VF-11 IHP+Revoltech-stein

Valkyrie addict

ok, here's my next fun little project since I'm currently having a lot of free time, I was *cough*playing*cough* with my revoltechs and was looking at a IHP 1/100 vf-11c recast box I got from Valk009 a long time ago that I just shelfed cause the model was just a fitting and built nightmare and the recast didn't help either, adding insult to injury, it came with recasted polycaps that are a big no-no and I'm too lazy to order just a set of polycaps all the way from japan

now, just in case, I'm not dissing Valk009 here, he gave it to me at a nice price and had cleared before that it was not one of his best recasts

anyway, while contemplating the vf-11 box and the revoltech, it hit me, hey, why don't you use the revoltech joints on the vf-11, after giving it much thought, I decided, what the hell, my VF-1S roy has a loose joint so ill butcher him

and here we go...

Edited by Valkyrie addict

now, when I started looking at the revoltech joints I just gotta say something, it's very simple but yet very clever what they do and I learned a new respect for them and I know that I'm gonna have to do a lot of modding to the vf-11 to make the joints work the way they're supposed to

ok, I'm starting with the extremities

here's a comparing with the revoltech's and the model, I draw a line where I would have to drill following the way the revoltech joints are on the vf-1s

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

already drill on the upper extremities, I encountered a little problem, the joint will not fit on the shoulder, much like the vf-1, I don't like the joint to stand out too much and the shoulder itself is hollow so there's not much to drill into, so I decided to drill at an angle that will also allow the joint more free movement

005-1.jpg

also on the torso will drill at an angle

011.jpg

all extremities drilled

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

here's the legg with the joint and a new problem, to front, the knee isn't low enough and leaves a gap, now, i could just sand and push the joint down to close the gap, but behind, there isn't enough clearance for the knee to bent all the way it's supposed to, so I will probably extend the knee with some spare part and putty and will cut on the back to allow for more clearance

009.jpg

010.jpg

and here's the arm with the torso, I need to see how will it fits since the torso will be important for the joint to have free range movement

012.jpg

013.jpg

looks good huh?, but wait... when we add the backpack, the way IHP design this since it's a transforming model, the bar completely blocks the joint

015.jpg

014.jpg

now, I will cut on the bar to make it fit and allow the joint more free movement

016.jpg

017.jpg

that's it for now, gonna go get a bite to eat, I will post more progress pics in the evening

working on the torso and will explain Yamato's GNU line main problem that makes them lack poseability ala revoltech

ok, little update...working on the torso area that's the key to Revoltech great posability...excuse the crappy pics

018.jpg

019.jpg

now, the Revoltech articulate in two areas of the torso, the upper half so the body can tilt up and down, and the bottom where the leggs are attached so they can rotate laterally, Yamato's GNU-Dou line doesn't have this articulation and makes them look stiff and limit their poseability, their limbs articulation are as good as the revoltech and in fact, look better, but the body is stiff and sorta takes the fun away, this is something Yamato should address in their next GNU releases

I outline where the revoltech joint

021.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

woa there...
020.jpg

ok, last update and call it a night...

cockpit cut
025.jpg

lot of trimming/sanding to go
026.jpg

nice and smooth
027.jpg

little problem, the canopy shield was designed to go over the canopy itself by IHP, problem, it's too wide and can slide under the torso
028.jpg

the shield itself was hollow, so if i worked on it to make it slimmer it wouldn't help much, found this other piece that looked like part of a canopy, actually have no idea what it is for but I took this, sand and fit it
029.jpg

there you go, nice and snuggly
031.jpg

032.jpg

now, according to line art, the leggs don't articulate on the nosecone, but on a piece that slides down on transformation, here it is

033.jpg

yeah, the piece is too fat, so, I will cut and sand to make it slimmer and fit

034copy.jpg

there you go, much better, now, again with lineart, that piece is suppose to go higher, where it's outline, but I will have to put it a bit lower so the leggs don't clash with the wings

035.jpg

ok, now, the nose has to rotate from side to side, I was gonna cut it a bit lower, but the 'pelvis area' piece won't allow me or it will interfere with the wings, so had to cut higher, this was a royal pain in the ass to figure out how to make it work and exactly where to cut and where to put the 'pelvis area' so when it rotates it doesn't hit the rest of the torso

if I made the piece itself rotate, it would look unnatural behind the nose, if I ditched that part and used the nose, I could have problem fitting it cause the nose is too thin already and could break easily while posing it, so I decided to make them be togueter and rotate

ok, it's cut... broke my exacto knife...it was an old rusty one and needed a new one either way

036.jpg

now, I added a small tab and drilled a small hole on the canopy so that the 'pelvis area' rotates with the nosecone

037.jpg

and it should look like this, I'll do my best so the gap won't be too noticeable in the end

038.jpg

now, back to the leggs

in here I increased the joint housing so the leg could flex more, comparison shot, before and after
039.jpg

now, you can see here, how I could make it flex almost at a ~110° angle compare to an almost ~45° it was doing before
040.jpg

now, all parts puttied, I actually have to fill very big gaps and spaces, so I'm using epoxy putty, that thing left me with one hell of a headache cause it smelled like raw sewer, anyway, just hightlighting the cockpit, putty to fill gaps and make it look natural, extended the knees to cover the joint

041.jpg

ok, that's it for today, time to leave the putty to dry overnight so I can shape it properly tommorrow... thanks for looking

Kaiyodo needs to give Valkyrie Addict a contract when this project is done.

This is a brilliant idea.

Wonder how many SHE kits (minus the polycaps) will follow in its wake.

Are you going to use the leftover Revoltech parts for a Valk girl or glue them up to make a joke machine fighter?

That's awesome man! I thought about doing that with another kit, but I just couldn't bare to bust up a revoltech figure! Keep up the great engineering! - MT

haha! thanks guys, well, the project proved harder than what I expected, this is actually my first time that I'm doing some severe modification to a kit, but I'm really enjoying this

ok, didn't do much today, it was a boring day of filling and sanding, had to fix a lot of the kit imperfection and holes, I was looking at the crappy gunpod the kit brought, thinking of modding to be more accurate or just make it from scratch, I think that by tomorrow night I should have most of the kit ready to try putting all the joints together and try some initial poses

didn't get as much work as I wanted to yesterday... here's testing how most of it look

I took the vf-1 hands and gunpod borrowed for a few secs
042.jpg

arms looks good to me, but the legs looked weird until I checked the revoltechs and realized the leggs are not exactly straight, they are angled outward like a cowboy, so more heavy puttying and sanding to reshape the legs, don't worry about that ugly gap on the nose, I'm already sanding it smooth too, oh yeah, small little gripe, the wings should cover a more wider space on the back to not make it look too skinny, but I think the FAST pack will cover this space

043.jpg

ok, nothing big, reshaping and improving stuff

when looking at the arms I felt they look too long, the elbow revy joint was standing out, so I open more space on the arm to house the joint, and also work on it to improve how much the joint could flex... here's comparing with the revy getting similar flexing

044.jpg

045.jpg

was looking also at the crazy amount of putty I was suppose to sand to reshape the leggs, but I decided a much much easier solution, added a small angled peg on the 'pelvis area' that will allow the leggs to be angled outward like the revy

046.jpg

ok, now I just want to point this out, I initially ignored how the revy torso joint was positioned and did this,

notice that if I try to move the joint up, the cockpit will clash with the joint itself
048.jpg

047.jpg

so I learned my lesson and followed the revys way
049.jpg

now here you can see that the torso can flex quite a bit
050.jpg

finally, I'm debating myself if I should do this or not...when I cut the backpack area so the shoulder joint could have more space, the thrusters got crammed and look too close, according to line art they should be more apart and have a bar between them, I trying to see if it's worth the hassle to cut and reposition them and add the bar between... I don't know wacko.gif

051.jpg

oh man >EXO< I could sure use those joints, I think toy-wave.com sells them at 10.00 USD, but you got them for free, ENVY!! I had to butchered my roy vf-1s!! hahaha!! :angry:

Fly4victory, the idea of recasting had crossed my mind, problem is, I don't know squat about how to do it and what is needed... :unsure:

oh man >EXO< I could sure use those joints, I think toy-wave.com sells them at 10.00 USD, but you got them for free, ENVY!! I had to butchered my roy vf-1s!! hahaha!! :angry:

Fly4victory, the idea of recasting had crossed my mind, problem is, I don't know squat about how to do it and what is needed... :unsure:

It's such a beautiful project, PM me your address and I'll send you 2 sets... all other PMs will be laughed at!

As for recasting, it's too late, you already glued and puttied some parts. You needed to make the holes for the joints and all your customizations before you made the other parts unrecastable... but so what? You'll have an awesome one of a kind revoltech valk!!!

Dammit, I wish I was at SDCC!!! I'd love to use those joints to modify my Revoltech Prime's shoulders, or even for my scratch-built wanzer(which is still in progress). ;_;

VA, this modding is awesome! I'd do the same to my YF-19 1/60 if it wasn't so darn big, or if I was heartless enough to leave my Revoltech VF-1S arm/legless ... :D

Keep it up. A variable Valkyrie kit with revoltech joints... that's just awesome.

Edited by MangledMess

the idea of recasting had crossed my mind, problem is, I don't know squat about how to do it and what is needed... :unsure:

I googled it and it looks interesting making silicon molds much better than wax master and plaster mold for metal.

The complex shapes will require mult-piece molds and then scary part for me is the resin. I have had some bad mixes when glassing surfboards, turned into a ruinous mess. I know that molding resin is different but I think just a fickle about proper mixing.

Plus, there is the bubbles when pouring into the mold.

Casting really is art and science.

yeah, I googled it last night too after posting, looks very interesting, also found a neat little article about making small recast bits out of epoxy putty itself, trying it right now...

the kit itself is small, maybe if everything turns out well, I could make a copy of every piece on epoxy and use this copy to make molds for resin... :huh::ph34r: haha!