Macross Frontier Episode 16 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 16  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 16 Rating

• Positive (Decepti...whoops wrong show...RANKA!!!! ATTACK!!!)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (Sheryl sneaks out of the hospital...I wanna sneak out of this show)

Well the biggest TV in my house is about 27 inches, and none of the ones we have are HD.

Actually, you can make any TV a big screen by...

(wait for it)

...sitting closer.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, it doesn't really matter how big a TV/monitor is, except for establishing how far away you should be sitting from it. Resolution is an independent measurement that tells you how sharp the picture is, when viewed from the correct distance. (Of course, your older TV is going to be behind the times there, too...)

So, in short, size doesn't matter.

Getting back to the episode...

Very dialogue heavy. Looking forward to the sub! Looks like not much happened, but perhaps much was discussed... My guess is the next episode is going to be a fairly slow one, too, although perhaps with more mecha pr0n. The one after that might be fairly slow, too, and then hopefully things would pick up again around episode 19 or so...

Edited by DeeBot

hmm...good episode, I enjoyed it, very gloomy! I actually felt bad for the poor Vajra, they were just getting slaughtered, no fair, by the way, that yellow Vajra that gets blown up EVERY episode since ep.7 is the new cannon fodder VF-11C, someone should count how many times they reused the VF-11C blown up in Macross 7 to see if frontier can catch up with it

I need subs to understand more what's going on, Birla seems to have some sort of plan and ideas as in what's going on...

this episode is very dark, reminded me of SDFM when the serious war drama started sinking in, and I don't like the mood, specially with Ozma returning to the spotlight again to pay a lot of attention to Ranka and worryed sick about her with next episode preview about Ranka and Ozma.... Good bye sister...I think Frontier is about to go to a whole new level storywise...I DON'T WANT OZMA TO DIE DAMN IT!! KILL SOMEONE ELSE!!

I think Frontier is recycling a lot of footage saving budget for some sick ass cool episode in the near future, THEY BETTER!! ^_^

Actually, you can make any TV a big screen by...

(wait for it)

...sitting closer.

:rolleyes:

Seriously, it doesn't really matter how big a TV/monitor is, except for establishing how far away you should be sitting from it. Resolution is an independent measurement that tells you how sharp the picture is, when viewed from the correct distance. (Of course, your older TV is going to be behind the times there, too...)

So, in short, size doesn't matter.

Getting back to the episode...

Very dialogue heavy. Looking forward to the sub! Looks like not much happened, but perhaps much was discussed... My guess is the next episode is going to be a fairly slow one, too, although perhaps with more mecha pr0n. The one after that might be fairly slow, too, and then hopefully things would pick up again around episode 19 or so...

Like I said, I am content.

I think it has been 12 hours so the spoiler time should be done... I'll wait for Azrael to give the offical announcement of that though.

I noticed that

Sheryl's left leg has a mark I had never seen before. I wonder what is it? I doubt it would be a birth mark otherwise we would had already noticed it during Sheryl's scantily clad performances and during the date as well.

I kind of have a bad feeling about it that it could be the revealing side of the drugs Grace had been giving Sheryl resulting in possible physical body degeneration.

And that's 12 hours. No need for the spoiler tags.

Me thinks things are "slow" because it's summer. Lots of people are on vacation or playing outside.

Ah Summer time. People are on vacation (heck one of the live-streams is on vacation so it's probably telling us something). Heck we even have a bunch of MWers at ComiCon this weekend. Things will probably be slow until August.

Now about the episode...

-Love the references to Basara and the Protodevlin. Nice to see people remember history... Although, keep in mind that the history wasn't written by Basara. History records that Basara defeated the Protodevlin, contray to what he said or actually occurred.

-I'm reading in a few spots about Alto's outbursts at Brera. You know, Brera has shot at Alto 3 times already. How can he not want some answers out of the guy. Well, Alto knows better to take on a cyborg now in a fist fight.

-Sheryl gets some sympathy this round. She's pretty much been thrown to the dogs like trash by Grace. She should join SMS. :)

I think this episode was one of the weaker ones. It was good, but not enough for me to like it and not so bad to make me wanna puke.

I actually liked much much more episodes 15-16 than the so acclaimed eps. 7 and 14.

Besides, I don't know but a word or two of japanese, but the ones I understood made me jump out of my chair, and they were

Protodevlin

and... yes,

BASARA (Bobby mentions him near the end)

. :lol:

I noticed that

Sheryl's left leg has a mark I had never seen before. I wonder what is it? I doubt it would be a birth mark otherwise we would had already noticed it during Sheryl's scantily clad performances and during the date as well.

Actually, that mark is seen in the Deculture Edition of the first episode.

Sometimes, but very rarely, I'm glad I don't get home from work until six on Thursdays. I got in, checked Tokyo Toshokan, and *BOOM*: there's raw. Saves me the trouble of sitting around waiting all day for something to appear...although it usually means that the episode discussion thread is fifteen or sixteen pages long by the time i get to it (but I'm a good boy! I read EVERY WORD).

On to the episode:

I really liked it, but I guess I can see why people are down on it...there's definitely a creepy, chilly, downbeat vibe in this one; Vajra killing was never this ooky and depressing before, and Aimo never sounded so disturbing. Our heroes are now the bad guys...or, at least, are doing the bad guys' work. Watching them cheerlessly mop up left me with a real "digging my fingernails into my palms" feeling...I hope they wise up soon.

The Skull's don't seem to like working with Brera, Ranka seems desperately unhappy, and Sheryl is very, very sick. We're moving into the last act, Folks, and things will get worse before they get better.

And with all due respect, whlile

"Lasooing Them there Vajra"

is a fine alternate title, I think

"Look What They Done to My Song, Ma!"

may be more appropriate...

I noticed that

I kind of have a bad feeling about it that it could be the revealing side of the drugs Grace had been giving Sheryl resulting in possible physical body degeneration.

it might be just something from the stockings(ie. long thin socks) that she wore. Otherwise, we would see it a few episodes before now

From ep 1 Deculture ed:

sherylmarksnapshot20080pr2.th.jpg

for a moment i thought our Alto did some naughty things to the unconscious Sheryl... and leaving some ...errmmm... marks :ph34r::p

snapshot20080725131821um1.th.jpg

we have a name for Ranka's pet... Ai Kun :ph34r:^_^

if pets are not allowed on Frontier, where did she get this :mellow:

Edited by Shun

Brera is acting like a jerk on this episode especially when he must shoot through Alto wing just to kill the Vajra. I guess its draw now since Alto blew up one of the VF-27 leg a few episode before, now he getting it even by blowing Alto wing (and the FAST pack).

Every time I saw Konig dodging the fire there I kept on screaming "Transform to battroid you bi***!!". :ph34r:

Edited by Morpheus

From ep 1 Deculture ed:

sherylmarksnapshot20080pr2.th.jpg

for a moment i thought our Alto did some naughty things to the unconscious Sheryl... and leaving some ...errmmm... marks :ph34r::p

snapshot20080725131821um1.th.jpg

we have a name for Ranka's pet... Ai Kun :ph34r:^_^

if pets are not allowed on Frontier, where did she get this :mellow:

I didn't think pets were illegal, just that tampering with wild animals is against and ecological law.

Man the NUN forces really are naive and they are just letting Grace right in too. No one seems to question the fact there is still a squard from the Galaxy that have been hiding while the Frontier has been putting their butts on the line to try and help a sister fleet. This is not going to end well because Grace seems to be fully in control along with those other personalities.

Poor Elmo. He discovers Ranka and gets her into the bigtime, and then gets shoved aside once Leon and Grace decide to start using her.

The ED all but confirmed the idea that Sheryl's going to be an SMS pilot before the end. Some of the artwork clearly showed her in a flight suit and helmet. I can't make much out on the VF-25 that flies into the camera, but there's a colored stripe on each wing that *might* be a shade we haven't seen before (the bright glare makes it hard to be certain what color it is).

Alto's upset with Brera. I wonder why... :rolleyes:

Could it be that Brera has some sort of emotion chip? I believe there were androids in Macross Plus, but I haven't been able to watch the OVA =[. I think Brera has emotions to some extent, or is an cyborg, not an android. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...My head's a bit sleepy now.

Based on the family pictures that we saw back in episode 13 on the Global, coupled with the fact that he knows Aimo, there's a very good chance that Brera is Ranka's brother (though it's unknown if anyone actually knows this). Assuming that, he's definitely a cyborg.

I can't shake the feeling that Brera's shot that hit Alto's wing wasn't exactly unintentional... It's odd that Brera would be so insistant that only HE is allowed to protect Ranka.

It was good to see Sheryl "being Sheryl" again, although I'm pretty sure that the fact that she went up to the bridge is going to guarantee that she goes right back to the hospital. And Alto might also get in trouble for sneaking her onboard. And Sheryl now knows that Grace is working with Ranka. That's not going to go over well... Maybe Sheryl will get lucky, and Canarria (sp?) will run a blood test on her that Grace won't know anything about.

Monster dropping flares:

infrared missiles? :lol: nah.... light sensitive missiles? :unsure:

snapshot20080725133451oj5.th.jpg

Callsign Rabbit One -> Ranka One....

complete with "Call up Monster Girl" Ranka nose art :wub:

snapshot20080725134022jq7.th.jpg

no more Song Energy!! Now the 'in' thing is Emotion Index... :rolleyes:

so emotions are key to the new fold technology... just as predicted ^_^

snapshot20080725134237dg8.th.jpg

Edited by Shun

snapshot20080725134237dg8.th.jpg

Still based on Dr. Chiba's work. He had a machine that measured emotions and used Gamlin as a test subject.

Edited by RedWolf

Song energy -> Song wave -> dimensional fold wave. Darn, soon everyone must start singing in order to Fold, Basara would be proud.

Alto's upset with Brera. I wonder why... :rolleyes:

poor hime used to be getting all the girls' attention, now everyone's interested in the new cutie :ph34r:

Based on the family pictures that we saw back in episode 13 on the Global, coupled with the fact that he knows Aimo, there's a very good chance that Brera is Ranka's brother (though it's unknown if anyone actually knows this). Assuming that, he's definitely a cyborg.

I can't shake the feeling that Brera's shot that hit Alto's wing wasn't exactly unintentional... It's odd that Brera would be so insistant that only HE is allowed to protect Ranka.

i think Brera's probably a cyborg too... but i don't think he intentionally shot at Alto. given the situation, every split second counts, Ranka would've been space dust if he didn't shoot at that time. Also, he did tell Alto to move off... :p

oh well... Alto chalks up some repairs again. sucks to be the maintenance crew for him :ph34r:

poor hime used to be getting all the girls' attention, now everyone's interested in the new cutie :ph34r:

I don't think that's why Alto's angry with him, though. :lol:

i think Brera's probably a cyborg too... but i don't think he intentionally shot at Alto. given the situation, every split second counts, Ranka would've been space dust if he didn't shoot at that time. Also, he did tell Alto to move off... :p

Brera's always telling Alto to move off. He did the same thing in episode 14 right before he flew into the hole that Alto had created in the Vajra nestship. It seems to be going beyond mere bodyguarding, and more into an "Only I can protect her!" attitude.

Why does everyone have to "think" Brera's a cyborg...? We KNOW he is!

Or is there something I'm missing here...?

And I loved how, in Ranka's Island 14 photo ops, Brera's always there...someone in Ranka's PR department isn't doing his job... ^_^

I don't think that's why Alto's angry with him, though. :lol:

hmmm.... because....

Brera can wear super low cut pants without exposing his... :ph34r:

nah... could it be... Alto wants Brera's bodyguard job? :p

kk... i give up :p ....

btw, makes me wonder if Brera still has "them" :lol: or maybe it was blown up in that vajra attack when he was a kid. :ph34r:

Brera's always telling Alto to move off. He did the same thing in episode 14 right before he flew into the hole that Alto had created in the Vajra nestship. It seems to be going beyond mere bodyguarding, and more into an "Only I can protect her!" attitude.

guess Alto's always in the way... and slow to get out of the way. :p

yea. Brera seems overly obsessed with his new duty. :wacko:

Brera is a the hero for Frontier. In epi.14 he grandly introduce himself after rescuing Ranka (Frontier new idol), and now he's Ranka personal bodyguard. Brera indeed became Ranka's prince in shining armor just like Grace planned. I bet this make Alto pissed since he know that Brera is up to something.

Edited by Morpheus

Why does everyone have to "think" Brera's a cyborg...? We KNOW he is!

Or is there something I'm missing here...?

Someone earlier was operating off of the assumption that Brera was believed to be an android, and speculating that maybe he was actually a cyborg.

I don't think androids would even be legal, would they? They'd be independent AIs like Sharon Apple. Even if Galaxy was working on them, that's not something that you'd want to show off to Frontier when you've got plenty of other pilots to choose from.

:ph34r::blink::o

She already has a replacement?

:huh:

you see a flight of 3 Quad's in one of the scene's... 13:51 to be exact... I can't take screenshots for some reason... :( hopefully someone can take one...

And the three Quads even have a red one leading them, indicating that it's almost certainly Clan Clan and the Pixie Team. We didn't see or hear from Nene, though, so the fact that we didn't see or hear Ramaria's replacement isn't that surprising.

One item that I forgot until just now...

Interesting name for Ranka's concert ('Revenge'). You can see it in the corner of one of the large advertisement boards in the background during the scene when she's in the car with Grace and Brera. I'm guessing that she didn't pick that name...

Interesting name for Ranka's concert ('Revenge'). You can see it in the corner of one of the large advertisement boards in the background during the scene when she's in the car with Grace and Brera. I'm guessing that she didn't pick that name...

Grace and Leon are using Ranka for war propaganda. Ranka first live concert was canceled due to Vajra attack, and they make the second concert with the title 'revenge', I wonder if this is the name of the Vajra annihilation operation or for Ranka live concert in future episode.

Grace and Leon are using Ranka for war propaganda. Ranka first live concert was canceled due to Vajra attack, and they make the second concert with the title 'revenge', I wonder if this is the name of the Vajra annihilation operation or for Ranka live concert in future episode.

It seemed more like the name of a tour, hehe...

Btw... Does anybody has the pic from next episode's preview where a chibi Ranka appears? ^_^

Next episode's title "Goodbye Sister" does not bode well :o

Yeah I too am down on this episode. No fun fighting the Vaggies if they have no fight in them. Funny seeing the Vaggie-Ka-Bob at the start of the ep with Alto and a CFVF.

That sounds like some kind of gay battle cry

"FIGHT THE VAGGIES!" :)