X-Men 2, it's hinted that Magneto and Mystique have a sexual relationship :)

Man... And Magneto is old... but I guess he can just pull all the iron rich blood to his... ummm... and yeah! Mystique would be the best gf... I mean fantasy wise.

Magnus why do you want me to put on this bald cap and ride around in this wheelchair all day.

Shaddap! Why do you need a bald cap? You're Mystique dammit!

Man... And Magneto is old... but I guess he can just pull all the iron rich blood to his... ummm... and yeah! Mystique would be the best gf... I mean fantasy wise.

Magnus why do you want me to put on this bald cap and ride around in this wheelchair all day.

Shaddap! Why do you need a bald cap? You're Mystique dammit!

LOL! That's definitely over-thinking it, to the point of a Kevin Smith dialog :)

Although, Superman's "capabilities" ala Smith did make it into a Peter Berg film. I can't wait to see what Berg does with Dune ;)

Didn't hate it, didn't think it was a "good" movie, but was entertained. Big opportunity missed to give Hugh Jackman a truly iconic role and establish Wolverine the way real fans know and love him.

- Wolverine's berserker rage never really played into it

- Overall personality was somewhat wolverine, but not gritty enough

- Amnesia was glazed over, should have been more developed

- Brothers? No.

- Origin itself was too brief.

- Lack of attention to real detail and uniqueness. Like someone else said, it was standard "coolness" affair and didn't strive to be "special"

- Everyone's age seems to be thrown around like rag dolls. Timelines, people?

- dug the side characters

- Great fight scenes

- good FX (not great)

This movie was not made with a lot of love, but it was popcorn summertime entertainment.

I loved the sequence of them going through all the wars from the Civil war up to present. That was really unique and well done.

I guess I never realized that Wolverine was born in the 1800s and was immortal.