Best Hero pilot of all the macross series?

best pilot of them all  

30 members have voted

1. 1. If all of the following pilots from the macross series got in a dogfight who would be the victor?

• Hikaru Ichijo
    • Isamu Dyson
    • Gamlin Kizaki
    • Alto Saotome

Simple question. each pilot listed is the heroic pilot of their respective macross story. No Maxmillian because he is a supporting character. No Basara because he was the pop idol of that story. No Guld because he was the rival. No Ozma because he is the elder/mentor figure.

Each pilot will be in their respective hero mode valk. Hikaru gets his VF-1S (booby duck) with all the strike goodies. Isamu and his YF-19 loaded for full battle. Gamlin gets his stealthy VF-17. Alto has his VF-25 with Armor Pack.

Simple situation all 4 meet in space around a ringed palent with zentradi ship wrecks and asteriods in orbit and slug it out.

I'm rooting for Hikaru because he has Macross sized ship worth of luck on his side (the zentradi always seem to fly in front of his gun fire *boogle*.)

Wait a second...yes, Basara is the pop idol of M7, but he's also the heroic pilot...If Max is a supporting character, then Gamlin kind of is, too.

Gamlin is part of the triangle so her gets core character status. Max was a later introduction and not part of the macross love triangle. Basara... well Basara would try singing and since none of the pilots are protodevlin/uncultured zentradi he would get blow out of the sky by a Reaction missle or a Macross missle massacar. Roy as good as he is not in their for the same reason Ozma isn't.

So because Roy has more combat experience than all the others put together, is argueably the best pilot that ever strapped on a Valk and has the ego to match, he's not a hero pilot :wacko::wacko:

So because Roy has more combat experience than all the others put together, is argueably the best pilot that ever strapped on a Valk and has the ego to match, he's not a hero pilot :wacko::wacko:

Roy in an armored VF-25 would be an interesting option...

It's Gamrin dammit, how many times do I have to go all spelling nazi (even tho I only realized it this afternoon).

Not necessarily...both spellings appear in the show. I refuse to believe that a DVD case is the be-all end-all of romanization. Just like I refuse to believe that some Arii model kit box is the ultimate resource for spelling Zentradi (excuse me, "Zjentohlauedy") names.

Not necessarily...both spellings appear in the show. I refuse to believe that a DVD case is the be-all end-all of romanization. Just like I refuse to believe that some Arii model kit box is the ultimate resource for spelling Zentradi (excuse me, "Zjentohlauedy") names.

:blink: They really spelled Zentradi like that?

You're killing my dream of Gamrin catching on btw :(

Moral of this story: Don't take your favourite franchise too seriously. :)

edit: I was just being a smartass btw :unsure:

I'll stop now...

Edited by stray

It's Gamrin dammit, how many times do I have to go all spelling nazi (even tho I only realized it this afternoon).

Then, Japanese put their emphasis on vowels, not consonant, so Gamlin/Gamrin refers to the same person if you speak Japanese.

Moral of this story: Don't take your favourite franchise too seriously. :)

As of right now I have to go with Hikaru because he was not only a good pilot but was also able to fill the roll as a leader, ask again at the end of Frontier I think that Alto has potential if he can calm down a bit.

I voted for Isamu Dyson. Fighting renegade zentraedi was a walk in the park, while his squadmates were having difficulties. The untameable YF-19 that inured/killed the seven previous pilots turned out to not only not be dangerously uncontrollable by Isamu, but he wound up pushing it to the limits of its specs. Isamu has had a damned good share of luck in having survived his accident (OVA's gunpod incident or movie's VF-11 crash), and the orbital descent to Earth while being shot at by the satellite defense grid.

1) Isamu

2) Alto

3) Shin

4) Gamlin

5) Hikaru

Hikaru has skill, but he's been caught off guard way too many times and been downed or screwed up his valkyrie. Wound up in the hospital from being shot down how many times? (seriously I can't remember and I'm too lazy to look it up).

Gamlin is a good pilot, but he had trouble with pulling off a certain high-g maneuver until a particular episode of M7. He's had far less trouble in piloting than Hikaru has had. Kicks ass with the beam gun attachment, and can shoot to disable pretty damned good.

Shin was an ace fighter pilot, and was shaping up to be a good variable fighter pilot. I think that had he had more time to get experience piloting a valkyrie he would have become an ace pilot like Roy or Max. As it is he was able to work his way up to fighting pretty evenly with Nora, who had a skill level that I would consider to be way above Hikaru even at the end of SDF Macross.

Alto has a lot of skill and recklessness. In my eyes he's shaping up to be one of the best hero pilots in the series. He's lost a leg on one, lost one to a vajra, and has had another one damaged multiple times (wing, head unit). Unlike Hikaru, or Isamu, he has yet to wind up in the hospital from an incident regarding piloting a valkyrie. He keeps getting better, has a lot of luck, and has been through some pretty hairy battles.

I think that we need two polls for this, one for best hero and one for best pilot, Dyson's a great pilot but the way that he just does what ever he wants to is the only thing that puts him out of the running for hero in my book. I know that he saved the day on earth but thats not why he was going there in the first place. Makes me wonder just what he was going to do once he got there.

Edited by hobbes221

I think that we need two polls for this, one for best hero and one for best pilot, Dyson's a great pilot but the way that he just does what ever he wants to is the only thing that puts him out of the running for hero in my book. I know that he saved the day on earth but thats not why he was going there in the first place. Makes me wonder just what he was going to do once he got there.

a poll of just best pilot would be horribly skewed by Maxmillion Jenius.

Such a restricted poll.

And where's Shin???

I voted Hikaru! Overall. (if it was a dogfight between those 4 i'd imagine Isamu would win, he's naturally a gifted fighter like Max)

But! The question states best hero pilot not which pilot you think would win in a battle royale of the select 4.

Hikky... yes he has some of the most impressive luck out of all i'd imagine, but he is quite scary when determined. (lots of examples from series)

I go by DYRL? finale most of all, warming up to his prime, i can only imagine how good he got post flashback...

he had to start from scratch, when VF-1's and variable fighters in general were just being born pretty much.

Just remember he had to learn the hard way, and placed in a battle of more than a thousand in the air, no combat experience, only aerobactical talent.

If Shin was in there i'd have a problem separating him and Hikaru. Hikaru more so because he has gone up against some impossible odds.

You could argue he didn't do much other than draw fire, get Roy out of formation and in danger, and crashed the VF-1 into a city.

Whilst Shin, only had fun in a crippled but still workable VF-0 gerwalk, and actually took a chunk out of Nora. lol he's a bloody legend.

But yeah, glad max isn't in there, coz everyone would pick him on natural talent and pure kick ass.

With Isamu, he's pure brilliance, but by the time UN Spacy would have devised a better training program for pilots, so maybe that's a minus and a plus for Hik.

Also Isamu is reckless.

If Guld was there, i'd place him above Isamu, he pushed him self till his eyeballs popped! :lol: But, that's not advisable. :lol: :-/

How else do you stop that monster??? (Ghost X-9)

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

If this is a question about the most heroic pilot, then Guld must be on the list. Guld, in an act of selflessness and redemption for his previous sins makes the ultimate sacrifice in a horribly painful manner. He saves not only his friends, but also humanity itself... he essentially wills himself beyond all human limits, to protect others, despite his flaws. Its a tragic story, which magnifies how heroic he is. Its unrivaled by any other character, save for maybe Roy in DYRL.

Edited by Noyhauser

No one, barring pilots i have not seen in action in Macross 7 or Frontier could defeat the Ghost.

But you hve to give credit to the YF-21 and the BDI whatever it is i (forgot sorry) No way he could have done that without relying on his mind.

perhaps with his Zentran blood he might be able to take pain more too.

And he wasn't so bad, i watch and rewatch and i can't see him raping Myung (although if he didn't see his reflection he might've), just busted her up.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

No one, barring pilots i have not seen in action in Macross 7 or Frontier could defeat the Ghost.

Well in Digital Mission VFX, its pretty easy to do so. A couple of missiles, a bit of gunpod and its over... However Guld had none of those advantages, he had just come out of a knock down drag out fight with Isamu, having expended all of their missiles and other stores. Basically all he had was his arm lasers to fight with. If he wanted to win, he had no choice but to sacrifice himself in the process.

And whether he raped myung (I don't believe he did) or not, it doesn't matter. Guld sacrificed himself in order to atone for the sins of his past; it was his penance. That is what makes it truly heroic; he learned from his failings and sought to be a better human being in a completely selfless act.

Edited by Noyhauser

I'd say Basara. He is the hero pilot of M7. He freaking sings, plays the guitar and is able to avoid being shot down during battle. If he was using live ammo, he'd destroy the enemy fleet by himself. Who else can multi-task like him?

Also we've never seen Guld pilot anything else besides the high tech 21. Granted that he was chosen to be the pilot of the 21 because he's good, I'm sure that gave him a huge advantage.

I still have to go with Hikaru on this. Even though as someone said earlier he has trashed a good number of VF-1s, he has also fought and lived through some of the largest battles ever seen. He survived a run in with Milia (he did right haven't seen it in so long, there was that one episode of SDF Macross right before he got shot down by Misa - Remember, friendly fire isn't!) Survived Misa. But to each his own.

a poll of just best pilot would be horribly skewed by Maxmillion Jenius.

You are still running away from the truth: Max said that Basara is the best. And he is. B))

Like it or not, he's the hero of Macross 7. Just because he's a civilian and shoots songs instead of missiles shouldn't be enought to exclude him from the list. Nor Sylvie, Shin or Guld.

And Hikaru is just an average pilot, he wouldn't stand a chance against the others. :lol:

I read the question as in who is the centralised "main' hero pilot. The one who has to go through love triangles and get seriously messed up n the head. :lol:

Your off target Duke, Hikaru savd Misa and Minmay numerous times. Without either of those 2 ladies where would the Macross and the fate of humankind be?

A Hero can be numerous things of course. max and roy, Roy an Max are the best, everyone knows it.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Your off target Duke, Hikaru savd Misa and Minmay numerous times. Without either of those 2 ladies where would the Macross and the fate of humankind be?

Hikaru is everything Robotech fans think Minmay is. He's childish and he's a whiner. :)

You are still running away from the truth: Max said that Basara is the best. And he is. B))

Like it or not, he's the hero of Macross 7. Just because he's a civilian and shoots songs instead of missiles shouldn't be enought to exclude him from the list. Nor Sylvie, Shin or Guld.

And Hikaru is just an average pilot, he wouldn't stand a chance against the others. :lol:

Actually Max said that Basara was not as good as him when he was younger.

Millia was like in school teacher mode when she told Basara how to gerwalk.

Chlore owned Basara on their first date. Basara won her over in the second date.