DECULTURE!!! Ranka's Phone and Gubaba (Custom Plush)

crasis

So I was expecting to be pretty miserable today, what with turning 30 and all, but my wife simply wouldn't stand for it. She made sure my birthday was an incredible experience, and whipped up some Macross magic that made me feel like a kid again. I wanted to share the goodness with you all.

First off, the birthday cake:

100_4872sm.jpg

There was a bit of an argument among my friends as to who would get Sheryl's...bits. :lol:

I scored some incredible gifts, but there was one I'd NEVER expect: a custom, hand-sewn, plush, life-size replica of Ranka Lee's phone from Macross Frontier! This thing is ridiculously cute! My wife took a lot of time researching and making this thing. I don't know how she does it!

100_4924.jpg

100_4925.jpg

100_4926sm.jpg

100_4927.jpg

And here are some shots of the little guy with another incredible custom she made me a few years back - GUBABA:

100_4897sm.jpg

100_4910sm.jpg

100_4912sm.jpg

100_4913sm.jpg

Here are some other fun shots:

Salacious Crumb found something better than an iPhone:

100_4901sm.jpg

100_4902sm.jpg

Hanging with the VB-6 König Monster, baby!

100_4908sm.jpg

My custom TV Q-Rau in the house!

100_4914sm.jpg

The birthday haul:

100_4915sm.jpg

100_4917sm.jpg

...I just HAD to:

100_4890sm.jpg

:) Yeah, I love this woman. :)

1) Happy birthday!

2) Your wife rocks. :o

3) That cake is absolutely amazing. How is it even possible?

4) Nice pencil holder! And is that the newly re-released Battle Angel?

5) I just turned thirty and...well, let me just say, I'm going to show my wife this thread and put her to shame!

Thanks guys! She's definitely a keeper. :)

And that green Q-Rau.. is it a custom from the yamato 1/60 or something else? it looks sweet.

Yep, that's a custom made from the 1/60 Milia DYRL (red) Q-Rau. I can't take the credit for it, though...I picked it up on eBay a few years ago (I only WISH I was that good at customizing). I figured back then that the chances of an official TV colors one would be pretty slim (I guess I was right), so I bit the bullet and bid on this. If I remember correctly, a Macross World member actually created this. It even has a red LED light built into the faceplate.

Here's a (crappy) pic of the shelf where it currently resides, in my Max and Milia display:

maxmiliashelf.jpg

1) Happy birthday!

2) Your wife rocks. :o

3) That cake is absolutely amazing. How is it even possible?

4) Nice pencil holder! And is that the newly re-released Battle Angel?

5) I just turned thirty and...well, let me just say, I'm going to show my wife this thread and put her to shame!

1) Thanks!! :)

2) Absolutely! She was blushing like crazy a minute ago when I told her about this thread. I don't think she realizes how awesome she is.

3) The cake is made with edible "ink" icing. The local grocery store simply requires a quality printout or hi-res JPG, and they can scan in the image and print it out using a special machine that uses food coloring rather than inks. I'm still not 100% sure how it works, but I must say that Ranka's head was incredibly delicious. :unsure::lol: I love the image she used!

4) Oh yeah! I forgot that was in the photos. That ceramic pencil holder was another thing my wife made for me back when we first started dating. She drew/painted the entire thing and had it fired at a local paint-your-own-pottery studio. Each side represents character pairings in DYRL: Roy & Claudia, Max & Milia, Hikaru/Misa/Minmay, and Roy/Hikaru (for good measure). I lucked out when I took a gamble and had her watch Macross with me one night. She really fell in love with the space opera aspect of it.

And yeah, that's the "new" 2008 Battle Angel. From what I can tell, they simply slapped a 2008 copyright on the old product. But I missed out on that DVD years ago, and never wanted to pay the crazy mark-up for it, so you won't hear any complaints here.

5) :blink: Well, there's always 31... ^_^

Damn your are one hell of a lucky guy. I'm with Maverick, your wife has changed my opinion about marriage. Your wife sounds pretty talented, she should sell some of her work.

You have an awesome collection BTW.

Geez, you make all of us jealous ^_^

In my last birthday, my wife makes me a cake with Gundam decorations on it, in fact all these years she keep thinking that I'm a hardcore Gundam fans :mellow: Maybe got something to do with all the Gunpla in my room after we got married :huh:

So what type of flavored cake was it? Looks deliciously splendiforus. :lol:

My favorite – chocolate cake with vanilla frosting (and a whole lotta food coloring ^_^ ). It is full of transfatty goodness, I'm sure, but yumlicious! Here's all that's left:

100_4931cake.jpg

Someone's going to have to cut Sheryl's face...because I just can't bring myself to. :unsure::lol: